Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increasing player numbers on Steam - What do you think is the reason?

Doc-Orange

Hi. The player numbers on Steam are increasing rapidly. The last 30 days were the alltime high of average player number . http://steamcharts.com/app/230410

Last 30 Days 39,785.1 +782.9 +2.01% 58,314
July 2017 39,002.2 +13,100.1 +50.58% 58,314
June 2017 25,902.0 -1,879.2 -6.76% 51,423
May 2017 27,781.2 -2,795.2 -9.14% 47,732
April 2017 30,576.4 -147.3 -0.48% 50,822

What do you think are the reasons? I see some possibilities;

1. Disappointment about Destiny 2 Beta: Because of some dissppointment there were some comparisons between Destiny and Warframe. Generally Warframe got good opinions-

2. Hype for Plains of Eidolon: I personally started again after I sw the Eidolon video.

3....?

5 minutes ago, Retrijeuj said:

Eidolon, most likely, but I don't know why people start to chose the Steam version over the "normal" launcher.

Oh yeah, Tennogen.

also convenience. some people only get games from steam.

4 minutes ago, Retrijeuj said:

Eidolon, most likely, but I don't know why people start to chose the Steam version over the "normal" launcher.

Oh yeah, Tennogen.

Or, like me. You find the game through the steam store and never bother to install the standalone. Im pretty sure that goes for most steam players.

Some people also like having access to the Steam overlay (to chat with Steam friends, or whatever.)  And some people like for all the games they play to count towards Steam weirdness like trading cards and Steam Achievements.  Why?  I have no idea.  And yes, the fact that you need a Steam account to buy Tennogen items probably has some effect on it.

For me it's the ability to take screenshots.

That said, I'm not one of the ones responsible for the uptick. That July uptick is probably Northern summer holidays, though.
It might be that the Twitch Prime/Warframe promo has made people come in that weren't already

I think this can be contributed to multiple factors.

1. People aren't liking what they saw from the Destiny 2 Beta streams or even the gameplay they experienced.

2. Old players that took a break or quit are coming back to re-try the more polished game as anticipation for the PoE release.

3. New people saw the PoE trailer and are gearing up for its release.

4. SkillUp made a REALLY good, semi-long Warframe review that included MOST of the key elements and strengths of Warframe in a well-versed manner. He previously had top-tier Division and Destiny content, games with similar audiences, which might be drawing people in.

5. The Steam version has some benefits, such as the Steam environment (Steam Link, Controller Mode), TennoGen, Market skins (Rubedo & Phased) and people just enjoy having all their games in one place.

All of this combined, I think it's safe to say that the Warframe playerbase is on the rise again, as is usual around big releases.

Edited by JariWeis

Just now, JariWeis said:

I think this can be contributed to multiple factors.

1. People aren't liking what they saw from the Destiny 2 Beta streams or even the gameplay they experienced.

2. Old players that took a break or quit are coming back to re-try the more polished game as anticipation for the PoE release.

3. New people saw the PoE trailer and are gearing up for its release.

4. SkillUp made a REALLY good, semi-long Warframe review that included MOST of the key elements and strengths of Warframe in a well-versed manner. He previously had top-tier Division and Destiny content, games with similar audiences, which might be drawing people in.

All of this combined, I think it's safe to say that the Warframe playerbase is on the rise again, as is usual around big releases.

How big is the streamer in 4)? That could be a large factor.

Twitch Prime.

The number of people popping up in Region chat asking how to get their Twitch Frost Prime basically tells you the whole story about the increase in the number of players since June 29th.

The question is will there be retention over August and into mid-September? Will there be retention if DE misses their tentative time frame for Plains of Eidolon (mid/late September)? We've seen the hype-cycle and bust before with Second Dream and TWW.

I just feel this time it was amplified by the Twitch Prime advertisement. 

Probably poe.

Had my friend who originally was meant to start WF with me but declared it boring after playing it for an hour or so (Apr 2013 time I think or whatever my profile is), randomly ask me about poe. Doubt he'll play it but he's heard of it and recognised the significant change in gameplay.

I wouldn't even know of this game if it wasn't for Steam. Started cause it was in top 10 number of players online. 

And steam is my favorite tool to for gaming and I probably won't spend time on a game if it wasn't on steam. 

Being on steam top 10 players online is hard especially if you are a 4 year old game. Its a platform which has 8.5-14 million players online all the time. 

7 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

Or, like me. You find the game through the steam store and never bother to install the standalone. Im pretty sure that goes for most steam players.

This is pretty much how I got into Warframe 3 years ago, saw it on steam and decided to give it a try, wasnt until a few months later I learned there even was a standalone launcher.

3 hours ago, Nova73 said:

This is pretty much how I got into Warframe 3 years ago, saw it on steam and decided to give it a try, wasnt until a few months later I learned there even was a standalone launcher.

Same here. Though in my case 4 years ago even. Still use the steam version as switching has no advantage.

Ofc i like access to tennogen. But that would not stop me from using the standalone if there was an advantage to it. And there is none.

Edited by Airwolfen

Because WF is becoming a better game every major update. The game is so much improved compared to when it first released.

With PoE, I'll envy how new players will feel jumping into such a big game. I remember when being able to have a ship and a generically engineered dog felt incredibly deep to me as a new player.... The current game must blow their minds, especially when PoE gets released.