Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why dont they show melee weapons range?

Cthala

They've sort of officially answered this a few times.  It has something to do with the melee range variable and hitboxes and it isn't as easy as printing a value for us to see or something.

Its been promised many times, though, that they are (probably) working on it.  With all the different craftable melee weapons in Plains coming up I hope they plan on being more transparent with the stats.

Would also very much like to see melee slam damage, range, special effects damage/range and many many other stats that are currently hidden.

problem is some combo's have more reach than your basic stanceless combos in form of aoe or something like defiled snapdragon's combo where u have small break from hitting E (yeah didn't remember what it's called) and last hit of said combo has greatly longer reach than even charged "yoink" move c.c

so u'd have to list every single combo's reach and that will likely never happen c.c

I think the issue was something to do with different attacks at different stages of combos having different reaches so there is no standard distance for any given weapon.  Giving a distance for the weapon's quick attack would be nice though and I would think that should be possible.

19 minutes ago, Katinka said:

I think the issue was something to do with different attacks at different stages of combos having different reaches so there is no standard distance for any given weapon.  Giving a distance for the weapon's quick attack would be nice though and I would think that should be possible.

There is a standard combo for every weapon, So they could display the range of the standard combo. Or Just the range of a single swipe. I cant think of a valid reason why not to.

Even the standard combo will consist of about 3 different swings, each with differing reaches and some may have more reach to the sides but less to the front (sweeps vs thrusts for example). 

I do think they should give us a number so we can compare weapons and know if something has 10% greater reach than another but I understand how that number wont always reflect how far you actually strike.  Similar to how attack speed can't truly be compared across different weapon types as stances affect it so it can only really be used to compare weapons of the same type.

51 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

They've sort of officially answered this a few times.  It has something to do with the melee range variable and hitboxes and it isn't as easy as printing a value for us to see or something.

Its been promised many times, though, that they are (probably) working on it.  With all the different craftable melee weapons in Plains coming up I hope they plan on being more transparent with the stats.

Would also very much like to see melee slam damage, range, special effects damage/range and many many other stats that are currently hidden.

Whats not easy in showing us how long is a weapons hitbox at max?

You pick a sword check how long it is and write it down.

I'd say they don't put it there because after you swing your sword three times in combat, you pretty much know what you're going to hit and where.

To put it another way, I don't think very many of us pause in combat to wonder if the mob is in range of our melee weapons. Hell, I don't even look at range on Primary/Secondary weapons much. Test it, mod it, test it again, decide to use it or another, rinse/repeat.

10 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Whats not easy in showing us how long is a weapons hitbox at max?

Ask @[DE]Rebecca I'm just paraphrasing what I recall her stating.  I don't code games for a living so I've no idea how difficult or easy it actually is.  I just know it is information people would like to see.

10 hours ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

I don't think very many of us pause in combat to wonder if the mob is in range of our melee weapons.

You know what would be nice though?  Knowing beforehand that one weapon's slam attack radius is 1meter and another's is 10 meters, prior to actually using it any testing each and every weapon individually to somehow discover this information.

It doesn't matter why people want information, if you don't understand the reasons or don't want the information yourself then it shouldn't really affect you why they do.

Considering the fact that PoE (the other PoE, not ours) can display the base attack range of every melee weapon, and then show the range multiplier for every attack skill (or at least all the ones that don't just use the base attack range), I don't see why DE can't do something similar with displaying the basic range for various attack types.

For example, we currently have Slide, Leap, and Slam damage listed in the UI. Why not add the respective range of each of those in as well, then have it change as mods/stances are swapped in and out.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)S0b1t said:

The range is dependant on which swing of a combo. That would be 20 or so separate values for range... That is why your screen isnt clouded with these values.

False, range is the length of the weapon. A Dakra Prime does not magically change length when you do a slide vs combo hit. The information on how long a weapon is is a constant. I hope it is added in the future.

7 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

False, range is the length of the weapon. A Dakra Prime does not magically change length when you do a slide vs combo hit. The information on how long a weapon is is a constant. I hope it is added in the future.

Except the range does change based on various things done with it and in the middle of one combo vs another one. Which range should they put in the UI? Any one number would be wrong. An average would be wrong. Where have you seen that it doesn't change?

14 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Except the range does change based on various things done with it and in the middle of one combo vs another one. Which range should they put in the UI? Any one number would be wrong. An average would be wrong. Where have you seen that it doesn't change?

Combos have can hit multiple targets sometimes or do AOE damage. That's not to be confused with the weapon's range. The range of a weapon is independent of it's combo and is the max length a unit has to be before the weapon can reach it, simply enough. 

6 minutes ago, -dicht.Goko- said:

Combos have can hit multiple targets sometimes or do AOE damage. That's not to be confused with the weapon's range. The range of a weapon is independent of it's combo and is the max length a unit has to be before the weapon can reach it, simply enough. 

Except DE has said the weapon's range changes during some combos. Or should we believe them to be lying?

The issue is that yada yada stances, but the part of the actual issue is that some weapons have obscene range in comparison and giving the specific information about it will cause a backlash.

Remember, when it was widely spread that Galatine and War's range (pre primed mod and weapon) was actually about 3/4 of the model?  Hm, something something visual feedback does not compute. It also computes less when you have rivens that also increase range and you are left to wonder what is the supposed hit box, and *tinfoil hat on* is it working as intended or flat out bugged. 

Example from my personal Experience : Dex Dakra with Primed Reach and Range riven - In theory should be able to tickle enemies on 4-5 meters away from me, in practice I have no idea what is going on and roll with the punches. Another example is Orthos Prime with its "whatever it is big" range.

20 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Except DE has said the weapon's range changes during some combos. Or should we believe them to be lying?

I'd like to see some quotes or similar on that please. I can't recall having heard DE say that. 

And no, I wouldn't call DE liars. Not sure how you got that from what I said...but imagination can be a powerful asset

46 minutes ago, -dicht.Goko- said:

I'd like to see some quotes or similar on that please. I can't recall having heard DE say that. 

And no, I wouldn't call DE liars. Not sure how you got that from what I said...but imagination can be a powerful asset

Don't have it off the top of my head but there was a question regarding why it isn't stated anywhere what the range is and the answer was that there is no one range number that could be "right" given many stances have combos that alter the range. The person I replied to said this was false, which is rather definite and, unless my memory is really off, false itself.

It would be nice to have this, but it isn't just them hiding the number from us. The weapon's range isn't wrong, it just has no value as a piece of data given it can, and does, change moment to moment when the weapon is being used.

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)S0b1t said:

The range is dependant on which swing of a combo. That would be 20 or so separate values for range... That is why your screen isnt clouded with these values.

We only need the base range, we dont need 20 or more separate values we only want to see the base range of a weapon OR the current max range.