Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you feel about giving away free prime items?

S.Dust

What everyone should be asking themselves isn't whether Soma and Scindo are uber, but which weapons and frames will be in the NEXT Prime for Prime promo. I mean, this is the second one; after the first one with Frost there were people saying it would never happen again, so clearly THEY were mistaken. Anyone saying it won't happen again after THIS one is basically delusional.

18 minutes ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

What everyone should be asking themselves isn't whether Soma and Scindo are uber, but which weapons and frames will be in the NEXT Prime for Prime promo. I mean, this is the second one; after the first one with Frost there were people saying it would never happen again, so clearly THEY were mistaken. Anyone saying it won't happen again after THIS one is basically delusional.

I kinda like it. It gives new players a way to get the vaulted stuff they weren't around for, and promotes the game. So what if it messes with the market prices? It's temporary every time it happens. 

2 hours ago, Knight_Ex said:

Easy, when you introduce an item especially a vaulted item to the market for free then those current prices will either plummet or traders will pull it completely, not a big deal for the moment, however now traders will be mindful of what DE has done and take that into account when farming for other primes, you see a steady decline on the more serious traders...aka the ones that don't try and sell primed items at over inflated prices....yes we do exsist! , Anyway it works the same as a stock market, we are dependent on supply and demand, you take away the demand then we end up with a surplus of the items to which we either have to continue to hold onto or try to unload asap for a ridiculous low costs.  This is especially bad for those that actually purchase vaulted relics with plat as they cannot make their target market pricing and end up losing quite a bit of money and need to struggle to just make cost.

That's not cause for complaint though...

It just means you hold on to the requisite parts until February or so and sell them then.

It's not like there's an item limit to worry about exceeding.

3 hours ago, Knight_Ex said:

I'm more annoyed with the fact that DE sold out to twitch, this is just the tip of the ice berg, give it some time and you will see primed accessories being handed out, I mean they already gave out a quote on quote prime sydana, I still say this is due to their new game Keystone, Twitch would be supplying a heavy source of income so more players equals more money for resources on their new IP.

If you are selling items for plat, that means you are not buying plat.

So how do you expect DE to get paid - when obviously you are not one of those people actually paying?

I am guessing you have an obvious solution that revolves around money growing on trees or some sort.  

Edited by xxswatelitexx

3 hours ago, S.Dust said:

Ok so i just watched a warframe partner and i heard that DE is also going to make the soma prime as a reward along with frost prime for having a twitch prime account im curious about how everyone else feel about this? I'm not against it cause i have both and have sold the sets i've gotten when they weren't vaulted or were unvaulted for short amounts of time, but i cant help but feel like this will effect the game market a bit because no one is gonna buy something they already have and alot of older players have the sets unless they didnt pick them up originally meaning the people who are really buying some of the vaulted sets are the people who weren't around at the time. Yeah so whats your opinion im not gonna complain cause it wouldn't change anything just curious.

Wareframe needs marketing if the game is going to grow.

Twitch is an ideal partnership for them.

2 hours ago, xxswatelitexx said:

If you are selling items for plat, that means you are not buying plat.

So how do you expect DE to get paid - when obviously you are not one of those people actually paying?

I am guessing you have an obvious solution that revolves around money growing on trees or some sort.  

....are you serious right now?  The plat just doesn't materialize out of thin air, I dunno if its a difficult concept for you to grasp but I'll try to dumb it down for you, "Warframe has a community market system, people are free to sell and charge what they want for their merchandise, now lets paint a scenario,  Little Jimmy has a prime set he wants to sell, he tells Little Billy about it,  Little Jimmy says he wants 100p for the set, unfortunately Little Billy doesn't have enough platinum to cover that....so Instead of searching for the elusive platinum tree you seem to think exists Billy simply goes to the warframe website and *gasp* purchases the plat, So DE gets money from this transaction and Little Billy gives Little Jimmy the purchased platinum thus creating more currency in circulation and gets the prime he wanted, wow shocking how that works huh? Its almost like a sale of some kind.

7 hours ago, --Q--Voltage said:

I really do not understand your attitude towards these threads. It is pretty immature and is not appropriate. I think that Soma and Scindo for free is kind of annoying, especially since all these twitch promotions in this game and others is getting annoying and bland. 

I really don't understand your attitude towards the game improving and finding ways to grow the community through new avenues of funding. Every little thing that helps put money in their pocket is a bonus to the game development. Promotions are the price of business, none of what they are giving away is exclusive. DE getting together with Twitch is a great and positive business relationship.

I challenge anyone to create a F2P game and keep it growing over the years without trying to find news ways to promote and fund it! Go ahead I am waiting.......

Doesn't bother me. Everything they have given away for free ive had for ages and its good that other people who may have missed the items have a option to get them. Most people who have them already have probably had them for a long time already and thus have gotten good usage from them and really should get down off that high horse and accept that DE can do pretty much as they please with their game and its content including giving stuff away for free for jumping through some hoops.

10 hours ago, phoenix1992 said:

This is not how it works, and you have yet to prove anything, outside of "well I said so"

Let's try to list reasons for people to be making a problem out of that :
1. As you already mentioned Twitch Prime isn't even available on a global scale.
2. Prime Access and Prime Vault exist. People were putting enough trust (or were just being blinded by shinies, if you want a more cynical approach) in DE as a company, with not a small investment in order to attain items and support Digital Extremes. Prime access ain't cheap.
3. There is ONE new item that is not even tied into the Twitch Prime program.
4. People that already gained those items in any way - grinding, trading or flat out Prime Acces, are getting the cold shoulder. Again. Or you will spin the ball that they should be happy for the "free slots"?
5. Why are the items that are included in this promotion (that was extended couple of times over its original run mind you), Prime variants - again something that has been a big core GAMEPLAY loop for many players, for 3+ years?
6. How will this stop the massive turn over rate? We are "23 million registered", but a quick browse trough the data (can't speak for PS4 or Xbox 1) given from Steam and other sites showing low retention?
7. Is Warframe a game that is even Stream worthy? A common critique towards the game from many players - new or old, is that thare is no competitive edge, there is no end game, there are systems that are flat out boring to Watch or participate in.
8. Yes - you got it, some people are pissed off that they have worked for something that went in smoke (disclaimer : I do not support stockpiling vaulted items and flipping them on trade).
9. Considering the current state of the Prime Vault system, is this the actual way in which to re-release items? Not with event, not with Prime Unvaulting (that again costs not a small coin), or by flat out redesigning the system that holds 60-70% of the primes away from the player base?
10. Why aren't the items something that is trully unique to Twitch (like the syandanas) - we have the limited skins, glyph and what's not - so why so damn lazy considering this aspect?

But yes, mate I am totally mad that they will give away free weapons. You can see me on the annual ""boycot the dex" event we are making in reddit, because DE are giving away Unique items for free and they are adding more each year .

And all of this points dont contradict my statement. How this promotion is any different than prime access? In the end DE gets money and players get items right? Those items were chosen because they will be good sellers, they are fine and good looking. Something like dual toxycyst wouldnt have the impact. I wouldnt be surprised if next promo will include ember prime or loki prime, i know i would do it in their place. This is business and money is on 1st place, always was and always will be. Adding those items to promotion is smart move on their part, minimal effort for big potential profit. Nothing in this game was done "for players" its always for money, if you thought otherwise you are delusional. Twitch exclusive items would create outrage even bigger than those mediocre old weapons. Many players wouldnt be able to get them in any way, for scindo or soma all you have to do is buy some plat (and it will be cheaper than twitch prime when you get discount) and you will have it too. And yes, warframe is not good game to watch thats why streamers need some help, thats why we will have such event. In the end DE gets money, new players get items and you lose nothing so why do you care?

8 hours ago, Knight_Ex said:

....are you serious right now?  The plat just doesn't materialize out of thin air, I dunno if its a difficult concept for you to grasp but I'll try to dumb it down for you, "Warframe has a community market system, people are free to sell and charge what they want for their merchandise, now lets paint a scenario,  Little Jimmy has a prime set he wants to sell, he tells Little Billy about it,  Little Jimmy says he wants 100p for the set, unfortunately Little Billy doesn't have enough platinum to cover that....so Instead of searching for the elusive platinum tree you seem to think exists Billy simply goes to the warframe website and *gasp* purchases the plat, So DE gets money from this transaction and Little Billy gives Little Jimmy the purchased platinum thus creating more currency in circulation and gets the prime he wanted, wow shocking how that works huh? Its almost like a sale of some kind.

You are 50% right hun.
I am guessing you really don't understand how math works.

So I will try to use very simple words to help you, cause it is apparent you need all the help you can get.

If I pay $100 for 1000 platinum>
I trade it for other prime items. The other person gets my 1000 platinum. He uses it to trade for other items. That plat stays in the system. 
Then the other person uses it to trade for Plat - that same 1000 plat stays in the system.

So Kindergarten level question.
If there were 100,000,000 trades between players all using the same 1000 platinum - does DE gain any money from it?

Spoiler Alert.
No.

The only time plat is removed from the economy is in cosmetic purchases, item purchases, or slot purchases. 
In another words - those who simply use plat to trade are essentially provide no benefit to DE at all. 

So next time why don't you actually buy Plat instead of saying DE Sold out when you, yourself are useless to DE's bank? 

50 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

You are 50% right hun.
I am guessing you really don't understand how math works.

So I will try to use very simple words to help you, cause it is apparent you need all the help you can get.

If I pay $100 for 1000 platinum>
I trade it for other prime items. The other person gets my 1000 platinum. He uses it to trade for other items. That plat stays in the system. 
Then the other person uses it to trade for Plat - that same 1000 plat stays in the system.

So Kindergarten level question.
If there were 100,000,000 trades between players all using the same 1000 platinum - does DE gain any money from it?

Spoiler Alert.
No.

The only time plat is removed from the economy is in cosmetic purchases, item purchases, or slot purchases. 
In another words - those who simply use plat to trade are essentially provide no benefit to DE at all. 

So next time why don't you actually buy Plat instead of saying DE Sold out when you, yourself are useless to DE's bank? 

For starters, I ain't your hun, secondly, again are you serious?  Are you really telling me that you think out of all the players in warframe especially new ones just starting off would have a surplus of platinium on standby? Are you deluded? The fact this economy even continues to function is due to the exchanges of purchased platinum and traders, when you factor in how many  concurrent players are in warframe right now you have to factor in how many new players there are....they will not have access to making platinum and will often resort to purchasing platinum from the store, now I don't have the numbers on me but I remember they did a poll on the forums at somepoint on how many players purchased platinum from the store and found many of the new players purchased platinum, whereas the vets had a method of sustaining themselves with their own farming/grinding, to put it in lament terms your right its 50% the facts because we have no way to determine how much platinum is generated by new players purchasing platinum, you must also factor in when someone gets a discount for platinum, like 75% off, a majority of people will take advantage of that deal and thus more purchased platinum,  but again to think that there will always be a constant exchange of traded platinum is being ignorant on how the trade market works.  There will always be someone that doesn't have enough platinum and must resort to purchasing.   Oh and on the issue of being useless to DE, Ive bought the last 4 prime accesses, I indulge when I can of purchasing of platinum when I get a decent discount, can you say the same?   Actually now that I think about it the trade market has so many x factors involved with it that it might be impossible to actually determine the generation of revenue from new players vs exsisting players.

Edited by Knight_Ex

7 hours ago, DogManDan said:

I really don't understand your attitude towards the game improving and finding ways to grow the community through new avenues of funding. Every little thing that helps put money in their pocket is a bonus to the game development. Promotions are the price of business, none of what they are giving away is exclusive. DE getting together with Twitch is a great and positive business relationship.

I challenge anyone to create a F2P game and keep it growing over the years without trying to find news ways to promote and fund it! Go ahead I am waiting.......

I am not going to argue with a content creator.

Soma Prime will not retain players. I can garentee a new player will get bored when they are steamrolling right after Vors Prize. It creates a false sense of progression, and that’s a fact.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

I feel like these kinds of opportunities are fine, as long as DE doesn't overdo them. If a frame or weapon gets tossed up for free takes every other month, there'll be no point to farming for Primes, since people will likely expect to be able to get that particular item for free sometime in the future.

I dunno. It's like DE are asking me to give Twitch £8 for a Soma Prime.

Why should I do that?

I'd rather buy 170 plat with that £8 and buy a Soma Prime from Trade. DE get my £8 (rather than Twitch) (OK, chances are Sony takes some of that £8 but hey ho) and my plat ends up in the trade economy (the economics works using warframe.market price of Soma Prime set).

I'd rather support Warframe (DE and traders) than Twitch.

Not that I do much of either, so maybe a bit hypocritical, but something just feels a bit off about it to me.

I am a new player, been playing for a few weeks now. I have an Amazon Prime account in my home, and by extension, Twitch Prime. From a new player perspective, the Frost Prime I got has helped me tremendously progress in the game. I'm very looking forward to getting the new Twitch prime weapons as they will help me progress even further.

To those complaining about this, go sell something else. It's not as if there are no other tradable prime weapons in the game. The Twitch offer won't last forever and you can go back to selling those in no time...

Edited by vvhorus

3 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

I personally dont care and i wouldnt care even if they give away excalibur prime.

This promotion gives them cash and possible new players our market could crash down like the hindenburg airship i would still say it was a good idea.

Hmmm...that would be the only thing I wouldn't like... DE giving away the founders pack items (or making them attainable in another way in game)...and that's with me obviously not having them, since I just started playing. But ye...that'd be a step too far, since those packs were bought with the assumption that their respective items would stay exclusive and wouldn't return to the game.

But the twitch campaign is a good thing really. It does bring a lot of attention to the game and quite a few new players (myself included). And that's what DE needs. Even if those new players won't be spending $$$ on plat in the foreseeable future, they'll surely start farming prime sets or mods at some point that other players might spend $$$ on in order to buy. So they'll indirectly strengthen the economy as well in the long run.

Edited by Skaar82