Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do we think about the new forum icons?

Spartan336

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Less apt to be used condescendingly as pseudo-downvotes now.

Though you can still laugh at people with dumb opinions :P

Just FYI the laugh emote counts as an upvote.

Still kinda wish there was an emote that showed disagreement/dislike.

Edited by Duckboy3825

52 minutes ago, Duckboy3825 said:

Just FYI the laugh emote counts as an upvote.

Still kinda wish there was an emote that showed disagreement/dislike.

A dislike option never leads to good discussion nor does it foster a positive atmosphere.  It just gives people room to essentially shout down someone's opinion without ever voicing why, which is useless and helps no one.

7 hours ago, Littleman88 said:

A dislike option never leads to good discussion nor does it foster a positive atmosphere.  It just gives people room to essentially shout down someone's opinion without ever voicing why, which is useless and helps no one.

but it does give a quick visual indication to the OP, often the dev's, whether we approve of their idea or not....

I didn't even notice it was missing but I do agree we need a 'disapprove' option, what's the point in having all the other emotes if they're all just 'positive' ones when there are times when we don't like stuff like in real life....

Gonna missed the confused emote the most. I get it was used as a "downvote" button, but what other option did we have? We sould be able to express disagreement if we're not able to put a detailed response. Now the icons are too friendly and doesn't do anything but enforce certain behaviors. 

2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

but it does give a quick visual indication to the OP, often the dev's, whether we approve of their idea or not....

I didn't even notice it was missing but I do agree we need a 'disapprove' option, what's the point in having all the other emotes if they're all just 'positive' ones when there are times when we don't like stuff like in real life....

If you dislike a post, say why, and then let the likes towards that post serve as a form of down vote towards the opposition.  Down votes are just a grievance that dissuades conversation by giving the opponent a way to instantly disagree while not giving the defendant anything to work with and offer little to no info as to why or what exactly their opponents disagree with.  It's just not a beneficial feature in any capacity.

Dislikes procure no positive reactions.  People don't feel good about disliking a post (unless they take pleasure in being spiteful,) the poster doesn't feel good about their post being disliked, and getting a simple dislike doesn't tell the developers if the post got a dislike because of the topic of the post or because the poster called someone a jerky-mc-jerk face (yes, people will downvote for one small part of a whole post they might otherwise agree with.)  It gets worse when it gets to hive-mind levels, where dislikes can dissuade people from speaking their opinion at all for fear of mass down votes.  And here's the truth of the matter - people are more willing to down vote than they are to up vote.

Reaching for my strawman to provide an example, imagine someone down voting a post saying "The modding system is fine!  It doesn't need fixed!"  Down voting that is akin to saying "the modding system is broken, please fix it."  Fix it how though?  Where does DE start?

And while liking the "modding system is fine!" post doesn't explain why One likes it specifically, it can be properly inferred that people liking it generally think the system is fine exactly the way it is.

But if "modding is fine and here's why!" gets 15 upvotes and, "modding is broken and here's why!" gets 40?  Well, now we see where the community stands on the topic, and it instinctively laid the ground work for discussion in the process.  That's a win-win.

Finally, NO ONE starts a topic asking for a dislike button.  But they will start topics complaining about it.  Made this observation on every gaming forum I've been on.  (YMMV, my bias and all that.)

Simply put, if as a developer you want to foster positive discussion on your boards, you'll want to make sure to only provide tools that create positive reactions.  "Positive reactions" includes posting with an opposing viewpoint, and then police them as such (no witch hunts, no rewriting quoted text beyond *snip* to save on screen space, etc.)

Edited by Littleman88
Re-ordering text.

I'd be happy if it went back to a little green up arrow and nothing else. Although good to see a Forum change that hasn't brought everything else to a crashing standstill unlike most of the other recent changes

Edited by AzureTerra

1 hour ago, Littleman88 said:

snip

I never said anything about not posting elsewhere, but the simple fact is that a 'dislike' button does give a visual cue to whether or not the original post has been positively received without the need to go through in some cases over 100 pages.   This purely 'positive' approach is also a very clever way of hiding the fact that a large proportion of people dislike something being suggested by the dev's for example, the changes to focus for example had a pretty large number of sad emoticons attached, now with the change this has been removed so it now looks like 'everyone' loves the changes being put forward and this is quite simply not true if you read the thread. 

40 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I never said anything about not posting elsewhere, but the simple fact is that a 'dislike' button does give a visual cue to whether or not the original post has been positively received without the need to go through in some cases over 100 pages.   This purely 'positive' approach is also a very clever way of hiding the fact that a large proportion of people dislike something being suggested by the dev's for example, the changes to focus for example had a pretty large number of sad emoticons attached, now with the change this has been removed so it now looks like 'everyone' loves the changes being put forward and this is quite simply not true if you read the thread. 

And the forum is better for it.  Never said people would like it, just the psychology is there.  Dislikes don't contribute to a discussion.