Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... what if Warframe shuts down?

Tellakey

2 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Ohhh getting philosophical, are we?

I definitely have more going for me in life than a video game. Thing is, to prioritize quality over quantity with my time I have to focus more on real life matters and only slightly on the video game aspect of it. Warframe happens to fill that niche in the video game department that has only enough space for one game. Therefore, as the only game, I have set aside time to play, it is natural that I will invest more emotional resources into it, hence it becomes more valuable and so more expensive in case of a loss.

Many people here got the idea that Warframe is my life. It's actually the contrary. Specifically because I want to focus on real life matters more than gaming, I need the little gaming that I do do to be of high quality. Instead of drifting from game to game I need to settle down on one game that satisfies my standards and will allow me to invest in it alone what I would invest in many other games. 

I other words - I play only one game, so I'm making sure it's the right one.

I didn't mean to imply that the game was your life. If that's how it came across then I apologize. Forgive me for making assumptions, but if it is the only game you play and invest time into then it seems to be your only escape from the effort your real life requires. If it does go away then any alternatives are going to seem empty and pointless. If you ever had to find an alternative then that could be a good place to start: find some games that are "empty and pointless" to play. What do I mean by that? Well, there's always games that don't really have any form of progression, or forms of progression that can be completely destroyed or stolen like full loot survival game.

That's not to say you should divorce yourself from Warframe, and I'm not outright telling you to do anything like this. Just throwing some ideas out there for hypothetical purposes.

Literally no one can answer your question for you.  That being as to whether it is the right game for you or not.

My personal opinion, there is no "right" game.  There's simply the game which I am choosing to play.  They come and go and nothing will ever change that.

" It is not my mind to ask questions that cannot be answered. That is the soul standing upon the crossroad of vacillation. You search for wisdom, but achieve only a stasis of will. "

I think you are personally setting yourself up for massive disappointment. 

There are 3 ways life works

1. If you are resource poor, delaying the inevitable

2. If you have metaphorically unlimited resources, you take a YOLO approach and indulge yourself as much as possible

3. All investments on earth last until some kind of global extinction or until the sun dies out. We are 100% dependent on the sun and the limited resources of the earth. If it decides to die out suddenly, we enter an ice age and eventually die off. If we run out of things to mine from this earth, we are also screwed.

Also, your investment is too narrow and constrictive. Whereas you seem to be dependent upon a single source of value (all eggs in one basket, the most horrible approach to investing unless you get super lucky or are super obsessed), most people retrieve value out of multiple products (diversity investment) so if ONE source of values goes away, they can take comfort knowing they have other great games to play.

However, even diversity investment requires some careful planning.

For example, I play Warframe, Shadow of War, AC: Origins, and Maplestory.

Currently, I am getting a bit bored of Maplestory. So I tried Warframe again since I remember how unique of a game it was. If Warframe's servers ever go down, I can rely on SoW or ACO as backup. I can rely on those 2 games so long as Steam or Uplay is running. Now, if both of those platforms ever go down, I'm banking on the fact that steam said they will provide DRM free versions of their titles. Now, since a WB account enhances the value I get out of SoW, rather than mandating its use, I can still continue SoW.

Now, if my computer suddenly died, I can fall back on my Nintendo 3DS or my Nintendo Switch. As long as those have power, or if I have a lot of stored up battery banks, I can play until I can no longer charge the devices.

As you can see, nothing is permanent and everything is merely delaying the day when I can no longer entertain myself.

All my investments enhance the experience I presently get, but none of that will stay forever. To say your life is ruined because something temporary disappeared, is the worst kind of relationship you can put yourself in. You ponder upon it, but the sooner you can get back to your feet, the better.

To be quite honest, I feel that warframe’s days are numbered. When the day comes that warframe’s servers shut down and the game as a whole is thrust into limbo (ha, get it?), the one thing that will truly remain is the community.

We’ll venture off into other games, other worlds, other universes, in much the same way we ventured through the solar system. We’ll get good at those other games and eventually we’ll play as a certain character that seems oddly familiar.

We’ll play as a swordsman wielding the power of a mighty holy blade, an elemental dragon adapting to any challenge it faces, a rift-walker using its mastery of another dimension to its advantage, a huntress stalking its foes from the shadows, a savage killer ripping her foes leaving nothing but bloodstains on the walls.

We’ll maybe even find other people that were there when the game fell. “What was the last thing you did before the fall?” we’ll ask each other.

Some of us will recount standing in the relays, saying tearful goodbyes to all of our friends. Others will have been playing one last game of lunaro. Still others will be  gazing at the trading chat, trying to make the last bit of platinum they can just for stunts. And still others will be saying “Goodbye warframe. Thank you DE” in region chat.

What I’m saying is, the game will eventually die, but the community will live on.

The day will come when Warframe shuts down, either due to competition (finally) or because Warframe 2.  Every engine has its limits.

Though in the event of competition taking Warframe down, DE has a secret weapon - Excalibur Prime. 

Don't know how effective it will be between Umbra and a supposedly better game taking Warframe down though.

But if I were a bettin' man, I'd say Warframe 2 would be the culprit.  For some reason developers just aren't coming close to following in Warframe's footsteps, more like trying to create Borderlands Online.

Edited by Littleman88

4 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

Have you ever had this thought? How do you feel about it?

You’re paying for entertainment, not a physical item. You pay so that you can make your miserable existence a little less miserable for a while. It’s like watching a show. You pay for a temporary escape from reality. All good things must eventually.

7 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Any psychological anxieties thereabout? I mean, not so much that a game you like has shut down, but that so much investment has gone to waste. Sure, you could say that the journey is the true reward of it all, that the fun and joy of playing was worth it.

It may be the majority's way of seeing it. I just can't. When I invest in something, I necessarily see it as a long-term contribution to my life. An online game is no difference. I hardly play anything, because I'd hate to waste time on something I'd ultimately ditch.

Warframe specifically is a game I feel I can linger about forever. I went so far as to stop video-gaming entirely to ensure that the little time I do dedicate to Warframe is an investment that will last me a lifetime, or however long I can sustain it.

The only game I was sad to see go was City of Heroes.

...Once it happens for the first time, you realize they all go that route eventually.

Warframe is in a unique position... As long as Steve is helming the IP and it's turning some profit, it'll probably be available to play methinks. 

Eh, if and when it'll happen it'll happen.

Still chattin/ playing with all the cool peeps I met in this game in other games, etc in the off time we don't play WF for now. Sure the time investment might go down the drain and amount to nothing at a later point but online games are like that to begin with. At the very least WF is doing very well and the following is extremely loyal (for good reason too) that it's gotten to where we are at for now.

Like on star trek next gen last episode "all good things must come to an end"  Warframe Wil eventually end. And yes this is maybe one 'free' to play games that I spent more money(support) than other. 

By the looks warframe now it is money well spent. I just hope they end it well.

10 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

Have you ever had this thought? How do you feel about it?

I remember that i use to play a game called warface day and night

I invested a lot of time and money in it

Then one day, they decided to shut it down, so i moved on to warframe.

I guess if history repeats itself, i will move to something else

Had this happen to me a few years back. The game was called Grand Chase. I started playing a few months after it came out and I kept playing till the day they shut it down. I had all the characters and all their sub classes and more than a few top-tier pets. I miss it. I really miss it. 

I ended up jumping into another game to devote the same passion and got bored because it didn't feel the same. I play warframe now and id like to think this game keeps me entertained as much as Grand Chase did. R.I.P Grand Chase

Even if WF dies and DE moves to their next pet project, I am fine really.

I joined WF during the rise of the warlords updated, the enjoyment I get and paid for since 2013 is well worth the price vs many AA games. It is going 5 years. Maybe Warframe will make it past 8 years or even 10 years, who knows.
But for what it is worth, I had not regretted a dollar spent yet.

I must say this otherwise I'd do injustice to my own thoughts and likings but don't know should I use the term 'Practical or Reality' but I find you insanely negative. Your first few lines changed my mood, no offense but true. May be already more than 1K $ to nearly 2K $ I have already invested till date but never thought the way you did, yes I ONLY play warframe from the day I found it around 3 years ago and I am still loving it for whatever and however it is. Every prime access release costs you $139 (Tier-3) for the entertainment starting from a few hours to maximum a few days, moreover it only stays for 3 months to welcome another one which itself indicates even the offerings in game aren't there to be with you forever; so why should you think in that way to ruin the enjoyment you can have now and also trying to do the same with others as words effect minds when spoken in the decently worst way possible.

1 hour ago, Dark_Prince_Duke said:

I must say this otherwise I'd do injustice to my own thoughts and likings but don't know should I use the term 'Practical or Reality' but I find you insanely negative. Your first few lines changed my mood, no offense but true. May be already more than 1K $ to nearly 2K $ I have already invested till date but never thought the way you did, yes I ONLY play warframe from the day I found it around 3 years ago and I am still loving it for whatever and however it is. Every prime access release costs you $139 (Tier-3) for the entertainment starting from a few hours to maximum a few days, moreover it only stays for 3 months to welcome another one which itself indicates even the offerings in game aren't there to be with you forever; so why should you think in that way to ruin the enjoyment you can have now and also trying to do the same with others as words effect minds when spoken in the decently worst way possible.

Ahh... what?

I guess you are saying I'm spoiling the enjoyment of others by bringing up my ideas that make them doubt their comfort? 

17 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I think your view of games is a faulty one, quite frankly. Games are temporary. All of them are.

If you mean that all things including life are temporary I get it but plenty of game are lasting a lifetime or more. Still working Atari 2600 systems and cartridges and the like. NES is moving into that territory. Watched a documentary and NES Tetris players where in there are people who stopped moving game to game at Tetris and unless something physically destroys all cartridges and systems will last all of their life time as that's still all some of them play today.

I hope Warframe lasts for my lifetime but as crappy/depressing as it ending would be Rock Band is my forever game so I have some insulation there. All good.

I have this thought a decent amount, but not only Warframe, but with friends, too. We'll all have to part ways eventually.

I would probably have a moment of silence for Warframe, and beating the life out of Stalker countless times. After that, i would travel all the way back to Nirn, travel to my hometown being Skyrim, and chill. I'll make some weapons, then name them Warframe names. I would make a bow, name it Dread, summon a Flame atronach, call it Ember, Storm atronach being Volt, Frost atronach being Frost. I would do all i can to remember the chaotic days of Warframe

5 minutes ago, (PS4)PS_90210 said:

I have this thought a decent amount, but not only Warframe, but with friends, too. We'll all have to part ways eventually.

I would probably have a moment of silence for Warframe, and beating the life out of Stalker countless times. After that, i would travel all the way back to Nirn, travel to my hometown being Skyrim, and chill. I'll make some weapons, then name them Warframe names. I would make a bow, name it Dread, summon a Flame atronach, call it Ember, Storm atronach being Volt, Frost atronach being Frost. I would do all i can to remember the chaotic days of Warframe

That's... hilarious, and adorable. I can respect that.

19 hours ago, Mints said:

Well that would be a part of it. I don't know about you but I've spent an awful lot more money on Steam, a Digital Rights Management platform, than I have on Warframe as an individual game. Some day all of this stuff is going to go away. Some day all of us are going to go away. Worrying about if X service shuts down isn't really worth your time. Enjoy it while it lasts. You're better off that way.

That some deep existential philosophy there, friend.