Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Great article by Polygon

METAHUMVN

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/2/16830328/warframe-free-to-play-f2p-platinum

Again, it's great to see Warframe getting mainstream support, and this article is fairly accurate in describing the evolution of Warframe's monetary system. I didn't know that in the past, players could pay plat to randomly color their Kubrows! (which the devs then promptly removed after players started gambling with it lol)

That being said, this quote by Sheldon from the interview stuck out to me XD:

“However in the game you can look in the codex and see specifically which enemy drops that mod, so if there’s a specific mod you’re after you know how you can go after it. So then, even in the situations where there is some randomness in the game, there are ways to kind of understand where that is if that’s the thing you really care about. You can go hunt that enemy for awhile and you’re bound to get it.”

:crylaugh:

(cue the maiming strike fans who never got the mod)

JK

But all seriousness, let's keep Warframe great and continue to support DE so that they have the strength to remain true to their mission!

-:satisfied:

don't forget about the fact that you need to scan the enemy first, and that you don't really know the spawn rate of that enemy and how common/rare it is 

a lot of WF marketing is like this, hiding the 'bad' stuff, but I guess that's just how marketing works XD

that aside, great article :D 

EDIT: again, 160 people, not even all of them working on the game directly (support...etc) but they're developing a game with 30M players and it's ever expanding........I can't help but :facepalm: when I think about this 

it's just not right and they need to do something about this 

EDIT 2: I wonder, which frame did they mean when they said "people say it's abilities on stream and didn't like them, so we changed them afterwards" I don't recall such a thing : / 

Edited by GinKenshin

lol at some of the comments in the article.... not exactly accurate is it

For example

“Our PC audience knows that in the first couple of days, the first week when we release something, they’re the testbed to see if it’s going to work, and we’re just gobbling up their feedback, processing it and trying our best to alter, change, adjust values and balance it better,”

“We show the raw stuff, things that a lot of people would be embarrassed to show, to get a gauge for how they players are feeling about the changes to get a feeling if we’re on the right path or if we need to massage things a little bit,” Crookes said.

Yet it took nearly 2 months to do changes to gara, then when they changed it they didn't listen to us saying there was no scaling for higher end and we end up with an 'ultimate' ability that is basically used to buff another ability so she is basically a walking blender.  Ash is still waiting on fixes to the issues that needed fixing last rework (what was that about a year ago..) but got ignored and instead introduced new issues.   We've still got issues with limbo stopping bullets and we've got players who have issues with certain frames due to abilities that basically make anyone else in the team redundant....

They also talk about rng on kubrows and how they removed the colour lever due to players disliking it's rng, yet neglect to mention that the whole breeding side of pets is rng unless you use imprints from someone else who lucked into the rng lottery...

“Our community loves the feeling of being able to get that super rare thing by playing the game, but first you have to have the game they love to play and you have to have those loops set up to get the feedback from the community,” Carter said.

Um... yeah we do enjoy getting those super rare things by playing the game but we also wish you wouldn't use stupidly low drop rates....1% on razorback rare items and 4% on rare acolyte items for example are just too low. 

Years I ago I wrote to Polygon, Gameinformer, and other sites, shaming them for missing the story with Warframe. I couldn’t articulate all the reasons, partly because the contrasting issues hadn’t all surfaced yet. For example the poor quality of so many AAA games. And of course the recent loot box controversy. 

4 hours ago, LSG501 said:

For example

Yet it took nearly 2 months to do changes to gara, then when they changed it they didn't listen to us saying there was no scaling for higher end and we end up with an 'ultimate' ability that is basically used to buff another ability so she is basically a walking blender.  Ash is still waiting on fixes to the issues that needed fixing last rework (what was that about a year ago..) but got ignored and instead introduced new issues.   We've still got issues with limbo stopping bullets and we've got players who have issues with certain frames due to abilities that basically make anyone else in the team redundant....

They also talk about rng on kubrows and how they removed the colour lever due to players disliking it's rng, yet neglect to mention that the whole breeding side of pets is rng unless you use imprints from someone else who lucked into the rng lottery...

Um... yeah we do enjoy getting those super rare things by playing the game but we also wish you wouldn't use stupidly low drop rates....1% on razorback rare items and 4% on rare acolyte items for example are just too low. 

Uh, i think the 4% is fine because of the amount of runs people got. Many players were able to get in 10s to 100s of runs, so the chances are fine imo.

5 hours ago, LSG501 said:

For example

I'd rather they left limbo alone lol, I haven't had an issue with her but she's my goto frame for headshot riven challenges which she makes a cakewalk of. That and grineer mobile defense.

Edited by grrmisfit

5 hours ago, clxrffdman said:

Uh, i think the 4% is fine because of the amount of runs people got. Many players were able to get in 10s to 100s of runs, so the chances are fine imo.

You shouldn't be working out if a drop chance is acceptable based on the no real life farmers....

Let's see how much shenanigans they will pull out this time 

Clarification, this is a post before I have read the article, Edit will follow.

Aaaaaaaand from the get go, a half baked statement.

"While Digital Extremes won’t talk about the conversion rate of free to paid players or how large the audience is, outside of noting the daily active players of 2017 was double what it was in 2016"

No, PoE launch had those numbers, 2016 before and post PoE was a lot different. Warframe has an issue with retaining player base, something that any "vet" already knows.
Want a proof that is not out of my backside?
http://steamcharts.com/app/230410

(this is excluding non steam users or console users, of which they are many as well)

Check out the tides of in/out players. I am not saying Warframe has not gained a lot of new players, I am saying that "double the player base" is broad statment at best. Logging in for daily reward or sorties ain't exactly good for the longevity.

Followed up is such a greasy "DE did good" job, that it can be classified as softcore adult movie. Which in all fairness is.... deserved. Digital Extremes is a special case and deserves great recognition.

DE did rebel against the publishers, they did start with small and tight community and constant communication, the game did change a lot in the start of its road.  Did DE retain that - can't twist my face and say 100% yes.

After that praise, comes the supposed meat of the subject - the F2P, Prime and Founder programs - how the trade and gearing system is fair and can compete with 3A studios and so on.

Ok lads, let me try to lay a point of view that was not "commissioned work" (normal reporters or youtube celebrities) or something that will bring me the "ads" money (most content creators).

I love Warframe for what it is at its's core. I love the fact that I got so far mostly on my own wits and skills with very few hand outs. I love hacking and slashing at enemies, I love blowing them to pieces, burning them to ash and generally playing "Grineer torture simulator". There is no other game like Warframe and I don't think there will be soon.

But I am not blind. There are multiple issues in both the glorified "paying systems" (tennogen, deluxe bundles, general cash shop, mod packs, rare mods, rivens), the progression systems (hello there Baro), the new content (BUGS, SHINY BUGS!!!), the communication lay out (I hope you are a youtube creator or a big reddit star) and the day to day play trough of the game.  Things that could have been avoided, changed or handled much more gracefully but were not due to multiple reasons.  I want DE to prosper, Warframe to grow and stand trough the flow of time, but changes must be made and goals must be set in the near future or we Warframe will stay relatively obscure.

Edited by phoenix1992

6 hours ago, Volinus7 said:

Polygon doesn't know that DE sold themselves to gain publishers in China. Lol

Pay to skip the intended excessive grind seems to be ethical to the guy who wrote that article, means DE should cook up a lot more Hema fiascos. :cool:

Yeah, because Warframe wasn't a grind-fest before that transaction. 

18 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

You know... every time I see Polygon mentioned, I just remember their DOOM 2016 footage..

Man that was atrocious.

Good article. Polygon.

Pick one.

Edit: This one wasn't half bad however.

Edited by WhiteCr0w

5 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

"Warframe’s endgame content feels not just endless, but meaningful in a way that Destiny 2 is seeming to struggle with."

there's an endgame?

where is it? I wanna try it

Warframe has an end game? Do they mean fashion fishing? No seriously what end game are they talking about? I'm very curious what they actually mean by end game?

4 hours ago, Draugurr said:

Warframe has an end game? Do they mean fashion fishing? No seriously what end game are they talking about? I'm very curious what they actually mean by end game?

What I think is that whoever tried it didnt really got up to late game levels. 

I don't blame them. This game takes time to get there and learn it's intrincasies, in such way that it can't be correctly represented in reviews done on a traditional, time efficient way. But it also means they probably missed every single major issue with the game (past new player experience) exactly because they are more present on the latter stages of the game. 

I haven't played Destiny, but something tells me their late game isn't much worse than this. 

On 05/01/2018 at 3:23 PM, tnccs215 said:

"Warframe’s endgame content feels not just endless, but meaningful in a way that Destiny 2 is seeming to struggle with."

there's an endgame?

where is it? I wanna try it

22 hours ago, Draugurr said:

It's #FashionFrame, FishingFrame and PimpYourOrbiter end game metas.

Those mainstream websites didn't give a shiet about warframe until they saw that sweet 30 million large playerbase which is a huge potential for clicks, now everyone's writing a "success story" article. I mean, it's good that WF is getting the recognition it deserves, just let's not forget that those websites are just in it for the clicks. They want the 30 million tenno ad revenue.

Edited by Berdfess