The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should DE Expand For Faster Updates?

Tellakey

When you take a look at Warframe's history and account for both the good and the bad, one issue has remained a constant: player fatigue, AKA lack of content for veterans.

Can we expect the game updates to become more rapid as Warframe gains in popularity and DE's profit, by extension, grows? This is especially relevant what with the game seeing a surge in marketing and public presence in 2017.

The word of the Plains of Eidolons had reached many unfamiliar players. The game made a debut on social media platforms like the VGAs as well as winning Steam's Labor of Love award.

All of that said, should we look forward to a more rapid development and content production in the game?

Edit:

To clarify, when I say faster updates I do not necessarily mean newer content, rather speeding up what is already being worked on. For example, instead of waiting a year and more for a main quest, we now wait half a year without a drop in quality.

Edited by Tellakey

48 minutes ago, kyori said:

Actually you have to find out if they have employed more people to work on the game, if not then it won't be happening.

Exactly. Should they?

22 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

Do you think Space Mom will find us a Space Dad?

Well... considering Ballas...

From my experiance with wot

It really hypefest when new thing coming at first

But after long time it become dull...

Like.. why new thing ? Why dont fix the eternal issue from century ago ? Why new powercreep that render a hugeload of grind to be obsolete ?

Good thing DE still keep thier word to be grindfest f2p

Unlike the aforemention game which went back on thier word and now becone semi-p2w

True. As actually with each update (event or quest or anything related to tilesets) the game get more un-optimized, having more ram memory issue. They like to rush things out then much later they do the optimization.

Look to the torrid history of CCP who makes EvE online.

They kept bloating their teams when times where good and the subscriber base was running high. The moment numbers stared to stagnate and drop because maybe that update was not that popular (maybe it was two meh expansions in a row). They had to lay off a ton of the workforce.

It happened again recently because they threw too much into VR development and layed off about 100 people.

Not to mention the no short term benefits to us as new team members take a long time to get up to speed with everything DE and current projects. Plus throwing more people at a project is no guarantee at speeding anything up, specially at DE where many systems could still be changing even a few weeks from expected release of a update. We get faster updates when Scott and Steve ever agree on something.

Edited by Firetempest

27 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Doesn't this game get relatively fast updates now?

While we get a speedy hotfix usually at least once per week (aside from holidays), large systems take years to get updated. It really depends on who you are. I say we get speedy hotfixes/weekly updates, but we have to wait ages for systems that desperately need help to get attention. Perspective :D

Edited by --Q--Voltage

1 minute ago, --Q--Voltage said:

While we get a speedy hotfix usually at least once per week (aside from holidays), large systems take years to get updated. It really depends on who you are. I say we get speedy hotfixes and small weekly updates, but we have to wait ages for systems that desperately need help to get attention. Perspective :D

I think people would still be disappointed. What people say needs desperate attention isn't always what the devs think need that same attention. I don't think throwing bodies at it would make things go much faster for major systems.

Yeah, DE should expand their team because they don't have enough man power to handle the the amount of contents that are supposed to be released.

Only 4 warframes out of 34 have 3 alternate helmets, Nezha still doesn't have 2nd alternate helmet

Only 19 out of 34 warframes have immortal skins.

Only 16 out of 34 warframes have deluxe skins

Only 19 out of 34 warframes have Prime variant

Titania only has 1 augment and all warframes after her still doesn't have a single augment.

And now they're planning to expand to Umbra variation. Call me pessimist but basing on their track records, you can expect DE only release umbra variant for few starter warframes then stop for a year or two.

Edited by Rekkou

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I think people would still be disappointed. What people say needs desperate attention isn't always what the devs think need that same attention. I don't think throwing bodies at it would make things go much faster for major systems.

I am not too sure about that. Let us say DE hired another 50 people. We could then have a team dedicated to weapon tweaking for more Weapons Balance Passes, a team dedicated to updating Trials, and a team dedicated for tackling Armor Scaling. All while this is going on, DE still has their core people working hard on their new ambitious tasks: Quests, Events, Clan Systems, Venus expansion etc. While I do agree DE has a different mentality of what needs attention than the players (of course it is their game, not ours), I disagree that more employees would not change the pace.

I just hope you guys are buying prime access, plat, and tennogen at the same time as asking them to expand their teams for more content.

There's a reason they're keeping their team lean and making decisions regarding the queue.

Edited by TonyWong

If they HAVE to expand their team, I think there are only four areas that they need more manpower in order to meet the demand.

1. A greater and better-manned bug-killer squad. Moderate Value.

2. A slightly larger optimization adjustment team. Greater Value.

3. A bigger Question-and-Answer team. Greater Value.

4. An expanded support squad. Essential Given Recent Complaints I've Been Seeing Errywhere.

At least, thats my two cents on the matter.

Edited by Unus

15 minutes ago, TonyWong said:

I just hope you guys are buying prime access, plat, and tennogen at the same time as asking them to expand their teams for more content.

There's a reason they're keeping their team lean and making decisions regarding the queue.

It's called "grofit"

Funnily enough, I just recently came about "The mythical man-month" or something. Essentially, it's book written by a programmer that goes through explaining and unraveling some of the near-magic related to the software industry. The author apparently worked for IBM some years back in their OS programming division for servers and the like. 

But in that book, it is explained that throwing people at a problem might actually not speed the project up, but slow it down. You need to train the new people, you need to hire people to supervise the new people. Projects do not get delayed months suddenly at the end by hour by hour during the entire course of the creation process. Same principle applies to basically anything. And truth be told, just bloating the team for a single bit of the game only to cut them loose and maybe hire them again at an even later date does not make for a good work environment.

And also there's the process of tooling. Programmers usually make their own in-house tools to ease their work or even make it possible. It would not be very good for the team if the said balance or weapon design teams suddenly get told that they need to redo everything because the core team upgraded or otherwise changed some aspect of the core game. It's like that thing with the chinese bridge over a river. One group started on one coast and the other at the opposite one. When they finally met up, they realized that the bridges didn't line up by like 3 meters. So now one or both teams are going to have to retouch their work to make it all add up. 

And then there's the issue of finance. Before they can hire more people, they have to be sure that they can pay these people or if they have the office space to even put them in. Yeah, hire 50 people, but then you need to rent more office space and set it up with all the needed hardware. In the likely case you are not so lucky as to have them in the same building, let alone floor, you also have to deal with the communication issues of them not being just three halls down at screaming distance. 

To clarify, when I say faster updates I do not necessarily mean newer content, rather speeding up what is already being worked on. For example, instead of waiting a year and more for a main quest, we now wait half a year without a drop in quality.

3 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

That doesn't follow. If it's already being worked on, more people is at best a push, if not a hindrance. More people does not mean a showstopper doesn't crop up 5 min before the update goes live. More people can't simultaneously model a new weapon or frame. More artists doesn't mean the coding goes faster and more coders doesn't mean something gets textured faster.

More hires now might mean slightly faster content pipeline in 6 months to a year.