Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes invulnerable to elemental damage

wrenchedup

So I’ve been talkin this over for awhile now and want everyone’s input, I think that each warframe that shows off an element like “Frost” or “Ember” or “Volt” or “Nidus” should have a passive to resist Cold,Heat,Elect,Toxin as each one of these frames posses instead of using a mod to resist element damage, I mean these frames control elements right so they should be invulnerable to them? Whatcha think guys?

This has been brought up many times in the past and has always been a no because it is simply way too unbalanced.

Lets take a look at all the enemies and effects that deal cold damage:
LN2 Hyena
First half of the Lech Kril fight
Corpus Glaxion Capture target
Cryo barrels.
And that is literally it.
3 enemies, 2 that happen to be bosses (and one of those bosses isn't even a guaranteed spawn as it's easily possible to run Hyena Pack without getting an LN2 Hyena), 1 that happens to be a rare capture target, and 1 rare corpus only barrel.
Such a great resistance, it could be replaced by "Freezes cups of water around him!" and would have just as much an impact on gameplay as a cold resistance passive would.
(Artic Eximus don't deal cold damage, they only have the bubble and slow effect)

Lets look at Volt:
Sniper Crewman
Prod Crewman
Arc Trap
Electric Crawlers
Electric water in derelicts
Better than Frost, but still hardly useful and rarely seen.  Most players wouldn't even know that he has it.

How about Saryn/Nidus?
Toxic Ancient
Venemous Ancient eximus units
Toxic Crawler
Lobber Crawler
Mutalist Osprey
Lephantis
Nox
Quite a bit better than Frost or Volt but only against infested where depending on the resistance would be OP, but against the other factions she might as well not have it.

And lets look at Ember:
Napalms
Fusion Moa
Corrupted Moa
Flame Blade
Scorch
Hyekka Masters
Caustic Ancient
Arson Eximus
NG Hyena
Second half of Lech Kril
Sargas Ruk
She would get a major buff and a solid resistence against some of the hardest hitting enemies in the game and would be miles and miles better than any of the others because her element can appear in any faction and is genrally the harder hitters. 

As you can see, the elemental distribution of enemies is far too lopsided and unbalanced for this to be any good.
Two of the elemental frames get noticeable resistances, the others might as well not get anything at all with this idea.

Edited by Tsukinoki
Added forgotten enemy examples.

A few years ago I agreed with the idea of passive resistances but I have since changed my mind, partly due to the reasons Tsukinoki lists above. If only a few frames have passive resistance, that require no gameplay, modding or skill whatsoever, I believe it would not only be unbalanced. It would also skew players' frame choices towards those frames. Ember is arguably already one of the most overused frames in the game. With this addition she would be a) Overpowered, and b) Overused to an even greater degree.

9 hours ago, wrenchedup said:

So I’ve been talkin this over for awhile now and want everyone’s input, I think that each warframe that shows off an element like “Frost” or “Ember” or “Volt” or “Nidus” should have a passive to resist Cold,Heat,Elect,Toxin as each one of these frames posses instead of using a mod to resist element damage, I mean these frames control elements right so they should be invulnerable to them? Whatcha think guys?

latest?cb=20171007135225latest?cb=20171007150129latest?cb=20171007151109latest?cb=20171007151220latest?cb=20171007150459latest?cb=20171007155135Does it answer your question?

And by the way, WHERE Nidus manipulates an element? He gives puncture damage when casting Virulence, but it has nothing to do with him.

Edited by NaoPerturbe
Additional notes

immunity? no, but innate resistance of say 25%...yes. (and yes that would still make me use Saryn against infested....b/c why not.....she IS the anti infested frame based on Ballas's Saryn Prime trailer.......)

1 minute ago, NaoPerturbe said:

latest?cb=20171007135225latest?cb=20171007150129latest?cb=20171007151109latest?cb=20171007151220latest?cb=20171007150459Does it answer your question?

if only we had a dedicated slot for them....but we dont so they are and will remain to be slotless.

Edited by Kalvorax

3 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

immunity? no, but innate resistance of say 25%...yes. (and yes that would still make me use Saryn against infested....b/c why not.....she IS the anti infested frame based on Ballas's Saryn Prime trailer.......)

if only we had a dedicated slot for them....but we dont so they are and will remain to be slotless.

They're just like Augments, just Utility (As Steve said)!

Edited by NaoPerturbe

I'd go the pokemon route with it if anything. 50% damage resistance and status immunity. Frost is immune to ice procs and takes half damage. Et cetera... Oh, and Saryn is toxic frame, where is this Nidus junk coming from? 

38 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

Or they were Exilus mods... Why aren't they Exilus mods? I mean, there are still other mods to use over them, but legit, that would help a little... You know what else would help? If those mods were for damage types that were more common. When was the last time you died and thought, oh man this cold/electric damage is OP! Meanwhile there have been more times than I can count where I wished I had some sort of blast resistance... Seriously... Flak Jacket, make it happen.  I think every Loki main would run a mod that gave them 60% resistance to blast damage just so that a stray Bombard rocket's explosion didn't insta-frag them.  Make it a nightmare mod that gives +30% knockdown resist and it'd be amazing. 

Edited by Riasiru

I've yet to figure out why, let's say Frost can wield the Power of Cold, but is evidently too weak to resist it even a tiny bit. It makes zero sense at all. An elemental frame should have at least a minor 10% resistance to what they're the supposed master of (cold resistance in this case for Frost) I mean come on, his passive is the chance to freeze enemies hitting him with a melee attack. Obviously, he can dish it, so not taking it? Weaksauce.

22 minutes ago, Nyx219 said:

I've yet to figure out why, let's say Frost can wield the Power of Cold, but is evidently too weak to resist it even a tiny bit. It makes zero sense at all. An elemental frame should have at least a minor 10% resistance to what they're the supposed master of (cold resistance in this case for Frost) I mean come on, his passive is the chance to freeze enemies hitting him with a melee attack. Obviously, he can dish it, so not taking it? Weaksauce.

That doesn't make much sense either.  Frost's powers are to make things colder.  If someone attacks him with cold, and he makes it colder, that's the exact opposite of making it better.

59 minutes ago, Nyx219 said:

We can use guns but we aren't strong against them. That's an awful reasoning for elemental frames to have resistance/immunity.

Personally, I use my resistance arcanes on my frames default helm for a bit of role play. I can't say I've ever really noticed a difference. Embers passive energy gain from burning is cool though. I've used it a couple of times just for the heck of it.

I don't think DE will implement it though

Edited by Hypernaut1

13 hours ago, Phatose said:

That doesn't make much sense either.  Frost's powers are to make things colder.  If someone attacks him with cold, and he makes it colder, that's the exact opposite of making it better.

Plus, this would effectively be like saying "oh, well, a flamethrower shoots out fire, so it must be immune to it!"

Even if Warframes got small resistances to anything, nothing would change. 10 to 20% is negligible and won't matter as levels rise, and would be an awful Passive considering that Frost is the only purely Elemental Warframe with any sort of toughness. If it was any higher, the Mods we already have could be used to make us immune to certain procs, invalidating other Warframes and enforcing the use of certain ones, which can't be helped for say, something like an Eidolon Teralyst, but in general missions?, shouldn't matter. 

As @Tsukinoki already said, this would be horribly unbalanced. Some Warframes would get a massive boost, some would get next to nothing, and it wouldn't stop there. Should Nezha get Fire Resistance too? How about Nova getting Blast Resistance? Maybe Ash takes less damage from Slash?

Hek, to make it fair, ALL enemies should be immune or heavily resistant to elementals of their same type, instead of a few like Toxin Ancients and Nox's. Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

It's just pointless and an awful idea all around.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog