Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Verbal abuse and Vay Hek [Plague Star]

Edgarhighman

10 minutes ago, Amazerath said:

I understand. But I don't think there's much they can do about it. Asking them to try to avoid making characters pound you with negativity is one thing. But if you're expecting them to transform a character that is deliberately abusive into a character that's not abusive then I don't know.

If there was absolutely nothing you could do in order to avoid this problem then it would be different. But you have options. Yes, they're crappy options but I think you can understand that changing the character would also be crappy. So unless DE is willing to add an audio option that's something like "Turn negative character comments off" I don't know what else can be done.

I'm not asking them to "transform" or do anything to his "character". I enjoy Vay Hek. This specific audio line affects people who have suffered repeated traumatic verbal abuse for extended periods of time. This is not related to bullying. This is not related to Likes or Dislikes. This is not related to me asking/wanting a game changing modification. Refer back to OP. This psychological issue is relative in terms to biological epilepsy. It's not controllable and I'm making this post to bring it to the attention of DE. ITS ONE SENTENCE with a double negative connotation that affects people. Repeated, a lot. Again, please do not try to make my post into something it is not. This has nothing to do with his "character".

In my last Plague star run about 3 minutes ago, he said it about 40x. That's 80x you have to hear "You fail" over an hour. It's not relative or similar to "mission failed" or some "white noise"/baseless connotation. The verbiage and auditory response DOES what it does. The entirety of my OP explained.

Edited by Edgarhighman

1 minute ago, Edgarhighman said:

I'm not asking them to "transform" or do anything to his "character". I enjoy Vay Hek. This specific audio line affects people who have suffered repeated traumatic verbal abuse for extended periods of time. This is not related to bullying. This is not related to Likes or Dislikes. This is not related to me asking/wanting a game changing modification. Refer back to OP. This psychological issue is relative in terms to biological epilepsy. It's not controllable and I'm making this post to bring it to the attention of DE. ITS ONE SENTENCE with a double negative connotation that affects people. Repeated, a lot. Again, please do not try to make my post into something it is not. This has nothing to do with his "character".

I'm not trying to make your post into something it's not. Your OP was simply not clear enough for me. Most of your post is talking about harassment so I assumed the problem was harassment in general, not just one specific sentence.

You're talking about something complex and perhaps unusual. Not everyone is going to easily understand it right off the bat.

It's a video game, dude. Of course the bad guy is gonna trash talk. You can't expect the bad guy to be kind to you just cause you have been through hell and back. Many others haven't, and to them it is just trash talk or background noise.

You already have options to deal with it. Stop playing the mission? Turn down the volume? Put on some metal? Just take those words as a challenge to prove that stupid AI he's wrong? I dunno what else to say. I can't say what you've been through, but you do have options, so use them. As I said, he's the bad guy. Don't expect the bad guy to be kind to you.

But on this new Plague star mission (which I enjoy repetitively) he has this phrase where he repeats many times that "you fail".

It sounds like you're failing a lot. I'd suggest changing your strategy.

This is not a joke, nor a "consideration" but a real thing.

It HAS to be a consideration. You cannot expect anything to conform to you. ANYTHING. You have to convince, and so far, you are not convincing.

Most people affected by it wouldn't speak up for fear of being made known to have gone through some form of abuse.

No, no. It's just you.

You literally can mute transmissions. Mute it.

Edited by YpsitheFlintsider

I'm not here to question how or why this affects you, I'm sure you wouldn't be here if it didn't. But please understand why I decided to write this. 

You have repeatedly said that you will not turn off dialogue or audio to solve the issue yourself. You also said you will not listen to music, which confuses me, as this directly helps remove this trigger without much work for the devs or affecting the majority of the playerbase. 

So why when presented with a possible solution you dismissed it because it affects your gameplay, when let' be honest here, the dialogue line probably affects your gameplay a lot more. 

Why not try that solution? 

38 minutes ago, Edgarhighman said:

It looks like all the people "without understanding" woke up this morning and decided to make comments

What a typical response.

I have a horrible digestive issue that leaves me in crippling pain when I eat certain foods. This state can also be triggered by severe levels of stress and high levels of excitement. I don't ask restaurants to stop serving food that triggers this state. Instead I find a different establishment or I choose a menu option that doesn't trigger the issue.

You have an easy solution to avoid this issue but you refuse to use it. This isn't a lack of understanding on anyone else's part. This is you expecting the world to conform to your issue. Realize this-- the only thing you have control over is yourself. Do what you can for yourself. If you refuse to do it then you are the only one to blame for the consequences that arise because of it.

There's an increasing problem with hypersensitivity these days. Just look at the amount of triggering in american and canadian discourse, and I'm sorry to say this, but this thread looks like yet another demand for special treatment. That may be why people here might not seem too sympathetic to your plight.

The last thing you need is yet another comfort blanket, more emotional buffers, more bubblewrap to shield you from reality. You also need to realize, that there are others, who have gone through worse things than you, and they have risen from the ashes of their lives, burned and scarred as they may have been, and they have walked on, one step at a time. Why haven't you? (And you haven't, thus this thread)

And before you continue accusing people of not understanding, consider your inability to know every poster's life and hardships. There's a good chance someone here could make you look fairly pristine.

Get some professional help. Work through your problems. And listen to some Jocko Willink.

9 hours ago, Edgarhighman said:

It looks like all the people "without understanding" woke up this morning and decided to make comments :) I suggest the last Seven posts re-read the OP so they may better understand what was written. Each response here has already been addressed.

We get it, we just don't think it's a legitimate issue.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:58 PM, Edgarhighman said:

You're mistaking a supposed "my desire for a change to please me" with an actual psychological concern that is scientifically backed. This isn't about pleasing or desire, at all, in any way, shape, or form. Do not try and manipulate the accuracy and intent of my post.

There is lead in Flint Michigan's water. People are being poisoned. They do not have a say in the matter (speaking isn't cleaning their water supply). Trying to make up any sort of reasoning or excuses will not change the condition of their water. This line, it's repeated negative connotation and it's affect on those who have endured verbal abuse will be affected in such a manner and all your reasoning will not change that @Sean.

SO... you're not personally effected by Hek saying his lines?

This thread just sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Edgarhighman said:

I bet you just love Tyl Regor then.  :smile:

It's not that I'm not sympathetic towards abuse victims, but I just don't believe that anything in the game should be taken that seriously.  

On 14/04/2018 at 4:08 AM, Edgarhighman said:

To the point... For people (and there's many :'( ) who have endured verbal/mental abuse or harassment for any periods of weeks, months, or years, whether from parents, family members, spouses or an abusive relationship, hearing this negative comment over and over affects how a person thinks

Getting a little personal for my taste here, but this is important. What I went through at school has been such a scarring experience that I cannot physically talk about it without breaking down, I more than certainly meet this criteria.

I to this day don't react well to verbal abuse, but do you know what's different about a game? It's a game. I'm not going to say people need to toughen up, get over it etc etc, we're all only human.

No, what people need to do is actually differentiate a video game from the real world. If you're so into a video game that comments and actions in it affect you as a person, then you need to stop playing, you just do. It's not healthy at that point, for anyone, regardless of past trauma.

I have read every comment and it is clear that none of the people saying to 'get over it' have any understanding of mental health issues. I have mild autism and ADHD, with a severely depressed brother and a sister with extreme anxiety. To say 'get over it' in this context is like feeding someone with a nut allergy a peanut butter sandwich and telling them to get over the swelling on their face and in their airways. It won't do anything useful because it can't do anything useful. Now, something that nobody appears to have thought of yet: a solution that pleases both parties. If there was a transmission profanity filter that can be enabled in settings, then people who find Vay Hek (or any boss) offensive can ignore it without impacting on the rest of the Warframe community. Honestly, I thought the warframe community would have more compassion than this.

Well, you could theoretically turn off transmission sound, but I take it you'd rather a less intrusive solution.

Would an option to turn off all Vaykor Hek sounds be a plausible solution for you?

Anyhow, I've suggested a way to turn off various sounds here: 

Generally, I think the best solution would be to allow users to edit their local sound files, but that may not be an easy edit depending on how warframe stores sound data.

• 3 weeks later...

Its a part of vay heks character, and you can mute transmissions

other than that i dont think de should have to go through every audio file so flag it for an option to turn off due to it being "abusive"

never had to deal with verbal abuse that much but when i do i just laugh it off, it also helps that i have a dark sence of humor :clem:

Im trying my best not to mock right now.  

You have a mindset of a "target"...  And that provokes all the mockery towards you.   Stop thinking of yourself as a target.   And others will never think so too.  And even you will stop being so....sensitive.

That, and turn dem transmissions off.  

On 2018-04-15 at 1:09 AM, Chipputer said:

This is you expecting the world to conform to your issue.

On 2018-04-15 at 2:06 AM, Yrkul said:

There's an increasing problem with hypersensitivity these days.

2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Uou have a mindset of a "target"...  And that provokes all the mockery towards you.   Stop thinking of yourself as a target.

These dudes are right. OP is not. OP has a personal point and acts like thousands and thousands like him are affected, but all solutions have already been given. It's not a matter of "suck it up" and "deal with it", it's a matter of solving the problem yourself instead of annoying 99,9999% of the rest of the world that does not have this problem. Mommy solves problems until you're 12 years old.

The problems of Dignity Culture vs. Honor Culture...

Have you considered Warframe as a good violent outlet, for de-stressing?

Have you considered that maybe Warframe, being a game of explicit violence and animosity, is not a great de-stressor?

It sounds like you require real stress-relief, and a real safe space, and you are looking for it in the wrong place.

Your request is similar to asking people not to yell obscenities at a sports game... it's not a reasonable request per the prescribed environment.

Might I suggest this? Very affordable, and easy to setup.
Punching Bag

If you want something relaxing, single-fire air rifles are very relaxing to use, and don't carry the same stigma that conventional firearms do. Nice ones are pricier.
Air Rifle

Weight training is also very good for body, mind, and soul in my experience. This is better with a friend who is also really into working out. If you follow a strict and comprehensive workout and diet routine, including at least 2-3 consecutive rest days... you'll feel a lot of stress, anxiety, and anger just melt away. I guarantee it.
Small Weight Training Set

Even a walk in the park (with your dog?), on a nice day, can be very relaxing.

I do not recommend any activity that actively engages your mind or induces auto-hypnosis (e.g. watching a movie, playing a video game with story/dialog, reading a book), as that can cause exactly what you experienced with Vay Hek. You'll start questioning all sorts of things, and you'll start seeing problems where they previously did not exist.

Your mind needs to relax.
Good to sleep early as well.

Edited by Jathniel

On 2018-04-13 at 8:08 PM, Edgarhighman said:

I'd rather not have to modify my entire gaming experience because of one repeated negative phrase.

This is the only statement that matters. The whole mental anguish thing isn't relevant to what I want to talk about. This is the fundamental crux of your argument. You have to realize your request is unreasonable. Why should DE change their game simply because a few people have a problem and don't want to use its solution? You yourself admitted there is a solution. Your refusal to accept the solution and instead petition DE to please a tiny minority is selfish, whether you want to admit it or not. There are dozens of lines that could trigger someone's PTSD, and DE isn't going to change them all simply because some people have PTSD. Just as their decision to have this game be violent excluded little kids from playing Warframe, their decision to make the dialogue oftentimes aggressive and demeaning excludes those who cannot bear to hear it. 

You must realize you are being unreasonable here. It's not hard for DE to remove a bit of dialogue, but the line that they have established for pleasing others has been set in a place where they won't do that. Just as the line for violence has been set to a place where little kids are excluded, the line for the nature of dialogue has been set in a place where those who are sensitive to aggression are outside it. The line has to be set somewhere, and you are on the wrong side of it. It is up to you, not DE, to solve the problem. I had typed out a much more aggressive response before, but I rewrote it to be much more neutral. I want you to understand that I believe you have a legitimate issue, I really do, but at a certain point, it is up to you to help your problems, not DE.