Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A most Peculiar workshop.

[DE]Rebecca

Why does everything fun in WF have to have some kind of awful downside that diminishes the overall enjoyment? Pets? No vacuum. Increase Zenurik energy regen by 25%, from 4/s to 5/s? You have to go into operator every 30 seconds to maintain it. Archwing in PoE? Every single enemy can shoot you down with little warning. Silly fishing and mining minigames? Hours upon hours of grinding them required for progression. Endless kuva mission? Is harder and gives less kuva than kuva siphons. Cool cosmetic weapon effects? Costs a mod slot. Come on...

Cosmetic effects on guns that do silly stuff like this are a great idea! But making it occupy a mod slot that could instead hold something actually useful is just silly, and there's also this niggling thought in the back of my mind that the real point of this is to have some useless stuff to dilute the drop tables. Why can't you just once in your lives add something to the game that's just fun, with no added annoyance?

The idea of the mods sounds pretty fun.

While they do sound fun, I think their audio/visual effects should be togglable, as not everyone wants people waving an epeen in their face during a mission, even if they are able to. Some people might be less adverse to it if were made a cosmetic with its own slot and tamer effects. Everyone likes cosmetic endgame, and I'd pay high standing/plat/etc for cosmetics. Perhaps they could act like an extra flair for energy?

Dont like the idea of mods that dont provide a benefit to any build, I already forego mods I'd like to use alot for reload speed, punch through etc, and you want me to choose flair over that. Hard sell.

Also a toggle to disable it on my end would be nice. Novelty is just good for the first few times, then it gets tiring/abnoxious.

I'm going to echo what others have said and add my 2 cents as well.

Don't dilute any drop tables with these.  Make them something that can be purchased from Simaris.

Allow players to toggle peculiar effects on/off.

Ever since Octavia was introduced with her pink and blue Jolly Rancher theme, I've felt Warframe has been jumping the shark on its own premise.  What drew me to this game was the dark ninja, H.R. Giger esque aesthetics of Warframe.  What kept me here was its parkour, community outreach, and rich lore framework.

Additionally it makes DE's arguments of 'we'd love to redo and connect older systems but don't have the resources/time' a lot harder to swallow when I see things like this.  How long has Archwing been neglected?  Are the ultimate weakness of Warframes magnetic water OR DE just hasn't implemented swimming?  Animation artists working on exquisite and beautiful stances for a game that is about quick melee, slide attacks, and press 4 to win.  

Peculiar mods anger me on some level because of what I listed above BUT I don't mind if they are in the game for others to enjoy.  Just understand they go contrary to the theme and narrative Warframe has built for itself.  For those, such as myself, who appreciate that theme, allow us the option to ignore this nonsense.

And then maybe someday we can have a discussion why fish guts are needed to build Operator gear and if the Orokin really had a secret fish backstory to build Archwing Launchers during the Old War.  :/

I think that it could be a great idea, if you add an extra slot for weapons that can use them. Make the total cost of them 0, that way people can have their builds, and the fun mods too. Adding them as a secondary drop table to Enemies exclusive in sanctuary Onslaught would be a better idea than having them on the regular reward table. I for one would love having some extra effects to make my hydron grind more enjoyable :)

What if Peculiar Mods Only Worked in the Sanctuary?

1. Given that the Sanctuary and Sanctuary Onslaught are simulations, it would make sense if these effects were, say, changes that impact the simulation, rather than the real world. That would spare everyone the complaints about aesthetics.

2. Peculiar mods could also piggy-back on existing, commonly used mods. Peculiar Serration, for example, would be a standard Serration that, in the simulation, added flowers.

I really like this idea and I think it keeps the action fun and engaging especially since I'm growing bored with my OP weapons and just want to see something funny for once. If I'm running PUG fissures, I don't need to be at super max room-clearing power, especially at Lith or Meso level.

However, I think they should be limited to those that have gone through the Onslaught properly: please make the mods untradeable so that they are earned by those who care to go through the effort to get them. That will increase their appeal while keeping rarity down.

Also, flowers are great (I think they're lotus flowers haha), but I'd like to also see a mod with mushrooms popping out so we can go a more disgusting/decaying route too. My Nidus isn't going to shoot flower-blooming bullets; that's where I draw the line.

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

We're going to launch with only one Peculiar Mod in Sanctuary Onslaught

Still a bit confused on this peculiar mods.. Are they just for the 'fun' sake? or they are normal mods (eg serration) with the peculiar effect? If it is the latter, then people will most likely play with it. If it is a mod that is purely consist of the fun itself, then I don't think anyone would like to waste a mod slot for it. 

So a few things.  I do look forward to the mods.  The thought of walking away from a Corrupted Vor with flowers in him and saying "Lotus gives her regards" hilarious.  Or if we could have one where whatever bow or gun we have says Ordis' lines of "Gun, Gun, Guuuun!" or "Operator were you visualizing a bloody battle?  Me too!".

Now the real part of this, people are super serious about the game.  I think the option of turning off seeing/hearing others effects from the mod being worth while.  Some love the immersion aspect  of the game and this would be a turn off.  

I see this as being no different than playing Magic the Gathering and using the old Unglued/Unhinged cards.  If I remember one card at least made it into the game proper "The cheese stands alone" -"Barren Glory".  Maybe a mod could inspire someone to make a full fledged new mod from it, like Barren Glory in MTG.

Maybe have a mechanic to trade the mods in for something else, not just transmuting, something special.  People are super worried about getting these on drop, I totally get that.  I was thinking these mods might drop from an enemy killed in a run.  I mean people are putting some work into the battles and they want something to show for it.  But here is the thing, last time I checked I get copies of mods I don't need anyway.  What's one more.  I mean stalker - molten impact and nothing else.  Sometimes RNG isn't on my side. 

Now if the mod was a reward like defense mission rewards or interception after you finish X waves, there might be a problem.  If a player is doing tons of waves and let's say they got a Ammo Drum or Trick Mag mod near he end, I believe they would be hugely upset. 

TL;DR - I say keep them, don't add stats to them, but maybe have a rewarding system for turning them in to get rid of them.  And maybe have them as an enemy drop and not a wave reward.

Just now, kyori said:

Still a bit confused on this peculiar mods.. Are they just for the 'fun' sake? or they are normal mods (eg serration) with the peculiar effect? If it is the latter, then people will most likely play with it. If it is a mod that is purely consist of the fun itself, then I don't think anyone would like to waste a mod slot for it. 

They literally said that these mods are in case you got an open slot/don't need all of them and want to have some fun.

once again, the hard learned lesson of "Make Your Cosmetics Cosmetic" is making the rounds again at DE, which is a good way to pass the time while we wait for "yes, univac is a game feature that would make sense" and "we nerfed this frame too hard to protect (older warframe) and we goofed"

Archived