Devstream #114 Overview!

[DE]Taylor

Devstream114_Header.jpg

This week’s Devstream had a lot of gameplay footage of our new Melee 3.0 system, our Gas City remastered tileset and more, so we really recommend watching the full livestream to get the full effect. If you don’t have time (or headphones) to do so – worry not! We’ve compiled our TL;DW version for you below.

Spoiler

Housekeeping:

• Don’t miss the two Gift of the Lotus Alerts that are live for 24 hours after this stream!
  • You can expect the re-run of the Sacrifice Twitch Drops campaign for consoles next week! Full details can be found in this forum thread.
  • The Acolytes are returning next week (August 7) on all platforms!

Melee 3.0
We’ve spoken about our plans for a Melee rework in past Devstreams, but we’ve come prepared for the show portion of ‘show and tell’ this round! The melee system is incredibly complex, so we’ll break down different components for you.

To help set expectations, we showcased this new system despite it being only half-way polished. There’s still much to do, but we are confident that we have the core elements down-pat.

BASIC OVERVIEW AND GOALS

• Like with the Secondary and Primary weapons earlier this year, all Melee weapons will be given a balance pass. The delay is a result of our plans to rework the melee system, which needs to be done first!
  • Stance combos have been unified to require less memorization across all mods. Once you get a feel for the system, you should be able to apply it consistently across all weapons.
  • Channelling button has been replaced with a heavy attack button now, which is charged using the combo counter. Energy will no longer be consumed by channeling!
  • The changes will change up the melee Meta, but it also comes with a radical buff to range and damage.
  • Your expected ground and spin attacks are still executable – worry not!

STANCES AND COMBOS
Your attacks will vary depending on your movement state:

• Standing still
  • Movement input
  • Starting from block

Here is it in action using the Tempo Royale stance:

Spoiler

There are new additional modifiers to your melee attacks depending on additional inputs:

All blocking goes towards combo counter as well! 

OTHER CHANGES OF NOTE
All mods and game mechanics that deal with channelling will be repurposed. Except a Dev Workshop with more info as we get closer to release.
We are looking into changes in certain mobility actions when melee is equipped (not just quick melee). Ex: Bullet jumping will now cause damage; rolling will be tighter to help keep you in close-combat (instead of rolling you away from your enemy). 
A ton of cleanup is done to the stances themselves – swings that look like they don’t hit, etc. 

DUAL WIELD
This functionality already exists at some level in the current build of Warframe, but in the future you’ll be able to dual-wield any single-handed secondary weapon and melee weapon for some added flair:

“NEW CHANNELLING” (still very WIP)
We’re toying with the idea of building up your channelling energy for an ultimate melee mode. All we have is animations, we’re looking to play with this system more before we can offer more details:

Equip animations:

Spoiler

Un-equip animations:

Spoiler

Gas City Remaster
We’re looking to remaster the Gas City tileset to help bring it to the same standard of newer tilesets. Part of this is a visual update, with some lore sprinkled in match the current progression of Warframe’s story. 

Since this tile predates Parkour 2.0, it didn’t make use of the cool movement systems that make Warframe so fun. So, we’ve changed quite a few aspects of this tile to encourage more mobility play. Here’s some clips showing various tiles of this remaster (still very much a work in progress):

Spoiler

In this, we’ve also repurposed the “Use [button] to use zipline” function for similar environment elements to make them easier to land on. 

Revenant 
We’ve shown the Revenant Warframe in quite a few Devstreams now, but here’s an update on his abilities following more playtesting and community feedback:

Third Ability: Moves much more quickly, and can be cancelled – feels much more like an escape move! Health and shields are stolen from enemies you pass through, with a bonus from your enthralled foes.

Fourth Ability: Killing enthralled enemies with this abilities will cause them to drop pickups that give overshields. Can be combined with his third ability for the ultimate spin to win.

Dojos
The talent and creativity that our community has shown with their Dojos deserves so much praise – as a result, we’re looking into a Featured Dojos mode to help shine a spotlight on the truly stellar work done by our Tenno. One Clan of each tier will be featured in the Star Chart for others to marvel at. The contest critiera and rotation (weekly/monthly/etc.) of these Dojos is still being decided, but it’s something our Ikea-frame community can look forward to in the future! 

Additionally, we are looking to add a new Decoration set to the Dojos, with a nature theme! Items include:

• Icicles
  • Grass
  • Rocks (from a variety of tilesets)
  • Trees and foliage
  • And more!
Spoiler

Vauban Changes
There has been a lot of feedback and suggestions given to us about Vauban’s kit, and we are looking to make some tweaks. Here are our current plans: 

• Now you can charge your Tesla to increase your damage and proc chance. 
  • We’re looking at the rest of his kit but have nothing else to share at this time.
  • If you have a lead on the Repelling Bastille bugs, please send them to us! We’re having issues reproducing it.

Nyx Changes
We are looking at making some requests to Nyx following community feedback: 

• Potentially will be getting rid of Psychic Bolts and replacing it with Chaos.
  • Looking at making a new debuff ability for her 3.
  • Keeping her 4 as-is but with new math!
  • If you have suggestions, post them on the forums! 

Orb Vallis – Kubrodons!
Here’s a look at more wildlife to expect with the coming Venus Landscape. These little (and big) guys will be part of the conservation system introduced with the Solaris United. No word on scale, currently.

The cub!

Spoiler

KubrodonCub.jpg

All grown up!

Spoiler

KubrodonDaddy.jpg

Restoratives Refresh
Your Energy/Ammo/Health/Shield restores will be getting a refresh to visually indicate what they restore! Now you will no longer have to guess what flavour of pizza your fellow Tenno dropped.

Spoiler

DO-WF - VFX - Restorative Rework.jpg

Other Tidbits

• Looking to replace wall-hopping with wall-running, still working on the animations. It was originally changed to wall-hopping to help remedy issues with wall-running over small bumps. We’re hoping to iron that out and bring back the coolness of 
  • Titania’s Razorwing will no longer take collision damage.
  • We’re reworking our anti-aliasing system for a crisper Warframe experience!  

=============================

THE REMOTE OBSERVER – VOL 35.5

We’re back again with a look at what came to Warframe this week!

Since our console team is working on submitting the next build to Cert next week, we will not include a Console section for this volume. Keep an eye out on our official channels for next week news of when to expect the next Warframe update on PS4 and XB1!

PC – WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED

Spoiler

In Mission:

• Fixed shared Affinity not properly spreading between all equipment, specifically when an Exalted weapon is active.
  • Fixed Fishing breaking when switching Spears if you have no Bait or Dye.
  • Fixed Nyx Mind Controlled Shield Ospreys spawned from Corpus Tech and Attack Drones spawned from Fusion Moas not being friendly.

UI and UX:

• Primed Quickdraw is now Tradeable.
  • Updated the ‘High Contrast UI Theme’ based on feedback in an effort to better aid colourblind Tenno.
  • Pressing ‘Enter’ when typing in the Chat window with a game invite open will now prioritize the Chat window over the game invite. This also applies when viewing the Market while typing in Chat.
  • Weapons displayed on Hok’s Entitlement screen now show more information (Mastery Rank, Forma count, etc) to better reflect which weapon in your Inventory you’re Entitling. 
  • Personal Platinum and Credit values now appear in the Arsenal UI when in Cetus or a Relay. 
  • Fixed Old Man Suumbaat Decorations appearing too close in the Market diorama.
  • Fixed the Jordas Golem Assassinate Star Chart node continuing to glow blue even after  a successful completion.
  • Fixed ‘Solar Map Progress’ stat displaying that there are 229 Nodes needing completion when there are in fact only 228. This stat was including the “invisible” Sanctuary Onslaught node, which resulted in the unbearable 228/229.

Hope you all have excellent weekends, Tenno! :community:

Not only 2 of my favorite frames are getting slight reworks, the melee rework looks even more alluring than before. Also the update info on Dojo floras are a QoL update we're also looking forward to. Must say it was a very impact-ful devstream! Thanks DE ❤️

Up until today I was VERY nervous about melee 3.0 (I'm one of those weirdos who uses channeling with Enduring Affliction and Dispatch Overdrive)

I've got to admit...I'm already sold.  The path the dev team is on looks glorious, and I'll give up a favorite trick or two in exchange for all that mobility.  That means I'm not locked into a Final Harbinger and Clashing Forest and a tiny number other stances.

Y'all are good Tenno.  You're making all the old toys shiny and new. 🙂

2 minutes ago, -Virtuoso- said:

Not only 2 of my favorite frames are getting slight reworks, the melee rework looks even more alluring than before. Also the update info on Dojo floras are a QoL update we're also looking forward to. Must say it was a very impact-ful devstream! Thanks DE ❤️

Vauban needs more than just another bandaid 'rework'. He needs an entire overhaul, examples can be seen in a few threads I've read about him in the feedback - warframes and abilities section of the forums

Excited to see more of the Jupiter Corpus redesign 🙂 

Melee 3.0 - those "range closer" attacks for example are going to be a game changer, especially for shorter weapons like the daggers. 🙂 Looks fun, can't wait to tear up the Simulacrum experimenting with it 😄 

Also, new channeling = BANKAI (sorry, I had to do it ^^)

Just now, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Vauban needs more than just another bandaid 'rework'. He needs an entire overhaul, examples can be seen in a few threads I've read about him in the feedback - warframes and abilities section of the forums

Totally agree. Im just glad about the fact that he's finally on the table for reworks.

7 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Other Tidbits

• Looking to replace wall-hopping with wall-running, still working on the animations. It was originally changed to wall-hopping to help remedy issues with wall-running over small bumps. We’re hoping to iron that out and bring back the coolness of 

Would it be possible to simply double the wallhop rate, but lower the vertical "boost" of horizontal wallhops to compensate (so players don't climb upwards too quickly when they're trying to run along a wall)? Basically just our current wallhop mechanics with the same overall movement speed, but with twice as many hops per second so it feels more like running.

Just as an easier-to-program version of wallruns.

7 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

STANCES AND COMBOS
    Your attacks will vary depending on your movement state:

• Standing still
    • Movement input
    • Starting from block

I'm a bit worried by this. A couple things bother me:

- Restricting 1/3 of the melee combos to a standstill activation feels wrong, considering that players should always be moving as much as possible. Players will be forced to stand still for a split second whenever they want to activate this combo.
    Not to mention-- the only "fine adjustment" options they'll have before attacking is camera rotation. And if the player has the "Align melee attacks to camera" option disabled, even that becomes impossible.
    Would it be possible to change this activation to "hold Attack" or "begin with slide attack" or something (or a less restrictive option that I can't think of at the moment), just for the sake of having full control over our movement and aim?

- It seems like every stance will be restricted to 3 linear combos, rather than the "branching" combos of Melee 2.0. I'm not really fond of this... it feels like we have to dedicate ourselves to an entire combo right from the first swing, rather than being able to branch the combos as we attack.
    Is there any chance that we'll be able to blend with another combo partway through (e.g. starting with a "Movement input" combo and then finishing up with a "Starting from block" combo by holding Block before attacking), so that the "branching" behaviour doesn't completely disappear? I know that we'll be able to throw charged attacks in between, but that simply ends the combo rather than "branching" into something else.

9 minutes ago, [DE]Taylor said:

All Steve mentioned that it's coming Soon(TM). It was slated for release this week, but was pushed for extra polish.

Will this be a hidden mini game like Wyrmius and Happy Zephyr or will we get a console for our personal quarters to play these mini games?

Regarding Nyx, I also hope you guys take a look at changing her passive. Her passive, with her current abilities, make it frustrating to play her, especially in regards with Mind Control. There have been so many times where I use an ability as Nyx which then disarms an enemy I don't want disarmed! It also essentially makes her Chaos ability a weaker version of Loki's Irridiating Disarm because he can radiate and disarm ALL enemies, while Nyx is at the sideline only able to disarm a few enemies. It's almost the same ability, just one is seen as much better at the moment. 

There have been many suggestions and complaints about her current passive. I remember reading post after post complaining about the passive and how many were saying it was going to be looked at. No changes have been made to it, not even quality of life changes to where Nyx could Mind Control a disarmed enemy and they get their weapon back while under the effects of MC. That would at least make it much less frustrating to play as Nyx; however, it still would make Chaos a much weaker ability compared to Loki's augmented ability.

I'm glad you guys are finally taking a look at Nyx, but I think she needs a lot more work than just some math.

Her ult is great, but like you guys said it just needs some math to make it on par with other abilities. I think it definitely should no longer do magnetic damage and that it should put out much more of the damage it absorbs (I believe I heard it only puts out 25% of the damage it absorbs now). I realize the Absorb change was made because you guys didn't want her to just clear out rooms of enemies when she was added, but now there are Warframes who easily clear out maps of enemies with no issue, so I don't think keeping her at that lower power level is fair.

Her Mind Control could use some tweaking, it's still a good ability. On DevStream, you guys said something about MCed enemies doing more damage along with Power Strength. That's definitely a nice change, maybe make it to where it could go up to 500% at max Power Strength (like the current augment mod for MC) and then give her a new Mind Control augment to where she can control multiple enemies (maybe like 7?) at the same time, but at a reduced duration for each one she controls. For example, she still has the same duration at only 1 enemy controlled, but at 2 the duration becomes reduced to maybe half or 75%. 

I'm so happy you guys are getting rid of Psychic Bolts though. I'm very curious as to what debuff you guys will be looking at for her new 3rd ability (if you guys do move Chaos to the 2nd ability slot). Maybe something more along the lines of "Psychic" instead of "Mind Control" (like MC and Chaos)? Maybe she reads/taps into the minds of enemies and causes a debuff, like a bigger stun, slows the reaction of enemies (slow effect), etc? Maybe she creates like a telekinesis field around every enemy that causes some debuff to them. These are just ideas if the ability will only be a debuff; however, with the removal of Psychic Bolts, maybe another damage dealing ability would be nice, one that's not as random and flaky as Bolts was though. Maybe creating like psychic weapons (shruikens, daggers, etc.) that are near you until you press the ability again. For this one, I was thinking something like she presses her 3 button, which summons the weapons at her side. Maybe while it's summoned, she does increased damage with her weapon and it can proc radiation damage/cause Chaos on said enemy OR the weapons act like a shield around her, so anytime an enemy gets to close, the weapon flys out and strikes them. Along with this, if she presses 3 again, all the psychic weapons fly out to nearby enemies (with a guaranteed hit unless if there are no enemies in range) causing damage and procs a mini Chaos on them (I say this instead of radiation so it makes Nyx feel more like her own character).

Chaos is a great ability, I don't think anyone can deny that; however, it has seen less and less use because many feel that Chaos isn't on par with other similar CC abilities. It's still fun, the small, but helpful stun at the beginning is good, and Chaos is much needed Chaos; however, there's no synergy with her abilities. I think a small, nice change that could be added to make Chaos a bit better would be to add some synergy to her abilities. For example, if an enemy is under the effects of Chaos and you Mind Control them, maybe it makes the duration or damage of that Mind Controlled enemy twice as long/much. Maybe if you knock back enemies with Absorb who are under Chaos' effect or the new debuff, maybe that causes something else, like maybe they take extra damage or they lose some of their armor. There's many synergy options available that could be on par with her abilities. 

These are only some of my ideas/suggestions just because I love Nyx so much. She's still my most played Warframe and still my favorite, but I don't play her almost at all anymore. Either I take a damage Warframe or I take a better CC Warframe. The biggest reason for me not playing Nyx as much anymore is definitely the passive, it's just frustrating. Even if you guys don't change it, at least make it where Mind Controlled enemies regain their weapons while under the effects of it. I think that would lose a lot of the frustration of playing Nyx, but that alone would still make her continually be compared to Loki. I think the best option is to change her passive, something that works more in her field rather than working against it. Although some disarmed enemies are helpful in some situations, it's overall not helpful towards Nyx. She wants Chaos and Control, she can't have that when enemies are just whacking each other with sticks.

I hope this post helps in some way, even to those who just don't like Nyx. Maybe at least it will help some players see through the mind of a Nyx fan. 🙂

I can't wait to play the Queen of Control once more!

What's the damage going to actually be like on Revenant's 4, though? A fixed number, or will it scale with something? Is it just going to be a star chart exterminate bumpkin, or something we can actually take seriously? How relevant will he actually get to be? Will anything make him stand out for say... Eidolons? You know - the things he's themed after. Please don't let him be a colossal disappointment. 

Just give Nyx a single-target execute ability. It's not that far-fetched, we have frames that have mass blinds and sleeps and Covert Lethality. Turning enemies against each other just turns it into a tickle fight, with how their durability scales vs their damage. 

Vauban generally needs more bang for his buck for his entire kit across the board. Straight buff the base duration, range, and efficiency of his abilities by like 25-30%. Tesla needs to straight not exist, unless you alter it dramatically - such as have it turn enemy into a 'tesla coil' - like a single-target version of Volt's 4. 

The melee's looking pretty good so far. Questions regarding it: Will weapon speeds be looked at as well, when the stat changes and sweeping buffs are applied? Will gunblades get to see any shred of relevance restored? 

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

“NEW CHANNELLING” (still very WIP)
    We’re toying with the idea of building up your channelling energy for an ultimate melee mode. All we have is animations, we’re looking to play with this system more before we can offer more details:

Equip animations:

Reveal hidden contents

Un-equip animations:

Reveal hidden contents

Was there any word on how this would affect Exalted weapons such as Exalted Blade, Primal Fury, and Hysteria? Will they receive such bonuses that this new channeling mode would provide as they do with the current system?

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

If you have a lead on the Repelling Bastille bugs, please send them to us! We’re having issues reproducing it.

they mostly happen when enemies come from under the bastille, like climbing stairs or from the bottom of a hill, and they enter inside the bastille

I just wanna say that I'm excited to see everything. Vauban and Nyx coming back into the meta, the weapon meta getting thrown off its feet, combos becoming easier to do, movement becoming tighter, Gas City having much more verticality, changing the appearance of pizzas, the new warframe nearing release...

I'm so excited.

I do want to say that I know you guys are going to look at Maiming Strike, and I can tell you the easiest way to change it from a broken mod to a good mod: Make it apply AFTER Blood Rush. That's it. Do the math yourself, the critical chance goes way down. I still want to use this mod on status-based weapons, so that I can use Berserker instead of Fury, and I'd hate to see it not be usable for that. That's my literal only concern, and it's not even a big one since I have a maxed Primed Fury that does just fine.

That, and I hope you make combo counters drain instead of delete by default. We shouldn't need Naramon for that.

Melee 3.0 

I'm loving how the system works, how everything flows together so smoothly! With my fears about the rhythms of the new melee system relieved, now my only trepidation is about the specifics. What will the weapon revamp look like? What mods are changing, and how? Looking forward to the dev workshop!

Nyx

Glad to hear that her bolts are getting replaced, they were about the least useful ability in any kit. Krion112 made a suggestion about aggro control in the stream thread, and I think that'd be very interesting and work well with her kit. If like to see something like, 

Captivate: Self-targeted, 12 second duration. Enemies within a 15m radius are drawn to attack you above all else. During this duration, you have 50% damage reduction when not in Absorb / Assimilate. Captivated enemies are prioritized by your Mind Control minion, who does double damage to them and returns 10% of damage dealt as health / shield / overshield.

Manipulate the numbers to better accommodate reality, and mod to taste 😄

22 minutes ago, DawnoftheWhiteFury said:

Was there any word on how this would affect Exalted weapons such as Exalted Blade, Primal Fury, and Hysteria? Will they receive such bonuses that this new channeling mode would provide as they do with the current system?

Given that right now the only things they have on the system are two animations and "It's a super mode for melee that you build up for" I believe the answer to any question about how it would work would be "We don't know".

Great stuff! I'm hoping the damage buff to melee is at least 3.5x, just so there aren't claims that melee is nerfed and was better when we needed combo. Interested to see what happens with Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds.

I absolutely despise charging abilities as they are currently implemented. It takes multiple seconds just to cast, which is already no bueno on a keyboard. It would be okay if you were merely selecting which version to use by either tapping of holding for 1/4 of a second, but the long charging is just bad. I don't mean any disrespect in saying this, and I know you guys don't have unlimited time to hammer everything out that you'd like, but the "buffs" to Ember seemed superficial and low effort, so I can't see how the proposed change to Tesla would improve player opinion of Vauban in any way. I have seen suggestions for giving Vauban a turret, but if that would be too passive you could strap a couple in Vauban's shoulders and have them passively shoot as a channeled ability.

2 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

Up until today I was VERY nervous about melee 3.0 (I'm one of those weirdos who uses channeling with Enduring Affliction and Dispatch Overdrive)

I've got to admit...I'm already sold.  The path the dev team is on looks glorious, and I'll give up a favorite trick or two in exchange for all that mobility.  That means I'm not locked into a Final Harbinger and Clashing Forest and a tiny number other stances.

Y'all are good Tenno.  You're making all the old toys shiny and new. 🙂

IKR!!!

Re: health refresh new visual - the red cross is copyrighted right?

Regarding Melee 3.0:

Looks like a lot of progress so far! I like the gap closer from blocking, and directional heavy slams.

Can we have a heavy attack speed bonus the higher the combo counter is? For example, a 2x swing speed on heavy attacks by the time you hit x2 or x3?

How many combos are available while holding a primary or secondary? I hope DE can address a good provide a good amount of variety even when not in melee mode... (Or allow for a very smooth transition to melee mode and back while fighting.)

Archived