Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How can I protect myself from fake plat?

AcidYT

15 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Don't trade high amounts to low MR players with dodgy names.

Beyond that, you can't. 

This is very hard to judge. Plenty of legitimate players are low Mastery. I have noticed more and more Riven Traders are less than MR 15. Mastery Rank 2-5 often buy many Prime sets. The only way to really protect yourself is through support, but with response time, it might be too late.

2 minutes ago, Voltage said:

This is very hard to judge. Plenty of legitimate players are low Mastery. I have noticed more and more Riven Traders are less than MR 15. Mastery Rank 2-5 often buy many Prime sets. The only way to really protect yourself is through support, but with response time, it might be too late.

By high amounts I'm referring to 1,000+, and by low MR I mean <10.

E.g. A MR5 player with a name that could have been created by applying your forehead to the keyboard, offering 2k plat for a Riven is probably not legit.

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

By high amounts I'm referring to 1,000+, and by low MR I mean <10.

E.g. A MR5 player with a name that could have been created by applying your forehead to the keyboard, offering 2k plat for a Riven is probably not legit.

Why not? I have sold low MR players who just buy Prime Access multiple prime sets or Riven Mods going upwards of 2-3 thousand platinum. None of that plat was illegal (I keep an eye on it). Like I said, it is very hard to judge because illegal platinum and legit platinum look the exact same until it is too late.

Edited by Voltage

10 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Well, DE doesn't care about legit sellers, so we should care about legit buyers?

Anfortunatly, if low mr will not buy ur stuff, nobody will. So, you can't avoid this risk.

Edited by -JT-_-R3W1ND

No protections, but try to only trade for amounts smaller than what you know you have otherwise. If DE needs to take that just traded plat out of the system, you don't want to go negative. Keep a small stockpile and don't make big purchases that will drop you below such plat levels that removing what you trade for would put you under. Good luck in your trades!

2 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Why not? I have sold low MR players who just buy Prime Access multiple prime sets or Riven Mods going upwards of 2-3 thousand platinum. None of that plat was illegal (I keep an eye on it). Like I said, it is very hard to judge because illegal platinum and legit platinum look the exact same until it is too late.

When the issue at hand is solely about protecting yourself from fake plat, not selling to potential scam accounts isn't bad advice.

You may not have run into a problem over the course of your trading, but there's still the potential.

Is it foolproof? No. Would you be dismissing trades from perfectly legit accounts? Absolutely. But if you want to protect yourself then that's a risk you should probably take.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Not sure how that is even possible on Xbox. Guess I am safe. Thank you.

It's not as big an issue, I believe due to the fact that platinum is purchased through the xbox wallet.

I honestly don't recall seeing a thread from a console user.

Edited by DeMonkey

1 minute ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Not sure how that is even possible on Xbox. Guess I am safe. Thank you.

Pay for plat with credit card then cancel the operation using the chargeback procedure. Your credit card get money back, but plat you bought gets removed - anybody that got that plat from you through trading can go negative and that trigger autoban.

7 minutes ago, RobWasHere said:

Pay for plat with credit card then cancel the operation using the chargeback procedure. Your credit card get money back, but plat you bought gets removed - anybody that got that plat from you through trading can go negative and that trigger autoban.

Which is only true for PC, since on console you buy your plat through the console market. And while DE may not have the resource to look into a chargeback, Sony and Microsoft does and will. Which means that if your try to issue a chargeback, MS will just contact your bank and say "hey, no can do, you client received his purchase and here is the proof." Which will cancel your chargeback.

6 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Which is only true for PC, since on console you buy your plat through the console market. And while DE may not have the resource to look into a chargeback, Sony and Microsoft does and will. Which means that if your try to issue a chargeback, MS will just contact your bank and say "hey, no can do, you client received his purchase and here is the proof." Which will cancel your chargeback.

And that right there is a reason why I dont understand people who are against a possible Steam-only solution to platinum purchases. Valve can pretty much do the exact same as Sony and M$. The three "platforms" work so very much alike in that regard.

1 minute ago, SneakyErvin said:

And that right there is a reason why I dont understand people who are against a possible Steam-only solution to platinum purchases. Valve can pretty much do the exact same as Sony and M$. The three "platforms" work so very much alike in that regard.

It's probably just DE being a little greedy. Since Steam will take a percentages of everything sold through it. With Xbox and PS you don't have a choice, because all game transactions has to go through their market. With Steam you do. So DE makes more money per purchase by cutting out the middle man.

Not much you can do other than keeping said plat for some time before using it, as some players still use charback methods that can affect you, most however have legitimate platinum that is then found out it has been trade for IRL money in some way, those cases take months and it's impossible to say if you have said platinum or not, it all depends on the actions done by black market dealers, until then the plat will stay.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

It's probably just DE being a little greedy. Since Steam will take a percentages of everything sold through it. With Xbox and PS you don't have a choice, because all game transactions has to go through their market. With Steam you do. So DE makes more money per purchase by cutting out the middle man.

Yep, I would imagine it being something like that.