Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime frames are pretty worthless

S.Dust

3 hours ago, S.Dust said:

I mean they're glorofide skins at this point if im not wrong and it confuses me.

Let me put it this way: as soon as you start thinking like this, you're probably getting burnt out on the game and not enjoying the grind

Yeah, Prime frames are not particularly amazing. By and large they're an excuse for you to grind. The grind has one of two purposes: 1) keep you playing the game so you can keep having fun, or 2) make you frustrated at the grind so you buy platinum (dE tries to downplay this with Prime Access but it's still true)

So if you're not looking forward to your next Prime, it means you're enjoying the grind. Not an insult to you, it means it's time for you to evaluate how much you are actually enjoying this game

4 hours ago, S.Dust said:

with how the game scales the armor buffs aren't stopping you from getting one shot and health is the same. Energy is a convenience but zenurik counters low energy as well as all the energy orb drops and energy pads. Also if you weren't already a tanky frame the extra armor really wont do anything for you.

I'd like to argue that armor makes a huge difference at lower values. Examples: Vaubae has 50 base armor. 100% increase is 100 armor. V.Prime has 100 base. 100% puts you to 200. That's roughly 20% more mitigation from affected dmg sources. Same mods, reg vs prime. The way stats scale makes base stats incredibly valuable. Now, more armor than 300, you really lose value, but Prime trapman is noticeably tankier.

Edited by StarGrit
Syntax and clarity of message

Been playing since update 7, have over 36k completed missions.

I never made a prime warframe, i farm them at a slow pace, but only to sell, i never actually made or used a prime warframe, i simply dislike having to leveling them up all over again, making the builds all over again and using catalysts, exilus adapters and forma to maximize them, i simply dislike the concept.

I may get prime weapons if there is a justification for it, but overall i do not build all the things in warframe and i never used a single prime warframe.

While they are better stat wise, my gameplay has taken me WAY further than any pointless stats and bling bling. The sheer tought of having to lvl something again for the sake of it, i simply use that time to improve myself and farm in an effective way.

My clanmates do sometimes ask me why i stopped at MR16, why i don't have primes and why don't i grab certain content, it's simply because i make a choice, i am quick to decide if something is worth my time or not, primes sadly aren't, this sometimes confuses players and clanmates, as i have great results and a ton of experience.

4 hours ago, GinKenshin said:

Why is this an issue exactly? It’s not like they’re super hard to get or anything, and the ‘reskin’ is pretty damn awesome most of the time....Oberon is an exception doe >.> 

I love Mag Prime but she's an example of earlier Primed frames that didn't get that radical upgraded visual. I like Oberon. Excal, Mag, and Frost are really showing their age in terms of Primed Visuals. 

Just now, PR1D3 said:

I love Mag Prime but she's an example of earlier Primed frames that didn't get that radical upgraded visual. I like Oberon. Excal, Mag, and Frost are really showing their age in terms of Primed Visuals. 

Agree, especially with frost. His 'coat' kills the skin and hinders any creativity which is a shame. Sadly it's far fetched that DE would reskin them since people bought these, and it's tricky to change something that people paid for, you'd need a very good reason to do so and 'they don't look as shiny as the newbies' isn't a good explanation for changing your investment 

27 minutes ago, PR1D3 said:

It would be cool if they at least got Umbras (which we know was really just a redesigned Excalibur prime made for everyone)

Edited by Hypernaut1

3 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

Agree, especially with frost. His 'coat' kills the skin and hinders any creativity which is a shame. Sadly it's far fetched that DE would reskin them since people bought these, and it's tricky to change something that people paid for, you'd need a very good reason to do so and 'they don't look as shiny as the newbies' isn't a good explanation for changing your investment 

Funny thing. I think IgnusDei had proposed and even drew up some changes to update Frost Prime. I know it's somewhere in the fan concepts area, but its been a long time since that thread went up and would probably take a full day of autistic internet detective mode to find it again.

25 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

It would be cool if they at least got Umbras (which we know was really just a redesigned Excalibur prime made for everyone)

Mag Umbra would make me very, very, very happy.

Free Prime with prime and the ease of obtaining their parts via relics has devalued Primes.

What happens when Ivara Prime or Mesa Prime comes ? 

literally NO ONE is going to do those grinds unless you want MR 

How about making the original frames part of the PRIME Blueprint components ? 

2 hours ago, S.Dust said:

I feel like something they should add to all prime frames should be extra efficiency for ability casting there isnt a single frame where that would be a downside and it wouldnt make the originals useless just not as spam heavy.

don’t add it to nidus prime...i like my neg efficiency build...

Anyways, prime frames are really just their base frame with far greater potential, and get to their potential much faster. All of your counterpoints to people suggesting why primes are better are, as you said yourself, “weak arguments.” They have more polarities at base, “you already put them on the base frame.” I’d gladly do LESS farming for relics and parts to get 4 forma base chroma prime over farming all of chroma for with 2 polarities, 75 less armor, etc. and avoid adding 2 extra forma to meet chroma prime’s polarities alone. The low energy=zenurik is also pretty weak, focus farming is still one of the longest farms out there, and can’t even be done until after war within, which is a considerable amount of players that haven’t made it there, and even if they did, who says they chose zenurik over the other 4 unless they googled it? Once you have the zenurik tree, you need another 75k(?) focus to unlock 3 nrg per sec dash. My nova prime with 648 energy doesn’t need zenurik. my nova with 300 did though.

TL;DR: Basically, think of primes as Super Saiyan goku or something. They look different, they have better potential, and if he trained more at base, he might be close to their power but he’s never going to beat them.

7 minutes ago, SilverRook said:

Free Prime with prime and the ease of obtaining their parts via relics has devalued Primes.

LMAO do you really think people won’t farm them???? Are you joking??? Mesa and Ivara lovers I know first hand are d**kriders, or in this case, p***y riders. They’ve already pre-ordered the access pack.

Prime frames are hardly a grind anyway lmao i got chroma prime set first day

Edited by (PS4)shead2002

6 minutes ago, SilverRook said:

I never understood why this wasnt a requirement. Even as a new player, it took me a while to register that I could just go straight to the prime, or that my regular wasn't needed in any way... Not even for mastery to earn ability to use prime. 

It's optional to build and use prime frames, which is why people who don't have them can live without them, they don't offer much and they aren't a p2w/grind2w aspect of the game nor do they need to be, which is why vaultings and prime accesses are perfectly acceptable in their current form.

They would be controversial otherwise.

i have made well over 3k plat (considered not much by guys that sit and trade all day) as a free to play player

i have acquired nearly every item in the game without spending a single real dollar

i made most of it through trading prime junk i dont need

so this post confuses me

All primes are upgraded a slight bit in stats. they are able to get energy form void deathorbs, and come with added and/or changed polariys. other then that its just visual.

Some primes where instances for the team to rework the frame a bit, mostly qulity of life things like base armer or energy.

Prime weapons are similer, but not all are direct upgrades. Prime frames are alwase an upgrade.

43 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I never understood why this wasnt a requirement. Even as a new player, it took me a while to register that I could just go straight to the prime, or that my regular wasn't needed in any way... Not even for mastery to earn ability to use prime. 

Lore wise, the Primes came first and the vanilla are poor copies.  

Why would you use an imitation to make a more powerful version?

7 hours ago, S.Dust said:

The only argument that people seem to be able to make as to why they are so weak is you don't want to make the originals useless which is a very meh argument like its not weak but its also is like a easy argument.

Simple arguments tend to be the best ones tbh.

Prime units are not significant upgrades over the base units (aside from cosmetics) with exception to definitely Nova and maybe Volt (they really shouldn't be better either). 

3 hours ago, S.Dust said:

I feel like something they should add to all prime frames should be extra efficiency for ability casting there isnt a single frame where that would be a downside and it wouldnt make the originals useless just not as spam heavy.

No...Even if the idea does actually make thematic sense.

Prime units shouldn't be significant upgrades over the originals... Extra efficiency is always a significant upgrade.

Prime's are an option and options are good in themselves.

A well attended base unit shouldn't be worse than a Prime in any way aside from the shiny department.