Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] So lets talk about the solaris people...

Zylofan

Is there a reason they have heads in their chests? I assumed their heads were piloting their bodies remotely. If their head is in their chests, why do they still have some human limbs? Are those their limbs? Are they other peoples limbs? has DE given us an explanation yet????

Anyone know?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

There bodies are RIGs that they "rent/lease" so they can do the required work to pay off their debts.

Of course the RIG adds to that debt & etc.

This would make sense if it wasn't for Thursby/Legs. Thursby starts the quest with his normal body, minus his head being replaced. Then Nef sends repo men to cut his arms and legs off to forcibly settle some of his debt

If his body was just a rig, then cutting arms and legs off wouldn't help anyone's debt; Nef already owns those arms and legs.

I just assumed that their heads are put in there by Nef's cronies in order to essentially hold the workers hostage. When you get interned they do the head swap, and then good luck going anywhere when you have to maintain a body with a head inside it. 

It also would easily facilitate "brain-shelving" presumably, which from my understanding is a punishment where the worker doesn't get to have a body for a while. 

55 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

I just assumed that their heads are put in there by Nef's cronies in order to essentially hold the workers hostage. When you get interned they do the head swap, and then good luck going anywhere when you have to maintain a body with a head inside it. 

It also would easily facilitate "brain-shelving" presumably, which from my understanding is a punishment where the worker doesn't get to have a body for a while. 

But why the chest? Couldn't they have the heads just on the necks like normal? Like the vent kids?

14 minutes ago, Zylofan said:

But why the chest? Couldn't they have the heads just on the necks like normal? Like the vent kids?

I assumed the vent kids are only in Fortuna because their parents work there, obviously a worker in Fortuna has pretty hefty work hours so the vent kids just hang out and be delinquent. 

Part of it might also be that some workers have implants specifically designed for particular work. If I remember correctly Ticker's bonds sometimes show info like that. It could be that the heads are put in the chest because that's overall the safest spot on a human body to put something, and then the worker gets a head relevant to their job, like the mining guy having a head that looks somewhat like a hard hat. Nef would be willing to spend some small amount of money to keep workers alive; if they die under the terrible working conditions of Fortuna then their debt can't be paid off.

1 minute ago, YUNoJump said:

I assumed the vent kids are only in Fortuna because their parents work there, obviously a worker in Fortuna has pretty hefty work hours so the vent kids just hang out and be delinquent. 

Part of it might also be that some workers have implants specifically designed for particular work. If I remember correctly Ticker's bonds sometimes show info like that. It could be that the heads are put in the chest because that's overall the safest spot on a human body to put something, and then the worker gets a head relevant to their job, like the mining guy having a head that looks somewhat like a hard hat. Nef would be willing to spend some small amount of money to keep workers alive; if they die under the terrible working conditions of Fortuna then their debt can't be paid off.

But then what about their human limbs? I can see the head in the chest being the "safest" spot for it, but then why not give them a full robotic rig, what do the arms get them?

There is no official explanation. Honestly, and frankly, I don't think DE has an answer. They've always been weak in the lore department, especially recently. The heads in the chest was probably put there solely to drive home the body-horror theme they were going for with the design. I doubt very much there was any real thought put into it.

That said, this is something that'd been bothering me as well so I cooked up my own headcannon which I think makes sufficient sense.

Nef needs labor on Fortuna. People come to Fortuna for work. Nef tells them they have to do way hazardous jobs and they need sick robot bodies to do it. Nef has science bois lop off their heads and stuff their bodies full of robot crap. Any part of the body that can't be sufficiently stuffed with robits is totally replaced. This is why they still have some human limbs. Then stuff the head into a protected case in the core because hazardous environments and it's your last real organ. Welcome to Nefco, you owe me a billion credits, have a nice day. Taxmen are not there to repossess assets, they just want to stuff you full of Circuits so that you're tied down to Fortuna.

• Like 1

Part of the "augmenting" they go through aren't just to put them more in debt but are required for them to work in the harsh conditions.

Such as their lungs being removed due to the danger of coolant gasses and presumably the atmosphere on the surface itself. Also as Legs (Thursby) said during the quest was that he lacked the augments to work better paying jobs.

Also when a Solarian defaults on their debt and gets shelved Nef goes after their next of kin to pay off their debt. Even if giving them every augment under the sun by default would put them in some incredible debt they still profit from people defaulting and would probably make them less of a liability if their parts get damaged/lost and they default.

But as far as why specifically they get their heads shoved into their chest I'd say it's because it's cheaper, more convenient (for Nef), and because it's dehumanizing.

If most (all) of their organs get removed either to allow them to work or begin paying their debts (pretty sure Eudico says there are markets for "parts") their chest cavity is now empty/mostly gone. And if the gasses and atmosphere are hazardous why give them helmets when their chests are now roomy enough to accommodate their heads?

Making them "detachable" would also make it easier to preform further reposessions as well as allowing brain shelving.

Finally dehumanizing them makes it easier to keep them in line. Ticker has a lengthy bit of dialogue about it talking about he used to "be his legs and arms" but got past it realizing "the real you is behind your eyes" (or something along these lines).

At least this is how I see their situation as based off the lore and information we currently have. Although I've not gotten around to scanning the new lore bits recently added.

Edited by trst
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

This would make sense if it wasn't for Thursby/Legs. Thursby starts the quest with his normal body, minus his head being replaced. Then Nef sends repo men to cut his arms and legs off to forcibly settle some of his debt

If his body was just a rig, then cutting arms and legs off wouldn't help anyone's debt; Nef already owns those arms and legs.

Thursby's model was a RIG but the story treated it as a normal body.

Thursby'a arms had the same patterns that other Solaris characters.

His legs were thinner I admit but still thicker than say an Ostron (normal human).

Also Thursby didn't have a head either. I feel like they should have used a regular Corpus model for him impo.

The Ventkids I don't get. They don't work so why are they in a RIG?

I want to say the RIG is required to survive in the harsh conditions of Venus.

Warframes have no issue. Operator's are Void imbued so...maybe that allows them to survive.

• Like 1

Having human like arms and legs makes sense if we see the rigs not as a factory produced thing that you get your head shoved into but instead see it as modifications to the original body.  So, closer to what was implied, that their heads were replaced and their minds copied to the machine bits.  Only turns out that doing that, if possible in warframe lore, would be expensive.  Cheaper to lop off a head and stick it within the safety of the chest to control it than trying to copy the mind to the machine.

As for the vent kids, it is an internment camp where debt is passed amongst families.  Fortuna is supposed to have no escape, so if you are born to it or your family is pushed to Fortuna, welcome to the same treatment because eventually you will work.

Though that the vent kids aren't forced into service could mean that Corpus have laws prohibiting child labor.

Edited by SweetJackal

6 hours ago, Zylofan said:

But then what about their human limbs? I can see the head in the chest being the "safest" spot for it, but then why not give them a full robotic rig, what do the arms get them?

You are assuming they’re human limbs of flesh and blood. This is the future and for all we know they’re mechanical synthetics, made to look human... or orokin... simply for personal appeal.

We have prostethics today where people choose more life like versions with less mobility because they feel self conscious about the ‘robot look’ of the more mechanical variants.

6 hours ago, YUNoJump said:

assumed the vent kids are only in Fortuna because their parents work there, obviously a worker in Fortuna has pretty hefty work hours so the vent kids just hang out and be delinquent. 

Vent kids are orphans.  The "logical fam" comments are a pun because they have no biological ties to anyone.  They hide out in the vents because they're hard to catch and it makes it easier for them to steal from the Corpus - which seems to be part of how they support themselves.  

They also probably have cripplingly high debt inherited from their parents, and can't be modded until they're full grown.  

25 minutes ago, (XB1)SavvyDeath said:

They have heads in their chests? how do you guys know that? maybe its just that i rarely went to fortuna or i am blind.

You need to have the highest tier of their reputation system and you can see their true faces

The Discord channel that was running before the PC release had a lot of lore in it.

If I remember correctly then the solaris start out as "normal" but then they get some augments so they can work/live in the vallis (head removed, etc)
The augmentation puts them in dept and if they can't pay it back then neffies taxmen come and take away some body parts and sell them to richer customers who can afford organic parts. If there is nothing else left then they take away the brain and put it on a shelf while their next relative gets to pay the bills.

Now this is a very simplified version of the story but thats basically the lore for the entire solaris population.

11 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Thursby's model was a RIG but the story treated it as a normal body.

Thursby'a arms had the same patterns that other Solaris characters.

His legs were thinner I admit but still thicker than say an Ostron (normal human).

Also Thursby didn't have a head either. I feel like they should have used a regular Corpus model for him impo.

The Ventkids I don't get. They don't work so why are they in a RIG?

I want to say the RIG is required to survive in the harsh conditions of Venus.

Warframes have no issue. Operator's are Void imbued so...maybe that allows them to survive.

Yeah, this sounds like a theorycrafter digging himself deeper. "The bodies MUST be rigs, even though every detail I try and consolidate makes less and less sense" because the details very clearly indicate that the bodies are their original bodies and not brand-new rigs.

I am going with @Nesodos on this; Thursby is in his original body, and the head-removal is just to hold the workers hostage and doesn't actually help them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Yeah, this sounds like a theorycrafter digging himself deeper. "The bodies MUST be rigs, even though every detail I try and consolidate makes less and less sense" because the details very clearly indicate that the bodies are their original bodies and not brand-new rigs.

I am going with @Nesodos on this; Thursby is in his original body, and the head-removal is just to hold the workers hostage and doesn't actually help them 

Some of it is theorycraft.

But Thursby already had his head in his chest when we met him.

His arms did match the arms other fully augmented Solaris citizens had.

Go replay the quest & you can see it yourself.

His legs were different I admit. (This thread made me replay the quest.)

DE lore? More like tossing every cool idea at the wall and seeing if it will stick.

Still, a full rig could be too expensive.

Think of it like someone taking a credit to rent tools they need to work. Science fiction is full of “modifying/augmenting a body to perform a specific task in hostile environment.” Then, imagine that there are no laws protecting you from your creditor. Said creditor raises the persentages, raises monthly fees for rig maintenance, shelter, training and so on. Oh, and on top of that you already got your parents debts on you. So... the more tools you rent, the more interest you have to pay.

It may be awesome to not feel the cold, or pain, or hunger, to be able to swim in coolant, lift 10 times your weight and have a constant internet connection. But knowing that all of that can be taken away? That your original body will not be returned? And that you will be reduced to a head and sit in isolation slowly going mad? Because your creditor business meeting did not go well? Yeh.

Better keep whatever body parts you can.

And that’s not going into psychological effects of being turned into a tool.

20 hours ago, Zylofan said:

If the only parts of your humanity left are your biological limbs, would you be rearing to give them up?