Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ability to Hide/Show MR

Nexthazard

Now why would this little Tenno wanna hide his Mastery Rank :P

Simply because people treat you differently when you have a low or high MR Low MR are seen as new starters yet they may not be as i know a few players who simply don't want to level fodder and as a high level MR user omg Some people expect you to be a god but i Die to :/ sometimes my builds are crap lol.

I would simply like the Option to Hide or show my MR.

No.

MR no matter what you say mean EXPERIENCE.

Even if the high MR mean fast exp farming, still that dude tried every weapon/frame he could... that mean, he experienced the game.

Yes!

Low MR mean that the guy know nothing YET! But he's learning.

Leave it as it is.

• Like 1

I dont like this. I agree with the person above this reply.

having low MR means you are new no doubt about that(unless its an alt account) and lets say you doing derilect vaults, its okay for an mr 10 to not know how they are done so by seeing they are new you may help them out and explain and they shouldnt be ashamed, while when an mr 20 doesnt know how to do them its different as he has spent way more time in the game and its expected they to know this.

In a way MR shows how much a person knows about the game and what you can expect from them when making a squad, so if the ability to hide the MR can be problematic(example: A new player mr 10 does their first derilect vault and has their mr hidden. The squadmates dont know they are new and expect they to know what to do, and when the mr 10 messes up or doesnt know what to do the other teammates would just react negatively and call them a 'noob' and the squad gets disbanded and the mission doesnt get done, leaving the mr 10 feeling sad if they were insulted. But when the MR on that person is shown like it is now, the other squadmates would know what to expect and would be more willing to help them out and make sure they have what they need to run the mission, and even if the mr 10 doesnt know what they need it would be acceptable they dont know as they are still new and they can see that by the mr.)

1 hour ago, THeMooN85 said:

No.

Even if the high MR mean fast exp farming, still that dude tried every weapon/frame he could... that mean, he experienced the game.

Yes!

Leave it as it is.

I disagree with this, especially when you say "That mean, he experienced the game".  It doesn't mean they have experienced the game, it just means they experience one or two nodes/missions over and over.  Besides, you don't even know if someone has fired a single shot with any of the weapons until you go into their profile.

il y a une heure, AwkwardLazarow a dit :

I dont like this. I agree with the person above this reply.

having low MR means you are new no doubt about that(unless its an alt account) and lets say you doing derilect vaults, its okay for an mr 10 to not know how they are done so by seeing they are new you may help them out and explain and they shouldnt be ashamed, while when an mr 20 doesnt know how to do them its different as he has spent way more time in the game and its expected they to know this.

In a way MR shows how much a person knows about the game and what you can expect from them when making a squad, so if the ability to hide the MR can be problematic(example: A new player mr 10 does their first derilect vault and has their mr hidden. The squadmates dont know they are new and expect they to know what to do, and when the mr 10 messes up or doesnt know what to do the other teammates would just react negatively and call them a 'noob' and the squad gets disbanded and the mission doesnt get done, leaving the mr 10 feeling sad if they were insulted. But when the MR on that person is shown like it is now, the other squadmates would know what to expect and would be more willing to help them out and make sure they have what they need to run the mission, and even if the mr 10 doesnt know what they need it would be acceptable they dont know as they are still new and they can see that by the mr.)

It looks like you're giving a lot of powers to this MR rank ... it's a grinding counter not a knowledge counter ! 

I don't mind people not knowing about mechanics as long as they don't pretend they know, if they don't, that's the problem!

It's completely possible to buy everything with platinum from those vault, and go back there later to get some platinum farming and not knowing what to do...

As a MR 26 the problem with low MR is they tend to insult me because they don't understand a mechanic... Like eidolons shields not counting in damage statistics.

as a basic idea, whatever your MR is, if you don't know you can ask nicely to your team or go to wiki before if you're scared of their reactions...

As you just seen, people are assuming a lot of things about high MR... and it's wrong... a grinding counter is just that ... Connecting their own expectation to something unrelated...

I'm not the highest MR, 16, but when I see players at a lower MR than me, it generally doesn't bother me, even if it is in Sorties or intense missions. 

If they have questions I try to help them out as I can. Everyone gets experience, and everyone started from somewhere. 

As for the MR being shown/hidden, I think that it should be just be shown. Since there are a couple of missions where you really need specific things, and players.

Im mr26 and the only time im ever bothered with low mr players is literally when im in sorties and theres someone completely unprepared for them.  Like the requirement is just to complete tww or something which is a pretty massive gear gap to sorties.  I can carry people fine,  i just dont like constantly ressurrecting someone or getting whined at cus i leave them to die

4 hours ago, AkyFenrir said:

It looks like you're giving a lot of powers to this MR rank ... it's a grinding counter not a knowledge counter ! 

I don't mind people not knowing about mechanics as long as they don't pretend they know, if they don't, that's the problem!

It's completely possible to buy everything with platinum from those vault, and go back there later to get some platinum farming and not knowing what to do...

As a MR 26 the problem with low MR is they tend to insult me because they don't understand a mechanic... Like eidolons shields not counting in damage statistics.

as a basic idea, whatever your MR is, if you don't know you can ask nicely to your team or go to wiki before if you're scared of their reactions...

As you just seen, people are assuming a lot of things about high MR... and it's wrong... a grinding counter is just that ... Connecting their own expectation to something unrelated...

People in general misconstrue MR to be equivalent to experience / knowledge. They treat it sort of like a power-level from Dragon Ball Z. Only problem is that, the same power-levels attributed to high MR tenno is just as useless and pointless as those power-levels from Dragon Ball Z.  You acknowledge this by saying it is a grinding counter, and while this is true, it doesn't mean the public at large in-game view it that way. There are plenty of (salty) individuals I have met in PUGs who waste no time utilizing that menial and worthless counter as ammo for insults. Like-wise, there are times when High MR players, who are just trying different things to have fun, are somewhat restricted in doing so because you'll have 1 or 2 groupies who view that Grind Counter as the End-All of Warframe.

To me, personally, the MR thing being Public is just pointless. Sure, having it on the profile is nice, and having something to work towards is nice as well (it's a motivator, for sure), but I personally think at the same time having it next to name-plates is pointless. It doesn't contribute any special information to the mission that would affect it one way or the other, and only elitists really focus on it anyways.

TL;DR : If it's just a grind counter, why is it plastered everywhere? If it doesn't mean much, why is it on the HUD next to the more important information (HP, Shields, Energy)? Do we still then really need it?

MR is easily obtainable, but the important part to me is that the tests are meant to prove you either have the skill or the diversity in your arsenal to work within specific types of scenarios that can come up across the game.

I can usually carry my team through most content when needed so I don't mind if they are low MR, but it helps knowing so I can keep an eye on them or teach them a few things if they are playing badly. Or if it's worth going out of my way to help them. For example a very low MR player joining in the top bounty in the Plains (which I've experienced a few times). Pretend as much as you want, but you are not equipped enough to be of any use to your team at that point. I don't mind them coming and helping them out, but it's good to know that if it comes down to saving the objective or saving them from bleedout that they wouldn't be any help if I spent the time to save them.

The one huge problem I see with an MR hiding button is that it's going to increase the amount of new players spoiled by older players (Second Dream).  Whenever I run missions public below Pluto, I always check for players with single digit MR (0-9); if any are present, I check their profile to see if they've finished the Second Dream.  If the ability to hide MR is implemented and newer players hide their MR to avoid being tagged as new players, I will not think to check their profiles and risk spoiling the game.

Secondly, Warframe is a PvE game, so ultimately, the amount of toxicity one will find regarding MR isn't too high, and cases of trolls and extremely toxic players is still considerably low compared to other online games.  I believe the ability to see MR is part of that.  Sure, high MR players are held to a higher standard; sure, getting downed once or twice should be forgiven, but ultimately, unless one is the type to simply sit in Hydron for hours with boosters to grind every weapon, a high MR player *should* play smarter and better than lower MR players.  In addition, I personally am much more likely to be forgiving to people of low MR. 

Limbo is the strongest example I can imagine, as, if someone uses Cataclysm on the Mobile Defense terminal before I can put in the datamass, I'm going to be pretty annoyed.  If they're MR26 (especially with Limbo Prime), you can bet I'm going to be frustrated, and, if they don't take it down after I ask them to, I'll probably leave squad.  If they're MR4 though (especially with normal Limbo), I'm much more likely to just take to typing to them and help them learn their Warframe.

I can see your reasoning for wanting to hide MR, and I'm sure there are people out their who use MR as an excuse for unfair judgement and poor behavior, but I think the disclosure of MR more often serves as a way of helping keep positive relations between the high MR players and low MR players, whether their MR reflects achievement or experience.  In addition, if the ability to hide MR was a choice, it's quite possible that not displaying your MR will make you a target because it implies you have something to hide.

14 hours ago, THeMooN85 said:

o.

Yes!

Not accurate.  I'm MR23, but I have a friend with three times my playtime but an MR five ranks lower than me.  He found the weapons and frames he likes, dumped formas into them, and enjoys playing the game with his current equipment without care to try any weapons that don't interest him.  He's been playing longer than I have and knows way more of the small details of the game than I, who have focused on ranking up more than really exploring each tile when running missions.  In addition, I've played all but three frames (technically six, but those are normal vs prime issues which aren't relevant here), but I have less than 3% playtime on majority of them, because I have a smaller selection of preferred frames.  I leveled Mag to 30 and have Mag Prime at 30 currently, but I honestly can't even tell you what her abilities do (other than that her 3 can restore the shields of excavators).

11 hours ago, AkyFenrir said:

I think the problem in this case is not MR but those players themselves.  Low MR players shouldn't be insulting high MR players, because, more likely than not, higher MR players know better than low MR players.  Your example with Eidolon shields is a perfect example of that.  Even if your MR was hidden, if you dealt little damage, that type of person would probably complain anyway.  Using damage as a gauge of participation is often worthless in Warframe anyway; a Trinity or Volt in Eidolon fights aren't supposed to have high damage, because they serve supportive functions.  Even if a Trinity does 0% damage, without her, good-bye Eidolon lures.  And Volt?  Those shields only make the damage dealers' numbers higher.  This is a problem of lower MR players being ignorant in their arrogance, and being able to see their low MR means it's easier to talk them down for speaking nonsense if they want to give attitude.

Rather than hide MR, we as a community need to better establish how MR should reflect how we interact: low MR players should respect high MR players by acknowledging their advice, assuming that they know what they are doing, and recognizing that all players, regardless of MR, can still mess up; high MR players should show patience and guidance to low MR players by looking over mistakes, politely informing players of any possible misunderstandings they may have, and showing that they don't exist on some higher plane that low MR players can't reach.  A healthy community comes from a relationship where new players acknowledge the superiority of older players but older players treat newer players as equals.  The unhealthy assumption that high MR players shouldn't mess up or should always be better results from a situations in which high MR players assert their authority, regardless of whether it's justified or not.  If we encourage a healthier culture for communication, there will be no need to hide MR whatsoever.

On 2019-01-28 at 7:15 AM, Nexthazard said:

Now why would this little Tenno wanna hide his Mastery Rank 😛

Simply because people treat you differently when you have a low or high MR Low MR are seen as new starters yet they may not be as i know a few players who simply don't want to level fodder and as a high level MR user omg Some people expect you to be a god but i Die to 😕 sometimes my builds are crap lol.

I would simply like the Option to Hide or show my MR.

🤔   😮     😈

I'd love to see what happens. A lot of people won't know how categorise other players anymore and might have to base their opinion on performance, instead of perceptions. 

Most folks seem to realise on some level that MR is pretty meaningless apart from a very rough guide. Most folks will probably still be able to guess based on whether the loadouts are appropriate for the missions. But we might all get some surprises along the way. 

Mastery Rank and experience aren't the same thing. Was MR20 last month and mr26 now.
Considering my profile hours, I probably should have been in mr26 for a long time (a bit over 4k, I might just not have a life 😞 ), but the truth is I didn't really want to bother until recently. Also I definitely didn't learn much from the last month since all I did was spam hydron / eso the entire break.

In missions I don't care. You can still pull your weight with a Rhino and a Hek, if you know what you're doing.

But I would really want to know if someone is MR6 before trading with them. As it is right now, DE still punish you for recieving bad platinum, rather than the real culprit, who can just ditch a low MR account and make a new one (rinse and repeat).

Personally I don't really care for MR as long they don't die every 30 seconds.
But MR is useful at a glance whether I know I will be carrying the team or just chilling.

Yes high MR is not end all be all, but it also means they can use weapons and rivens that are far more powerful than what most low MRs can use after all.

I look at high and low mr as relevant. Most mr24 and up have a clue and will be in the battle. Most really low mr players need our help and encouragement. MR4 that run in a sortie are usually comprised and I’ve seen them struggle a good bit, not all, but many. I don’t see a lot of struggle with high MR Tenno. Everything in the middle is a big guess each time for me.