Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong rework first impressions

(PSN)RenovaKunumaru

Wukong doesn't sound improved at all.

• Giving Wukong a specter ability is worthless. We all know how effective AI specters are in Warframe. 
  • Wukong lost his permanent life with Defy
  • The problem with Wukong's 4 is that it isn't special. You might as well use a regular melee weapon than use his staff.
  • Like 3

K.

As the wukong rework that me along with the other 6 wukong mains have been waiting for just got shown on devstream thought i'd give impressions

1. Clones are S#&$. Just as a blanket statement at best Loki'd clones shoot an enemy while in place at worst Atlas' clones ramble about doing nothing. DE your AI isn't good enough to justify adding more clones into the game. Giving wukong a clone might be thematically cool, just as Atlas' 4 is, but I can almost guarantee it will be completely useless if the history of other clones and minions are any indication.

2. They didn't show the changes to defy so there's nothing to discuss on this topic. Changing defy could go either way but it needs to be shown and not told.

3. Cloud walker sucks. You decided to change his best ability yet keep his objective worst ability. Even with added speed it won't be better than just using the already great parkour system in the game. And while im parkouring im not stuck as an actual cloud doing nothing. It's amazing how you could look at all his abilities and decide the ability to keep and just buff stats was his 3. Makes 0 sense and I can 100% guarantee that it will still be one of the worst abilities in the game. A polished turd is still a turd none the less.

4. As the same with his 2 you showed very little. The new combo changes look fine but doesn't do anything to the root of the problem. Impact sucks, his staff has low status, and the range is piss poor compared to any good melee. Locking it behind a baruuk like meter does nothing but hinder it. Make it look as pretty as you like but no one will ever use it if it's objectively worse than using a weapon that doesn't require energy.

Good thing all the changes are currently WIP as there's so much that missed the mark. You decided to add things into his bad kit that have historically been bad in warframe. You changed abilities that didn't need to be changed and buffed ones that needed to be taken out completely. Very little was done to truly fix the core issues wukong as a frame has while you added in abilities that may be thematically cool but have are bad in game.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

• Giving Wukong a specter ability is worthless. We all know how effective AI specters are in Warframe. 
  • The problem with Wukong's 4 is that it isn't special. You might as well use a regular melee weapon than use his staff.

1) And his current 1 was good?  His specter has potential.

2) oh no. /s

3) No the problem was that it was very awkward to use and was outshined by melee weapons.  We didn't even get to see the built in rage mechanic.

hace 1 minuto, (XB1)Knight Raime dijo:

2) oh no. /s

3) No the problem was that it was very awkward to use and was outshined by melee weapons.  We didn't even get to see the built in rage mechanic.

Why you need see the range of the 4th, whit the sheep impact DMG

18 minutes ago, toyetic said:

K.

As the wukong rework that me along with the other 6 wukong mains have been waiting for just got shown on devstream thought i'd give impressions

1. Clones are S#&$. Just as a blanket statement at best Loki'd clones shoot an enemy while in place at worst Atlas' clones ramble about doing nothing. DE your AI isn't good enough to justify adding more clones into the game. Giving wukong a clone might be thematically cool, just as Atlas' 4 is, but I can almost guarantee it will be completely useless if the history of other clones and minions are any indication.

The fact that his specter can also taunt means it's already better than any other AI based ability.

2. They didn't show the changes to defy so there's nothing to discuss on this topic. Changing defy could go either way but it needs to be shown and not told.

At least you're willing to let go of undying.

3. Cloud walker sucks. You decided to change his best ability yet keep his objective worst ability. Even with added speed it won't be better than just using the already great parkour system in the game. And while im parkouring im not stuck as an actual cloud doing nothing. It's amazing how you could look at all his abilities and decide the ability to keep and just buff stats was his 3. Makes 0 sense and I can 100% guarantee that it will still be one of the worst abilities in the game. A polished turd is still a turd none the less.

I disagree.  Just because better movement exists doesn't mean movement based abilities are automatically garbage.  It also depends what other mechanics are tied to it.  In this case we're getting a higher crit chance the longer you're in it and it sounded like they mentioned you can attack out of it.  They didn't mention if they removed the ability to open people to finishers when you leave it near enemies either.  I can sympathize with the disappointment that they didn't go with something a bit more creative.  But I would wait to see.

4. As the same with his 2 you showed very little. The new combo changes look fine but doesn't do anything to the root of the problem. Impact sucks, his staff has low status, and the range is piss poor compared to any good melee. Locking it behind a baruuk like meter does nothing but hinder it. Make it look as pretty as you like but no one will ever use it if it's objectively worse than using a weapon that doesn't require energy.

It was my understanding that the problem with his 4 besides it being clunky combo wise was that normal melee's outshined it.  Their comment about baruuk didn't come off as "do x thing to get access to it ala baruuk" but more so a build up mechanic ala baruuk.  But instead of gaining access to his 4 like baruuk the "rage" mechanic will likely improve the weapon. 

Good thing all the changes are currently WIP as there's so much that missed the mark. You decided to add things into his bad kit that have historically been bad in warframe. You changed abilities that didn't need to be changed and buffed ones that needed to be taken out completely. Very little was done to truly fix the core issues wukong as a frame has while you added in abilities that may be thematically cool but have are bad in game.

I'll have to agree to disagree here.  I think that they have a good starting point with these changes.

• Like 2

As Wukong is the frame that i can identify as my 'main'. I cant agree more.

The only thing Wukong has is his Defy and its synergy with arcanes.

Cloudwalker doesn't seem changed at all. Slightly more speed? For real? Its supposed to lauch you like Zephyr's 1 - Sun Wukong can travel for thousands of miles in a single somersault.

Spectres are bad, this one isn't invulnerable so i don't see how it will be much different than Equinox's duality. No amount of power strength will change that.

His 4 needs a real rework. What they showed is not a rework - its a tweak. Even if the damage is buffed 10 times it will still be insufficient. Most exalted weapons aren't used for a good reason. Excal, titania and valkir suposedly have the best exalted weapons, but they still suck compared to other gear.

Which leaves again only his 2. We havent seen it in the devstream, but if they say that its no longer a tank ability...

Warframe is all about being situationally best at something. Wukong's current defy made him situationally the thoughest frame around. I dont see how the new changes make him situationally best at anything.

15 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

He's been dead since 2015 and only now you're saying RIP

The only dead thing about it is the brain dead common opinion about Wukong. Its like saying 'Pit bulls are aggressive and dangerous dogs'. A stigma and complete BS. For those who actually know the frame, its a completely different story. Inaros or valkyr should be considered way worse frames, but oh wait, they are not. No offence toward you intended.

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

It has no potential, its basically equinox's duality. More power strength wont change anything.

Edited by scourge213
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

The fact that his specter can also taunt means it's already better than any other AI based ability.

The other AI abilities are Atlas' 4, loki's 1 and equinox's augmented 1 All of which are bad except loki's 1 which isn't great anyway it just doesnt move around so it's easy for cc

7 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I disagree.  Just because better movement exists doesn't mean movement based abilities are automatically garbage.  It also depends what other mechanics are tied to it.  In this case we're getting a higher crit chance the longer you're in it and it sounded like they mentioned you can attack out of it.  They didn't mention if they removed the ability to open people to finishers when you leave it near enemies either.  I can sympathize with the disappointment that they didn't go with something a bit more creative.  But I would wait to see.

I'm not saying an ability has to be better than nova's portal to be good. If that were the case both nezha and volt would be much worse. I'm saying is that there is never any good in being put into a cloud. No matter how much movement speed or crit chance is given it'll always be much faster to kill the enemies without going into the cloud

9 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

It was my understanding that the problem with his 4 besides it being clunky combo wise was that normal melee's outshined it.  Their comment about baruuk didn't come off as "do x thing to get access to it ala baruuk" but more so a build up mechanic ala baruuk.  But instead of gaining access to his 4 like baruuk the "rage" mechanic will likely improve the weapon. 

Thats a good point, They could indeed tie some buffs with a rage mechanic build up rather than hinder it. I wish they had rigged it enough to show it but it's entirely possible its a positive rather than a negative

6 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

it can taunt enemies along side wukong himself.  absolutely has potential.

It has abosolutely no potential. The taunt is not a skill of the spectre, its a sill of the player. You need to baby sit the specter, and equninox can already do that with vazarin.

Edit. even if it was a skill of the specter it would still be useless due to the useless AI.

Edited by scourge213

1 hour ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

That moment when a better buff for Wukong would have been just removing him from the game... like ouch...