Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4x CP/SD aura ''meta'' makes Hildryn useless

Wyrmius_Prime

Hildryn in high level gameplay completely relies on her overshield passive boosts to prevent her from taking damage directly to her health. Her only way of restoring shields including her own is Pillage. Pillage's shield restoration is based on the amount of shield or armor nearby enemies have. 4x Corrosive projection and Shield Disruption auras are able to reduce either enemy armor completely or enemy shields by 96%. This means that Hildryn isn't able to restore any shields or only a minimal portion of the shields that she could be restoring. That is a big problem in my opinion, and leaves squads with 2 options: either they handicap their own damage output by not equipping these auras so that Hildryn can restore some shields, or they'll just throw Hildryn to the trash. Let's not also forget that HIldryn's overshield passives do not transfer to any team mates, so the shields she is restoring to them are completely useless for them.

Pilgrim's number of shields restored should be calculated from the base armor/shield values of enemies, so that equipping some of the best auras in the game wouldn't handicap her gameplay.

This issue was raised from day one of release, I know I mentioned it at least and I doubt I was the only one...

It's why I haven't stuck the usual CP on her builds, however it's not the only way you can get your shields back.... not saying you don't have a valid point however, it would be better if it took from their pre-reduced stats but doubt that will happen.

1 minute ago, ShichiseitenYasha said:

I mean, this is essentially the running Mag against infested or Limbo in Extermination problem. 

Why are you running a frame that requires shields with a team comp and mod setup that removes shields?  

The OP is complaining about how the 'meta' nerfs hildryn abilities, basically the OP is not choosing to run with them, they're just ending up with them etc.

Edited by LSG501

28 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

Well until around lvl 200 you really dont need 4xCP, especially if you have a frame like hildryn or saryn in your team, who can strip armor fast.

The other auras aren't any more meaningful in low or mid level play. I'm either forced to play solo or with a pre-made squad for low level missions if I wish to use my abilities on Hildryn, because people are using those auras by default. Because of the scaling nature of Pilgrim and no minimum shield restoration values to speak of, upkeeping even minor passive shield drain from Haven, Aegis Storm or Balefire becomes a problem especially in low and mid level missions, which majority of the game revolves around. There's no fun to be had with Hildryn in public missions.

I recently min-maxed my Hildryn even though I barely play her, and I noticed that I couldn't even get back the shield cost of Pillage back in sorties because armor and shield debuffs from team members hinder her playstyle that heavily.

30 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

The OP is complaining about how the 'meta' nerfs hildryn abilities, basically the OP is not choosing to run with them, they're just ending up with them etc.

This. People run those auras by default, because majority of the other auras are pure trash. That's game balance at its finest. Since energy siphon is also useless, I end up running with either Sprint Boost or Growing Power.

31 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

however it's not the only way you can get your shields back....

True, but the number of ways to get overshields is much lower, and whether or not the number of overshields restored is adequate enough in relation to Hildryn's ability costs is debatable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

True, but the number of ways to get overshields is much lower, and whether or not the number of overshields restored is adequate enough in relation to Hildryn's ability costs is debatable. 

Actually the way I was thinking doesn't even cost anything and in my experience it's actually pretty good return.... it actually makes the 2 sentinel mods (guardian and shield charger) for warframe shields useful lol

12 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

This. People run those auras by default, because majority of the other auras are pure trash. That's game balance at its finest. Since energy siphon is also useless, I end up running with either Sprint Boost or Growing Power. 

I run that toxin resistance aura that drops from nox (if you're lucky with the 0.23% drop chance...), seeing as shields are useless against toxins and we have a rifle mod that gives us 25% speed buff it just makes more sense for me personally.

Edited by LSG501

CPx4 and Shield Disruption is hardly a meta and I mean that spanning lvl 100 to 9,999.

The only functional difference between using them or not is simply the frames and weapons you pick.

Obviously a frame that relies on leeching one of those isn't going to perform well while Ember, the frame everyone acts like is the worst ever provides massive group DPS. Similarly Equinox's Maim does nothing to armored enemies and Saryn melts them. Weapons are the same situation. The only thing that changes is what you use.

I'm still baffled DE hasn't changed the weapon Auras to multiplicative bonuses but there's a couple other picks. Ah well, all the great things I get to avoid by playing Solo for literally years now. I don't wana play with a buncha strangers. Why I miss the old Void Key days. Pick our time and go.

• Like 1

I see it as less of a nerf  to her and more as freeing up builds from relying on those auras. However I rarely see full squads of those auras, if any at all unless it's mostly a pre-made doing long ass endurance runs. I think the more people play her the less you'll start seeing those auras altogether. Just give it some time

4 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

I rarely, if ever, see 4xCP squads and I never see 4xSD ones in public matchup. Your claim that this makes Hildryn useless is an EXTREME hyperbole. 

This is exactly what i was thinking. Sure its part of the meta and usually ideal to use. But in actual public gameplay, lets be honest, having FOUR of either just doesnt happen often.

Maybe 1 in 100 games ill get a unicorn match where all 4 people are using the optimal Auras. In the extremely small chance that i run into this and actually need it for survivability, i throw out a Shield Osprey and im fine the entire mission.

It really doesnt bother me to do this because it happens so infrequently.

• Like 1

Il y a 4 heures, (PS4)LoisGordils a dit :

I rarely, if ever, see 4xCP squads and I never see 4xSD ones in public matchup. Your claim that this makes Hildryn useless is an EXTREME hyperbole. 

It doesn't really matter cause even 2 or 3x CP can severely impaired Hildryn ressources anyway. The same way a Saryn or a Mag can strip shields or armor long before you.

Hildryn has major design flaws and sadly devs never did care about that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

just throw Hildryn to the trash

I don't see why are we discussing this further, when we are already presented with a perfectly viable solution. 😄 

Edited by Ver1dian

59 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

I don't see why are we discussing this further, when we are already presented with a perfectly viable solution. 😄 

Indeed. The Kirill Tereshin frame should be as effective as a bazooka arms syntholer.

8 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

That's the extreme case. ANY number of those auras equipped puts Hildryn into a big disadvantage. The effect of 1-3 CP auras becomes less noticable in level 100+ missions, but there's hardly any of those in the entire game outside of Sortie 3.

• Like 2

Just to note: for there to be 4xCP or 4xSD, that means the Hildryn player is also contributing one of those auras. If you want to avoid the problem, simply do not equip either of those auras when playing Hildryn (which you should be doing anyway, precisely because it messes with your drain). That does leave the problem of other reduction auras weakening her restoration, though, so I can agree there's still a problem. Hildryn has a lot of design issues I'd say, but at the very least, making her self-restore scale with the number of enemies the ability hits, regardless of armor or shields (and perhaps have the ability mark enemies for a duration to no longer provide a restore on subsequent casts, to prevent spam) could make for a much more consistent effect with the same core gameplay.

• Like 1

They've seemingly already moved on from her without fixing this problem. It would have been simple to just make pillage also do some small % of damage on top of what it currently does so that it was always useful against all types of enemies and regardless of whether or not they had already been stripped of armor, but I guess they didn't want to for whatever reason. IE: make it deal 5% of her maximum shield value in damage to an enemy and have that contribute to the shields restored.

Having Pillage be affected by the stats of enemies has always felt off to me, having it be a static amount per enemy (regardless of level) would be far more consistent with the mechanics of other Warframes (and would fix problems like in the OP).

Concept: Hildryn replenishes 200 Shield/Overshield per enemy affected by Pillage.

Yes, this takes away a bit of the nuance, and does nerf her a bit in high level, but it would be well worth the consistency of knowing Pillage will always do something.

On 2019-06-19 at 5:24 AM, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Hildryn in high level gameplay completely relies on her overshield passive boosts to prevent her from taking damage directly to her health. Her only way of restoring shields including her own is Pillage. Pillage's shield restoration is based on the amount of shield or armor nearby enemies have. 4x Corrosive projection and Shield Disruption auras are able to reduce either enemy armor completely or enemy shields by 96%. This means that Hildryn isn't able to restore any shields or only a minimal portion of the shields that she could be restoring. That is a big problem in my opinion, and leaves squads with 2 options: either they handicap their own damage output by not equipping these auras so that Hildryn can restore some shields, or they'll just throw Hildryn to the trash. Let's not also forget that HIldryn's overshield passives do not transfer to any team mates, so the shields she is restoring to them are completely useless for them.

Pilgrim's number of shields restored should be calculated from the base armor/shield values of enemies, so that equipping some of the best auras in the game wouldn't handicap her gameplay.

Welcome to the club of being useless

-Mag

8 hours ago, moostar95 said:

Don't waste your breath. Entitled snobs don't get how to mod or play some frames. Mag is never useless. I take her to elite alerts solo interception. Any one that says she is useless is a brain dead noob to me. Mr 1 or above.

Indeed. Shes incredibly versatile, and ive never had an ounce of trouble against kuva flood or sortie infested... Shes a pretty great frame, and definitely endgame.