Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trading Steam Warframe Expansions for tf2/csgo keys breaks TOS?

Nibelhim

This is the forum.
Players talk here about stuff, not DE staff members.
So even if we answered your question, it would mean nothing, because it's on DE to decide.

But let me tell you this: If you have the feeling you might violate the ToS, then just don't that thing you want to do. Then you will be fine. It's not always the best idea to look for loop holes in everything.

• Like 2

When you buy those packs, you can certainly trade the mods ingame for other things ingame, like plat.

I'm not sure what packs you're referring to, but most things are applied to your account, you can't trade because there isn't an option to trade the cosmetics, glyphs and boosters.

Steam based things like the rubedo skins can indeed be traded for other steam items of other games, outside of that and you're essentially trading warframe content for another game content and that won't be allowed, anything that is a promised based trade that requires 2 trades essentially, isn't allowed

I have been here for some time, most times a player has an urge to do something that violates the rules in any way shape or form, they usually put it into a practical manner, i understand your concern, it's just a topic, you're not doing anything problematic, YET.

Grab that urge and trow it away.

So here are more details.

Upon purchase of an item on steam you may immediately apply the item to yourself or store it as a tradable item later. 

The tradable item is not account linked. As such, you are able to purchase the wukong accessories pack as an example and store it in your steam inventory for LATER use or to TRADE or GIFT. 

Now, since it is not an account nor is it linked to an account it does not break the TOS on account trading. Now since the item is a steam item, it is under steam's TOS. The item is tradable and can be traded to other players.

This also raises a new question as well. Since the pack can be traded and used at a later date, are we also able to redeem them after they are gone to get the items?

Also since DE has a 1 per person limit when purchasing ingame does this out of game purchase cause trouble if more than 1 is purchased for later use or trade? 

I suggest to raise this to support for clarity. 

What you have described is not account trading, it is gifting (and expecting something in return for it) from my perspective. 

But as mentioned we as players would not be the best source for ToS compliance queries. 

7 hours ago, Nibelhim said:

It's not important how many details you provide.
What we say has no value in this. It's always about DE. And they won't tell you things like this here...

1 hour ago, Matheoryon said:

Speaking of which, can you "gift" tennogen items from steam? I could trade that for platinum, depending on what the value per dollar is as I dont use steam with warframe anyway.

Always remember that DE doesn't enforce trades for promises. And you are only allowed to trade things, that you can trade. Tennogen, even if you can gift it, isn't tradeable. So technically you aren't allowed to trade them, even the way you thought of. 
Sure, if DE doesn't know anything about the trade, they won't ban you. But if you got scammed, of you got gifted another skin you didn't even want, then support won't help you. And if you asked for help describing the situation, you could end up getting banned.
You see the issue?

At the moment I'm uncertain if support would answer. They are still dealing with the ephemera problem and seem to be automated bots at this point.

Common sense would say it's fine since it breaks no TOS but DE could claim it breaks the spirit of the TOS. I'll try a ticket but hopefully a response here would be better as more people would see it immediately without a repaste from me with no proof that I wasn't lying.

11 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

It's not important how many details you provide.
What we say has no value in this. It's always about DE. And they won't tell you things like this here...

Always remember that DE doesn't enforce trades for promises. And you are only allowed to trade things, that you can trade. Tennogen, even if you can gift it, isn't tradeable. So technically you aren't allowed to trade them, even the way you thought of. 
Sure, if DE doesn't know anything about the trade, they won't ban you. But if you got scammed, of you got gifted another skin you didn't even want, then support won't help you. And if you asked for help describing the situation, you could end up getting banned.
You see the issue?

Yeah I find that funny. We do these kinds of Trades all the time in ESO. Is it just me or does it seem easy to get banned from this game?

41 minutes ago, Matheoryon said:

Yeah I find that funny. We do these kinds of Trades all the time in ESO. Is it just me or does it seem easy to get banned from this game?

Technically we dont know if this is bannable. By all rights it shouldnt be since no tos are broken. Just spirit of tos. But actual rules? No.

19 hours ago, Nibelhim said:

Upon purchase of an item on steam you may immediately apply the item to yourself or store it as a tradable item later. 

The tradable item is not account linked. As such, you are able to purchase the wukong accessories pack as an example and store it in your steam inventory for LATER use or to TRADE or GIFT. 

Now, since it is not an account nor is it linked to an account it does not break the TOS on account trading. Now since the item is a steam item, it is under steam's TOS. The item is tradable and can be traded to other players.

This also raises a new question as well. Since the pack can be traded and used at a later date, are we also able to redeem them after they are gone to get the items?

Also since DE has a 1 per person limit when purchasing ingame does this out of game purchase cause trouble if more than 1 is purchased for later use or trade? 

Put this in the Feedback section. The devs are more likely to read it and give you an answer.

All you're going to get here is guesses / opinions...unless there is anyone here who has actually done what you are proposing.

The issue with DE seems to be trading IN GAME items for real world items. 

In this instance since the item in question is retained in the Steam Inventory outside of the game and does not become an IN GAME item until it is actually claimed by the end user. I'd see no issue with trading that Steam Inventory item for whatever other Steam Inventory item you see fit. 

Because all of that is happening externally to the game, tho it is still possible that DE might decide to take issue with this scenario in which case I would expect them to have Steam flag the items as non-tradable. Tho that honestly seems to be a bit self defeating. 

Anyhow that's my take, take it with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, Matheoryon said:

So you didn't understand what I said.
Did I ever say that OP WILL get banned? Hell no, I'm not from DE. I have no idea. But asking us if something is a bannable offense won't do him any good, because we just have no saying in it.
I just said, that if DE decided to ban him, then he can't do anything about it. He can't say that forum told him something different. Forum=players...

1 minute ago, WhiteMarker said:

So you didn't understand what I said.
Did I ever say that OP WILL get banned? Hell no, I'm not from DE. I have no idea. But asking us if something is a bannable offense won't do him any good, because we just have no saying in it.
I just said, that if DE decided to ban him, then he can't do anything about it. He can't say that forum told him something different. Forum=players...

It was only insinuated, and I have never tried it here. I for the fun of it have tried getting perma banned a few times, but got out 🙂

1 minute ago, Matheoryon said:

It was only insinuated, and I have never tried it here. I for the fun of it have tried getting perma banned a few times, but got out 🙂

I just have no idea what you want to tell me. What point are you trying to make? 

According to the logic the first support response I got.... everyone with rubedo and phased skins should be banned... I'm trying to clarify this since I dont think the support person actually read the post before giving an automated response.

Is it even possible to trade prime access on Steam? When I try to buy prime access on Steam i get this message:

Zitat

Because the contents of Warframe Wukong Prime Access: Cloud Walker Bundle are personalized for your account, it cannot be purchased as a gift.

I never traded on Steam but don't you have to buy something as a gift to trade it later?

4 hours ago, Nibelhim said:

According to the logic the first support response I got.... everyone with rubedo and phased skins should be banned... I'm trying to clarify this since I dont think the support person actually read the post before giving an automated response.

And that's why you came to the forum which isn't related to support in the slightest? Great idea.

There are no steam gifts anymore so ur cant just trade a pack for keys directly. But there is no some broken terms about steam using and if u can find a safe way to trade - why not. 

With regards, ur professional cs go trader 😄

This would be using the steam trade system to make it a tradable item right? dont see how that would violate the ToS if DE allowed Steam to even make those items tradable for a while now.

Edit: quick question Warframe has been on steam for years right? I wasn't here for beta/early access period.

Edited by (XB1)Dex Xean

3 hours ago, punish_me said:

There are no steam gifts anymore so ur cant just trade a pack for keys directly. But there is no some broken terms about steam using and if u can find a safe way to trade - why not. 

With regards, ur professional cs go trader 😄

They removed steam gifts for warframe?

Havnt bought a pack yet but was wondering about buying 2 packs. One for myself and one for a friend to give at a later date. If no packs or gifts are available....

6 hours ago, Nibelhim said:

They removed steam gifts for warframe?

You cant put any kind of gift to your inventory in steam to trade it later directly for keys with steam trading system. 

But you still can gift pack to your friend. And your friend still can gift you keys. But not at the same moment 🙂