Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nice Dark Sector Callback DE (Zealoid/Stinger)

SilentMobius

Despite a rather lackluster Nightwave, this new infested has given me new hope for the Infested as a faction, I was scared DE was going to essentially forget about the Infested and turn the Sentient into the new Infested. Please continue making new Infested units.

26 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Nope. Retconned.

Well I mean DE have always avoided connecting them other that Dark Sector and Warframe both originating from their original ideas for a Hard Sci-Fi single player game.

Steve said this waaaaay back in devstream 11 circa 2013:

Absolutely yeah, there are connections. For the people who've played Dark Sector who like it and, y'know, yes. The answer to most of your questions is there is absolutly a relation, because we tried to make a hard-core sci-fi game and couldn't get it published and we toned it all down and set it on earth and made it a CIA agent and all these other compromises but a lot of those ideas that kinda leaked in are now what we're going back to. We're going back to the well (heh), and that's pure essence of bizarre awsome warframe-ness... No, Hayden is not the Stalker

That inspiration can pull in as much stuff from Dark Sector as it likes into the Warframe canon (Glave Skin, Excalibur Proto Skin, Nemesis Nyx, Zealoid) But it's always a mistake to assume a full canon relationship.

Hell, the Arlo/Kenga plot is pretty much an updated version of the Mezner plot from Dark Sector.

Edited by SilentMobius
  • Like 1

Yeah, retconned is different from canon.

Retconned means, it existed once as a piece of infomation or lore to the story or world, but has since been overridden by the same work.

Dark Sector was never canon to Warframe, merely existing as a spiritual successor. This means some elements, aspects or other such non-importances may transfer over, but we cannot use those as proof to claim that it was all canon.

As Dark Souls was a spiritual successor to Demon Souls, taking much of its mechanics, atmosphere and playstyles amongst other things,  but it does not mean the story or world of Demon Souls is the same to Dark Souls, same as is the case here.

By all means, I'm not saying you cannot have headcanons about something such as, Hayden tenno being the first tenno, or in my case, thinking the person in the Duviri paradox was going to be a re-written Warframe version of Hayden, but what you've got to remember about headcanons is they are not real, they are speculative and either have very limited infomation supporting, or none at all. And as a result, it is subject at any moment to be made impossible due to changing elements of that work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Despite a rather lackluster Nightwave, this new infested has given me new hope for the Infested as a faction, I was scared DE was going to essentially forget about the Infested and turn the Sentient into the new Infested. Please continue making new Infested units.

What I'm kind of hoping for is a random traits feature for infested. So in one mission Chargers would have the Undying Flyer's reformation ability while Ancients would have a Venin mutation that lets them shoot spines at range, while in the next said traits could be swapped, or assigned to completely different infested bioforms. Or even have it randomised on an individual level, so you never know if that Leaper is going to shoot spines at you, perform an invulnerable charge, or just refuse to stay dead.

Infested are generally seen as the easiest faction (Tied with the Corpus in some cases), so I'd like something like that to keep me on my toes.

3 hours ago, Renegade343 said:

Do the Game Freak thing. Multiverse theory.

Possible. Maybe for the Duviri Paradox?

3 hours ago, Corvid said:

Not even retconned. The connections were always tenuous at best. IIRC the devs always treated the Dark Sector references as just that: References.

Fair enough. I just read somewhere that it was originally hinted to be set in the same universe, only for the devs to definitively dump the idea later.