Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baruuk: no place for the reluctant ?

4 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Except my Baruuk can hit for over 2 million damage with his #4 Sooooo, not sure how it's damage sucks.

Lemme guess. With heavy attacks. Exalted weapons shouldn’t have to rely on heavy attacks to perform. They already have a cost to using them they don’t need another cost to actually do something .

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Lemme guess. With heavy attacks. Exalted weapons shouldn’t rely on heavy attacks to perform. They already ha e a cost to using them they don’t need another cost to actually do something .

Yup, but even then the damage he did wasn't weak. I think people just did piss poor jobs of modding his weapon.

• Like 2

Just give Baruuk a new passive bonus when not equipping weapon(s). 

There are so many ways to implement this, the most straightforward way would be Baruuk gets a stacking bonus per empty weapon slot. Bonus could be buff to 

1. restraint loss rate
  2. elude efficiency/range
  3. lull speed/duration
  4. disarm dagger number/chance not to consume dagger

Doesn't need to buff all of the above, maybe just pick one or a few from the list. Maybe even allow Baruuk to not equip any weapon at all for maximum bonus. With bonus like this, it will encourage the players not to bring godlike fire powers to every mission and make Baruuk seems just as bloodthirsty as all the other frames we have.

• Like 2

Baruuk is fine. It's just for the most part I end up feeling like Restraint is more of an Anti-Fun mechanic than anything else and often wish I could throw hands with just my energy. I already took the Corpus/Grineer/Infested's crap for so many years, those pacifist days are totally gone for good. It's literally the only reason I stopped playing him when I initially did a lot till tiring of it. (4 forma + 5 on his weapon and an eidolon lens)

Edited by Wolfdoggie
  • Like 1

IDK why are we having this discussion at all. 
This is not a role playing game.
You are looking for "pacifict" solutions in co-op looter shooter game. Really?
You are aware that those are only sprites and models, parts of computer simulation, you are not actually killing anyone, right? 
It's like in cephalon Simaris sanctuary onslaught simulation, but secretly, whole game is one. Shh don't tell this to anyone, you're in matrix, Neo.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Yup, but even then the damage he did wasn't weak. I think people just did piss poor jobs of modding his weapon.

I’ve put a lot of effort and forma into Baruuk to get the best possible performance out of Serene Storm. While is does ok damage it’s dwarfed by Exalted blade. And due to its stats it starts falling off hard at around level 80 armored enemies.

It is technically the second best exalted melee atm but that’s literally only because Melee 3.0 phase 2 nerfed tf out of Hysteria and Iron Staff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Baruuk feels like a concept that was made up way way way way back in WFs history. Before the tenno were the tenno. When the idea of frames may have been that they had more personality. But with how the story of warframe has turned out, I'm not really sure an actual pacifist frame or a frame based on a pacifist host would ever be a thing for the Orokin. Since their design intent was to annihilate sentients. So possibly Baruuk was based on mysterious warrior monks and sent onto the field of battle as a supporting unit for the other frames and his "deadly" fists were used when most needed.

Which kinda also makes the restraint mechanic kinda odd to say the least, since it wouldnt really be a thing for any frame beyond the first Baruuk ever created because the tenno would control such things later since they'd be the person at the wheel and not the initial host.

Or, the headcanon I went for is that Warframe design went through three distinctive eras on the Orokin end of things. The first era is stuff like Excalibur, Frost, ect. Simplistic designs meant to turn the tide of the war. The second era began with Saryn, and was more of an era of "ok, what else can these things do besides slaughtering Sentients", with the Warframes of this ear being intended for purposes within the empire alongside squashing Sentients(ie Saryn being an anti-Infested can of Raid on legs, Vauban being a watchdog to keep the mercantile caste in check, ect.). The third phase, from which Baruuk hails from, was more of an era of artistic indulgence, with frames being designed around the idea of looking/performing in weird ways while still functioning as Warframes. Stuff like Garuda, Baruuk, Gauss, ect.

Edited by Kerberos-3

10 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Unfortunately his 4 sucks for damage. 

51 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

While is does ok damage it’s dwarfed by Exalted blade. And due to its stats it starts falling off hard at around level 80 armored enemies.

It is technically the second best exalted melee atm but that’s literally only because Melee 3.0 phase 2 nerfed tf out of Hysteria and Iron Staff.

Got lost in your own hyperbole bud...

And pretty much everything is dwarfed by Exalted Blade truth told.

It's an insanely powerful ability with great range backed up by a some fantastic movement and CC. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Aldain said:

I feel the pain of the Wukong fans.

Paging @DeMonkey!

Seriously though and for what it is, I find Iron Staff to be an effective damage dealer with some nice reach. Not Exalted Blade territory kind of damage mind you, but that ability is kind of OP anyway.

10 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Unfortunately his 4 sucks for damage.

My crit build suggests otherwise.

I think the "Reluctant Warrior" trope fits Baruuk far more accurately. However, even that's a bit problematic...reluctance and pacifism are attitudes and mindsets that people have towards fighting enemies; That's more to do how a person chooses to behave rather than the abilities and tools they have.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Paging @DeMonkey!

It's why I drink so much nowadays (it's not).

The damage on the staff is certainly viable enough. I'm not going to argue otherwise, just that DE have royally messed Wukong around now since it has absolutely nothing to justify it's borderline extortionate cost.

And I don't know what this conversation is about and reading is hard, but here I am, hello everyone.

• Like 3

I'd just like to point out that Desert Wind can hit a much larger number of enemies simultaneously than Exalted Blade, and IIRC it attacks much quicker. So while its single-target damage is lower, it's much better with crowds.

Also, Shattering Impact means it's a very potent armour-stripper. And this is all completely disregarding its defensive properties (you get a considerable armour boost as long as it's active, and any projectiles caught in the waves will be reflected).

Edited by Corvid

2 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

My crit build suggests otherwise.

Yeah and so has every other person who’s tried to defend Serene Storm’s build. Oh wait they haven’t. Because I’ve seen builds that show potential, but they’re also five forma, including an Umbral forma, and dual R3 arcane builds. If Serene Storm was actually good it wouldn’t need all those things to make it perform well. But yeah no let’s just ignore all that because neglecting a frames issues is totally how the game gets improved.

like just come on dude. I like Baruuk, but this blind belief that his 4 is a good exalted weapon is honestly starting to make me hate his fans.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I wouldn’t say he sucks. His 2 is great CC, he’s an extremely sturdy tank with his 3 and passive, his one...exists. His 4 just really sucks and that’s honestly the big thing that’s bringing public opinion of him down.

He's a really fun frame it's just his 4 needs a status chance boost or damage or crit damage increase

21 minutes ago, (XB1)Skiller115 said:

He's a really fun frame it's just his 4 needs a status chance boost or damage or crit damage increase

It needs

to not be only impact damage (serious wtf DE)

higher attack speed

higher status chance

the removal of the ragdolling Effect

It basically needs to be powerful enough to justify being restricted by the restraint meter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Iron staff gave Exalted blade a run for its money before it got nerfed.

That's my understanding as well.

That said, Wukong is super tanky and enjoys a whole extra Wukong swinging a whole extra Iron Staff around now...and it still puts out tons of damage.

Seems legit when comparing their individual TTL's (that's just me though, I like tanky and effective and don't care that much about speed)

21 hours ago, blimsoon said:

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with Baruuk design concept. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Warframe does not support non-lethal playstyle at the moment, 99% of the game content requires bloodshed to unlock it.
  • There is no option such as "knock enemy unconscious" in this game.
  • Shaolin monks never trained to use lethal weapon or ready to kill when out of restraints.
  • "Reluctant  Warrior" dressed in a priest robe is like... a wolf wearing sheep skin. I don't feel noble at all. Just another killing machine with countdown timer.
  • Most Baruuk users are building toward his 4 and rip everything to shreds. Why even bother with the "Pacifist Concept / Priest Cosplay" at all ?
  • WF barely rewards player being pacifist. More like the opposite.
  • As for warframes which can complete missions(spy, mobile def. , rescue...) without bloodshed, my Limbo and Ivara are far more useful than Baruuk. 
  • As for warframes which committing quick massacre, I have no place for "Pacifist/Reluctant Frame" in my list, I'll go straight to full offensive without restraints.

Maybe there is no point in using this "reluctant/pacifist" frame at all in a game that never really cares about non-lethal playstyle.

Some of the subtext in Baruuk's design requires a little historical knowledge or the in-jokes DE uses in their Devstreams

"Baruuk" is a Hebrew word meaning "blessed", and his armor is shaped like a Jewish avnet sash. His signature weapon Cobra and Cane are named after a miracle of Moses in the book of Exodus. To make a long story short, the Jews have a very complicated history with war and violence, such as the times they would haul out the stone tablets reading "Thou shalt not murder" out in the middle of a battlefield

Baruuk's "Restraint" meter is called the "edgy" meter within the devstreams (and AFAIK is still called that in the game code), the joke being Baruuk is an edgy anime protagonist who broods about having to fight but is teh bestest fighter evar once he actually pulls his sword out. This is also why his 1 lets you dodge bullets like a souped-up Vegeta

Baruuk's ultimate weapon might be able to deal tons of damage, but it's a blunt instrument weapon. This is a reference to the "technical pacifist" stereotype that religious warriors don't carry swords so that they won't spill blood, but thanks to a technicality are allowed to use hammers/clubs/maces to smack people with instead (a stereotype started by Bishop Odo of Bayeux, and popularized by clerics in Dungeons and Dragons)

Suffice to say, Baruuk is not a pacifist in the modern sense such as Mahatma Gandhi. He is a soldier just like the rest of the Tenno, as much as he pines for a world where killing is no longer necessary.

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Sadly, I expected a priest frame who have unique style of extreme non-lethal gameplay. This is just another average soldier wearing a priest robe that I rarely seen anyone using it.

21 hours ago, blimsoon said:

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with Baruuk design concept. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Warframe does not support non-lethal playstyle at the moment, 99% of the game content requires bloodshed to unlock it.
  • There is no option such as "knock enemy unconscious" in this game.
  • Shaolin monks never trained to use lethal weapon or ready to kill when out of restraints.
  • "Reluctant  Warrior" dressed in a priest robe is like... a wolf wearing sheep skin. I don't feel noble at all. Just another killing machine with countdown timer.
  • Most Baruuk users are building toward his 4 and rip everything to shreds. Why even bother with the "Pacifist Concept / Priest Cosplay" at all ?
  • WF barely rewards player being pacifist. More like the opposite.
  • As for warframes which can complete missions(spy, mobile def. , rescue...) without bloodshed, my Limbo and Ivara are far more useful than Baruuk. 
  • As for warframes which committing quick massacre, I have no place for "Pacifist/Reluctant Frame" in my list, I'll go straight to full offensive without restraints.

Maybe there is no point in using this "reluctant/pacifist" frame at all in a game that never really cares about non-lethal playstyle.

Baruuk exists because DE is running out of ideas. Not easy coming up with truly new Warframe ideas. I personally think they should stop making new frames and focus on new tilesets, missions and enemies. You can only have so many original frames before you start overlapping in abilities and function.

Edited by RunningChaos