Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The steel path is another "island"

DemonStrikerX

TLDR: Steel path is not rewarding and it will most likely be forgotten once you complete it and if you do complete it because the rewards are the same as not being present. 

So I have played a bit of the steel path and I firstly dont like the fact that we have to replay throught the starchart all over again it sure does bring some sort of nostalgia of what we experienced when we first played the game doing the missions for the first time, completing nodes and doing junctions.

However the thing is that we have already experienced these things and the steel path is just slapping levels to these missions we have already played and bring nothing new to it. I personally liked the first showcase of the steel path in the devstream where we could select any mission and choose between the regular one and the increased level one. Locking every planet out again to unlock them again to me is just tedious and boring. Another thing I noticed is that they changed the boosters that were present in the public test cluster. I can understand why the removal of the affinity boost was done but I think the steel path could have been a good casual focus farm if so chose to do so but as I said I can understand its removal because you wont benefit much from an affinity boost in this case but for the resource boost its a shame it was changed because the only reason I would consider playing the steel path after having completed it is because of the kuva survivals which is not dependent on how many enemies you kill but now that its been changed I dont see why anyone would play the steel path other than just because they need a "challenge" or because they have nothing better to do.

As for reward, there are pretty much none, I dont undetstand why DE doesnt understand the concept of scaling rewards with difficulty and why they cant give enticing rewards to players. If a player is going to be playing the steel path that player is most likely going to have a lot of the game done (pretty much the whole normal starchart) so how does one think that orbiter decorations and emotes are considered good rewards and as for the offerings from teshin.... WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE!!! From what I have heard the steel essence ( the resource needed to buy the rewards) are very hard to get, and what do we get for these very hard to earn resources? Relic packs kuva the useless forma and operator cosmetics. Other than those EXCLUSIVE MUST GET teshin armor sets none of the rewards there are worth getting because there are better ways to get them.

So looking into this at its current state the steel path will barely have players playing it and it will be another one of the many things introduced into the game and forgotten once played for the first time.

It will certainly lack longevity for the majority of people. It also seems like it was just sort of slapped out on the side with like two weeks of work because it has no new mechanics or anything, so I'm not so convinced that this is a problem.

22 minutes ago, _Euphoria_ said:

The mode is just there to give people a chance to fight how level enemies without wating 2 hours in an endurance runs. Its not supposed to be more than that

They made it more than that when they added exclusives rewards behind an exclusive currency with an almost non-existent drop rate.

It's just the Star Chart at a higher level... The reason why the rewards aren't super impressive is because it's not supposed to be a major thing.

It's also not an Island, as the rest of the islands in the game have their own economy. Steel Path Does not. Stop freaking out play it or don't, and let other people just enjoy it even if you can't.

4 minutes ago, AegisSiege said:

It's just the Star Chart at a higher level... The reason why the rewards aren't super impressive is because it's not supposed to be a major thing.

It's also not an Island, as the rest of the islands in the game have their own economy. Steel Path Does not. Stop freaking out play it or don't, and let other people just enjoy it even if you can't.

If they're not supposed to be a major thing, then why are they locked behind a currency that almost never drops?

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Hypernaut1:

What is an "Island"? Sounds like just a nebulous buzzword for complaints popularized by some streamers.

You can literally call anything an island if you want to hate on it.

I'd say there are multiple factors that define Content "Islands", and something has to have multiple of those factors at once to become an Island.

The most important gameplay ones are probably these:

• gameplayloop seperated from the rest of the game (meaning the missions are different and seperated from what we usually do)
  • you have to take part in this gameplayloop more or less exclusively and repeat it several times to make meaningful progress
  • modifications of the Environment (new Tiles, conditions), the Enemies (types, resistances, abilities) or our Abilities (usage of Gearwheel/Operator/Mods/Abilities/Weapons/...)

Examples for this are Events like Scarlet Spear/Balor Fomorian/Pyrus Project or Gamemodes like Conclave, even Arbitrations or ESO partially fit this description.

Even more important than the gameplay side of things are the rewards, they are what really make something an Island imo:

• unique ressources you can only/mostly farm there
  • you can spend those ressources only on stuff also related to this part of the game
  • other rewards from rotations/shops can be earned nowhere else in the game

An example for this could be Railjack, since they introduced completly new ressources, and mostly all relevant rewards are tied to Railjack aswell (Reactors, Avionics, ...).

Is Steel Path an Content Island?

I would say: No.

You are in the usual gameplay-loop of doing starchart missions of different types,

you earn the same rewards you usually get (maybe in different quantities) besides a few exclusive ones,

and those rewards have an impact on you and your power everywhere else in the game.

Ps: I wouldnt even say being a Content Island has to be only a negative thing.

Railjack can only offer something new and different from the usual gameplay because it is an Island in terms of gameplay.

This doesnt mean that everything should stay as it is right now, it would be good if Railjack gets connected to the rest of the game.

Yet it's still as advertised, as expected, and as requested.

1 hour ago, DemonStrikerX said:

I dont see why anyone would play the steel path other than just because they need a "challenge" or because they have nothing better to do.

And this is literally the entire reason people wanted it and why it was made. If you don't see the purpose in this then it wasn't for you nor were you part of the group that has been asking for this for years.

3 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

What is an "Island"? Sounds like just a nebulous buzzword for complaints popularized by some streamers.

Alrighty there anti-criticism-chwan

The only reward I was looking for was a way to do solo power leveling without eliminations, currently there is Kappa (Spy) on Sedna, each console gives me 12K if undetected, what does Earth Spy give me with their level adjustment? 12K (from the original 8K) per console, once I find a way to check Sedna Sponge Path spy I may be able to confirm my worst fears, I will be forced onto power leveling sessions with other people despite this "hard mode" existing.

4 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

An Island is a piece of content that is mostly self-contained and doesn't add up to the other pieces of content, for example Railjack whose main function is to farm for materials to improve the railjack and nothing else, it dosn't even provide a good alternative to Archwing farming.

5 hours ago, _Euphoria_ said:

The mode is just there to give people a chance to fight high level enemies without wating 2 hours in an endurance runs. Its not supposed to be more than that

The problem is it can really be more than just a timeskip for levels

5 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

VanFanel1980mx explained it pretty well but just cause you dont understand what something means doesnt mean its a new term created just to throw hate out there

3 hours ago, HeartPurity said:

I hope there is more kuva/ better scaling in kuva survival hardmode so that there is a reason to redo those missions. 

Kuva survivals were the only reason why I would have considered doing the steel path but even that is pointless now since the boosters have changed

5 hours ago, OvisCaedo said:

It will certainly lack longevity for the majority of people. It also seems like it was just sort of slapped out on the side with like two weeks of work because it has no new mechanics or anything, so I'm not so convinced that this is a problem.

I think reworking the drop tables would be a good start 

4 hours ago, HeartPurity said:

I hope there is more kuva/ better scaling in kuva survival hardmode so that there is a reason to redo those missions. 

Don't hope that, because there is no scaling rewards. If your addiction to kuva is your reason to do this, you'll be utterly dissapointed.

1 hour ago, DemonStrikerX said:

I think reworking the drop tables would be a good start 

That much I certainly won't disagree with. I don't think the mode necessarily needs anything crazy or unique, but there's a lot of room to make things better than normal without being absurdly so. Culling some really low level drops out, maybe partially upgraded relics or something. 100 levels doesn't REALLY add much of a boost to affinity either, but it seems the mode's not really... meant for leveling (though this makes them including increased affinity as one of the intended bonuses a little flaky).  Steel essence drop rate versus uh... the 15 it costs for a relic pack, also seems very undertuned as a start.

6 hours ago, OniDax said:

They made it more than that when they added exclusives rewards behind an exclusive currency with an almost non-existent drop rate.

I mean, then ask yourself this. Do you need them or do you want them?

7 hours ago, DemonStrikerX said:

Steel path is not rewarding

As for reward, there are pretty much none

I dont undetstand why DE doesnt understand the concept of scaling rewards with difficulty and why they cant give enticing rewards to players

Define "reward" and "scaling reward"

Also, they said it's meant for those who want to test their gears against higher level enemies without waiting an hour in endless mission for that

Archived