The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

Before I start, I'm pretty sure there'll already be a thread about this somewhere but frankly I don't care.

Now... I just finished reading the devstream overview, and I noticed that cross-save is being looked into. While I am excited, I'm also extremely nervous, for reasons likely shared by hundreds of Warframe players. Simply put, I only obtained a PC in July of 2017. Up until that point, I was console only for lack of money. During that time, I downloaded Warframe and got to Mastery 19. However, whether it be DE or Sony/Microsoft's fault, like many others, I had to start anew. If cross-save was implemented, I'd be extremely put off, to say the least, for obvious reasons I'll state anyway. If new players were given the option to carry their saves between platforms, but not 3+ year "veterans" of the game? (I say "veteran" as in "I've played for 3+ years but still can't mod for crap") I'm sure you see my point. However, I would understand if Rivens were not carried over, being... well, Rivens. Carrying them over would have a drastic effect on the Warframe trade economy, and given that Anasa sculptures were worthless when I was on PS4 but are actually a somewhat profitable item on PC? I don't even want to know how rivens would affect things. And I wouldn't blame them if they prevented account merging if it was a copied/transferred PC account, though I can understand some people would be upset.

However... if DE WERE to introduce account merging, it's unlikely I'd do it for a while. Simply put, things are unrefined when they come out. Look at any major console release ever. I trust DE, but I'd rather not risk losing both my accounts entirely. That's just my own view on it, though.

Either way, that's just my view. What're yours?

Cross save could work, it's just that some obvious things are not gonna transfer between accounts, namely plat and Tennogen. Rivens might also transfer over, but you'll likely share your riven storage across all accounts. And why wouldn't current players be allowed Crossave? DE would probably just make you choose which one you want to be your "main" and just merge everything they can.

7 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Crossplay? Years if ever.

Crosssave? DE seems to be taking it pretty seriously, but it will still probably be a year at minimum.

they just talked about it seriously on dev stream today.  a year is a generous timeline.  most things announced with a year timeline take 3-5 years.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb (PS4)Ara-Noi-charie:

Whats your guys comment on the new allowed access of crossplatform play that sony announced? (They opened crossplay for all developers)

How soon can we expect to see xbox,ps4 and pc players together?

Unless all platforms have the same version, it will work. But thanks to Sony and Nintendo reviewing code, it lags behind the PC version.

I guess that's why main updates on the PC are delayed, until Sony and Nintendo give a green light, so they all sync on the same day.

A single hotfix can break the client versions across all platforms, if a hotfix changes an important game mechanic.

11 hours ago, Hawkstormz said:

its not a rumor steve just confirmed again that cross save is something they are thinking about

Exactly, they are thinking it.
I know only about the Devstream when Steve said they would like to look into it.
He said cross progress is on their radar, and that TO SOME EXTEND it's a certainty. No info to what extend. And he is only saying that as a programer. I'm sure he doesn't handle finances or legal stuff. And that is something that plays a big role for cross progress.
So as I initially stated: they are far from having it on their to-do-list.

And before cross-progress becomes a thing, they have to think about the next gen consoles. How will they handle all that. Because the nex consoles are way more important to figure out then a possible cross-progress.

Oh, look. This troll is here to add nothing to yet another conversation that has nothing to do with him and that he knows nothing about. 🙄

As for the topic itself...

Given how much I spent on my PS4 acct, I would like to be able to transfer all that stuff to my PC account. I certainly paid for enough slots, boosters, and the rest, lol.

In light of the fact that Cross-saves were discussed in yesterday's dev-stream can anyone clarify the terminology for me please?

That's my understanding, and please correct me if Im wrong-

Cross-Save - Transfering data from PC to Consoles and vice versa

Cross-Progress - Freely roam between platforms (PC/Console/Switch/whatever) at will, having access to the same account with the same progress on all consoles simultaneously

Cross-Play - PC Players and Console players being able to play on the same server at the same time together

Because Steve said, and please, again, Correct me if Im wrong, since I'm making this post just to clarify for myself if my understanding is correct-

They're looking at Cross-save and how to approach it from a programming perspective (Meaning it has yet to reach the financial and legal barriers), And Im not sure where that leaves Cross-Progress,

While Cross-Play is something that isn't looked at and prob won't be for the near future (As with all games really, I don't know why would that be a thing)

3 hours ago, NoSpax said:

Unless all platforms have the same version, it will work. But thanks to Sony and Nintendo reviewing code, it lags behind the PC version.

I guess that's why main updates on the PC are delayed, until Sony and Nintendo give a green light, so they all sync on the same day.

A single hotfix can break the client versions across all platforms, if a hotfix changes an important game mechanic.

PC updates don't have anything to do with console updates, PC can get updated months before consoles ever get a release date. This isn't Rockstar here where all updates happen on the same day. Most MMO's always release PC updates way before console release.

32 minutes ago, (PS4)SrebX said:

Cross-Save - Transfering data from PC to Consoles and vice versa

Cross-Progress - Freely roam between platforms (PC/Console/Switch/whatever) at will, having access to the same account with the same progress on all consoles simultaneously

These two things are, basically, the same. Just think about it for a sec. So technically you got it right, but you overthought it a little bit.

32 minutes ago, (PS4)SrebX said:

Cross-Play - PC Players and Console players being able to play on the same server at the same time together

Exactly.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)SrebX said:

While Cross-Play is something that isn't looked at and prob won't be for the near future (As with all games really, I don't know why would that be a thing)

Actually there are a lot of games out there with cross-play.
For example Fortnite is one of these games. Interestingly enough, people aren't all that happy about the matchmaking, because on paper Mouse and Kayboard are superior to Controllers, which leaves console players at an disadvantage.
The actuall problem with cross-play are different updates. If PC was to get a new Warframe, and this new Warframe got matched with a console player, chances are the game from the console player would crash.
And as there are many bugs in Warframe, and DE uses PC as a testing-ground, it would be a bad idea to synch up PC and console updates.
While PC players have to suffer from some bugs, DE can fix them quickly. If all platforms had updates at the same time, we all had to live with bugs for way longer.
For example, when Fortuna launched, the elevator from Vallis back to Fortuna didn't work. So you had to quit, losing all the progress made. DE fixed that in a matter of days. If they had to wait for consoles, they fix would have taken them 1 or 2 weeks, maybe even longer. 
And let's be real here, that's something nobody wants.

16 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

And as there are many bugs in Warframe, and DE uses PC as a testing-ground, it would be a bad idea to synch up PC and console updates

When they offered the transfer from PC to switch, the Mask of the Revenant Update was still on the Switch while Fortuna was out on PC already and the resources and everything from Fortuna transfered too to the Switch, maybe they can just change it to hide the progress till it unlocks

3 hours ago, xMarvin732 said:

When they offered the transfer from PC to switch, the Mask of the Revenant Update was still on the Switch while Fortuna was out on PC already and the resources and everything from Fortuna transfered too to the Switch, maybe they can just change it to hide the progress till it unlocks

You didn't read my post, did you?
The part you quoted was about cross-PLAY. So a PC-player playing together with a PS4-player in the same mission. How is DE supposed to hide new stuff in this scenerio? If the PC player uses a new Warframe that isn't on PS4 yet, will the PS4 player just see an placeholder-Excalibur?
A transfer from one platform to another isn't cross-play. It's more like cross-progress if you want to put it like that. But even though these transfers are only from one platform to another, there are still a lot of issues. Often items got lost. People had to contact support and support could help them. Still, the transfers were far from perfection. This means, before cross-progress can get added, DE has to work out the kinks from a programing point of view. And after that DE has to figure out if console companies are on board. How they will handle things like platinum, tennogen, console exclusive skins. They also have to figure out the financial aspects. What if it turns out there are a lot of issues, and support gets flooded with even more tickets? Support would shut down. Not the best thing to happen. Or even if they find a way to program it, would they have to take a long time off from making updates? That's not good either.

1 hour ago, WhiteMarker said:

The part you quoted was about cross-PLAY. So a PC-player playing together with a PS4-player in the same mission. How is DE supposed to hide new stuff in this scenerio? If the PC player uses a new Warframe that isn't on PS4 yet, will the PS4 player just see an placeholder-Excalibur?
A transfer from one platform to another isn't cross-play. It's more like cross-progress if you want to put it like that. But even though these transfers are only from one platform to another, there are still a lot of issues. Often items got lost. People had to contact support and support could help them. Still, the transfers were far from perfection. This means, before cross-progress can get added, DE has to work out the kinks from a programing point of view. And after that DE has to figure out if console companies are on board. How they will handle things like platinum, tennogen, console exclusive skins. They also have to figure out the financial aspects. What if it turns out there are a lot of issues, and support gets flooded with even more tickets? Support would shut down. Not the best thing to happen. Or even if they find a way to program it, would they have to take a long time off from making updates? That's not good either.

Not that Im a big expert on the subject, but nowadays updates are technically uploaded to the game before theyr'e released, and just don't get activated until release date, right? That's what makes Datamining possible

Meaning the builds can be the same on all platforms without the activating the all of the content on that said build, yet the game would still know how to register it

11 minutes ago, (PS4)SrebX said:

Not that Im a big expert on the subject, but nowadays updates are technically uploaded to the game before theyr'e released, and just don't get activated until release date, right? That's what makes Datamining possible

Meaning the builds can be the same on all platforms without the activating the all of the content on that said build, yet the game would still know how to register it

You can put a few things, a few files, in. That's true. But in order to have something properly working ingame, for example a new weapon, you need more than just, for example, the skin-file of said weapon. You need a whole update of the game for that. And if you have that update, why wouldn't you make it available to everyone?
You logic makes little sence.
And even if it worked like you described, there is still the issue with the cert process. Before consoles get an update, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have to check said update, so that it doesn't brick their console, or does something else to it. This process takes some time. Time in which DE can't fix a bug right away.
Just read my second post in this thread (Small advice, try to read all the posts in one thread to know what people talk about)
I explained there, that after Fortuna's release the elevator back down to Fortuna didn't work. People couldn't return to Fortuna. They lost their progress that they made. DE was able to fix that problem quickly. Now imagine we all had to wait for the console's companies to abrove of the fixing update. We all couldn't have played the Vallis for 1 week, maybe 2 weeks.
Do you think that would be good for Warframe? People already complain about content droughts. Now imagine DE gave us content, but we couldn't play it for another fortnight. I'm sure, people would love that. (yes, this last sentence was irony)

11 hours ago, FrostDragoon said:

Oh, look. This troll is here to add nothing to yet another conversation that has nothing to do with him and that he knows nothing about. 🙄

As for the topic itself...

Given how much I spent on my PS4 acct, I would like to be able to transfer all that stuff to my PC account. I certainly paid for enough slots, boosters, and the rest, lol.

This is literally my exact same concern. I been playing on my PS4 for years and I’m also in the same boat I would say that I’m a veteran in terms of that I put in a good amount of time but I also can’t mod for sh*t either and I don’t really care for MR. But recently I’ve been playing on my switch just because I’ve been at school and I’ve spent money on both but certainly more on PS4 but I really don’t wanna lose my hard earned stuff on either so I think that account merges would be best. Where u keep things like relics, and farmed parts, but probably keep the plat on the higher account maybe? But I imagine that Rivens probably won’t cross over.

On 2019-06-06 at 1:43 PM, (NSW)death2juliet said:

Doesnt hurt any company it benefits all of them to allow us to play at home or on the go..

Actually, cross save would hurt individual companies. If players have a preference of which store they buy stuff from, every other platform loses sales. It’s possible that all revenue could be pooled and each company takes their share of revenue based player count, but that seems like a legal and accounting nightmare to put together.

9 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

These two things are, basically, the same. Just think about it for a sec. So technically you got it right, but you overthought it a little bit.

Cross Save and Cross Progress could be defined as different, though, if we ever see it implemented.

Cross save implies a more limited version of sharing between two platforms, like the account transferring during the first few months of each console release. Not everything transferred over.

Cross progress, to me at least, implies that no matter what platform I’m on, the game is more or less identical.

It’s a subtle and nit picky distinction, but I think it’s relevant here because of the lag between pc and console as well as things like the 4 different trading economies that exist and other complicated things about Warframe.

20 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

I was talking in my answer about cross-SAVE/PROGRESS not about cross play.

In my opinion Warframe isnt ready for a cross-play in its current development, its not like other games since Console games need Certs and since Warframe is always with bugs whenever something new releases, Cross-Save in my opinion is currently the only way of how it could go.

1 minute ago, xMarvin732 said:

I was talking in my answer about cross-SAVE/PROGRESS not about cross play.

Fair enough. But you quoted a part of my post that was about cross play. If you wanted to talk about cross-progess/save, you should have said that in the first place. They way you did it, everyone had to assume you are talking about cross-play (Again, because of the part you quoted)
So just make yourself clear the next time. And don't just quote something random from another post.

4 minutes ago, xMarvin732 said:

In my opinion Warframe isnt ready for a cross-play in its current development, its not like other games since Console games need Certs and since Warframe is always with bugs whenever something new releases, Cross-Save in my opinion is currently the only way of how it could go.

Thank you for saying the same thing again, that others and me alread said. Even DE said that already.

Archived