Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

These Necro-mechs creep me out

JackHargreav

9 hours ago, Nesodos said:

None of these theories can explain why they would expose the most obvious weakspot. Thats weird even for Orokin level decadence and considering the level of importance of the operation on Deimos, doesn't make sense at all.

Heavy use of shields (and other magi-tech type science fiction) means that it's only a weakspot if the enemy lives long enough to breach the shields.  Mass Effect did the same thing - the excuse for why Shepard could run around in non-vacuum combat areas without a helmet half the time was that they had magic shields that could stop a point blank bullet.  (They even flat out *did* that in one of the cutscenes - a civilian scientist was hiding from bad guys, heard Shepard coming and jumped out and shot Shepard in the face by mistake.  The bullet sparked off Shepard's combat shield with no harm done.)

And prior to the war with the Sentients it seems like the biggest threats in the Origin System were the occasional space pirate or rogue official.  The Necramechs weren't designed as "sensible" combat troops because they weren't originally *meant* to be frontline war machines.  They were designed to intimidate the hell out of unarmed peasants and overly ambitious petty criminals.  And lets be honest, even with the Warframes the Orokin seem to have initially picked aesthetics over combat efficiency.  The "Primed" Warframes are covered with shiny metal loops, hooks, blades and other pointy bits that seem to be mostly ideal for getting snagged on everything within five meters of where the Prime Warframe happens to be standing.  The greatest enemy of Nekros Prime would be a sheer curtain in a light breeze.  OnO

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Necramechs were the first victims of Nihil's Glassing, since his whole job was turning humans into Cephalons anyways, whose to say the Necramechs weren't made this way, and the victim's skulls implanted into the machine as a cruel joke somehow. Fits not only Nihil but the Orokin pretty damn well, and explains in-universe DE's comment that they have reverted to autonomous precepts and are just berserk sentries.

16 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Heavy use of shields (and other magi-tech type science fiction) means that it's only a weakspot if the enemy lives long enough to breach the shields.  Mass Effect did the same thing - the excuse for why Shepard could run around in non-vacuum combat areas without a helmet half the time was that they had magic shields that could stop a point blank bullet.  (They even flat out *did* that in one of the cutscenes - a civilian scientist was hiding from bad guys, heard Shepard coming and jumped out and shot Shepard in the face by mistake.  The bullet sparked off Shepard's combat shield with no harm done.)

And prior to the war with the Sentients it seems like the biggest threats in the Origin System were the occasional space pirate or rogue official.  The Necramechs weren't designed as "sensible" combat troops because they weren't originally *meant* to be frontline war machines.  They were designed to intimidate the hell out of unarmed peasants and overly ambitious petty criminals.  And lets be honest, even with the Warframes the Orokin seem to have initially picked aesthetics over combat efficiency.  The "Primed" Warframes are covered with shiny metal loops, hooks, blades and other pointy bits that seem to be mostly ideal for getting snagged on everything within five meters of where the Prime Warframe happens to be standing.  The greatest enemy of Nekros Prime would be a sheer curtain in a light breeze.  OnO

We don't even know if the necramechs were meant to be guards. The shown abilities and gear suggest they were just as fit for frontline combat and crowd suppression as for guard duties.
If shields had such a high defensive value and reliability in the lore as you suggest then most of the armor would be meaningless. (this isn't ME after all)
Even the Queens and the kuva guards use a different form of immunity instead of shields.

Its highly unlikely that the research involving the void was known to the broad mass. Its even more unlikely that anyone outside of the high ranked orokin even knew the location of the operation. You don't need a lot of intimidation to scare off people that don't even know you exist.... because they won't even look for you.

Nontheless, its still unlikely that the necramechs are more than machines.

17 hours ago, Corvid said:

They've already confirmed that we'll have personal Necramechs that we can customise and deploy ourselves. The ones found in the map will be either for those who haven't progressed far enough in the game to unlock their own, or for simple variety.

From what I've pieced together from various articles, it seems like the personal Necramechs will be locked behind having Spoiler Mode unlocked, while field-repaired ones will be available to all players. At the very least, DE mentioned that there would be a way to use them in a limited fashion without Spoiler Mode.

erm ... to even control the mech, all player must at least have The War Within completed (to establish the ability to control non-entity golem with skill 5, like with the orokin wyrm in that quest). So they are well pass spoiler mode by that point.

I haven't heard about the personalization of the mech just yet, but if we do not have mods for them, then no doubt it whatever the dps it can dish out wont scale, and before long the saryn in the squad would decimate everything before any tenno even initiate the mech.

The case where the mech have mods actually won't be too bright either, cuz it would be another set of stuff that you need potato and forma for that would end up only be usable on open world map, the same as k-drive

13 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

erm ... to even control the mech, all player must at least have The War Within completed (to establish the ability to control non-entity golem with skill 5, like with the orokin wyrm in that quest). So they are well pass spoiler mode by that point.

Take it up with the devs. Various articles based on interviews with them have stated that players will be able to access them prior to Spoiler Mode.

Quoting from Destructoid:

"They'll also be able to explore it in a Necramech, or what we called it during the presentation, a "Corpse Gundam." These are powerful mechs developed by the Entrati family on Deimos in their fight against the Infested. Digital Extremes says it plans on having the mechs usable on the two other open-world areas as well. Players can access these mechs at any time if they have completed The Second Dream quest. For players who haven't got that far in the questline yet, there will be missions on Deimos that give them temporary access to these mechs. Necramechs are customizable, but they're not on the planet just for your use. Some are still activated and will try to kill you should you cross their path."

14 hours ago, Nesodos said:

We don't even know if the necramechs were meant to be guards. The shown abilities and gear suggest they were just as fit for frontline combat and crowd suppression as for guard duties.
If shields had such a high defensive value and reliability in the lore as you suggest then most of the armor would be meaningless. (this isn't ME after all)
Even the Queens and the kuva guards use a different form of immunity instead of shields.

Its highly unlikely that the research involving the void was known to the broad mass. Its even more unlikely that anyone outside of the high ranked orokin even knew the location of the operation. You don't need a lot of intimidation to scare off people that don't even know you exist.... because they won't even look for you.

Nontheless, its still unlikely that the necramechs are more than machines.

Considering how many things were punishable by death, I wouldn't be surprised if an Orokin version of an "autonomous guard unit" was equipped for lethal force.  "You should not be here.  The punishment for trespass is death."  The Entrati are/were apparently the *highest* rank, since it certainly sounds like their family INVENTED Void Travel and were literally the only people in the universe who know how to keep it working.  They aren't "the broad masses."  They're the eyeball at the top of the Illuminati pyramid.

But whatever, I'm tired of trying to discuss lore in this game.

On 2020-08-08 at 3:55 PM, bad4youLT said:

Nothing strage at all , just another day in 40K uni.. wait , were am I ?

Dude I've been making the WH40k comparison for years. The void is a place where time moves weird and corrupts those that enter as well as there being an entity that resides there. I've always felt they based it on the Warp.

saying that is creepy?  Pfft please hadn't you seen how much gore in this game that we made behind even thou they dusty particles?  Try the RJ little pod and use the scanner to look at the pod that making the tapping noise on the glass.  That is more creepy then anything I mean why did the orokin keep that thing anyway when we could have normal ship sort of like Ordis.

2 hours ago, RedEyedRaven said:

Umm... how's this different from our Warframes? Frankly, what's inside a Warframe is actually a lot more disgusting.

It's different because a straight up skeleton is much closer to real life.

Like we have some infested thingy in the warframe that is not something you could see. But a skeleton is a different story. 

Plus we never see the inside of any frame. Which makes it harder to be scared of them.

1 hour ago, ChaoticEdge said:

saying that is creepy?  Pfft please hadn't you seen how much gore in this game that we made behind even thou they dusty particles?  Try the RJ little pod and use the scanner to look at the pod that making the tapping noise on the glass.  That is more creepy then anything I mean why did the orokin keep that thing anyway when we could have normal ship sort of like Ordis.

Yeah the tapping is more creepier. If De were to spook us and used the tapping in the Orbiter I think I would be a lil bit surprised.

13 hours ago, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

Dude I've been making the WH40k comparison for years. The void is a place where time moves weird and corrupts those that enter as well as there being an entity that resides there. I've always felt they based it on the Warp.

Well they are based on the same scienthological (no not the Cruise/Travolta thing) theory regarding void space. That it is a place where evil dwells, the actual hell and so on, and not just a big emptiness.

1 hour ago, Ikyr0 said:

That's what you're creeped out about? What about the pointy object between their legs?

Not that it matters, but from what I can see of the proportions that is probably the legs of the skeleton.  (Assuming they used the whole body.)  The "golden pinecone" in the middle is just about the right size to be basically a metal cocoon around a person, with the skull showing at the top.  It might be why the skull looks so tiny compared to the hulking mass of the rest of the body.

On 2020-08-08 at 2:18 PM, SneakyErvin said:

Here is one theory regarding Nekramechs.

What if there were actually other "survivors" on the Zariman, void infused adult corpses perfectly fitting to shove into an exo-suit as a mindless soldier? I mean all of deimos seem to be heavily focused on void and infestation research.

I wouldnt be suprised if they just thought "Heck why not? Afterall dead girls cant say no!".

So we’re riding are parents corpse..... I like it.

Archived