Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Enhanced Graphics Engine

[DE]Steve

4 hours ago, PraiseCthulu said:

The new engine seems to have made some existing issues worse than before. For example the issue seen here. Before when bloom was enabled it would show black squares when there was too much to render (eg heavy slam attack particles or multiple vauban vortexes). In the beta engine it no longer shows black squares, instead it turns the entire game into black and white (with the exception of pickups) untill a loading screen has occured.9r3XJ0E.jpg

you must be the only one having that..

i have experienced black squares only near ship containers in the out side world....once or twice in a round..that was it

verify files verify download cache..fixes it

6 hours ago, Morteno said:

I'm getting the feeling that someone is going overboard on "must increase theoretical FPS gain in a few cases" for opening up the door to a marginal fidelity increase and probably massive overuse of dynamic lights - which we won't be able to enjoy in combat, only in after the fact screenshots.

that. very that.

it's that already.

you fly fast in some poe and getting eye cancer from all those dynamic shadows and lights. because on still image it maybe looks cool, but in action clearly no.

what happens when they add rtx ^_^ dem not wanna know.

for such fast paced game it's clearly one big no.

clearly they would never done that if they would play a game instead of just walking around orbiter to check visuals.

whole graphical changes being tested only like that. because if they would play for at least 10 minutes nothing of those changes for last couple months would ever hit the release version.

i wonder should i even care cause that makes me upset, or just stop cause all this not reversible anyway.

On 2020-10-06 at 1:35 PM, [DE]Steve said:

We’re moving into “Next Gen” by phasing out our old rendering engine!

@[DE]Steve Can you please explain how the current 8x Anisotropic Filtering limit is "Next-Gen" when other PC games have had 16x Anisotropic Filtering for over 10 years now?

Also, the Local Reflections (SSR) after the patch look terribly grainy and checkered with noticeable banding artifacts...

23 hours ago, [DE]Steve said:

Toast

I'm running an older Lenovo Thinkpad as my daily driver. I just tried the "beta" of the graphics engine in the options.

I've only tried it in the orbiter so far. My observations:

No real change in appearance for me with my settings (virtually everything set to off or low). I noticed quite a bit more frame stuttering/dropping than what I'm used to while moving around the orbiter. This wasn't just an initial spike when I first switched over but remained a feature while moving around for several minutes. I also noticed quite a bit of screen tearing that was not present for me when using the older engine.

I will try using the new engine in various tilesets and post about my experience here.

It's a beta feature, so performance kinks are to be expected. However, I have not seen any gains on my end from the switch so far, and only potential problems.

5 minutes ago, Pixxel_5 said:

I'm running an older Lenovo Thinkpad as my daily driver. I just tried the "beta" of the graphics engine in the options.

I've only tried it in the orbiter so far. My observations:

No real change in appearance for me with my settings (virtually everything set to off or low). I noticed quite a bit more frame stuttering/dropping than what I'm used to while moving around the orbiter. This wasn't just an initial spike when I first switched over but remained a feature while moving around for several minutes. I also noticed quite a bit of screen tearing that was not present for me when using the older engine.

I will try using the new engine in various tilesets and post about my experience here.

It's a beta feature, so performance kinks are to be expected. However, I have not seen any gains on my end from the switch so far, and only potential problems.

Try using it with contact and character shadows "on" (Shadow Quality can be low. I myself have the same laptop).

The difference is far more potent in open worlds and railjack missions.

Just hopped into all of the open world areas to test and man what a difference, great job. The lighting really pops and everything having a shadow makes the game look stellar. 

Building on this, here are some things that (in my opinion of course) could be added/adjusted to the enhanced mode to really give it some next-gen umph:

1. Add an option to increase the resolution of the new shadows (currently only in the open world). Especially when looking at the self-shadowing from weapons and limbs, you can really see the blockiness/lower resolution of the new shadows on the warframes. The shadows also seems a bit...washed out? Maybe make them a bit darker? Could just be my monitor though.

2. Finally add back in the x16 option for aniso-tropic filtering (pretty pleaaaaase)

3. Replace the current version of motion blur with a newer per-object motion blur (similar to what can be seen in the newer COD games, God Of War, Anthem, etc) or, better yet, add a separate option for per-object motion blur that can be used on top of the current screen based motion blur.

4. The ambient occlusion in the game has always looked a bit funky in terms of how it applies, kind of like a solid grey layer rather than a shadow that gradually fades from dark to light. Maybe clean that up?

5. Run another pass on the TAA so there isn't nearly as much ghosting on particles and transparencies, or add in a higher count version of smaa.

Loving all the progress made!

On 2020-10-07 at 8:34 PM, Hashie1000 said:

you must be the only one having that..

i have experienced black squares only near ship containers in the out side world....once or twice in a round..that was it

verify files verify download cache..fixes it

The issue I've been having precede this update and are still persisting in the classic engine. Verifying game cache has not done anything for it, and I'm sure it's not just me since it had it's own thread already.

This surely dont look promising at all.. Fix Mirage if you change lights.. (toggle/hold to change bonus to either DR% or DMG%). It is easier than to fix the whole light system.. 

Also, I dont like you forcing people out of Direct X older version.. I dont crash at all on old version and now when I try the "newest" I'm always full crashing my computer.. It is nice to see that you care for people with older rigs /s 

On 2020-10-06 at 12:35 PM, [DE]Steve said:

Toast.

Part 2 of my previous comment seen here:

The TLDR: I see no performance gains anywhere, only performance drops.

On the login screen, my Zephyr's Fortuna / Solaris Sigil had a weird blue color, which went away and returned to its proper white when I logged in and she stood up.

Open world areas: There is constant stuttering everytime I move. That is associated with a much more noticable low draw distance, though I don't know if it's causing it. The draw distance / pop in issue is most pronounced on the plains, less so in the Vallis (where there is less noticable detail that pops in) and in the Cambion Drift. Performance is significantly worse in all 3, but it's the Drift with its high complexity terrain geometry and infested outcrops that seems to suffer the most in the new engine. I don't think I ever broke 30 FPS on my machine and had a hard time staying above 20, frequently dipping into 13-17 FPS.

Similarly, I notice a pretty huge performance impact both on initial loading into as well as moving around in hub areas of open worlds. This is the case regardless of which way I enter (from open world or orbiter).

For tilesets, I noticed a good deal more stuttering and frame rate decreases compared to what I'm used to. Corpus tilesets like what is found on Venus or Grineer Asteroid outpost like on Mercury seemed less affected by it, but it was still there and noticable. The void was slightly worse than both of them. To give some solid numbers, I got maybe 30-40 FPS when I'm using to 50-60 on those tilesets.

The Earth tileset saw the biggest performance problems out of the non-open world tilesets I experimented with. This again may have to do with the extra foliage and the like that gets loaded in while moving around.

I haven't tested the corpus ice planet (Europa), kuva fortress, infested planet (Eris), Grineer sealab (Uranus), or Gas City (Jupiter) tilesets. I'll post a summary about them when I get a chance.

I have noticed that the biggest problems I have come from when I'm trying to move around. Sadly that's something I do a lot in Warframe.

I hope these performance losses get addressed. I don't see myself continuing to play the game if my performance decreases drastically like this.

4 hours ago, Pixxel_5 said:

The TLDR: I see no performance gains anywhere, only performance drops.

You are not supposed to see performance gains. This is an "enhanced" graphics engine. Its whole point is the take more resources from your computer for additional graphical quality. For people who have good PC, Warframe does not use all resources available to it. This engine is for those who can run it, not for potato users.

Yes, DE will do optimizations to it such that it runs better, but can not make it run better than the existing classic engine, just as close to it as possible.

If your PC cannot handle the enhanced graphics engine, stick to classic until DE does more patches to it.

However, if your PC is potato, no amount of optimizations will ever help you.

And yes, I am using the same device as you.

On 2020-10-06 at 10:01 PM, Ezychiller said:

please do give something for the low end gamers DE... PLEASE DONT DESTROY US.🥺 everything is so high end now i am playing on the lowest possible settings with windowed 800x600 so that i can get above 20fps

pls.. some of the ninjas who play free do play because they cant afford.

Don't worry. There minimum won't change that much, they'll only add more options for high settings

On 2020-10-07 at 6:39 AM, Kefirno said:

Can't care less about new fancy rendering when everything is overexposed white mess with overblown blinding vfx on top.

The fade in bloom at mission start is def. too much, but other than that I've just dialed back both Brightness and Contrast in in-game settings to 41 and it looks rather good to me. Then again I have a colorimeter and have calibrated the monitor to be as close to sRGB standard as possible on it(edit: on my monitor that is).

12 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

You are not supposed to see performance gains. This is an "enhanced" graphics engine. Its whole point is the take more resources from your computer for additional graphical quality. For people who have good PC, Warframe does not use all resources available to it. This engine is for those who can run it, not for potato users.

Yes, DE will do optimizations to it such that it runs better, but can not make it run better than the existing classic engine, just as close to it as possible.

If your PC cannot handle the enhanced graphics engine, stick to classic until DE does more patches to it.

However, if your PC is potato, no amount of optimizations will ever help you.

And yes, I am using the same device as you.

With deferred rendering, they can actually surpass the forward renderer's performance once they get the optimizations in order. However, the biggest hit will be VRAM as it has to store the entire 'frame' a couple times over in whats called a 'g buffer', which can be expensive memory-wise. Integrated graphics will have a harder time with this update than dedicated graphics.

Archived