Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats the next umbral frame ? am very excited

Dr.Enthu

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

Ok so we are going to bash head about this crap until the end of time, if we disagree this fundamentally about how Warframes work. I agree, we should break off here. Thanks for the debate, I hope you have a nice weekend

And it's ok if we disagree. No hard feelings. Hope you have a good weekend as well.

On 2021-05-14 at 7:13 AM, OniDax said:

That's like saying "Prime" is a rank. It's actually not.

It actually is, since it is a ranking of the Warframe creation timeline. And Umbra isnt named Umbra, it is very likely a rank that plays on the actual word umbra. Or it is Ballas way of saying that the umbra was a dark secret, or possibly that it is very elusive hiding away in the darkest of shadows. We know the orokin love drama and theatrics.

DE obviously don't want to shut all the doors but I find it to be apparent there isn't any plan for more Umbra warframes as of now.

Excalibur Umbra i.e. "THE" Umbra exists in real world because non founders don't ever have a chance of an Excalibur Prime. There is 0 practical reason for other Umbra variant to ever exist and it's clear in the lore that Excalibur Umbra is probably the only Umbra out there because Ballas specifically did it to make an example of him. Once DE makes a second one players will always ask for more and DE apparently don't have the time to make a third line of warframes. It's better for them to not open the can of worms at all.

Maybe there will be Umbra style skins for other warframes but an additional reinforced variant is not likely to happen.

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

It actually is, since it is a ranking of the Warframe creation timeline. And Umbra isnt named Umbra, it is very likely a rank that plays on the actual word umbra. Or it is Ballas way of saying that the umbra was a dark secret, or possibly that it is very elusive hiding away in the darkest of shadows. We know the orokin love drama and theatrics.

IIRC, a while back, DE said in one of their devstreams that the Primes weren't actually called Prime by the Orokin. But that might have been before DE decided that the normal warframes were around at the same time as the Primes.

On 2021-05-14 at 12:49 PM, OniDax said:

And it's ok if we disagree. No hard feelings. Hope you have a good weekend as well.

Dude, you been arguing all this time when I already covered in my post.

Ballas BRAINWASHED Umbra. 
When trying to manipulate someone like that, WHY would you use their REAL name?
It is in the lore. Ballas was deliberately being a bastard and wiping away the Dax's old identity, turning him into a warframe and letting that fester and corrode his mind further.
And when manipulating someone from a position of power you DON'T USE THEIR FIRST NAME! It's too friendly. We know he was a Dax meaning Dax is the suffix of his name. 
His name logically then is NOT Umbra Dax. As Umbra is used as the Suffix. Because again, FORMALITY. 

Listen to how smug Ballas is every time we have one of the Dax interaction scenes with him. That the more his identity fades away the more of a damn git Ballas is.

8 hours ago, GraveSpectre said:

Dude, you been arguing all this time when I already covered in my post.

Ballas BRAINWASHED Umbra. 
When trying to manipulate someone like that, WHY would you use their REAL name?
It is in the lore. Ballas was deliberately being a bastard and wiping away the Dax's old identity, turning him into a warframe and letting that fester and corrode his mind further.
And when manipulating someone from a position of power you DON'T USE THEIR FIRST NAME! It's too friendly. We know he was a Dax meaning Dax is the suffix of his name. 
His name logically then is NOT Umbra Dax. As Umbra is used as the Suffix. Because again, FORMALITY. 

Listen to how smug Ballas is every time we have one of the Dax interaction scenes with him. That the more his identity fades away the more of a damn git Ballas is.

Absolutely nothing in The Sacrifice says that Ballas brainwashed Umbra. There's also nothing that suggests Ballas was being formal with him. Quite the opposite, actually. He's being quite informal with him. And he's doing that because Isaah is there. He even calls Umbra "old friend." Go watch those scenes again. It actually makes more sense that his name is Umbra because, even when he's a warframe, Ballas still treats him like the same person. That's why he left one memory of his intact. It's not about erasing his identity. It's about punishing him eternally for his discovery of Ballas' treason.

1 minute ago, Redfeather75 said:

omg and similar to Excel Umbra, but a little different, the helmnith/necramech Nidus would do something special when you transfer into a necramech. Like transform into something badass and fight alongside you.

Turns into a mini Arquebex Turret lol

On 2021-05-12 at 4:18 PM, vegetosayajin said:

Please let umbra be unique (even if not useful). 
If they make another it will loose it's charm.

I'm with you. I hope they never make another. The story was so intense and epic...

I did read the lore bit on Rhino Prime and to me it did sound, like he too must have had some shred of a soul / memory left within him.
So IF they ever implement another, I'd bet on him and also would prefer an actual story mission, where we can spend a few days in the lab.
But I really so much hope they don't start popping out Umbras like Primes...
We got enough options for builds, I wouldn't want an Umbra just for the sake of variety. Excal is special and we gave him peace.
I like that this frame was lore-bound and had such a great story spun around it. I still remember the first time I played through that mission...
All these revelations that hit.

I was so close to liking Excalibur Umbra cosmetics, the scarf.

At the time it seemingly being the first normal cosmetic item in the game, but of course they had to add spikes to it.

Regular item - pieces cut out of it + spikes = warframe cosmetics.

The mods, sure, yeah why not. I only ever use the umbra mods on Umbra, never having grinded, bought or spent a single umbra forma.

I could maybe see myself kind of using umbra mods but I have a bunch of frames I use and I switch builds regularly. Putting an umbra forma on there, I'd feel obligated to keep using that build.

With regular forma it's still a pain having to re-level and "pay to respec" but umbra forma is just hilarious. What was it, 150 steel essence last time?

Then if you got 5 or 10 or whatever frames you need modded, yeah no thanks.

So with a new Umbra frame my umbra forma might actually get used. 

ps. The 'china exclusive cover-up' story was hilarious reading this thread, never heard that one before.

On 2021-05-05 at 12:18 AM, Dr.Enthu said:

After excalibur umbra what would be the next umbral frame ( maybe the frame for which a prime version doesnt exist like nidus).

"I'm very excited now... oouh, the anticipation.  I always learn so much from a Live Dissection........."  - Tyer Gor?   lol,

It is an interesting question if there are or were . . .    others also.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-05-12 at 10:18 AM, vegetosayajin said:

Please let umbra be unique (even if not useful). 
If they make another it will loose it's charm.

I have an idea. One that will open the possibility for obtaining other Umbral warframes without having them lose their charm. Here it is:

Part 1: Creation

Occasionally, after the Sacrifice quest is completed, a certain tile referred to as an "ancient battleground" may spawn in certyain tilesets. In it, there are 4 or 5 scannable components of a Umbral warframe. Scanning them all grants a vision of what happened here (a scene like the teaser cutscene that plays when you start The Sacrifice), and the blueprint for that particular Umbra warframe.

Like with Excalibur umbra, this new Umbral warframe is crafted from a single blueprint and requires only 60 seconds to craft.

Once it's crafted, you're directed to equip it. At which point it goes beserk and runs off, just like in the Sacrifice quest.

Part 2: Searching

Once that's done, you're directed to go track down the Umbral warframe. Once you find it, you deplete it's shields, stun it with a void blast, and enter the Umbral Warframe's mind via Transference. Doing this grants a snippet of a particular memory from that warframe's past. You then do this 2 or more times, finding out more and more about the memory and what happened in the memory.

Part 3: The Conclusion

After the third time, you go down and face the Umbral warframe as yourself, just like in the penuultimate mission of The Sacrifice. Note that during this mission dying even once before you enter the Umbra Warframe's mind will cause the mission to instantly fail and force you to retry it. 

Once you enter the warframe's mind for the fourth and last time, you're shown a final vision, one that explains why this Umbral Warframe finds it so traumatic. From there, you and the Umbral Warframe face down that trauma together. This is a bossfight where you play as the Umbral Warframe and fight an opponent that's symbolic of the warframe's traumas. Once you beat it, the vision ends, and you've earned the loyalty of the Umbral Warframe. 

Example

Let's use Excalibur Umbra as an example, assuming the Sacrifice quest was reworked to fit the above formula. When you scan Umbra's remains, you get the Sacrifice intro sequence featuring Umbra and Ballas. Then, back on the orbiter, you put Excalibur back together again, and he immediately runs off. 

From there, you're tasked with tracking him downand entering his mind on several occasions, slowly learning that Ballas betrayed him and plans to kill his son, Issah. 

Then, on the 4th and final mission, you delve into Excalibur's mind for the last time, and discover why Excalibur Umbra has retained this memory: Ballas didn't kill Excalibur Umbra's son. He forced Excalibur Umbra too. 

Immediately following that revelation, you're dropped into a bossfight with a memory-based proxy of Ballas. Beat him, and you are snapped back into reality. Congratulations! You have secured Excalibur Umbra's loyalty.

If they don't release one in The New War story questline (assuming it's still coming, been waiting 3 years), a new Umbra that is story related like Excal, I doubt they ever will release one

On 2021-05-19 at 9:44 PM, Surbusken said:

I was so close to liking Excalibur Umbra cosmetics, the scarf.

At the time it seemingly being the first normal cosmetic item in the game, but of course they had to add spikes to it.

Regular item - pieces cut out of it + spikes = warframe cosmetics.

The mods, sure, yeah why not. I only ever use the umbra mods on Umbra, never having grinded, bought or spent a single umbra forma.

I could maybe see myself kind of using umbra mods but I have a bunch of frames I use and I switch builds regularly. Putting an umbra forma on there, I'd feel obligated to keep using that build.

With regular forma it's still a pain having to re-level and "pay to respec" but umbra forma is just hilarious. What was it, 150 steel essence last time?

Then if you got 5 or 10 or whatever frames you need modded, yeah no thanks.

So with a new Umbra frame my umbra forma might actually get used. 

ps. The 'china exclusive cover-up' story was hilarious reading this thread, never heard that one before.

You'd be surprised how many people use umbra mods to min-max builds

Archived