Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What WoW is to FF14, Warframe is to ....... .

nelu_Y3K

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

What WoW is to FF14 Warframe is to...

uh.

Warframe.

Pretty much that.

Warframe has changed so much over the years that it might as well be two different games compared to when it launched at this point.

Now if only DE would follow FF14's example and admit it needs a stat squish because the numbers are out of control (and likely causing bugs similar to FF14's "Over 100% shielding = instant death on next hit" bug).

On 2021-07-15 at 3:03 AM, nelu_Y3K said:

What WoW is to FF14, Warframe is to...

I can't use this analogy since Warframe is on the wrong side.  I like FF14 and am not a fan of WoW, and I also very much like me some Warframe.

But if I switch things around, maybe something like this:

"What WoW is to FF14, Destiny is to Warframe."

On 2021-07-15 at 6:03 AM, nelu_Y3K said:

Let's have sum fun completing the sentence.

Problem is it's nonsense.

I think Warframe does have some influence on the gaming world, but it's really more in the other direction. Games like PSO had a lot of influence on WF, but you don't see that much in the other direction, except maybe as success as a live service. 

WoW was most notable as the mainstream MMORPG. Before that it was more of a niche market, EQ was a pretty big deal at its peak, but nothing like WoW. It's debatable if Blizzard can even make games anymore--Diablo 4 will tell that tale. 

4 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Problem is it's nonsense.

I think Warframe does have some influence on the gaming world, but it's really more in the other direction. Games like PSO had a lot of influence on WF, but you don't see that much in the other direction, except maybe as success as a live service. 

WoW was most notable as the mainstream MMORPG. Before that it was more of a niche market, EQ was a pretty big deal at its peak, but nothing like WoW. It's debatable if Blizzard can even make games anymore--Diablo 4 will tell that tale. 

Blizzard was good at taking ideas that came before and polishing them to perfection, which isn't anything to scoff at, so don't take that as a bad thing, but innovating was never their forte imho.

2 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Blizzard was good at taking ideas that came before and polishing them to perfection, which isn't anything to scoff at, so don't take that as a bad thing, but innovating was never their forte imho.

No, it never was. They've been good at iterating in the past. 

The problem is lately there seems little of this and the old guard that made Blizz what it was is almost entirely gone. It shows. 

Again, D4 will tell the tale. D2R is encouraging so far, but it's a remake not anything new. It still stands on the shoulders of Condor/Blizzard North. 

We'll see in the next couple of years one way or the other. 

i checked this thread out on the day it got posted and it made zero sense.

recently i learned that apparently many wow players migrated to ffxiv, and the migration itself become a thing. i didn't play both games so the news was new to me.

then today i stumbled upon this thread again...

still made zero sense.

last time i checked, there's never a huge numbers of warframe players that migrated anywhere. 
if anything, destiny players migrated to warframe. and that was from when EA still owned it. haven't played bungie's destiny 2, but i heard it's better than EA's.

i do heard that few warframe players who were craving for more challenges made successful move to monster hunter world.
as a hunter who actually came to warframe as a vacation from MHW, i can understand why it's a success. if you're one of those people who keep screaming "moarr challenge!!!" in General Discussion i encourage you to try MHW. and give it some time to grow on you, it's a pretty deep game with many layers of difficulties. 

7 hours ago, Soy77 said:

i do heard that few warframe players who were craving for more challenges made successful move to monster hunter world.
as a hunter who actually came to warframe as a vacation from MHW, i can understand why it's a success. if you're one of those people who keep screaming "moarr challenge!!!" in General Discussion i encourage you to try MHW. and give it some time to grow on you, it's a pretty deep game with many layers of difficulties. 

Amusingly, MHW also got a great deal of the 'Moarr challenge' back in the day as I recall, since at launch it was the easiest and most casual MH game in quite some time. Certainly caused me to move away from the game, and I never got into Iceborne, so I'm not really sure if that changed things for the better. Although I've heard that the new Alatreon and Fatalis are... quite something compared to their Old World originals.

Fortunately, Rise has certainly managed to put the love of hunting back in my heart, and I'd play it more if my Joycons weren't drifting.

19 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Amusingly, MHW also got a great deal of the 'Moarr challenge' back in the day as I recall, since at launch it was the easiest and most casual MH game in quite some time. Certainly caused me to move away from the game, and I never got into Iceborne, so I'm not really sure if that changed things for the better. Although I've heard that the new Alatreon and Fatalis are... quite something compared to their Old World originals.

Fortunately, Rise has certainly managed to put the love of hunting back in my heart, and I'd play it more if my Joycons weren't drifting.

oh sure, mhw is indeed the most casual mh mainline and i remember everybody in mh communities went crazy before and shortly after launch.

until more monsters got introduced -especially the tempereds, and everyone was like "okay we're sorry this is monster hunter all right".
in the end it still demands much more skill than warframe. and although it might disappoint some veteran hunters, shouldn't be surprising that it provides decent challenges for warframe players.
real hunters know to just do solo adre runs, naked runs, or break some world records instead of whining for more challenge in forums anyway *cough*unlikehere*cough*

been hearing good things about rise. but i'm one of those hunters who actually stick with MH through series of weak handhelds and painful claw grips, even the wiiu, ikr. so at the moment i'm just really enjoying my time playing iceborne with decent controller on big tv. probably will pick it up if nintendo finally announce that dam switch pro.

8 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

oh sure, mhw is indeed the most casual mh mainline and i remember everybody in mh communities went crazy before and shortly after launch.

until more monsters got introduced -especially the tempereds, and everyone was like "okay we're sorry this is monster hunter all right".
in the end it still demands much more skill than warframe. and although it might disappoint some veteran hunters, shouldn't be surprising that it provides decent challenges for warframe players.
real hunters know to just do solo adre runs, naked runs, or break some world records instead of whining for more challenge in forums anyway *cough*unlikehere*cough*

been hearing good things about rise. but i'm one of those hunters who actually stick with MH through series of weak handhelds and painful claw grips, even the wiiu, ikr. so at the moment i'm just really enjoying my time playing iceborne with decent controller on big tv. probably will pick it up if nintendo finally announce that dam switch pro.

Rise I think has definitely dethroned World as the 'most casual', though in my opinion it's done so in a more... monster-huntery way. I'm not sure what it is, but something about World just didn't click the same way GU or Rise did.

Then again, maybe I just haven't given it enough of a chance?

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Rise I think has definitely dethroned World as the 'most casual', though in my opinion it's done so in a more... monster-huntery way. I'm not sure what it is, but something about World just didn't click the same way GU or Rise did.

Then again, maybe I just haven't given it enough of a chance?

If you can afford the time and money to do so, i said why not give it another chance.

I agree that Rise looked more like classic mh, then it must've feel like classic mh. World on the other hand, looks nothing like mh, it can be pretty hard to embrace for some.

With how successful World is, then we have Stories, probably mh isn't just going to be as challenging as it was, because now they're catering to a way larger market. But i really can't tell how are they going to move forward... I thought realistic visuals on powerful next gen systems was the direction, but then they come back to nintendo and announced that Rise is direct sequel to World... it's pretty exciting to see, haha

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I think part of the issue of World for me was that everything was bigger for the sake of being bigger...the zones in particular.

Rise, while I haven't played in a long time, felt much more condensed and focused, World to me felt like they actively tried to cram as much as humanly possible into every facet of the game to mixed success.

World to me is a good example of "Too much of a good thing", while Rise leans a bit more on the "Left me wanting more, but satisfied nonetheless".

3 hours ago, Soy77 said:

If you can afford the time and money to do so, i said why not give it another chance.

I agree that Rise looked more like classic mh, then it must've feel like classic mh. World on the other hand, looks nothing like mh, it can be pretty hard to embrace for some.

With how successful World is, then we have Stories, probably mh isn't just going to be as challenging as it was, because now they're catering to a way larger market. But i really can't tell how are they going to move forward... I thought realistic visuals on powerful next gen systems was the direction, but then they come back to nintendo and announced that Rise is direct sequel to World... it's pretty exciting to see, haha

One thing is despite the fact that Rise probably plays the least like a traditional MH game, what with how fast it is, it felt more classic to me. I think it's because, similar to what @Aldain talks about, there was so much stuff in World that wasn't about you fighting the monster. I felt encouraged to spend a lot of time goading the monster into environmental traps or trying to mount in specific places so I could get Grimalkine assistance. I understand these things aren't required, but they're often helpful enough I feel gimped for not using them. Rise puts more emphasis on you vs the monster, even though the 'you' is drastically different thanks to the Wirebug.

WoW : FFXIV

Phantasy Star : Warframe, imho.

They definitely share similarities: customize your loadout, pick a procedurally generated level, get to the end, repeat; balanced gameplay between melee and guns, power fantasy (lore wise), etc. Although PSO2 fares better from a balance perspective.

Curiosly you guys ended up talking about MH, which, back in the days it was considered a PSO clone, lol.

I love MH, been playing it since Freedom 2 on psp and loved World as well... But its battle pacing broke it for me, somehow.

The way the game constantly wants you to take certain actions it's annoying: now use trap, now use op mantles on cooldown and now (with Iceborne) mount the monster and make it crash, now tenderize its body parts... Like, can I attack the monster as I want, please? Can you stop dictating the flow trying to get me to exploit the fight by having a monster constantly under the effect of some stun? 

It was great when you HAD to learn monsters patterns, know which attack/combo to use to squeeze as much damage during whatever opportunity, the best way to dodge certain attacks, the timing, the positioning...

Again, I loved World, but I think the combat favored too much cheesy approaches.

6 hours ago, Loza03 said:

One thing is despite the fact that Rise probably plays the least like a traditional MH game, what with how fast it is, it felt more classic to me. I think it's because, similar to what @Aldain talks about, there was so much stuff in World that wasn't about you fighting the monster. I felt encouraged to spend a lot of time goading the monster into environmental traps or trying to mount in specific places so I could get Grimalkine assistance. I understand these things aren't required, but they're often helpful enough I feel gimped for not using them. Rise puts more emphasis on you vs the monster, even though the 'you' is drastically different thanks to the Wirebug.

You and me, buddy. I guess we all have to live with wirebug now lol

6 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

WoW : FFXIV

Phantasy Star : Warframe, imho.

They definitely share similarities: customize your loadout, pick a procedurally generated level, get to the end, repeat; balanced gameplay between melee and guns, power fantasy (lore wise), etc. Although PSO2 fares better from a balance perspective.

Curiosly you guys ended up talking about MH, which, back in the days it was considered a PSO clone, lol.

I love MH, been playing it since Freedom 2 on psp and loved World as well... But its battle pacing broke it for me, somehow.

The way the game constantly wants you to take certain actions it's annoying: now use trap, now use op mantles on cooldown and now (with Iceborne) mount the monster and make it crash, now tenderize its body parts... Like, can I attack the monster as I want, please? Can you stop dictating the flow trying to get me to exploit the fight by having a monster constantly under the effect of some stun? 

It was great when you HAD to learn monsters patterns, know which attack/combo to use to squeeze as much damage during whatever opportunity, the best way to dodge certain attacks, the timing, the positioning...

Again, I loved World, but I think the combat favored too much cheesy approaches.

But that's what makes the game more challenging than warframe: you have to react accordingly to what's happening on the screen instead of just "aim ignis wraith on general direction of the thing, hold click until it dies" or "just keep mashing E nothing is stopping you".

Anyway i consider the original pso as probably mother of all online games since what else we got back then? Haha 😂 is pso2ng any good? I skipped it because it tanked pretty hard on release and i didn't expect any other game could pull an ffxiv comeback

8 hours ago, Soy77 said:

But that's what makes the game more challenging than warframe: you have to react accordingly to what's happening on the screen instead of just "aim ignis wraith on general direction of the thing, hold click until it dies" or "just keep mashing E nothing is stopping you".

Anyway i consider the original pso as probably mother of all online games since what else we got back then? Haha 😂 is pso2ng any good? I skipped it because it tanked pretty hard on release and i didn't expect any other game could pull an ffxiv comeback

Yes yes, don't get me wrong, I agree. I was comparing World to its past chapters, where there were less cheesy stuff.

But even with all that cheesy stuff, World will always be on a whole another level compared to Warframe, in terms of challenge and engagement, the comparison is almost not fair.

I mean, just about anything is more challenging and/or engaging than Warframe, sadly... 

Regarding pso2ng, I'll pick it up, sooner or later. I don't know if it's gonna hold, but I did play pso2 and had a lot of fun.

17 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

I think you'll like Rise.  They got rid of the dumb mantles and mounting tends to be a once-per-battle thing.  The rest of a fight is pretty much doing whatever you want when you have openings, and there are enough options of what to do in these openings that there's plenty of room for making the choices that feel more in-tune with your flavor.

But that said, even the original Monster Hunter had players who optimized and stunlocked monsters for the full duration of fights, and that possibility surely still exists in Rise.  But in Rise I never feel like there's something I need to do or should do as much as that there's something I want to do (aside from dodging!).

7 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Honestly, I don't mind. I'm biased but I love me some speedy gameplay XD.

I'm of the same mind.

I'll always have a soft spot for Generations Ultimate, but in the realm of Monster Hunter the speed and maneuverability offered by wirebugs is just something that helps so much for some weapons, I actually like using the Lances and Greatsword now because it means I don't need to constantly chase after faster monsters by spamming sheath when they fly halfway across the zone from a lunge attack.

Archived