Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I disagree with [DE]Pablo on something, and other general thoughts I've had kicking around.

Electropuncher

On 2021-07-23 at 8:35 AM, sunderthefirmament said:

I disagree.  The Helminth is enough for frames with one bad ability (Frost, Excalibur, Protea... subjective, I know).  But it doesn't do anything for frames with multiple bad abilities, because at that point you could just play a different frame with better stats/abilities and the same Helminth ability stapled onto it.

When the Helminth first launched I was excited to make Hydroid stronger with "Marked for Death," only to realize I wasn't really playing Hydroid.  I was playing "Marked for Death."  And if that's all I'm doing, I could get better results stapling "Marked for Death" onto a Trinity or Nidus for comboing with their 2.

Hydroid was destroyed in the last damage system change, the corrosive nerf.
the sad is knowing that the current damage system is connected to a lot of equipment but needs a balance review.

4 minutes ago, Famecans said:

Hydroid was destroyed in the last damage system change, the corrosive nerf.
the sad is knowing that the current damage system is connected to a lot of equipment but needs a balance review.

He was dead before then.  Corroding Barrage was never enough to make him relevant.  The power is too slow, too inaccurate, and does no damage.  If you are desperate for armor stripping, better options exist, and now they can exist on any frame, thanks to the Helminth.

Dear OP:

I think a lot of the reason many of the older warframes don't "need" a rework is because the design intent is that they are intended to be phased out of use by the player as they progress.

Take Hydroid as a chief example of someone could use a rework.  He has no place in the game at the meta end at all.  Everything he does is done by someone else better.

That said Hydroid does have a loot ability with augment and that is really hand if you're brand new and are still farming earth, because you're gonna get nekros/khora for a good while.

The same is true of the other frames that are more or less designed to be phased out similar to how weapons are phased out throughout the player's progression.

This is actually a necessity and I sorta agree with it begrudgingly.

Here's why:  In order for every frame to have a niche we need like another 40 game modes added since only 1 frame can be the best at each.  That's a lot of content to develop.  

Additionally as we get more and more frames, coming with unique stuff for them to excel at is harder and harder; much like how some weapons are just phased out, because there's too damned many to give all of them a niche.  The only real way to fix this is a solution I'm kind of against which is warframe rivens and I think that would just F the game entirely and I'd be wary of anyone that thought it was a good idea at this stage of development.

They work for weapons because a 5 dispo weapon may actually have a use where a .5 dispo weapon doesn't (usually as stat sticks, but it's at least something and that's valid).  Until we have a roster of wayyyyy too many frames like we did with weapons (like 100 or so) then rivens don't seem like a good idea for frames.

The only other fix is to trim all redundant weapons and frames and only add new content when there is something new designed for it content wise, and that's basically the death knell of warframe.  If you want content, expect redundant BS and pointless BS reskinned with +1% to win the game stat each time it cycles through.

8 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

He does and I agree, ppl keep saying that ss needs to be apart of shuriken but it doesn`t need to, ss is not even that good coz it only works against one faction.

Shuriken needs to be good on its own and the augment needs to strip enemies defences, teleport has issues that ppl don`t see coz they use its augment. mark 4 D proves that ppl prefer the mechanics of the old bs which is better imo but because ppl are blinded by armour striping and bs dealing high damage they can`t see the issues in a general sense.

This is a valid point too. It doesn't change that SS should have the strip inherently, though. If anything, it should also pop Nully bubbles instantly, scale a number of shurikens with Range, make the homing a bit stronger, and change the augment to allow him to "coat them with poison" to apply toxin procs in addition to the inherent slash.

6 hours ago, FrostDragoon said:

-snip-

The point of an augment is to not only be an option but to change how you use the ability, ss does that but because to the majority say that shuriken on its own is bad ppl use it permanently so for them it removes it being an option, like I said before shuriken needs to be good on it`s own so that ss can be more of an option.

Here is what I would do to improve shuriken.

Spoiler

·       If an enemy is killed in one hit while being unalerted it is considered as a stealth kill.

·       Holding the ability will make both shurikens target the enemy you`re aiming at dealing double slash damage and adds critical damage based on what crit damage mods you have equipped on your melee weapon, also headshots will do more damage.

·       The held version will have increased flight speed.

·       The more health the enemy loses, the slower the enemy moves while bleeding out.

·       When the enemy stops bleeding, it will go back to its normal movement speed.

·       If you hit the same enemy that was affected before, it will go back to the same slow speed and will keep getting slower until it`s lifeless.

·       It has a 1 second combo window. The more you use the ability, the more damage it does, the less energy it takes.

·       The built-up damage multi from spamming it can affect the held version of shuriken.

·       The held version works like the way Nazha`s 2nd ability does. Quick cast, straight path and more damage.

·       The held version can pause the 1 sec combo duration drain indicator so that you have time to get the full damage out of it but the decreased energy won`t carry over to it.

·       Depending on the damage built up from the combo multiplayer will determine the increase of critical damage from the held version, if high enough it can reach red crits.

This combined with ss striping enemy defences makes the augment more of an option and way more useful while shuriken now does more damage, consumes less energy, has utility and can now pick what enemy he wants to kill.

One thing I will say is that if the augment is equipped, the only thing that it will keep is the press and hold part, everything else is deactivated.

7 hours ago, Klokwerkaos said:

I think a lot of the reason many of the older warframes don't "need" a rework is because the design intent is that they are intended to be phased out of use by the player as they progress.

I don't think that's DE's intention.  Where content is clearly supposed to be replaced is when it has MKI in its title, or when variants of it exist.  Yeah, Hydroid is designed to get phased out... and replaced by Hydroid Prime.

7 hours ago, Klokwerkaos said:

Here's why:  In order for every frame to have a niche we need like another 40 game modes added since only 1 frame can be the best at each.  That's a lot of content to develop.  

That's not really what niches have to be in this game though.  Warframes should have a number of strengths so that they can be broadly applied, with varying effectiveness, to all manner of game modes.  My Ivara isn't just useful in spy missions.  She's also great at anything requiring focusing down small groups of enemies, like Grineer RJ.  She's perfect for open world content, and I can also use her for farming, though Khora and Nekros will outpace her there.  I don't think a frame needs to be the clear "best" at something for it to be relevant.  They just need to bring enough to the table that they are not made completely irrelevant by another frame.

One of the problems with Hydroid is that, for a while, his farming augment was the only reason people ever used him.  And now Khora and her farming augment exist, so he's outclassed.  But what else does Hydroid offer?  Hmm... CC, some support through augments, and potentially scaling damage with his puddle.  Khora offers all of those as well.  She has excellent CC from her 2 and 4.  She can support with her 3.  And she has some of the highest scaling damage in the game.  By the time Khora's whipclaw tops off, few other frames would still be able to compete at all.

The issue of older Warframes is the same as older enemies. Being designed for a game that no longer exists.

A lot of old frames were designed in an era of limited stamina and weak melee, where OP AOE weapons didn't exist.

Take Excalibur. 

Slash Dash and Super Jump were movement options that didn't draw from stamina. Radial Blind was CC and allowed melee weapons to do work in an era before Blood Rush with finishers.

Stamina was removed with bullet jump added, thus Super Jump became redundant, thus was replaced with Exalted Blade.

Exalted Blade nowadays is sub par compared to regular melee.

5 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

The point of an augment is to not only be an option but to change how you use the ability, ss does that but because to the majority say that shuriken on its own is bad ppl use it permanently so for them it removes it being an option, like I said before shuriken needs to be good on it`s own so that ss can be more of an option.

Here is what I would do to improve shuriken.

This combined with ss striping enemy defences makes the augment more of an option and way more useful while shuriken now does more damage, consumes less energy, has utility and can now pick what enemy he wants to kill.

One thing I will say is that if the augment is equipped, the only thing that it will keep is the press and hold part, everything else is deactivated.

Your suggestions add way too much micromanagement and is too single target focused. It would do little to give Ash any place in your average player's roster beyond MR fodder. Augment or no, the armor strip is the reason people use his shuriken rather than helminth it away and I don't see anyone who plays him remotely seriously that doesn't take SS. Calling it optional is a joke. It doesn't change how you use the skill--it changes whether you use it. There are dozens of reasons why it shouldn't be an augment and should be built in.

That all said, the next biggest change that would actually make him more attractive and increase his usability would be if it could instantly pop Nully bubbles. Almost no frames have good options against them, so this would offer Ash a unique niche. Then his augment could add the toxin proc. This would be optional because it's mainly only useful against Corpus, not mandatory due to so many enemies (and especially the toughest ones) all typically having massive armor and some resistance to toxin.

His 4 is a joke outright. It has seen nerf after nerf, a "rework" designed to nerf it, and indirectly nerfed by other systems and mods being changed/nerfed. There's a good reason this is the first ability people think to replace with the Helminth system. Ironically, in a game about sci-fi space ninjas, this is probably the most ninja-like ability and it's one of the least liked due to all these changes/nerfs. Great job, DE. Good to see this pursuit of "balance" ruining the game piece by piece.

I've loved this game for years, but I know it's on borrowed time because people have a backward notion about what the game is and why people play it. The people complaining about "challenge" never had it in this game, likely never will, and will eventually be the death of it in the end.

5 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

I don't think that's DE's intention.  Where content is clearly supposed to be replaced is when it has MKI in its title, or when variants of it exist.  Yeah, Hydroid is designed to get phased out... and replaced by Hydroid Prime.

That's not really what niches have to be in this game though.  Warframes should have a number of strengths so that they can be broadly applied, with varying effectiveness, to all manner of game modes.  My Ivara isn't just useful in spy missions.  She's also great at anything requiring focusing down small groups of enemies, like Grineer RJ.  She's perfect for open world content, and I can also use her for farming, though Khora and Nekros will outpace her there.  I don't think a frame needs to be the clear "best" at something for it to be relevant.  They just need to bring enough to the table that they are not made completely irrelevant by another frame.

One of the problems with Hydroid is that, for a while, his farming augment was the only reason people ever used him.  And now Khora and her farming augment exist, so he's outclassed.  But what else does Hydroid offer?  Hmm... CC, some support through augments, and potentially scaling damage with his puddle.  Khora offers all of those as well.  She has excellent CC from her 2 and 4.  She can support with her 3.  And she has some of the highest scaling damage in the game.  By the time Khora's whipclaw tops off, few other frames would still be able to compete at all.

I get you here, but you're making a lot of the same arguments I am while disagreeing.  

Setting aside the "devs don't play their own game" logic/argument, Khora clearly outclasses hydroid in virtually everything relevant in the game and it's impossible to play the game long and not know this, it's literally common knowledge to all but the noobliest.   It's also been this way with people screaming about it that it's hard to state that this isn't the intention of DE at this point, especially when Pablo says "no more reworks in the pipe at this time". 

This indicates they know hydroid and several others who could use a healthy rework (frost, and several other granpappy frames) but they've decided it's a non starter now or in the foreseeable future, indicating a conscious choice has been made for these frames to stay on the level of suck and fall further into irrelevance.  This is why I say there is an intention.

They aren't unaware of the problems, or if they are it's only because they've strategically and intentionally buried their heads in the sand.

Additionally people have even spelled out how to fix a lot of these frames in various ways in various video essays, doing DE's job for them, and they can't even be asked to give a crap, as evidenced by the statement.

I don't see how you can come to any conclusion but DE wants these frames to be garbage tier. 

To a certain extent I can even understand too, they are all viable, so there isn't a pressing need to up their power level.  The thing is, them being a non choice actively harms the game, they just don't see it that way.

On 2021-07-27 at 6:57 PM, FrostDragoon said:

Your suggestions add way too much micromanagement and is too single target focused. It would do little to give Ash any place in your average player's roster beyond MR fodder. Augment or no, the armor strip is the reason people use his shuriken rather than helminth it away and I don't see anyone who plays him remotely seriously that doesn't take SS. Calling it optional is a joke. It doesn't change how you use the skill--it changes whether you use it. There are dozens of reasons why it shouldn't be an augment and should be built in.

That all said, the next biggest change that would actually make him more attractive and increase his usability would be if it could instantly pop Nully bubbles. Almost no frames have good options against them, so this would offer Ash a unique niche. Then his augment could add the toxin proc. This would be optional because it's mainly only useful against Corpus, not mandatory due to so many enemies (and especially the toughest ones) all typically having massive armor and some resistance to toxin.

His 4 is a joke outright. It has seen nerf after nerf, a "rework" designed to nerf it, and indirectly nerfed by other systems and mods being changed/nerfed. There's a good reason this is the first ability people think to replace with the Helminth system. Ironically, in a game about sci-fi space ninjas, this is probably the most ninja-like ability and it's one of the least liked due to all these changes/nerfs. Great job, DE. Good to see this pursuit of "balance" ruining the game piece by piece.

I've loved this game for years, but I know it's on borrowed time because people have a backward notion about what the game is and why people play it. The people complaining about "challenge" never had it in this game, likely never will, and will eventually be the death of it in the end.

Yes that`s the point. The hold is for targeting one enemy while the press is for multi enemies which can be spammed and doing so will make the combo multi kick in, it has multi strategic uses, I think it would make a difference and the reason ppl use the aug is for one faction and in high levels but it low levels or other factions you don`t need to which is why my improvements make a whole lot of difference since not you don`t need to have a slot take for the aug and now you have the choice of do I choose damage or enemy defence striping.

I won`t argue against it popping nully barrier but the point is to stop abilities from it being affective so DE is not going to do that, imo the old bs was better due to the fact it was instant, ignored los and can be used anywhere while the current bs cannot it can`t do a simple thing as kill level six enemies quickly while with a team on earth defence (seriously go try it he can`t) despite it being able to kill over level 100+ enemies.

Here are more issues with bs

Spoiler

·       The two stages of the killing process make bs slow, because of this, other players can take his kills before you get a chance to kill them which makes him not helpful in the team, not fun to play and in a fast-pasted game this is bad.

·       Marking enemies for some players is sickening because of the motion of moving the cursor onto enemies, even though it`s easier (but still a problem) to do this using a mouse, doing this on a controller is not as easy, an ability should be able to be easy to use no matter what you use.

·       Because enemies are highlighted by your chosen energy colour, it will make enemies more visible to other players to go and kill them which in their minds is a top priority.

·       Bodies disappearing makes it to where you can`t bring him in a desecrating team with a nekros. While bodies disappearing makes sense on paper for him being a ninja and I like the idea, unfortunately, this just makes him a problem in that team.

·       The indicator shows how many marks instead of how many enemies affected by bs. Because of this, you have no idea how many enemies are going to be killed. If it showed how many enemies affected by bs, it will let the play know when to use bs again.

·       Using your 2nd ability to use less energy is not synergy. Synergy is meant to be a choice that makes a difference in missions however, this so-called synergy is a must to use it consistently which makes it a bad gimmick.

·       Because of the synergy between his 2nd & 4th ability, you are forced to mod for duration to benefit from using less energy for bs since most people are not going to use bs while it`s taking more energy.

·       Using the 3rd ability to join the animation costs no energy but you need energy to be able to use it which makes no sense plus, in low-level missions, sometimes you`re not even going to get a chance use your 3rd ability because the apparitions have killed the enemies already. (depending on how many enemies you mark)

·       Apparitions (clones) appearance is not consistent. The visuals go from looking like you custom coloured Ash to a hologram version, to the original ash look with default colours. Also, this is a bug that the old bs had which means it has not been fixed.

·       When marking, you can`t mark enemies that are behind walls or objects which make you have to run around searching for enemies to kill and if you in a team, your marked enemies will be killed off by your teammates.

·       Even if Ash`s damage has increased to 2,000, (his damage now is still great) the damage is not as good compared to the old bs. The apparitions of the old bs was like Saryn`s 1st ability damage but slightly better, (and the terminator) the apparitions would not stop killing until the enemies were dead and even though attack speed mods can increase their killing speed, with the current bs, the apparitions only attack three times however the bleeding damage speed cannot.

·       Because of the way it works, it makes shuriken not favoured in use due to the amount of energy bs costs when modding and how much damage it does and how quick enemies will be killed when activated. This make some people use bs over shuriken.

·       The marking mechanic makes the ability ineffective in close-quarter, tight spaces which is what  the majority of the tilesets are, this makes the ability less effective and mostly useless even more so it a team.

·       You can`t pick and choose what enemies you want to kill; (which people claim you can do) on paper it makes sense however in practise the idea is not useful. For example, if you wanted to mark an energy eximus in-between two other enemies and you only have enough energy to mark one enemy, you are not able to.

Reasons;

· Enemies are running around to where you will either run out of energy or you simply can`t mark the eximus.

· You will have to stand there trying to mark that one enemy.

· You have a chance to get hit by a stray bullet or by an explosion whether you use your 2nd ability or not.

· If you’re playing in a team, someone WILL take the kill from you.

· Teleport can do it better and is faster at it. (this alone destroys the purpose of using it that way)

1 hour ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

Yes that`s the point. The hold is for targeting one enemy while the press is for multi enemies which can be spammed and doing so will make the combo multi kick in, it has multi strategic uses, I think it would make a difference and the reason ppl use the aug is for one faction and in high levels but it low levels or other factions you don`t need to which is why my improvements make a whole lot of difference since not you don`t need to have a slot take for the aug and now you have the choice of do I choose damage or enemy defence striping.

What I'm saying is that I don't care if the shuriken targets multiple enemies or single if it requires so many extra steps to micromanage and still doesn't do anything actually helpful.

I won`t argue against it popping nully barrier but the point is to stop abilities from it being affective so DE is not going to do that

They have made a couple exceptions, and some skills sort of get around it with line of sight tricks (like Mesa's 4). However, this would give Ash a clearly purpose and advantage in deciding whether to select him for a mission or not. Without this, he's a bad Ivara, because her sleep lets her be useful to allies, apply finisher attacks, stack stealth combo, etc while her bow can be used to pop Nullifiers, not to mention all her other advantages. This would offer Ash as an option for players that prefer the run-and-gun style instead of relying on exalted weapons.

imo the old bs was better due to the fact it was instant, ignored los and can be used anywhere while the current bs cannot it can`t do a simple thing as kill level six enemies quickly while with a team on earth defence (seriously go try it he can`t) despite it being able to kill over level 100+ enemies.

Here are more issues with bs

I agree with most of this. Ever since they reworked (nerfed/destroyed) Bladestorm, it's useless and is just one more reason for me not to play Ash, or at least helminth his 4 away in favor of something useful.

On 2021-07-29 at 3:36 PM, FrostDragoon said:

What I'm saying is that I don't care if the shuriken targets multiple enemies or single if it requires so many extra steps to micromanage and still doesn't do anything actually helpful.

They have made a couple exceptions, and some skills sort of get around it with line of sight tricks (like Mesa's 4). However, this would give Ash a clearly purpose and advantage in deciding whether to select him for a mission or not. Without this, he's a bad Ivara, because her sleep lets her be useful to allies, apply finisher attacks, stack stealth combo, etc while her bow can be used to pop Nullifiers, not to mention all her other advantages. This would offer Ash as an option for players that prefer the run-and-gun style instead of relying on exalted weapons.

I agree with most of this. Ever since they reworked (nerfed/destroyed) Bladestorm, it's useless and is just one more reason for me not to play Ash, or at least helminth his 4 away in favor of something useful.

How my improvements to shuriken are helpful?

• You can choose which enemy you want to kill.
  • It can be used to slow enemies down with the duration based on his passive.
  • It consume less energy which means more casts.
  • You are actually able to get headshots compared to now.
  • The damage can be increased thanks to the combo multi.
  • The synergy of enemies slowing down means it will give you a chance to get a head shot with the held part of shuriken if you want to.
  • Very affective in stealth gameplay.
  • Can produce crit and crit damage can be increased.
  • You don`t have to sacrifice a mod slot if you don`t want to.

Maybe for you it won`t change anything but base on the post and ppl I have spoken to in-game, other ppl feel like it`s a drastic improvement and very helpful compared to now, the way I see it if you want to get the best out of shuriken you have to spam a lot which I don`t see an issue but at least reaching it is way simpler than using bs.

As for what I said about bs being affective on earth defence here is a pic of it and pay attention to the total amount of kills.

Spoiler

# Ash cant kill on earth 1 by Aaronj-c

# Ash cant kill on earth 2 by Aaronj-c

4 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

How my improvements to shuriken are helpful?

• You can choose which enemy you want to kill.
  • It can be used to slow enemies down with the duration based on his passive.
  • It consume less energy which means more casts.
  • You are actually able to get headshots compared to now.
  • The damage can be increased thanks to the combo multi.
  • The synergy of enemies slowing down means it will give you a chance to get a head shot with the held part of shuriken if you want to.
  • Very affective in stealth gameplay.
  • Can produce crit and crit damage can be increased.
  • You don`t have to sacrifice a mod slot if you don`t want to.

Maybe for you it won`t change anything but base on the post and ppl I have spoken to in-game, other ppl feel like it`s a drastic improvement and very helpful compared to now, the way I see it if you want to get the best out of shuriken you have to spam a lot which I don`t see an issue but at least reaching it is way simpler than using bs.

As for what I said about bs being affective on earth defence here is a pic of it and pay attention to the total amount of kills.

I'm not saying your changes aren't an improvement over the existing version. I'm saying that they wouldn't be reason for me to play Ash. I don't care if they do damage or not, fundamentally. Their utility is what's important, and your change doesn't offer any level of utility that I would care about.

Edit~

Slowing enemies to land more headshots isn't important to me in the least. I've played this game since 2013 with Lex P as my most used secondary and Braton P for primary. It's easy to land headshots in this game. Giving his shurikens answers to the two most problematic elements of two factions would be reason to play him, though.

5 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

Oh well that makes sense coz you don`t know what other improvements I have for Ash if you know all my improvements to him then you can make a better judgement.

It doesn't matter. You've already stated the aims for your proposed changes and they don't accomplish anything that would garner my support for it. Let me put it another way. The changes you proposed have equal value (none) to me as if they do nothing at all because they don't address the reasons I currently don't play him.

• 2 weeks later...

DE's entire business model revolves around new content. Given the amount of broken, half-assed content that has gone untouched for years I really don't think it should be surprising that one of their developers says they enjoy adding new stuff instead of fixing old stuff.

For a time Warframe looked to be a passion project but at this point the business decisions seem far less focused on making the game "good" and instead seek to capitalize on the "new content! buy new stuff!" model.

It is a bummer but one of the primary reasons I am spending maybe 1-2 hours a week on Warframe instead of 15-30 like I used to. The game is not getting better. It is getting loads of new content, sure, but the game itself is getting easier and easier, and more and more systems are getting left as-is without needed improvements. 

Personally I would never recommend Warframe to people who aren't already addicted to it. Leave Warframe for other games, at this point. Warframe development suggests that we are in the sunset years.

On 2021-07-19 at 6:06 PM, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

During the Q&A in the dev panel, Pablo said he would much rather work on new content rather than fix old stuff, and as such no additional Warframe reworks are pending. I can understand wanting to add things to the game, and yes, please, give us more. But there are a lot of things that really do need to be addressed, and I hate the idea of have 47 Warframes with at least half of them having either a wasted ability or just a really weak kit. Don't get me wrong, there are almost no frames that I would say are broken to the point of needed a total overhaul, and the community definitely tends to be very shortsighted with new releases (Yareli's being dragged through the mud right now, but I'm confident she's going to get some bumps in power). There are also some core mechanics in the game that honestly do need a bit of a once-over. Note: Pablo's responsible for a ton of my favorite parts of this game, like Nezha and Wukong's reworks, as well as Nullifiers. Yes, I think Nullifiers are a good addition. ...Except when I'm playing max range Limbo.

Warframes: We all have at least one frame that we think needs a little love. Mesa needs a new 1. Excalibur's 1 needs to be retuned for Melee 3.0. Garuda is basically a Valkyr rework, and she has her own problems like blood ball management and a fun bug if you cast her 1 too fast. Grendel is Grendel. Hydroid is about as effective at killing enemies as slapping them with noodles. Obviously, some players love these frames as they are, but with the Helminth system came a chance for us to get a look at what abilities players thought were better being replaced with something wholesale, and it really does feel like a band-aid approach. I think a good once-over of every frame would do some good. Not even big changes, for some it would literally just be tweaking AOE/aiming and shifting some numbers and scaling around. And for Void's sake, we really should be able to recast buffs while they're active, rather than having to have a ton of mods thrown at us to allow them to be recast. Convenience is rarely worth a mod slot.

Weapons: I like the idea of the Galvanized mods, as they introduce what's basically a combo counter to a lot of weapons, but again, this was a faster solution in the place of a more thorough one, especially when paired with arcanes. I think mechanically the new primary and secondary arcanes are tuned just fine, but I do feel as though a lot of the problem is the systemic failure that is the damage system. There is practically no reason to run viral/fire outside of very specific circumstances. Meanwhile, gas and magnetic have almost no real utility outside of basically two enemy types, even though gas is probably one of the most fun status effects. Magnetic, however, has no utility outside of shielded enemies, which are almost non-existent outside of the Corpus, and toxin ignores shields anyway. Seriously, what is the point of having magnetic damage outside of semi-scripted fights like Profit Taker? To make matters worse, there are twelve flavors of enemy resistance types with thirteen types of damage (excluding "object" enemies like Blunts and True and Void damage types, which have no resistances), and a lot of the damage vs resistance matchups don't really make sense. Why does poisonous gas do less damage to living flesh and more damage to infested flesh? Why does electricity do less damage to alloy armor, despite metals being conductive (generally)? And then there's another problem.

Primaries: There are, realistically, six categories of primary weapons: automatic rifles, semi-automatic rifles, sniper rifles, shotguns, launchers, and bows, along with a few oddballs lumped into other categories like the Phage, Phantasma, and Ignis. Tuning-wise however, there are almost no situations where you would want to use a semi-auto over an auto rifle. For example, assuming you have perfect timing (or just assign mouse-wheel down) you can fire a Latron Prime 4 times per second, with each shot at a base of 90 damage. A Tenora (classique) will spool up to doing 11 shots per second at 40 damage. The Latron Prime has lower crit chance and higher crit damage and status chance, but you're way more likely to have a Tenora crit, and having almost 3 times the fire rate means a higher probability of status effects. Both are dwarfed by the sheer destructive power of the Cedo, which not only has innate Condition Overload, but also an AOE that spreads a TON of status. It's an automatic shotgun, and probably the best weapon in the game, which is why it makes sense to lock it behind a long rep grind. However, all of these are MR 8 weapons. I understand that older weapons aren't going to be as highly tuned as more recent ones. However, there really should be more consistency among the relationship between fire rate and damage per shot. A more math-savvy Tenno could probably do proper DPS graph of what a mag dump would look like for each weapon, but I think most of us would rather run explosives anyway.

Modding: Warframes, and I'd argue melee weapons, have a ton of wiggle room in modding. Primaries and secondaries are basically "build hybrid crit/status with Viral/fire." If the point of having eight mod slots is the give players the freedom to have a unique weapon instead of a tech tree, then that design has failed. Every now and then you get a weird outlier of a weapon like the Tiberon Prime that can be modded towards any one of its strengths. But unless you're in very late game or running Chroma, there's almost never a reason not to add base damage or multishot to weapons. My opinion on Multishot has always been that it's a glorified, upgraded version of crit chance, and many Warframe youtubers basically repeat the mantra of one or two "free mod slots" or "preference slots," meaning the ones not devoted to damage, multishot, viral, and crit. The most fun weapons I've ever built were a set of max fire rate Twin Vipers and a max magazine Carmine Penta (the Grenade Scythe), but there's absolutely no reason to ever use them, and in most situations they're unusable. On one hand, weapons level like Warframes, so it would make sense for a weapon's power to scale with level, but on the other hand, that would also mean a lot of homogenization of weapons. ...Honestly I'm not sure how to tackle this.

Player Feedback: Why is there no in-game way for players to give feedback on new content? A simple rating box that you can access if you've done the requisite task would be great! A great example would be Yareli. The forums have made it very clear (myself included) that she has some serious problems. But to make your voice heard, you need to go to the forums, and because all of the feedback is being done in a massive batch, a lot of it gets lost. While I'll admit a lot of players are really optimistic about some changes (someone basically suggested a full rework of Merulina to be a whale, like... lol wut), there is a ton of requests that are really reasonable that will probably be lost to the ether. Not to mention the simple problem of "how many players post of the forums?" Just some buttons in game that integrate with the game's data would be fantastic. It would also be cool to have a wider access to some beta features to see what's coming down the pipeline. I love the Tennocon relays, and I think it would be awesome to have them in game for every dev-stream. I don't know what that would look like from a back-end perspective, but it would be a way more positive experience to hang out in a relay with fellow tenno rather than try and comprehend Twitch chat from literally everywhere on Earth.

I know this was a long, rambling post. I'm not meaning to be like "rawrgh Pablo bad." I honestly think he's one of the coolest figures in gaming right now, being an extremely active player in a game he's developing. I just thought that particular line rubbed me a little the wrong way. To quote Shuri from Black Panther: "Just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved." I mean, I wouldn't have put thousands of hours into a game I don't love. But there are some things that I feel really deserve some polish and love.

I agree. See in my eyes a very simple fix would be to let us use more abilities for our helminth system. Now I do agree letting every ability be used would be op for some warframes. However, I feel a very simple fix for this is to just let the "first" frames be able to be used for any ability. What I mean is let anyone put a mix of abilities from Volt, Mag,  Excalibur, and L into any warframe. To give you an example, lets look at Limbo. Look wise, I love limbo, how he looks and how he interacts with things is what got my attention. However even after reworks, I feel like I still get in the way of my team when I use my abilities. However I do know people still like him for what he can do. So heres the solution. Rather then try another rework or tweak to try and make both players happy, if the team added this system in it would fix both problems. What they can do to help balance is you can only choose one ability to replace from each frame, Meaning You couldn't put all three of their 1st ability on your frame. If this system was added, for me personally My ability list would be:

Ability one:Mags pull

Ability 2: Volts shield

Ability 3:Excalibur's Javelins

Ability 4:Replaced with helminth ability that lets me heal others using energy (Forgot what its called)

Deimos still has plenty of bugs, despite it being a great way to waste the day away... if not for the bugs. The NPE's better, but Vor's Prize still has incredible lag on a 1050 TI custom-built that can run games like Cyberpunk 2077 completely maxed out. Some frames, most primaries, lots of secondaries, and a handful of melees have very specific builds you must use to make them viable in high-level content, and a number of weapons of all types straight-up aren't ever going to be. While I love new content, I do think they need to do a polishing run for most of the older content as well because that's what most new players will be seeing first, and it also includes a lot of frames that may appeal to different people and get some cosmetic purchases on the side.

"Focus on new content" feels bad when new content is randomly either crap (yareli, deimos arcane) or so OP that it get nerfed if it get noticed (insert meta weapon nerf).

"we're releasing stuff that is barely tested but seemed cool during the meeting, the art team made a great work, we don't know if it'll be useful appart for captura, but be sure that post release we'll do minimal effort because another cool idea popped during last meeting and you'll have new good looking stuff coming in 3 months"

Tbh at this point they almost should release new stuff as skins.

Archived