Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concern about Dominus's Mood Cycle

.LeiA._

It said it the wiki, according to Devstream 168, there are 5 mood cycles and it spans 2 hours each (the moods are: Fear, Envy, Anger, Sorrow, and Joy). Here's my biggest concern, WHAT IF they places 5 different weapons/parts/important materials on each cycle, we'll be playing the hours waiting game to get one specific thing we needed and the drop rate is kinda bad (RNG and you know DE's placing of fodder with bad drop rate, looking at you, Ambassador and Aeolak). Examples that they already implemented are Deimos wildlife that only spawn at Fass/Vome, doing Narmer bounty at Cetus when day and Orb Vallis when Cetus is in night time (for Archon's weapons)

And another thing, what if, the cycle it's not in order, for example, Fear, Envy and suddenly Sorrow, back to Fear, then Joy again (mood swings, I'm not giving DE ideas, just assumption). I'm now in Fear mood, I wanted to get parts/materials from Envy, but whoops, suddenly it changed to Anger. Your plan is ruined and your day, too. 

What do you guys think about this?

I think that making speculations are of little use when it's 3 days till the update's release.

Also I believe that it is within DE's common sense to not tie resources to a cycle which is 10 hours long at least, but only time will tell. They had made incredibly dumb desicions before.

1 hour ago, .LeiA._ said:

It said it the wiki, according to Devstream 168, there are 5 mood cycles and it spans 2 hours each (the moods are: Fear, Envy, Anger, Sorrow, and Joy). Here's my biggest concern, WHAT IF they places 5 different weapons/parts/important materials on each cycle, we'll be playing the hours waiting game to get one specific thing we needed and the drop rate is kinda bad (RNG and you know DE's placing of fodder with bad drop rate, looking at you, Ambassador and Aeolak). Examples that they already implemented are Deimos wildlife that only spawn at Fass/Vome, doing Narmer bounty at Cetus when day and Orb Vallis when Cetus is in night time (for Archon's weapons)

And another thing, what if, the cycle it's not in order, for example, Fear, Envy and suddenly Sorrow, back to Fear, then Joy again (mood swings, I'm not giving DE ideas, just assumption). I'm now in Fear mood, I wanted to get parts/materials from Envy, but whoops, suddenly it changed to Anger. Your plan is ruined and your day, too. 

It's even worse than you imagined:  there's actually a 6th mood, called Worrywart and you're already in it. :P

Rockos Modern Life Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

lol... what if.... you already know that it's going to be like that because they have already set things behind individual cycles. 

They also don't need to change a drop table if the item is locked behind an enemy that only shows up on a particular cycle.... eidolons for example, which don't need to be locked to the cycle of PoE but they are.

Personally I don't like cycles because depending on your own personal schedule you could end up getting the exact same cycle every time you login... I'd prefer a choice which affects something else like difficulty level or something instead.

7 hours ago, .LeiA._ said:

What do you guys think about this?

Fred Armisen Laughing GIF by IFC

I'd like to give DE the benefit of the doubt and hope they've learned from past mistakes, and will have the sense to not do something stupid like this.

on the one hand I can see why this might be a concern; Dominus Thrax is apparently prone to mood swings and is unpredictable, but I have another theory:

each of the 5 moods occurs in sequence, and it's always the same sequence; this is not just done for mechanical reason, but because Duviri, by nature, seems to keep repeating itself: the Drifter is locked in an endless cycle of combat and death, and by extension, Dominus Thrax is always watching him: if the exact same series of events occur over and over again, as in a Samsara*, then that means Dominus Thrax keeps experiencing the same emotions in response to those events, over and over again in the same order. this would explain in-universe how the cycle repeats.

*Samsara is a Sanskrit word meaning "flow around", and is normally used in religions like Buddhism to refer to the cycle of birth, life and death, and the accumulation of Karma along the way. the cycle does not end, and upon death the soul is reincarnated, it's new form based on the nature of the Karma it has collected through good and evil deeds. Sanskrit is also a language that DE uses heavily in this game: the polarities/focus school names are Sanskrit words, as are some weapon names and even character names.  

the new game mode outside of the quest, is called the Circuit, which can also be interpreted as a cycle, or even... a Samsara.. 

11 hours ago, ant99999 said:

Also I believe that it is within DE's common sense to not tie resources to a cycle which is 10 hours long at least, but only time will tell. They had made incredibly dumb desicions before.

Surely there's no track history to point at for the contrary. /s

They always do this, they're going to keep doing it, and people are going to keep defending it.  DE does not care about the fact that you might not want to schedule your life around the game.  You will play when they want you to play, or you will not get the things you want.  Eidolons, all the open world cycles, all the fomo in several different mechanics and events.

Archived