Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 33.6: Echoes of Duviri

[DE]Taylor

2 hours ago, JargenBakt said:

I've also noticed that several files in the - Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Cache.Windows - which I'm assuming has to be related to the new cache are being updated almost every single second. If this really is the cache that's being updated, then it's incredible destructive and wasteful especially on SSDs having these files being written to almost every single second. If this really is the new cache, then a pre-generate option for all shaders needs to be implemented as soon as possible.

The folder you referenced are mostly game assets (they're packaged in a specific way); there are some shader permutations present here it seems (i.e. H.ShaderDx11.cache / B.ShaderPermutationDx11.cache files), but the GPU specific shaders compiled at runtime are in their respective folders still (for me, the DirectX NVIDIA ones are in '%LOCALAPPDATA%/NVIDIA/DXCache' I believe, though there are some other locations they could be stored too). I'm unsure how you're seeing if the cache is being updated every second, the only files with recent updates I'm seeing are H.Misc ones and that doesn't seem like they'd hold anything like that, though a dev would have to confirm tbf.

I would not really be concerned about SSD longevity in regards to this process - my entire shader cache is only like 1GB for 50+ games. The size of the files is not very large, and the reads and writes (on invalidation / recompilation) seem very minimal compared to how much they're rated for over their lifetime. If it is a concern you could disable it, but I wouldn't recommend it due to performance issues.

I would like a pre-compile option of sorts to avoid stutters altogether too, a lot of games provide this to some extent (usually on main menus or from a launcher). Even if they're invalidated by driver updates every month or two, or can't quite compile everything at once, it's better than having to sit through constant fps drops at runtime / if generated on demand.

Thank you kindly for the Warframe Augments this time around, all of them are perfect, especially Voruna's Ulfrun's Endurance. If it at all possible, would it be possible to add synergy with Lycath's Hunt and Ulfrun's Descent as well as Fangs of Raksh?

Thank you for looking into fixes for Excalibur Umbra this hotfix as well, all of them are very appreciated. If at all possible, there are still some major issues persisting with Excalibur Umbra's passive, including Transference position, loss of ally and toggle buffs aside from Exalted Blade, and issues with the Naramon skill tree. I've included some in the Bug Report section.

Please look into this if possible.

• Like 2

Almost three months or a little bit more have passed since the launch of Duviri Paradox and the energy colors of the Kaithe wings they cannot adapt with our chosen energy colors. Isn't that a bit ridiculous don't you think? I did not wanted to refer to the more serious bugs that we have been reported countless times... because im tired.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

The folder you referenced are mostly game assets (they're packaged in a specific way); there are some shader permutations present here it seems (i.e. H.ShaderDx11.cache / B.ShaderPermutationDx11.cache files), but the GPU specific shaders compiled at runtime are in their respective folders still (for me, the DirectX NVIDIA ones are in '%LOCALAPPDATA%/NVIDIA/DXCache' I believe, though there are some other locations they could be stored too). I'm unsure how you're seeing if the cache is being updated every second, the only files with recent updates I'm seeing are H.Misc ones and that doesn't seem like they'd hold anything like that, though a dev would have to confirm tbf.

After some additional testing, I can confirm that the four files - F.ShaderPermutationDx11.cache F.ShaderPermutationDx11.toc F.ShaderDx11.cache F.ShaderDx11.toc - are the new cache. I went into the launcher and tested DX11 and DX12 with and without the Shader Cache option. I moved these files out, launched the game, and only on DX12 with Shader Cache did these files show back up again. The first two are constantly being updated while the other two seem to only update when you quit the game.

Now, there are two ways to verify how something is written. Check the data modified on the filestamps in file explorer and/or use Resource Monitor that's part of Windows and monitor what files are currently being accessed and written to.

3 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

I would not really be concerned about SSD longevity in regards to this process - my entire shader cache is only like 1GB for 50+ games. The size of the files is not very large, and the reads and writes (on invalidation / recompilation) seem very minimal compared to how much they're rated for over their lifetime. If it is a concern you could disable it, but I wouldn't recommend it due to performance issues.

Maybe for you it doesn't matter, but there are other people, including myself, who are wary about something being written that often for something that doesn't need to be written that often.

So, after all this, I've gone back to DX11 with the GPU Vendor Shader Cache turned off because this engine clearly has a big problem with the handling of any Shader Caches being present. It's pretty clear that this engine is not meant to have a Shader Cache at all and is to generate and store everything on-the-fly in memory. It is pretty clear that the presence of a Shader Cache is screwing with the engine in a real hard way and this problem needs to be acknowledged at some point.

• Like 3

Apologies this is a bit of a long post (I don't mean to overtake the hotfix thread I swear lol):

1 hour ago, JargenBakt said:

Now, there are two ways to verify how something is written. Check the data modified on the filestamps in file explorer and/or use Resource Monitor that's part of Windows and monitor what files are currently being accessed and written to.

I'm aware of methods you can use, I moreover meant this as how are you personally doing so, like what process and numbers are you seeing? Because those numbers are not reflected for my own usage and I don't really have any reference point for how "much" is being written and how often. I'd be inclined to agree it's an issue if it's writing like 50GB an hour or something ridiculous, but my own cache sizes are not frequently written to or large, and just regular OS or page file usage would probably contribute more reads / writes tbh.

only on DX12 with Shader Cache did these files show back up again

They might be related specifically to DX12 and PSO Caching then (the option in launcher), I don't use either on my system solely because it stutters endlessly on DX12 (as in every single load of any object, like it's not caching anything usable at all), but it seems to run better on other systems so it's probably just my setup having some config weirdness.

back to DX11 with the GPU Vendor Shader Cache turned off because this engine clearly has a big problem with the handling of any Shader Caches being present

IIRC DX11 has driver-side handling of shader caching (though I believe the engine can still manually do some stuff using shader blobs & D3DCompile, though I honestly do not fully understand the complicated mess that is GPU pipelining or the D3D APIs in great detail); would you need to have these same concerns and disable it on DX11? Shader caching has been present since the early 2000s by drivers even on DX 9, though they were admittedly less numerous or complex in terms of permutations then.

I do remember I replied to you a while back as well regarding driver cache sizes too, if that changes your opinion on this any:

I'm not sure how the engine would cause issues on something that's driver intercepted (i.e. engine requires shader usage, driver passes the cache compiled iteration where appropriate and does not have to recompile, engine sees no different end result). This is mainly why I've just recommended most people stay on DX11 for now (specifically for Warframe, other games seem to do just fine), as the overall performance might be slightly worse but it's way more consistent at runtime in the current state. I guess I'm just very confused by the statement that the "engine is not meant to have a Shader Cache at all and is to generate and store everything on-the-fly in memory" as it's using the exact same underlying D3D APIs that many other engines use.

@Naroxas44 I started to noticed the Shader Cache problem about a few years ago when I had to start clearing it out after every major update and noticed that I was getting vastly improved load times on first load compared to subsequent loads leading me to finally disabling the cache. That's when load times became faster and more consistent and the game stopped freezing on occasion. It seems like both the GPU Vendor Shader Cache and the engine's own local Shader Cache have the exact same problems. The engine's handling of generated cached data is clearly incredibly messed up. You'd have to go and play Warframe yourself at least on DX11 without the shader cache present and with it turned off to see what I mean. There's not much else more I can say about it other than I've noticed the problem, I've replicated the problem, and I've laid it out for all to see.

• Like 2

So this update pretty much bricked Duviri, your flagship new content by introducing a consistent progression soft-locker that breaks both the Circuit and the Plains content, making them practically unplayable at the moment, and also screwed over people who play with controllers by breaking their configs, and you looked at this and said "Eh, we'll fix it on Monday."

Edited by Egathentale
  • Like 5

Thank you for the changes to overguard. As someone who primarily plays icy avalanche frost, I was really sad about the changes to his augment last update. These new changes fix almost all of the issues I had.

• The visuals of not flinching and bleeding anymore while overguard is up is far better, and much closer to what it was before, I'm most happy about this change. I feel cool again. I still don't like seeing directional indicators of where I'm being shot from, but the overguard ones are a bit more subtle at least.
  • Giving overguard a timed shield-gate is a lot better than the 1-hit shield gate that we had before the overguard changeover, glad to have this. And I'll be happy no matter what the timer end up being, as long as it isn't 0s
  • The issues I had with status effects still proccing on me, even if only visually, do seem to be resolved. Very glad to not get slapped with sickening magnetic proc screen effects again.

The new damage numbers for abilities are also pretty nice. I use my frosts avalanche as a sort of radar, and these numbers are a lot more visible to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Egathentale said:

So this update pretty much bricked Duviri, your flagship new content by introducing a consistent progression soft-locker that breaks both the Circuit and the Plains content, making them practically unplayable at the moment, and also screwed over people who play with controllers by breaking their configs, and you looked at this and said "Eh, we'll fix it on Monday."

You must be new, welcome to Warframe. You might have heard that this game recently had it's 10 year anniversary, but it nevertheless is still in beta. And we're the only testers there are. I wish I was joking.

At least it's just the weekend, not like they're going on an extended holiday. Not this time!

Edited by Traumtulpe
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

You must be new, welcome to Warframe.

Been around for quite a while, yet DE's haphazard attitude to their updates never ceases to amaze me.

Oh, wait. Did I say "amaze"? My bad. I meant to say "fill me with a deep and profound sense of utter confusion lightly tinged by at least ten different hues of exasperation". Almost the same thing, really.

• Like 4

I don't know what you did to the Incarnon Torid but I don't like it.
I am aware you cannot stack the gauge on dead bodies but I observed another issue. Hitting enemies with the projectile doesn't always grant progress, only when you are reaaaaly close to an enemy. Let's say every distance past 5m doesn't fill the gauge anymore. Feels like after the bullet drop happens, you do not get any stacks.

• Like 1

On 2023-07-27 at 9:03 PM, MortalMercenary said:

Aim better, it's rewarding you taking the time to aim for headshots with a better stronger firing mode. 

Charging the miter and dual tox is super easy and we don't even know what it takes to charge the new Incarnons yet because they aren't available to anyone until the weekly reset. 

You clearly didn't read the entire post.

Incarnons will ALWAYS charge on headshots. There is no other mechanic to it. Just because new series being added later doesn't mean the mechanics are changing, yet they should, as stated in my previous comment for a lot of valid reasons.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, iHeuksal said:

You clearly didn't read the entire post.

Incarnons will ALWAYS charge on headshots. There is no other mechanic to it. Just because new series being added later doesn't mean the mechanics are changing, yet they should, as stated in my previous comment for a lot of valid reasons.

My Torid begs to differ, it's about the only one that only needs body shots.

Edit:
Never mind, I actually just read your original post, though TBH I was replying to the underlined part in the quoted post, I see you acknowledged the Torid does charge via body shots.

Edited by Slayer-.

On 2023-07-27 at 5:01 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

Cold Changes:
Freeze Status Effect Changes:

• Increased the maximum amount of stacks from 8 to 9.
  • Increased the additional per-stack Slow from 3.5% to 5%. 
  • Increased the maximum Slow effect from 75% to 90%. 
  • While we previously mentioned buffing Cold Slow Effect to 85% in our Citrine’s Last Wish update, we mistakenly only increased it to 75% instead. 

Freeze Status Effect Additions:

• Increased the Critical Damage taken by an enemy by 10% on initial Status Effect Subsequent Stacks increase this debuff by 5%, up to a maximum of 50%. This is additive after mods, not before.

I am now seeing massive damage spikes from mobs using cold based attacks, like suppressors in Railjack, totally out of proportions with other mobs in the same mission. Also, the Kahl stealth mission became a tad harder to finish due to the cold based weapons of the moas.

Sadly, I'm not even surprised anymore.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Sadly, I'm not even surprised anymore.

That obviously would be the case - enemies don't use mods, so a 50% flat crit damage bonus that is inconsequential for a modded weapon will noticably increase enemy damage.

Same deal with Gas procs; They are bugged to not scale with mods, making them perfect in the hands of enemies who don't have mods.

• Like 3

Somehow you removed FSR even tho my Amd GPU and drivers support it  - Ive actually used it and it worked just fine. Now its not an option.

PfNGFrf.jpeg

Still eats 5+ gb of RAM and doesn't free it even when you are in orbiter or some simple map which used to take twice less memory.

At least shader cache works now so it doesn't stutter every time you load.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aikonce said:

sorry if this info already had been told, but when incarnons of this week will be repeated? After 6 week 11 september or in the end of next circle 23 october? 

From the initial patch notes for U33.6: 

On 2023-07-27 at 11:01 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Here is the updated Offering Rotation Schedule for the Steel Path Circuit:

Week 1: Braton, Lato, Skana, Paris, Kunai (this week’s offerings)
Week 2: (NEW) Boar, Gammacor, Angstrum, Gorgon, and Anku 
Week 3: Bo, Latron, Furis, Furax, Strun 
Week 4: Lex, Magistar, Boltor, Bronco, Ceramic Dagger 
Week 5: Torid, Dual Toxocyst, Dual Ichor, Miter, Atomos
Week 6: Ack & Brunt, Soma, Vasto, Nami Solo, Burston 
Week 7: Zylok, Sibear, Dread, Despair, Hate 

We're currently on Week "2" for the new ones, so it will repeat this "week 2" on the week of Sept. 18th if I'm counting that correctly.

1 hour ago, Naroxas44 said:

We're currently on Week "2" for the new ones, so it will repeat this "week 2" on the week of Sept. 18th if I'm counting that correctly.

Thank you! Just wasn't sure that this schedule looks like this because of update or become permanent. 

On 2023-07-27 at 8:01 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

With respect to current Circuit Reward Path rotation, we wanted to give players fastest access to these new Incarnons as possible. As a result, we are altering the current Steel Path Circuit reward rotation to ensure they show up next week (July 30th). 

• 3 weeks later...
En 28/7/2023 a las 9:35, [DE]Momaw dijo:

We know about the buff icon not displaying correctly, but how are you testing that shows the damage itself not working?

As you can see, it's still bugged. But on the other hand.

En 28/7/2023 a las 9:35, [DE]Momaw dijo:

(it is VERY easy to miss the target and lose the buff while they are getting pushed around by the Incarnon mode's impact)

What's the point of getting the augment mod if it's as hard to maintain as you mention?

I thought it was going to work as it was apparently shown at the beginning (I mean, it was charged with the normal form of the Latron and then the buffo was paused until the incarnon form decayed) because that would make sense for an AoE weapon and it makes accurate shots of Normal form are necessary to have a good bonus.

This would require you to make accurate shots with Normal form and if you miss the correct timing then you lose the Bonus and can't use it until you remove Incarnon form.

I hope your team is thinking well how this mod works.

• Like 2