Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There needs to be a way to stop people from joining bounties to afk and do nothing

Kron118

I've been grinding a bunch of bounties lately to amp up my standings on Cetus and Fortuna. But here's the annoying thing: in almost every squad, there's at least one person who's either slacking off or just wandering around the map, not even mining or hunting animals, just zipping around. These people ain't doing squat, yet they still get the bounty rewards and standings that the rest of us work for. And you know what? This messes with the whole bounty deal, making it harder and slower to finish stuff up because we got fewer people actually helping out. They really should set up something to put a lid on this behavior. It's seriously putting a damper on the whole open-world vibe for me and loads of other players too.

Edited by Kron118
  • Like 6

Bounties aren't a good way to get standing, for starters. Fishing has always been a powerful means for Cetus, while mining is meta in Fortuna. And unlike bounties, this only benefits the person doing the activity so it can't be leeched.

Chances are good those leeches are probably doing exactly that while you slave away at bounties.

EDIT:
I forgot to add something important: Unlike most other places, you can leave squad while in the middle of a bounty in the plains and orb vallis. If you choose to, you'll migrate to your own instance if you're a client, or boot everyone out of the team as a host. If you want to be extra spiteful, do it in a time-sensitive mission with little time remaining so they're almost guaranteed to fail.

Edited by Pizzarugi
  • Like 3

Tag them in chat and request them to do the tasks at hand otherwise a report will happen. This often leads to them bailing out of the squad (into their own session) or they will rush to you and help.

Example:
"@<username> , mate, you either participate in the bounty we're doing or i'll have to submit a report afterwards"

In the offchance they still ignore this, simply take evidence, screencap their location on map and all, then submit a ticket at support for afk, it's not that they did afk gameplay, but they negleted the objective intentionally, which is similar to afk.
As a sugestion, don't use this method for regular missions, bounties have multiple stages, minutes long and that makes it suitable to observe and report the behavior, but in regular missions, you can't just expect users to participate in the 30 seconds the mission took to finish, use common sense.

As a reminder, support tickets (aswell as reports ingame) make you responsible for the ticket, if you end up with the habit of reporting users willy nilly, the consequences may fall on you and not on the users you're reporting

• Like 5

Dont do public squads. Thats the only fix. Even if the devs wanted to fix this, they couldnt. There is literally no way to tell when someone is afk on purpose and when not. Even now the automated anti afk system punishes some players that are playing the game and contributing but dont move or shoot for a few seconds/minutes so they dont get mission rewards. It would be even worse in cases like these. Besides, even if there was a reliable way to do it, the solution would probably be just kicking the players out of squad/game or banning them. In all of the cases its too late because the squad was already formed so if they get kicked, they dont get replaced. Which means you will end up the same as if you just dont do public squad in the first place. So again, dont do public squads, ez.

2 часа назад, MaxTunnerX сказал:

There is literally no way to tell when someone is afk on purpose and when not

There is another way.

Remember when you approach the stage's task area and move away afterwards, there is a warning that the bounty will be canceled? DE could modify this a bit and show such warning to all squad at the start of each stage with, say, 1-1.5 min countdown. After which the player who have not entered the stage area would be kicked into his own session with bounty failed.

Complicated, I know, but not impossible.

Do not do any of this. If its a new player, you go to the plains, and you'll find yourself in a random bounty.

I've been there myself, open the gates, think "what's this" and see a waypoint market 2 km away. This was before the blinkpads.. no hope of getting there. So now i'm in a bounty and no way of doing anything. The problem lies with DE's matchmaking and mission joining design on the open worlds.

So all you can do, is ignore the other players, play for yourself and if they're not doing it, fine. Leave, abort, complete the mission and don't do any more with them. Whatever makes you feel good, but don't be too quick to blame them for things that are not necessarily their fault.

Ps. the best way to getr standing IMHO is conservation. on the plains you don't even need to hunt the critters, just fly around with the tranq waiting for the animal noise to indicate one is nearby.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KIREEK said:

Tag them in chat and request them to do the tasks at hand otherwise a report will happen. This often leads to them bailing out of the squad (into their own session) or they will rush to you and help.

Reminds me when I typed in chat "Did you guys know Windows 10 comes with its own game recording software? Aaannndd... Win+G, now recording." The guy doing the Grinding Rails for Vent Kid standing immediately FLEW to the bounty area.

• Like 3

In a public group you always go in a risk of getting leeches. There is no way of imposing a system solution that wouldnt harm innocent players either by mistake or abuse from the other players. Only way is to talk to them and if they do not listen/ignore, ticket report them afterwards with the evidence. Other option is just to leave group imidiately and go on solo or with new members that can still join untill 1st objective is fulfilled. 

I have had people do fishing/mining/gathering mats/afking while others did objective, I always address this in chat.

Most bounties are really better to do solo than with randoms. Even premades can be slower than solo (base bounties) because of the scaling of the objectives. 

Edited by Zakkhar

On 2023-08-12 at 8:34 AM, KIREEK said:

Example:
"@<username> , mate, you either participate in the bounty we're doing or i'll have to submit a report afterwards"

In the offchance they still ignore this, simply take evidence, screencap their location on map and all, then submit a ticket at support for afk, it's not that they did afk gameplay, but they negleted the objective intentionally, which is similar to afk.
As a sugestion, don't use this method for regular missions, bounties have multiple stages, minutes long and that makes it suitable to observe and report the behavior, but in regular missions, you can't just expect users to participate in the 30 seconds the mission took to finish, use common sense.

As a reminder, support tickets (aswell as reports ingame) make you responsible for the ticket, if you end up with the habit of reporting users willy nilly, the consequences may fall on you and not on the users you're reporting

One thing I'll point out... some of the bounty stages, you can legit complete passively, solo, by just placing an on-call crew member on the objective, and then going off to do fishing or mining while the timer counts down.  Not saying that this is typically what's going on, just something to pay attention to before making threats.

I think the problem really with the bounties is that they are super boring and trivially easy.  And yes, they are an inefficient way to earn standing, but you need to do them for Nightwave and for some mods and blueprints and such.  Hopefully any future open worlds will be more like Duviri and less like the others.

For a few bounties it could theoretically slow the mission down, to not have everyone search for cache or whatever.

Realistically though it doesn't make enough of a difference to care about.

Then it also opens the door to getting hemorrhoids over other, similar, pity stuff such as spy missions, sorties and so on. I refuse to play steel path with low MR players!!!!1

One day you going to find yourself being negative the entire time, constantly watching the other players and getting ever increasingly petty, it's just not worh it. I am not doing more than 1 spy vault!!!11 Then rage quit as host to punish them for their insolence! How dare they!!!!!1111

Unhealthy.

• Like 1