Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The price of Heirloom skins is incredibly disappointing.

Kymaeraa

2 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

Reading your last couple posts have been a breath of fresh air amongst so much negativity and out of this world takes this last couple days. Thank you.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. I am generally not inherently anti-negativity, especially as far as candid displays of expression by people into the ether. Just as you say though, there is so much of it already, and I definitely do not think negativity needs to be aimed or redirected at our fellow Warframe fans either. 

All the best to you, take care! 

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

What is it, besides the cash only nature and the manufactured exclusivity, that makes the Heirloom skins any different from any other Deluxe skin?

but doesnt this make it fair then? All those other skins are for plat, and DE chose these designs (out of many) to be a supporter pack. It's not like they gate the BEST skins behind cash. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

but doesnt this make it fair then? All those other skins are for plat, and DE chose these designs to be a supporter pack.

Why would that make any of it fair? That's one of the key things people are upset about. If people felt it were fair then they wouldn't be so upset about it.

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

It's not like they gate the BEST skins behind cash. 

That's subjective and you know it. Personally these are the BEST Mag and Frost skins, and they're gated behind cash unlike every other Warframe skin in the game. What's fair about that?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

I dunno, nothing about them appears to me any differently than any other Deluxe skin. What makes them "Prime Accessory level" vs "Deluxe Skin level"? Not to single you out or anything, but a few people have made this comparison to Prime Accessories and I'm just not seeing where that comparison comes from.

What is it about this:

MagHeirloomSkin.pngFrostHeirloomSkin.png

That's so different from any of these:

RhinoDeluxe.pngProteaCaladriusCollection.pngExcaliburZatoSkin.pngSentientVisionsDeluxeSkinCollection.pngRhinoDeathwatchSkin.pngXakuKaguraSkin.png

Is it because they use new character meshes instead of just new textures on the base body? Because that's what all Deluxe skins do. Is it the quality? Because these are all equally high quality. Is it the animated textures? Because many of them have animated textures. Is it the extra attachment? Because all of these come with attachments, Syandanas, and/or weapon skins. Is it the metallic accents? Because most deluxes have the same accenting. Is it the price point? Because without the 6 RA these skins end up being around the same $10-15 you'd pay for the 150-265p needed to buy any other Deluxe. Is it because of the timing? Because the Proto Excalibur Deluxe skin was originally released to celebrate the game's anniversary and was later made permanent with all the other Deluxes. Is it the paired theme? Because the Volt/Mesa skins are paired the same way, and they're a particularly great comparison since they too came alongside a then-new cosmetic type: the evolving Protovyre armor set. All for plat.

What is it, besides the cash only nature and the manufactured exclusivity, that makes the Heirloom skins any different from any other Deluxe skin?

adding insult to injury.

DEX its usually better quality and free than prime accessories, for example:

PD: sorry for giant image

Dex Operator and Drifter Suit

Free-Wisp-Dex-Skin-in-Warframe-Feature.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, prodi1600 said:

adding insult to injury.

DEX its usually better quality and free than prime accessories, for example:

PD: sorry for giant image

Dex Operator and Drifter Suit

Free-Wisp-Dex-Skin-in-Warframe-Feature.png

but how does that add insult to injury? isnt that an example of the opposite of greed? 

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 2

I really don't like FOMO. 

I know Supporter packs are a thing, and I have even purchased some of them too. Rarely have the Supporter packs I have seen, been Warframe skins. The ones I personally brought, just had some exclusive weapon skins. Personally? FOMO doesn't affect me too much. I do take breaks from Warframe, but they are never so long, that I need to worry about missing stuff, and I have enough disposable income, if I did have urges, I could sate them, but I also know enough about FOMO and how it interacts with people, to sort of not be influenced by it too much, anymore. 

The reason FOMO can bother me, for non personal reasons, is for reasons such as DE's reputation. It actually felt good when recommending the game to people, to point out or explain how they are relatively unusual and a lot ,ore consumer friendly and ethical with their practices than a lot of other video games. There are a lot of sources to go to, to illustrate this, DE employees talking candidly about their game and decision making processes, values around transparency, admitting and acknowledging when they have misstepped and attempted corrections, making amends and so on. Now, for myself personally, the Heirloom skins don't leave a permanent scar or anything more severe, but does feel like a hefty bruise. Overall I am still mostly positive about Warframes future, but I can empathise with people a bit more p!!!!!ed off. 

Also as far as recommendations, Mag is one of my fav 'underrated' Warframes, I have spent a fair bit of Plat and the way I get some of my Plat is with real world currency (I suck as a trader), but I would personally feel bad getting the Mag skin, and having someone in the future ask me about my Mag fashion, to have to tell them "sorry, you can't have this". Yeah sure, that already exists with some weapon skins (and a certain Warframe that is contextually very different). I had a friend ask about the Zobov Shotgun Skin, that thing is dope. I wish it was an actual shotgun, felt a bit bad telling them its gone, and then I sort of realised how that sucked. Way more people generally ask me about my Warframe fashion frame though, way more people seem to care about Warframe skins. I also know there are some other exceptions, like uh the Rubedo Rhino and the super shiny Vauban as well as maybe some console exclusive skins?!?

Regardless... I really don't like this precedent. Even with Supporter packs limited exclusivity, most I have experience lasted around a year! If the prices are going to be so steep, could at least give more people time to save up. Gets a bit depressing seeing people mention how if they start to save now, they should be able to purchase them in December. I personally have gotten a few Prime Accessories, and I consider myself extremely fortunate to be in a position where I can. What can I say, I really liked some of the armour sets that come with Prime Accessories. I also know that they eventually return and cheaper. Even reminded a friend when Inaros Primed Armour set eventually made its way back to availability, at a more affordable price. Can't do that with these Heirloom skins. 

Decisions like this, make it a bit harder for me to recommend the game to new people, because I may have to start giving disclaimers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

but how does that add insult to injury? isnt that an example of the opposite of greed? 

On the topic of greed, let me ask you a question I saw asked on the subreddit:

Let's say there's an $89.99 plat bundle that gives some amount of plat. For what reason should I not be able to spend the $89.99 of plat I just bought to buy the contents of a bundle valued at the same $89.99? DE has made the same $89.99 from me, after all. What is the purpose of cash-only exclusives like Supporter Packs when plat, purchased with the same money, already exists? You could say that it's because players can trade plat, but even plat obtained through trade is backed against a real cash purchase made in the past. For what reason must players who have already paid not be allowed to use what they've already paid for?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

On the topic of greed, let me ask you a question I saw asked on the subreddit:

Let's say there's an $89.99 plat bundle that gives some amount of plat. For what reason should I not be able to spend the $89.99 of plat I just bought to buy the contents of a bundle valued at the same $89.99? DE has made the same $89.99 from me, after all. What is the purpose of cash-only exclusives like Supporter Packs when plat, purchased with the same money, already exists? You could say that it's because players can trade plat, but even plat obtained through trade is backed against a real cash purchase made in the past. For what reason must players who have already paid not be allowed to use what they've already paid for?

because they make more money by charging cash. its simple. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

14 minutes ago, (PSN)rexis12 said:

All I'm saying is that I can't wait for them to start making Skins only for Cash for 'Special' events if this goes through.

"Of course this new Skin is for cash only, it's 'Insert Important Day' today so it makes sense this will be cash only!"

Introducing the Umbra Weapon line. For $150.00 USD you can complete your arsenal with special high performance Umbra variations of some of your favourite Warframe weapons, with new bonuses and power, with a refined sleek ebony, and a gold finish. With optional little scarfs, and each being Voidshell! Umbra Bramma, (with unlimited ammo) Umbra Ignis, (it literally shoots Embers at enemies!) and Umbra Catchmoon (its like the unnerfed Catchmoon, but even stronger!). These new Umbra weapons will also granted twice as much Mastery!! Though don't tell anyone about it, it will be our little secret, buy you can get to higher MR than others, wink, wink. 

This is a limited time offer though. You must buy today or you will miss out, FOREVER! 

I am jesting of course, but yeah... Its a bit concerning. 

• Like 5

Just now, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Introducing the Umbra Weapon line. For $150.00 USD you can complete your arsenal with special high performance Umbra variations of some of your favourite Warframe weapons, with new bonuses and power, with a refined sleek ebony, and a gold finish. With optional little scarfs, and each being Voidshell! Umbra Bramma, (with unlimited ammo) Umbra Ignis, (it literally shoots Embers at enemies!) and Umbra Catchmoon (its like the unnerfed Catchmoon, but even stronger!). These new Umbra weapons will also granted twice as much Mastery!! Though don't tell anyone about it, it will be our little secret, buy you can get to higher MR than others, wink, wink. 

This is a limited time offer though. You must buy today or you will miss out, FOREVER! 

lol.

Probably not that far, but my immediate thought would be.

Celebrate the day you woke up from your Second Dream Tenno with this new Operator pack. Remember the day you woke up from the dream and truly became a part of Warframe with this new 120$ pack with 2 Operator exclusive skins, 600 plat and 6 regal Aya.

or hell even

The New War may be a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean we should forget. This ack gives remembrance to the struggle against the Sentients alongside the timely appearance of our Drifter. Insert Pack contents here.

• Like 4

I feel the need to point something out. To those that are arguing that the Heirloom Collection is the equivalent of the original Founders packs...it's not.

For starters, buying the old top tier Founders Pack granted a functional Warframe and two weapons to kill stuff with. This was released to get players to help support the game's development at a financially critical moment in DE's history.

The Heirloom Collection grants purely cosmetic items and some extra stuff that can be used to get warframes and / or weapons. This was released to commemorate an anniversary and make some extra money.

The two things are not the same. In fact the Heirloom Collection is closer to an overpriced Prime Accessory Pack available through Prime Access (the comparison fits because Prime Accessories made available through Prime Access can only be bought with real money).

Consider also that very recently DE dumped $200K of spare funds on a charity AND hosted a really expensive convention (easily running in the thousands) in which they gave away prizes that probably weren't cheap to acquire. That should be a huge clue that DE is not a company that's really hurting for funds anymore.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

That's on p2w level and I can't recommend it to anyone 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

As someone that’s played Warframe since mid 2013, I’ve spent at least $1k in real money to acknowledge and say thank you to DE’s efforts at giving us a high quality f2p gaming experience.

I haven’t always agreed with DE’s design decisions, but it’s ultimately their game. I accept that and engage with elements of the game that I like.

I see an offer for something I like that I think is fairly priced? I’ll buy it.

IF there was a bundle for the cosmetics only and said bundle was offered for say $30-40 USD, I’d snap that up in a heartbeat because those cosmetics look amazing and the devs have been doing some good work lately.

I will not get any of the current bundles. Why?

I already have Frost Prime and Mag Prime…so the Aya is worthless to me. Likewise for the plat. For me, the main bundle is a waste of money.

That said, I’m disappointed that there’s no option to get only the cosmetics. That’s all I want.

I’m also disappointed that this bundle has an arbitrary expiration date to push players with impulse control issues to buy asap.

I’d expect this kind of greedy, manipulative behavior from Activision/Blizzard and Bungie…not DE. They can - and have in the past - done better than this.

Agreed. Even with the combined amount of discounts, I'm gonna say that I've spent enough money amounting to the same price as this pack. That's not enough to be a supporter? If you look at that way there's something skeevy and it magnifies the FOMO feel of the whole thing.

5 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

The most sensible option is not touch pricing on current bundles, but rather include more stuff in them.

I have no problems with this. I'm actually easy to please. If this was a bundle of many skins besides just Frost and Mag, then I'd actually consider it more of a good deal. If the other 7 original warframes (Volt, Loki, Ember, Excal, etc.) are in this bundle, then I'd see the novelty and the significance of it. I'm pretty sure with that amount of skins it's on par with buying that many skins available 24/7 ingame.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

That they decided to and released them in cash packs only, just like Prime Accessories that are stuff with metallic materials that use gold. That is the only truth there is to it: they have commited to launching this stuff money only, just like Prime stuff, because their value, being digital items, is no different than other stuff in the game, the production cost is the same: paying the devoloper involved.

more like gree[DE]

Literally the ten year anniversary and instead of celebrating this freaking wonderful amazing game that has been beloved by fans for a majority of its existence they decide to listen to the tencent pillagers and ruin what was supposed to be special event to celebrate everything theyve created.

The writing was on the wall folks, with the whole regal aya fiasco, and them pushing out mobile frame.

Their obviously feeling pressure from tencent suits to make more money and I pray to wally that when they see all the feedback they respond positively and stop listening to the loot goblins.

You made this game DE not the people asking you to trade good will for a quick lump sum.
I'm not mad I'm just disappointed.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

No. Actually, what you are now doing is the opposing side of what some of you are saying DE is doing: being predatory and unreasonable. These are once in 10 year items and trying to cheap out on them is just as disrespectful. $60 without Regal Aya sounds fair to me. Everything else in that package has a strong showing of value.

Fair enough I suppose, but I don't think being "disrespectful" matters here, given the stunt they are trying to pull, hurting feelings is the least of our worries right now.

Edited by Circle_of_Psi
  • Like 6