Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A mage Warframe would pair perfectly with the new grimoire!

(XBOX)Lord ChibiVR

Since DE announced the new grimoire, I thought that maybe it would be cool to have a full on spellcasting based frame. 

I know we already have Nekros, Lavos, and Wisp as "official" spellcasters, but imagine a frame that is similar to Lavos's passive, but instead, we have 4 "spells", and mashing them together in different orders would produce different results. 

Each ability could be tied to an element like wind, water, or earth etc. (like in the game Magicka) or an elemental damage type such as toxin, heat, cold etc. (like Lavos) and there would be like a total of around 8 different abilities.

Each of these could also have minor differences in damage types and ability effects (also like Magicka) depending on minor differences of the order of abilities you use. (For example, I cast a beam spell, but I imbue it with fire, not lightning, or I shoot a rock that shattered into icy crystals, not acid).

And to tie it all in with the grimoire, the frame would release with one as it's signature weapon, which could also interact with the spells you cast (think anemo in genshin, where you make a little mini explosion and spread the element(s) {status effects} the attack comes in contact with). 

https://youtu.be/7UEGas63yL8?si=VjkJ1Y9AnMItlUyF 

(If you don't know what Magicka is).

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT
  • Like 4

wont lie, i actually had the same notion that a mage + entrati themed frame would be a fun idea , started trying to draft out some designs last week spur of the moment 

though imo it would probably be a void elemental frame or at least a frame chucking space magic like the grimoire did in the teaser. dosnt mean id be opposed to maybe a rune magic frame or circle caster using void energy to generate normal magic 

the entrati themed style imo 

Spoiler

ImageImage

• Like 3

Mages are ok I guess, but nobody wields more power with a book than a librarian: one "SSSSHHH" brings the room to a halt, and if you're late to return a book, it's like having John Wick AND doomguy after you.

15 minutes ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

that's... not bad actually! I assume the small circles are going to be the golden discs that we see on Entrati architecture? suppose it also needs some ability ideas: I'm thinking a kit that focuses on casting Hexes and creating ritual circles with various functions, think Vauban but magical! I'm theming the idea around some of the Requiem words and their meanings (Jahu = Form, Vome = Order, Ris = Light and Netra = Decay)

Jahu's Blessings: create a large hex area with two functions based on cast type; tap to create an area that damages enemies over time, hold to create a Ritual Circle with a protective barrier that will block shots from the outside and discourage enemies from stepping onto it.

Vome's Justice: casts a spell that converts nearby enemies into allies, for each ally that is killed, the nearest enemy to that victim takes heavy Void damage in retaliation.

Touch of Ris: a spell that covers a wide area with blinding light. enemies attacking the player are blinded, enemies attacking other allies or objectives are slowed, all enemeis affected become more vulnerable to heat damage and have a chance to self-ignite them with ethereal void-fire.

Wrath of Netra: a powerful spell that begins to drain the health of all enemeis in the vicinity: when an enemy decays to death, it leaves a decaying pool at that location that causes even more damage over time and reduces enemy armor.

as for a name... "Scrybe" sounds kinda neat to me, but I'm not that good at naming things lol.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Mages are ok I guess, but nobody wields more power with a book than a librarian: one "SSSSHHH" brings the room to a halt, and if you're late to return a book, it's like having John Wick AND doomguy after you.

that's... not bad actually! I assume the small circles are going to be the golden discs that we see on Entrati architecture? suppose it also needs some ability ideas: I'm thinking a kit that focuses on casting Hexes and creating ritual circles with various functions, think Vauban but magical! I'm theming the idea around some of the Requiem words and their meanings (Jahu = Form, Vome = Order, Ris = Light and Netra = Decay)

Jahu's Blessings: create a large hex area with two functions based on cast type; tap to create an area that damages enemies over time, hold to create a Ritual Circle with a protective barrier that will block shots from the outside and discourage enemies from stepping onto it.

Vome's Justice: casts a spell that converts nearby enemies into allies, for each ally that is killed, the nearest enemy to that victim takes heavy Void damage in retaliation.

Touch of Ris: a spell that covers a wide area with blinding light. enemies attacking the player are blinded, enemies attacking other allies or objectives are slowed, all enemeis affected become more vulnerable to heat damage and have a chance to self-ignite them with ethereal void-fire.

Wrath of Netra: a powerful spell that begins to drain the health of all enemeis in the vicinity: when an enemy decays to death, it leaves a decaying pool at that location that causes even more damage over time and reduces enemy armor.

as for a name... "Scrybe" sounds kinda neat to me, but I'm not that good at naming things lol.

What if it's like a mix between Lavos and Equinox? Like imagine a different ability for each requiem mod, or that we have all 8 mods, and putting 2-3 of them together creates different abilities. 

You could even make it one big ability wheel, where there's 8 abilities but only 4 of them are usable at a time, so you actually have to cycle between your different abilities instead of casting the same 2-3 of them (all of them are equally powerful instead of increasing in power).

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

What if it's like a mix between Lavos and Equinox? Like imagine a different ability for each requiem mod, or that we have all 8 mods, and putting 2-3 of them together creates different abilities. 

You could even make it one big ability wheel, where there's 8 abilities but only 4 of them are usable at a time, so you actually have to cycle between your different abilities instead of casting the same 2-3 of them (all of them are equally powerful instead of increasing in power).

I guess, but the problem with frames like Lavos is that it can feel clunky at the best of times. the more functions there are, the harder it is to be able to perform each one specifically, especially on a controller. Lavos got me doing gang signs on my controller in Survivals as it is XD. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

yes i was using deimos stuff as ingame reference and the gold circles are supposed to iirc represent coins , surround yourself in your wealth in life & death was what i recall the mentality was from tennocon art panel so i was playing with designs and layout, seemed a deimos witch or sorceress seemed easier for me to draw , my 1st draftt reminded me of hydroids deluxe to much so draft 2 i went feminine.

kit sounds fun , coul also add a rotation buttons and or combine like lavos the glyphs to form spells maybe , i dunno still playing with designs xD 

12 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I would have preferred the weapon for our operators/drifters if I am being honest as an alternative to amps.

But i wouldn't mind a mage/wizard style option where you can "prepare" spells before hand.

I thought the book would be for operator/drifter , give them actual "space magic" and then maybe more to their ingame kit , sadly it just a weapon for frames 

• Like 1

so a nerd book worm frame to sum it down?  Sure y not, we already have werewolf frame, we got ghost frame, necromancer frame, and hell bunch of random sack potatoes being tossed around into Mad House, I don't see more harm into it anyway for we already have a dragon frame for we still demand rebalance fire breath but whatever give them more work.  Noted I would but I can't due DE is the one making it.

Edited by ChaoticEdge
  • Like 1

In my opinion, we already have a bunch of mage frames, they're just not wearing robes nor wizard hats.  Ember lights everything on fire.  Frost freezes everything.  Nyx takes control of people's minds.  And so on.  These are all basically magic.

And as enjoyable as the Magicka systems can be, I don't think just taking the mechanics from Magicka and slapping them on a frame is a good basis for the design of a frame.  Especially if the frame was themed as a spellcaster, that would just seem like ripping off a different studio's game.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

And as enjoyable as the Magicka systems can be, I don't think just taking the mechanics from Magicka and slapping them on a frame is a good basis for the design of a frame.  Especially if the frame was themed as a spellcaster, that would just seem like ripping off a different studio's game.

I'm not saying an exact 1 to 1 copy. I meant something similar to Lavos's passive but instead of it making secondary elements, you get different abilities from combining them.

On 2023-09-04 at 6:03 PM, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Grimoire weapon you say? I hope we get this kind of weapon one day...

Sega called, they said that PSO2 has had that weapon for over a decade.

I'm not sure "mage" would be the right word when describing that kind of frame since that can be a bit vague, but rather "wizard".  It would be interesting to see, although the tricky part would be determining the abilities in ways that could be a bit unique and isn't a case of "Lavos, but magic".

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2023-09-05 at 12:07 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

On 2023-09-04 at 11:31 PM, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

*DE takes notes*

some time later

*Dante*

• Like 4