Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I would throw money at a non-humanoid Warframe alarmingly quickly.

(XBOX)Architect Prime

Noting 'The lore disagrees' really isn't an argument, because DE writes the lore, and they've very much used a soft sci-fi element that comes with a 'I do what I want' permit. The Orokin's technological abilities go up to and as of recently include literal magic. If the Orokin wanted to have a human turned into a Warframe take on a quadrupedal gait, have multiple arms, or be a literal tree, I'm sure they could. 

However, do not underestimate the 'amount of work' argument. Quite apart from the technical aspect of making a whole new set of animations for everything, a fairly pertinent question is thus:

If the Warframe walks on all fours, where does it hold the gun? How does it use Melee?

8 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Eh, that's not very furry

That's kinda what I meant...  (The image was meant to prove that not everyone is a furry.)

VRChat has both weebs that use anime avatars and furries. 

And no, having cat ears does not make an anime character a furry since they're still human as opposed to a humanoid animal.

(Fun fact, the picture is actually something I took in VRChat).

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

You Shouldnt Have Ben Stiller GIF

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

That's kinda what I meant...  (The image was meant to prove that not everyone is a furry.)

VRChat has both weebs that use anime avatars and furries. 

And no, having cat ears does not make an anime character a furry since they're still human as opposed to a humanoid animal.

(Fun fact, the picture is actually something I took in VRChat).

Your shoulders are tense. You gotta loosen up!

• Like 1

Just posting to meet the "furry that plays VRC" quota 😼

To OPs point - while it would be nice to have some quadruped or "non-humanoid" frame, it breaks all other existing mechanics and meshes, meaning there would have to be some significant overhaul to all cosmetics to work with this new model correctly (or in a way that does not have horrendous clipping and look terrible). It would be a whole new thing that would take years of development, and likely is not worth the effort outside of the "this seems real cool" factor.

I'd rather just take a Warframe with a nice fur shader, all of them right now have some combination of metallic, cloth, or alien-adjacent vibes depending on which it is. Which to be fair is fine and they still look nice, albeit "samey" in terms of materials - which also isn't "bad", it makes sense for the lore and the purpose they serve, and each frame already has distinct silhouettes and (mostly) memorable lore, abilities, and appearance.

It might help if they updated their fur shader (or application of it, rather) in general too, there's lots of complaints about it on pets: 

• Like 1

Yeah, so... I think the big misunderstanding with this whole thread is that it's not the player base on the Forums saying that it's 'too much work' for doing a non-humanoid frame.

The people who said that were DE.

We had the full run-down by them when there was a section on their DevStream about it.

So, the Quadruped enemies in the game are incredibly limited, in terms of what the skeleton can do, basic things like their walk cycles, collisions, pathing and so on. DE pointed out that they struggled with enemies like the Kuva Liches, because basic things like them being in Railjacks actually meant they couldn't use the gunner seats, since their skeleton wasn't rigged to be able to do that without contorting them like a Bethesda glitch. Even Grendel, with the stomach mesh and Pulverise ball, had to be based on an actually separate animation skeleton from the other frames.

Making a quadruped player frame, even one that spends most of its time as a normal frame and then only bursts of time as a transformation, is apparently such an in-depth thing that DE had to override one of the player-driven votes on a community Warframe design that featured a transforming mode to make them a quadruped.

We're not against the idea, far from it (although we've seen how janky it could be with the Kaithes).

DE are against it, for now.

Importantly; for now. They may turn around later, after Soulframe invents some new tech or after a quest they wanted to have a properly animated mode in, and introduce a non-humanoid Warframe.

But that's them, and only them, and nothing we say will influence it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

The people who said that were DE.

They've said a whole lot of things. But things change. Many, many things change.  

3 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

But that's them, and only them, and nothing we say will influence it.

It's kinda the opposite if history repeats. 

There might be other people who share this sentiment: I've seen a gazillion warframe releases, and aside from a handful of classics, the standouts are ones that deviate from the standard format. Wisp, for example, would be nothing without her unique movement system. "Vanilla" frames, going into the future, have to be incredibly beautiful and fun to be worth the effort for me as a veteran player. And with so many current frames for new players to choose from, advertising more of that same flavor has allot less shine than it did when the number of frames was like 10-20. So, I predict that it would be worth the trouble to make some crazier body shapes for frames in the future. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crazywolfpusher said:

I just hope the next year first Warframe is Orowyrm/Loong inspired.

2024 is the year of the dragon btw

JCSXA8v.jpg

year of the chroma rework :copium:

11 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Don't forget about taurs, such as a half mantis. I'm currently going througha mantis phase, where everything involving mantises is cool af. 

mmmrrgghh......what i would do for an actual insect frame.......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Karyst said:
On 2023-11-13 at 2:00 PM, (PSN)Unstar said:

When you're Grendel you're just a sphere, and I would say that counts as not being humanoid.

Exactly how is voruna a humanoid?

Did you perhaps reply to the wrong person?  I didn't say Voruna was humanoid.*

*Though she most definitely is humanoid according to every use of that term I've encountered in my life.  She's bipedal with two arms, two legs, torso, and head on top.  And generally speaking, that's the usage of humanoid I've encountered.  If anything, I would expect alternate definitions of the term to encompass even more types of creatures, in addition to those like Voruna.

If it helps, I found this page to be a helpful and interesting read, as it covers a lot of different usages of the term throughout a diversity of subject matters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid

18 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Wisp, for example, would be nothing without her unique movement system.

Yeah, see, this is the exact problem.

Wisp doesn't have a different movement system. It's the exact same one with some animations thrown in for the walk/run cycle.

It uses the same animation skeleton, the same everything else, just the walk/run cycle is different.

I can see DE expanding on all of that, giving us visually distinct and varied appearing frames. More of those things you like.

But it will be within that framework. It won't be the kind of thing people are asking for in this thread.

And that's upsetting because I wanted it too.

DE might get there, but it'll only happen after they've completely run out of ideas. Not because making animal-themed frames like spider-frames and stuff is a bad idea, but because that would probably involve making a completely new skeleton and rig, and boy are they ever going to try to avoid that. 

7 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

DE might get there, but it'll only happen after they've completely run out of ideas. Not because making animal-themed frames like spider-frames and stuff is a bad idea, but because that would probably involve making a completely new skeleton and rig, and boy are they ever going to try to avoid that. 

Didn't they do that with Grendel tho?

21 hours ago, RichardKam said:

*looking at Voruna, who does not run on all fours when using her 4*

She was so close to perfection. Shame. What a shame. 

And if she has released that way, she'd double as promo material ya. People love stand-outs and attractives. You combine those two things in some weirdo soup and it sells its self. Spirit > functionality. I'll master the things I like. 

2 hours ago, DrBorris said:

I feel like this just isn't intellectually honest on a Forum of exchanging ideas.

It's the inverse. Jumping straight to "it's too much work" is intellectually lazy, and a lie told to the self.