The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console players shouldn't be able to be hosts

Howdoipickaname

4 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

I don't think it has to be anything that drastic.  During Scarlet Spear, and in the old days of Railjack, it was possible to force host.  It is my belief that DE should look into adapting this system for further iterations upon crossplay.  I don't mind having a console player in the squad.  I just don't want them to be the host.

I don't remember forced hosting beyond the usual "who has better ping & hardware" that we have now.  

23 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I don't remember forced hosting beyond the usual "who has better ping & hardware" that we have now.  

Before the Railjack "plexus" rework, you could force host by launching a Railjack mission from your drydock.

During Scarlet Spear, you could opt to join someone else's Railjack, or host your own.  Both options were available from the special event relay.

59 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Before the Railjack "plexus" rework, you could force host by launching a Railjack mission from your drydock.

During Scarlet Spear, you could opt to join someone else's Railjack, or host your own.  Both options were available from the special event relay.

As far as I know, you can still do that.

But I do see what you're meaning and I think that would be a good option as well.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Although by now I imagine that most RJ missions are basically empty

They are.

Even the Veil is basically a uninhabited wasteland at this point. Why? Well, I guess it's one of two reasons; Option A) Everybody's got their ship maxed out (which I think is highly unlikely given the RNG), or Option B) people abandoned it because DE fails to understand that the whole point is having a spaceship is to use said ship and not just have it be a taxi for a regular on-foot mission.

On 2023-11-16 at 5:06 PM, Howdoipickaname said:

I am sick of these guys coming into long form missions and being host with AWFUL ping and then leaving after one run or one part of a bounty and leaving thus making me sit in the loading screen and more than likely bugging the run so I have to leave my mission and LOSE rewards or even have to alt f4 and restart the game. This is just a terrible issue that I'm sick of dealing with. Thoughts or counter points?

Its an elitest L take to pretend console players are the only ones with bad connections. 

If you're frequently running into bad connections maybe its YOUR internet being potato. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

I don't think it has to be anything that drastic.  During Scarlet Spear, and in the old days of Railjack, it was possible to force host.  It is my belief that DE should look into adapting this system for further iterations upon crossplay.  I don't mind having a console player in the squad.  I just don't want them to be the host.

Could you elaborate on this host forcing? I wasn't around during that period.

4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Could you elaborate on this host forcing? I wasn't around during that period.

You could scroll up a bit, as I've already addressed this. 

St Patricks Day Wink GIF

Cheekiness aside, I've pasted it below.  Apologies if my tone came off as hostile!

5 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

4 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

You could scroll up a bit, as I've already addressed this.

Cheekiness aside, I've pasted it below.  Apologies if my tone came off as hostile!

Nah, I didn't realize there was another page of posts (I entered via "last post" and keep forgetting this forum framework doesn't actually bring you to last post when you do so). So nothing super fancy or anything, just another oddity like how you can force the outdoor map on Index by joining queue from a relay instead of your orbiter.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA:

Its an elitest L take to pretend console players are the only ones with bad connections. 

If you're frequently running into bad connections maybe its YOUR internet being potato. 

It has nothing to do with connections, the problem is that Console hosts in generel have a much lower Spawnrate, what you can easy see ins stats from Sanctuary, it think its only 1/3 maybe 50% from PC spawnrate and no matter how bad the PC host is ore the connection there is always a 100% spawnrate. And the problem with it is tahts there are Missions, Warframes, Arkanas, Weapons,... where you need to Kill Enemys and wihtout Enemys they are Pain to Play. But i don't think a forced Host will fix it, that will only make new Problems like Hostmigration.

9 minutes ago, LuckyNecro said:

It has nothing to do with connections, the problem is that Console hosts in generel have a much lower Spawnrate, what you can easy see ins stats from Sanctuary, it think its only 1/3 maybe 50% from PC spawnrate and no matter how bad the PC host is ore the connection there is always a 100% spawnrate. And the problem with it is tahts there are Missions, Warframes, Arkanas, Weapons,... where you need to Kill Enemys and wihtout Enemys they are Pain to Play. But i don't think a forced Host will fix it, that will only make new Problems like Hostmigration.

It has everything to do with connection since OP is specifically talking about ping issues, not exclusive to console, not the spawns.

vor 19 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)C11H22O11:

It has everything to do with connection since OP is specifically talking about ping issues, not exclusive to console, not the spawns.

Sorry, i thinked it is about Spawnrates, but i can't find thes post about it that i have readed bevore... maybe i switched the section somehow without notice it.

• Like 1

On 2023-11-20 at 9:23 AM, LuckyNecro said:

You have proof for the claim that spawn rate is hard capped by what platform the host is on and has nothing to do with connection quality or speed? because this is the first time ive heard of it.

Even if that is true, then that's something DE should address by figuring out a way to make that not a thing.

And if they cant for some reason, id rather you fix the "problem" on your end by turning off cross platform play than have them change the parameters to set host by platform and not by connection quality because thats gonna cause problems for everyone, *including pc players*.

Heck I'm on PC and want the ability to tell it never to make me host on public games.  I've set myself as a laptop in settings even though that's not the case, and I guess that helps a little?  But I'm on a crappy ADSL connection with a perfectly adequate download, but an absolutely *pathetic* upload.  Frankly they're overcharging me but whatever.  That's what happens when ISPs are allowed to have local monopolies.

My computer is reasonably powerful, spawns plenty of enemies when I host and would be a perfectly capable host, but my upload is pure garbage until the fiber project that just started in my town gets to us - and assuming my landlord lets us hook up to it.

I try to cancel out any time it looks like it's making me host but I don't always get there in time.  So then half the time I've got someone complaining about severe latency and a crap host, or I'm stuck leaving and host migrating them.

I understand why they don't want to allow people to select to always be host if possible, but holy crap do some of us need the ability to *reject* hosting.  It's a bad experience for those who are connected to us, and frankly it's a bad experience for us knowing we're causing that, too.  I don't want to make the game frustrating for other people, but that's often what happens when I'm hosting anyone except my brother who is relatively local and on a fiber connection - and who also knows me and understands my connection's limitations when issues *do* arise.

I'd honestly rather run solo than host if there are no groups open.  Please, *please* stop assigning me as host just because no groups are open, instead give me the option to change to solo or wait for a group.  I'm happy to wait.  I am *not* happy to host.  I'd much rather be connected as a client to a weak console spawning nearly no enemies than be host and spawning massive amounts of enemies that nobody can do anything with because my connection can't send them the data to *do* anything with them.

Edited by Andvarja

Honestly it's a minor issue for most people involve. TBH the only people that have it super rough are people actually playing old gen consoles and the keep being matchmade with SSD next gen ppl that load back into their ship and have already loaded the mission before they even managed to get back to their orbiter... But there's very little they can do about this tbh.

Am 24.11.2023 um 21:43 schrieb (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA:

You have proof for the claim that spawn rate is hard capped by what platform the host is on and has nothing to do with connection quality or speed? because this is the first time ive heard of it.

Even if that is true, then that's something DE should address by figuring out a way to make that not a thing.

And if they cant for some reason, id rather you fix the "problem" on your end by turning off cross platform play than have them change the parameters to set host by platform and not by connection quality because thats gonna cause problems for everyone, *including pc players*.

It is with Saryns 1 god to see in elite Sanctuary where you have over the time of a week the same maps with spawns and it is comon to have hostmigrations there, where the enemyspawns get set to zero and erverything spawns new. But i can't say on witch platforms this is, since they have all the same icon, but always when i have a console host they have also the low spanrate.

Yes thats will be nice and thats what i hope they do.

I dosen't have say anything like that, i only say that this can be a problem. For me i fix this problem simply by playing Wukong ore some other Warframe without machanik when i join random groups and be fine with it. Besides its no problem to get a forced host, you need only to play with a friend that is also more fun than playing alone and Player 1 always get host (the one who sends the groupinvite).

What are this connection quality parameters?

My only problem with the console hosts are, they make the game slow and boring. The spawn rate is laughable, when you open relic in an endless mission, you barely have time to farm out relics, because the spawn rate. I hope they fix this. The ping is annoying too. Even if i turn on the 100ping limit there will be a player with poor PC or console and make the whole session lag like hell. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, (XBOX)R4ILGUN S said:

You can play solo

True. That is one way to guarantee you’ll host. At this stage in my Warframe experience, I often pick solo because it’s faster than the alternative. I swear I spend most of my public missions waiting at friendship doors or staring at my phone at extraction.  But there’s content that’s more rewarding in groups. I don’t want to run random fissures solo, as I only get one relic reward option to choose from.  I could disable crossplay, but then the matchmaking pool is so small I might as well be playing solo… just with the solo pause feature disabled.

Let’s hope DE continues to iterate upon crossplay beyond releasing cross-save.