Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Styanax the best support frame?

(PSN)Sentiel

Styanax can provide energy, shields, overshields, takes away aggro, can grant Overguard and with it also status immunity, and can defence strip enemies. He can't heal others and can't protect things like Excavators or Defence Targets. However, he can grant Overguard to NPCs and companions.

Is there any frame that provides the same or more?

• Like 1

Before this turns into a pissing contest, I'll simply say that other support frames offer both different things and those same things in different ways, and that the devil in the details of not just what they do but how they do it and to what magnitude will be important in determining what support frame any individual thinks is the best.

• Like 5

I think Wisp mains everywhere felt a disturbance in the force just now. She can actually heal, up your DPS and perma-stun trash mobs all with one ability. She's still in nearly every archon hunt i run, and many other modes as well.

I do love Styanax, and he IS a great support, but more so than Wisp? Eehhhh I dunno.. 

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Before this turns into a pissing contest, I'll simply say that other support frames offer both different things and those same things in different ways, and that the devil in the details of not just what they do but how they do it and to what magnitude will be important in determining what support frame any individual thinks is the best.

You're very much correct about this.

For example, Gara and Nezha can provide amazing Damage Reduction but they have to manually aim at the desired target, whereas Citrine provides the same to everyone around her, so she is naturally more pleasant to use if providing DR is your goal.

Depends.

Entirely on what you want to achieve with your support.

Wisp, for example, is not only one of the better Healing and Team Buffing frames, but also has a great area CC and can survive indefinitely with her personal invisibility and the option to instantly spam invincibility frames.

On the other hand, how about Sevagoth? Or at least his Helminth ability. Instantly slows enemies it contacts, over a massive radius, and offers all players in the radius life steal for damage dealt. His other abilities can boost damage dealt and he can even leave Gloom in place and still roam around and hard CC enemies while dealing really high damage to them as his Shadow.

Octavia can create massive areas of CC and aggro, help allies turn invisible, passively boost Multishot too, completely switch off enemy AI if that's wanted, and provide a wide area-of-effect damage boost to all allies. 

And... let's see, given the criteria, a Zephyr could even count quite well because of massive damage boosting, wide area CC, and even a complete shield to Ranged damage for the team that wants to camp-farm a Survival.

Gara? Shields for allies, wide area CC with damage boosting applied to it, can protect objectives as well as allies... 

Garuda? Yeah, sure, Blood Altar for healing and Seeking Talons for massive team-wide damage boosting.

Citrine? Definitely. Complete team-wide health recovery, damage reduction and both Status and DPS buffs (for weapons that work on condition/gundition overload), health and energy orb drops for other combos, and even a wide area CC that has a Crit buff.

But what about Frost? Because now (with the updated Cold Status) Frost can provide a damage prevention shield, wide area CC with Armour stripping, and Cold also provides a Crit buff now, so your damage will never be irrelevant. Can even provide Overguard to allies too with his augment.

Who else... Hydroid can provide massive area enemy Armour stripping, apply status, can use Augments to apply even more damage boosting status, clear ally Status effects and also provide Status immunity to them, heal allies for more Health than they can hold and even boost Loot drops. And that's on top of wide area CC too.

So...

Depends ^^

• Like 1

Stynax, as a tactical squad roll can be useful and beneficial, but I've seen plenty be crushed/killed easily . It all ends up with how well its layout/builds are and the person using it is a factor.

if you yourself cant make use of a frames talents, wont matter how good it is,in play it will just fall short. Likewise, if you use a frame with skill rather than innate talents, your abilities will be all the more apparent to others and will be regarded as such

plenty of frames offer support, defensive uses, arcanes /setups can also apply useful support to squads,  offensive frames can be strong with these if you understand the application and use them as such.   its simply ease of use and difficulty to attain its setup that make some have a harder learning curve. some aspects will also be on a case by case or what your squad needs if your going for record runs 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (PSN)Sentiel:

Styanax can provide energy, shields, overshields, takes away aggro, can grant Overguard and with it also status immunity, and can defence strip enemies. He can't heal others and can't protect things like Excavators or Defence Targets. However, he can grant Overguard to NPCs and companions.

Is there any frame that provides the same or more?

I like wisp better:

• more health + health reg. which scales extremely well with armor shards.
  • cc
  • attack faster.

and thanks to heaps of str, the others also benefit from dispensary.

but with styanax you probably also have to mod the range?

Edited by Venus-Venera

Most of Warframe's gameplay has evolved into "one-man-army content". Defining a support role is difficult, and what Styanax does is already cross-pollinated through several other kits (like how we saw friendly Overguard added to various abilities after the initial addition of the mechanic). You also need to consider the context in what your support role is assisting in. For example, Frost may not check all your boxes for Styanax, but he is the go to for many players when it comes to Defense/Mobile Defense/Excavation due to Snowglobe and Avalanche. 

Styanax is fine, but he's not some kind of standard.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Depends.

Entirely on what you want to achieve with your support.

Wisp, for example, is not only one of the better Healing and Team Buffing frames, but also has a great area CC and can survive indefinitely with her personal invisibility and the option to instantly spam invincibility frames.

On the other hand, how about Sevagoth? Or at least his Helminth ability. Instantly slows enemies it contacts, over a massive radius, and offers all players in the radius life steal for damage dealt. His other abilities can boost damage dealt and he can even leave Gloom in place and still roam around and hard CC enemies while dealing really high damage to them as his Shadow.

Octavia can create massive areas of CC and aggro, help allies turn invisible, passively boost Multishot too, completely switch off enemy AI if that's wanted, and provide a wide area-of-effect damage boost to all allies. 

And... let's see, given the criteria, a Zephyr could even count quite well because of massive damage boosting, wide area CC, and even a complete shield to Ranged damage for the team that wants to camp-farm a Survival.

Gara? Shields for allies, wide area CC with damage boosting applied to it, can protect objectives as well as allies... 

Garuda? Yeah, sure, Blood Altar for healing and Seeking Talons for massive team-wide damage boosting.

Citrine? Definitely. Complete team-wide health recovery, damage reduction and both Status and DPS buffs (for weapons that work on condition/gundition overload), health and energy orb drops for other combos, and even a wide area CC that has a Crit buff.

But what about Frost? Because now (with the updated Cold Status) Frost can provide a damage prevention shield, wide area CC with Armour stripping, and Cold also provides a Crit buff now, so your damage will never be irrelevant. Can even provide Overguard to allies too with his augment.

Who else... Hydroid can provide massive area enemy Armour stripping, apply status, can use Augments to apply even more damage boosting status, clear ally Status effects and also provide Status immunity to them, heal allies for more Health than they can hold and even boost Loot drops. And that's on top of wide area CC too.

So...

Depends ^^

no harrow saddens me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

Stynax, as a tactical squad roll can be useful and beneficial, but I've seen plenty be crushed/killed easily . It all ends up with how well its layout/builds are and the person using it is a factor.

Obviously the build and playstyle always need to be factored in while you play but that isn't a valid argument to judge a frame by. "I saw a several players play Styanax badly" isn't about the capabilities of the frame but the players struggling with the way they play. 

• Like 2

Styanax can't even support his own nipples, look how they droop and hang, like fleshy techno organic stalactites. 

Though yeah as already established, he is pretty good, but really depends on what you are after, in other areas. There are enough other variables in Warframe, that unless you create a very rigid criteria, notions around who is the best will always have a little bit of room for competition. In a subjective personal way, I tend to like lazy supports. Like Citrine, Lavos, Wisp. I do really like Protea as well, and Styanax and Trinity and Harrow and others but... see with the latter, you need to use your powers a bit more, at least the way I do. With Citrine and Lavos, their high base health, armour, DR etc Wisp you just put down a mote and can forget about it (at least in static missions. 

Citrine is probably the support I use most in most recent months, because most of the time I will PUG or play Warframe in the week, will be Archons, where perma death is a thing, so giving allies DR, and a steady supply of health and energy orbs, as well as passive health regen... Plus the CC and status priming... For Exterminate, not really an issue, but seems to help allies in Mobile Defence, Disruption a decent amount. I will swap her out for Vauban for Excavation and Equinox for Defence though.

• Like 4

On 2023-12-08 at 8:29 PM, SirKnum said:

Obviously the build and playstyle always need to be factored in while you play but that isn't a valid argument to judge a frame by. "I saw a several players play Styanax badly" isn't about the capabilities of the frame but the players struggling with the way they play. 

if I wanted to say it in that way id have done so, dont read into things so much tenno. 

Understand and recognize all cases and sides (good , neutral, bad) exist . recognizing that does not to denounce a frames capabilities  ,but that we understand styanx and other frames have said cases and its not fault of the frame. These should not be a reflection of capacity of players/frames as a whole. But we do understand various skill/equipment/mod levels exist, its just statistics ,and is bound to happen as an experience and should be understood its a case by case situation.

if players dont know how to use their equipment appropriately for effectiveness ,then something is amiss with the kit/build/mods/mechanics/ gating systems timing/buggy enemies/glitches/bugs occurring (in various ways). we as players should understand strong/weak points of frames on paper and in live play, as they dont always match in some cases

On 2023-12-08 at 4:18 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Garuda feels more like a damage amp frame to me Like Banshee. Her slash procs are insane but unless you melee immune she's squish.
Healing is also only useful if the others have good mitigation.

Also, Trinity is good for groups. Just give her Roar =D
Covers every base except CC.

Just now, (PSN)Sentiel said:

I said best support frame not best looking frame.

Not only can he support through damage buffs, but his fashion can provide moral support. Not to mention his secret passive of enemies not hitting him when vex armor is active. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

I said best support frame not best looking frame.

He can support! He can give allies extra Health, Shields, Armor, or Reload Speed. Just make sure to keep track of his position and stand reeeeeeeaaalllllllll close to him in this extremely fast paced game lol.

I've been trying for Support Chroma without Everlasting Ward and it's only kinda working. Dispensary at least picks up some slack 😅 

1 hour ago, Malikili said:

Not to mention his secret passive of enemies not hitting him when vex armor is active. 

The Office Crying GIF

"Please hit me." begged the Chroma to the Corrupted Butcher who is milliseconds away from getting Thermal Sunder'd by a Neon Orange Titania.

Edited by TeaHands
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, TeaHands said:

He can support! He can give allies extra Health, Shields, Armor, or Reload Speed. Just make sure to keep track of his position and stand reeeeeeeaaalllllllll close to him in this extremely fast paced game lol.

I've been trying for Support Chroma without Everlasting Ward and it's only kinda working. Dispensary at least picks up some slack 😅 

The Office Crying GIF

"Please hit me." begged the Chroma to the Corrupted Butcher who is milliseconds away from getting Thermal Sunder'd by a Neon Orange Titania.

I now understand why a Chroma player was hating on me for using Styanax some time ago. Styanax steals enemy aggro so they didn't attack Chroma.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

...wait...giving Chroma Overguard probably screws him up as well. Damn! I swear to Odin this is the ONLY game where buffing someone causes negative results.

Edited by (PSN)Sentiel
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

I now understand why a Chroma player was hating on me for using Styanax some time ago. Styanax steals enemy aggro so they didn't attack Chroma.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

...wait...giving Chroma Overguard probably screws him up as well. Damn! I swear to Odin this is the ONLY game where buffing someone causes negative results.

"If you or a Chroma main is suffering from 'Overguard', talk to your doctor about Combat Discipline."

Yeah if I'm going Pub I gotta roll with the CD. Seriously the only game I know where you have to have workarounds planned for unexpected support lol.

• Like 1

1.As far as standalone support goes, I'd say Revenant is definitely the best support with his augment. He provided affinity wide immortality with no cd and also CC's opponents to make them easier to hit, while providing status and knockdown immunity and all in one skill. Also does the same at level cap. You can take any helmith to meke him give you damage or something else (I prefer nourish, because everyone can spam their skills all day long with the 400+% ability power (in Circuit it pretty much means free level cap for your entire team, provided they don't leave. Roar or shared eclipse also works great. WIth his one he can heal defence objectives to full in 1 sec when he captures a leech eximus. While also taking away agro on multiple fronts.

2.As far as general standalone support goes, I like Gara with nourish. Your whole team can go afk for all she cares, and things will be dying just as quick, though this is mostly while camping. Everyone will be a walking or standing black hole that can't die. Sadly 99% of people can't play Gara properly or don't have the discipline to do so. That is why Gara goes under the radar of most people.

3.Wisp is most people's number 1 since she pretty much makes you immortal at everywhere except level cap, while boosing your movement and attack speed to near volt levels. She can also full strip OR provide you the whole team with infinite energy thanks to archon stretch and nourish, Or solo anything while giving a satisfing effect as support.

4.While Stynax can do a lot, I think he suffers from being unable to do many thing properly at the same time. Armor stripping has limited range and angle, Overshields and overguard is great, but I don't think it scales as good in later levels. Being unable to protect defense targets pretty much excludes him from the running for best support altogether. He could fit right in with any other support to make a great combo though.

17 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

if I wanted to say it in that way id have done so, dont read into things so much tenno. 

So both of your posts boil down to say that it all depends on how you use it. That is at least partially true but also completely irrelevant to a forum thread discussing the capabilities of different warframes in a support role. See Vendominus posts for an example how to properly weigh pros and cons of different frames in a comparison without basing it all on how well a player uses the frame.

And if you struggle to survive with Styanax you are doing it wrong, plain and simple. Intrepid Stand offers you Overguard while you are using his 4th ability that refreshes several times per second while you build up shields and overshields thanks to his third ability, offering you near infinite invincibility frames from gating.

For me when it comes to best support overall it has been Citrine since her release.

No intrusive buffs (hello Wisp).

Passive small healing that requires little to get rolling where needed.

A straight DR buff with affinity range that builds to max through everyones actions.

An abundance of orb spawns through a very cheap skill. Scales with several different gearing options and also syncs with several other gearing options, no matter if you've grabbed those things from mods, pets, shards, arcane or frames. Plus the orbs are there to be picked up when needed and not really wasted on nothing.

Grants a status chance buff which is powerful even with low strength. Plus the same skill also deals quite reliable damage and inflicts a multitude of statuses that end up increasing crit damage, lower armor, pin enemies down with CC and so on.

Can get even further supporty by swapping her 4 for Nourish for even better return on energy orbs, or grab more CC through Breach Surge or perhaps poop on Eximus with Silence.

The girl is a mean mofo.