Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

OK, let's settle this once and for all, who is faster? (Gauss vs. Volt)

so now that Gauss Prime is out, and an increase in his base sprint speed, I'm curious if anyone has done any tests yet to see which frame is faster: to my knowledge it was originally Volt, but maybe that's changed now? if anyone has timed runs of them or other footage, I'd love to see it. also feel free to share Gauss/Volt builds and share what you love about them both in general, consider this thread a place for all things speed!

Speeding Evan Peters GIF by 20th Century Studios

I thought Gauss's speed boost was mostly visual FOV jank to make it appear fast, and Volt has actual speed

Either way, according to my experiences it's easy to out-race most Gausses or Volts with just a parkour-speed mod, not to mention other kinds of speed boosts like a Nova portal or a Zephyr flight boost

• Like 5

it's the same as it always has been. Gauss is faster for short burst distances, and Volt or other Warframes with general speed buffs, for longer extended distances.
wasn't this common knowledge already? idk

oh also it's easier for other Warframes to scale their capabilities than for Gauss. Gauss has to stack Sprint Speed which is harder to stack than Ability Strength plus a bit of Sprint Speed on the side.

Edited by taiiat

1 hour ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

so now that Gauss Prime is out, and an increase in his base sprint speed, I'm curious if anyone has done any tests yet to see which frame is faster: to my knowledge it was originally Volt, but maybe that's changed now? if anyone has timed runs of them or other footage, I'd love to see it. also feel free to share Gauss/Volt builds and share what you love about them both in general, consider this thread a place for all things speed!

Iirc it's still volt but the real MVP is still Titania followed by Nova.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Gauss is faster in almost all situations. 322 strength + infested mobility + innodem + sprint speed mods. Hardly anyone will be able to catch you indoors and outdoors. Of course people use titania and archwings so don't expect to beat them, though its possible in some tilesets.

I Don't really care anymore (Hopper doesn't care about which is faster? what universe is this?) but seriously...I'm happy with how fast He runs with a functional build...If I want to outrun Volt in an established race I can subsume Molt on him.

How about that Character development? Hollywood could never!

Edited by Qorvex99

6 hours ago, pisces13 said:

Gauss is faster in almost all situations. 322 strength + infested mobility + innodem + sprint speed mods.

On paper Volt is still faster, since his 2 is just that ridiculously powerful and stacks multiplicatively with everything you mentioned

In practice, both Volt and Gauss will slam into walls before either of them get close to top speed

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

On paper Volt is still faster, since his 2 is just that ridiculously powerful and stacks multiplicatively with everything you mentioned

In practice, both Volt and Gauss will slam into walls before either of them get close to top speed

In practice, Gauss has a higher ability to control his speed when used for combat. He goes from 0-100 in milliseconds, which gives him the edge in indoor tilesets. Volt may have the greater multiplier for speed buffs, especially how momentum carries in the game with parkor buffs. In practice it doesn't work well. Gauss can have both speed and effectiveness in all mission types while on the move, blitzing everything.

4 hours ago, Aruquae said:

Titania banned from competing I see

That’s fine I guess, Gauss and Volt would be coughing in her dust

🙃 Titania is quite slow without that razorwing augment.  But ya running cannot equate to flying. That's why wukong has an edge over most grounded frames. His speed carries and doesn't need to slow down at all during cloud walker. 

4 minutes ago, pisces13 said:

🙃 Titania is quite slow without that razorwing augment.  But ya running cannot equate to flying. That's why wukong has an edge over most grounded frames. His speed carries and doesn't need to slow down at all during cloud walker. 

That is true, this is a foot race.

A shame it wasn’t just a ground race, I think Grendel would’ve done great too

On a different note, we should also have a max strength Wisp for even more speed

11 hours ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

You're comparing a formula one to a rally car. Whoever is faster depends on the racing track.

I’d say it’s more like formula one (Volt) vs a drag car (Gauss). One is better for maneuvering while the other will be faster in a straight line.

But that’s only if you’re building both specifically for speed. With an actual mission build, Volt is faster since it scales with strength instead of sprint speed.

3 minutes ago, Voltz said:

I’d say it’s more like formula one (Volt) vs a drag car (Gauss). One is better for maneuvering while the other will be faster in a straight line.

But that’s only if you’re building both specifically for speed. With an actual mission build, Volt is faster since it scales with strength instead of sprint speed.

I think you meant formula 1: gauss

Drag car: volt

Also Gauss wins in mission speeds since IM exists. He is sitting at extraction point while everyone is still waiting for marker to pop up.

Edited by pisces13

8 minutes ago, Voltz said:

I admit I know next to nothing about cars. My analogy was supposed to point out the fact that Gauss can't handle uneven terrain and loses a lot of time and momentum having to navigate it, whereas Volt doesn't have this issue but won't perform as well on long and mostly flat terrain.

I suppose we're trying to say the same thing.

Personally, I prefer Volt because he can buff and support his team through various means. Gauss might be the fastest from his group but that just means he has to wait on the extraction for everyone else.