Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Tennokai Mod? [poll]

sly_squash

12 minutes ago, quxier said:

on heavies that are not needed and takes time (yes, tennokai doesn't speed up heavy attack itself)

- looking for enemies to hit

I agree with this. 

Rather than build for/use a slot to speed up heavy attacks to make Tennokai worthwhile I just pull the trigger on a ranged weapon to delete whatever is in front of me. 

Tennokai is supposed to boost melee but it's approaching it wrong impo. 

Arcade slot? Yes, good Updates.

Exilus Slot? Yes, good Update. 

Random chance to unleash a free heavy attack that typically misses, gets dodged/ignored, or triggers once everything is dead/almost all dead? Eh .......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aerikx said:

1. Melee should just have an Exilus slot, period. 

Any particular reason? 

22 minutes ago, quxier said:

tennokai doesn't speed up heavy attack itself

Not sure what you mean.  It certainly affects wind-up, and I don't see how you could say that isn't part of the "heavy attack itself".

Although you might have a harder time telling the difference between Tennokai heavies and regular heavies with weapons that already have quick heavy attacks, innately or from wind-up mods.

• Like 3

I think a lot of people are looking at tennokai from the wrong perspective.  

• Is it a buff intended to make melee a bit more powerful?  Sure, a little bit.  But really that's more the job of the new melee arcanes.
  • At its core I think tennokai is really intended to make melee combat a bit more interactive, skill-oriented, and exciting.  

This is because:

• We didn't used to have "hold to melee" so melee combat used to require lots of button presses and a bit of timing to execute combos and keep the damage flowing.
  • Now we have "hold to melee" so the combos execute automatically and all we have to do is hold a single button down.

Obviously just holding the button down and letting the game take care of all the timings required to keep combos flowing reduces the interactivity, lowers the skill cap, and can get a bit boring.

Tennokai helps spruce things up a bit.  It rewards players who are paying attention and quick to react with powerful blows boasting a reasonably  large aoe that don't drain combo.  This is especially nice for activating melee incarnon weapon modes without losing combo, but it's also a nice perk to help down tanky enemies quickly as well as to see those big numbers we all like to see more often.

Personally, I like tennokai.  I just finished slotting tennokai (and the new melee arcanes) on every melee weapon in the game and I do think it helps a lot in ensuring even the more mediocre weapons can still kill stuff.

Edited by sly_squash
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, quxier said:

I'm just saying that "late game player" has much more possibilities to do same or more damage in MORE RELIABLE WAY. Say you have armor strip, for example Styanax. You press a key, you use 25 energy and everyone in front of you have even 95+% ehp removed. You just need energy (which shouldn't be big problem at this stage) and you can use it everywhere (well... except some enemies & such).

Tennokai? Except "on 4th" you have only chance. I had killed 20-40 enemies before it appeared. It increases your DPS if you get it. Otherwise you are wasting time:

At first I read your response and I really didn't understand where you were coming from.  But after giving it some re-reads, I think I can see how you and I look at Tennokai in meaningfully differently ways, and how that is meaningfully impacting how we both feel about it.

From reading your reply, it sounds like you want to treat Tennokai as a tool, something that you can use when you feel like you need it.  And since Tennokai isn't accessible on-demand, it fails to fulfill this role for you.

For me, I think of Tennokai the same way I think about critical hits: sometimes it will happen, sometimes it won't happen, but statistically it's a bump to my DPS.  Tennokai isn't something I actively "try to get", but rather something that conveniently falls into my lap sometimes when I'm already doing the melee combat that I love to do. And if there's ever a situation where I don't think a Tennokai attack would help me right now, I'm under no obligation to use my Tennokai procs.  In this way, Tennokai is always increasing my DPS without any downside, and because of that I enjoy it.

Does it feel like I'm accurately understanding your perspective?

I can't say for sure whether this relates, but it also might affect my perspective that I like the feel of the heavy attacks with my weapons.  Bos, hammers, nunchaku, nikana...I like the feel of their normal attacks, but periodically doing these massively strong heavy attacks can feel good, too!

And part of why I like the feel of these attacks might be that on most of my melee weapons I'm using Melee Influence, which means that when I get a Tennokai proc, the damage from that heavy attack hits every enemy within 20m multiple times.  So when Tennokai procs, I get to see every foe within a 20m radius crumple to the ground, just for pressing a button.

But again, that's just my perspective, and it isn't meant to invalidate yours.  Rather, I just like to try to understand what's going on when some people love something but other people dislike it.

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

Any particular reason? 

There are plenty of Melee Mods that could be converted into Exilus mods that would bestow melee combat with meaningful and impactful growth. 

So an Exilus slot alone already provides a reasonable growth in power.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aerikx said:

There are plenty of Melee Mods that could be converted into Exilus mods that would bestow melee combat with meaningful and impactful growth. 

So an Exilus slot alone already provides a reasonable growth in power.

Is your view particular to melee, or do you think exilus slots should be free on weapons and/or frames  and so on in general?

25 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Is your view particular to melee, or do you think exilus slots should be free on weapons and/or frames  and so on in general?

We have adapters for Frames and Weapons so I'm fine with them still needing Adapters.

However, just like with Primary & Secondary Weapons, I feel that the Slot should be immediately available and not tied to an the very late game. 

Also, unlike with Primary & Secondary Weapons where DE expanded/converted various mods into Exilus Mods; Melee Weapons got the slot exclusively for Tennokai mods which is....odd as Tennokai is in a way a bandaid to Melee. 

The same logic used to supply Tennokai to Melee weapons justified the argument for a slot to be added to Warframes exclusively for an Augment mod. 

Ultimately, Tennokai should be an inmate feature of melee, not a mod. And it should be something players trigger at will, not at random. 

The fact that the unanimous champion of Tennokai mods is: Discipline's Merit (At the time of this posting.)

Effectively proves this fact. 

Hopefully, DE reworks Tennokai from the ground up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, (XBOX)CaligulaTwily said:

Okay cool, results when? What's the plan, leave the poll up for a week or something? 

The plan is to purchase as many kittens as there are votes, but to make sure their colors match specific voting targets.  So, for example, if we say Master's Edge is orange and there are 5 votes for it I'll get 5 orange kittens.  Next, I was planning on building a wall with a bunch of little tubes coming out and then put the kittens in little containers behind the wall.  I'll also put a sign on the wall that shows what tennokai mod each color of kitten maps to.  Finally, I plan on filming the kittens coming out of the little tubes and uploading the video to youtube and tiktok to reveal which tennokai mods are the most popular.

6ILbV6z.gif

Well, that or you can just check the results in real time like with any other strawpoll.

Edited by sly_squash
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Aerikx said:

We have adapters for Frames and Weapons so I'm fine with them still needing Adapters.

However, just like with Primary & Secondary Weapons, I feel that the Slot should be immediately available and not tied to an the very late game. 

Oh, gotcha.  You didn't mean "make them not need a weapon exilus adapter",  just "make them readily available without doing WitW and all its prereqs."  Yeah, it would make sense to be able to open up the slot earlier, especially when there are some more exilus options.  The quest reward upgrade segment would still be valuable for melee arcanes.

4 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:
5 hours ago, quxier said:

tennokai doesn't speed up heavy attack itself

Not sure what you mean.  It certainly affects wind-up, and I don't see how you could say that isn't part of the "heavy attack itself".

"Heavies" consist of 2 things:

- 1) wind up (affected by wind up speed) just before it deals damage/status, just animation

- 2) attack itself that deal damage

It's the best seen with Wisp haste mote (speed boost), Berseker fury and some slow heavy attack melees like Ghoulsaw. Tennokai only speed up "wind up speed" (1) but not attack (2). Attack (2) itself is not affected (or affected by VERY small amount). Proc 2x Berseker and your attack (2) will be 2/3 time of normal attack. Put mote with lot of strength and your attack (2) will be even faster.

4 hours ago, sly_squash said:

This is because:

• We didn't used to have "hold to melee" so melee combat used to require lots of button presses and a bit of timing to execute combos and keep the damage flowing.

I'm not sure what timing did you need. You could even 2x tap melee key to execute 2 attacks so if you really wanted you could just "tap tap tap"... "rap tap tap" (I had to do this).

Obviously just holding the button down and letting the game take care of all the timings required to keep combos flowing reduces the interactivity, lowers the skill cap, and can get a bit boring.

One thing that "auto melee" brought were less "finger fatigue".

There is no lower skill nor it gets boring less.

Tennokai helps spruce things up a bit.  It rewards players who are paying attention and quick to react with powerful blows boasting a reasonably  large aoe that don't drain combo.  This is especially nice for activating melee incarnon weapon modes without losing combo, but it's also a nice perk to help down tanky enemies quickly as well as to see those big numbers we all like to see more often.

It "spice things up a little", sure. However how it does? You are reacting to some event. So no matter what happens in the game you are still getting same result - faster/free heavy attack. It gets into "boring way" soon too.

4 hours ago, UnstarPrime said:
5 hours ago, quxier said:

I'm just saying that "late game player" has much more possibilities to do same or more damage in MORE RELIABLE WAY. Say you have armor strip, for example Styanax. You press a key, you use 25 energy and everyone in front of you have even 95+% ehp removed. You just need energy (which shouldn't be big problem at this stage) and you can use it everywhere (well... except some enemies & such).

Tennokai? Except "on 4th" you have only chance. I had killed 20-40 enemies before it appeared. It increases your DPS if you get it. Otherwise you are wasting time:

At first I read your response and I really didn't understand where you were coming from.  But after giving it some re-reads, I think I can see how you and I look at Tennokai in meaningfully differently ways, and how that is meaningfully impacting how we both feel about it.

From reading your reply, it sounds like you want to treat Tennokai as a tool, something that you can use when you feel like you need it.  And since Tennokai isn't accessible on-demand, it fails to fulfill this role for you.

Yes, I want to use it as tool.

However "on demand" doesn't necessary means "now". However I need a way get to that point (of doing something) in near non-random way. In other words I need to know that my actions make difference NOT it just happens because X. I like Melee animosity because of that. Every hit gives me +X% crit chance for next heavy attack. I can do heavy attack every 2nd or 10th. It doesn't matter. I still know that:

- when I hit more, up to X hits, I get more crit chance

- boosted crit chance won't disappear so I can plan when to use it

For me, I think of Tennokai the same way I think about critical hits: sometimes it will happen, sometimes it won't happen, but statistically it's a bump to my DPS.  Tennokai isn't something I actively "try to get", but rather something that conveniently falls into my lap sometimes when I'm already doing the melee combat that I love to do. And if there's ever a situation where I don't think a Tennokai attack would help me right now, I'm under no obligation to use my Tennokai procs.  In this way, Tennokai is always increasing my DPS without any downside, and because of that I enjoy it.

I'm fine with something like Crit or status chance because I don't have to anything. It just happens. It makes game little bit more nuanced.

However as for Tennokai I have to use it to get something from it. I don't like "luck" very much. I prefer test my skills and knowledge against enemy/environment. Doing so I know that when I fail it's mostly me not something out of my reach.

And if it is:

And if there's ever a situation where I don't think a Tennokai attack would help me right now, I'm under no obligation to use my Tennokai procs.

happens for me OR I don't gett tennokai icon then I don't see it being in the game. I don't like having many functionalities just to show "we have many things to use, our X is complex". It's like Yareli/Merulina. It's not something objectively better. To make it more useful they put restriction on abilities and removed it on Merulina.

5 hours ago, UnstarPrime said:

Does it feel like I'm accurately understanding your perspective?

Yeah, more or less. And I get you like Tennokai as some sort of "opportunities" like someone described.

5 hours ago, UnstarPrime said:

I can't say for sure whether this relates, but it also might affect my perspective that I like the feel of the heavy attacks with my weapons.  Bos, hammers, nunchaku, nikana...I like the feel of their normal attacks, but periodically doing these massively strong heavy attacks can feel good, too!

And part of why I like the feel of these attacks might be that on most of my melee weapons I'm using Melee Influence, which means that when I get a Tennokai proc, the damage from that heavy attack hits every enemy within 20m multiple times.  So when Tennokai procs, I get to see every foe within a 20m radius crumple to the ground, just for pressing a button.

But again, that's just my perspective, and it isn't meant to invalidate yours.  Rather, I just like to try to understand what's going on when some people love something but other people dislike it.

Sorry that I'm so negative about Tennokai but when I heard about "Tennokai being something challenging" (or something) I expected a lot. My mind were like "WOWOW WE WILL HAVE RAGE MODE OR SOMETHING FUN!". I've enjoyed Duviri combat a lot so I thought they could do something. I was very disappointed.

I love "white weapons" (melees). I like my attacks to have purpose. Sadly in WF it's mostly "move while attacking", "stand & attack", "jump & attack", "spin & attack" and maybe few others. It's still me vs enemy. Enemy is close - I can stand & attack. Enemy is far away - I can jump & attack. So on and so forth. Heavies doesn't make combat a lot of better. You do slow attack while you can just do few quick attacks while moving, hence getting less hit. It's too weak to be called heavy attack. Still sometimes I could use it, especially heavy slams. Tennokai making it faster is good (I posted about it in some forms, more later) but it takes control from me (another link, how it could change into something that you can control). So it changes from "do this slow & little bit stronger attack on BIG enemy" into "do this fast & little bit stronger attack on... something". Does it sounds fun? Not for me.

Well, hopes it clarified my stance.

ps. here are links (shameless advert):

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

The quest reward upgrade segment would still be valuable for melee arcanes.

Exactly. 

Arcanes IMPO is where the game becomes slightly more advanced. So THAT should be the unlockable.

Example: Amps

We got Amps during Plains of Eidolon, and arcanes for them around the same time.

Fortuna expanded the arcanes for Operators and Amps.

Then Zariman led to unlocking a second Amp Arcane.

THAT is progression.

Now, speaking from experience, the game literally NEVER in story or dialogue mentions Arcanes really.

When I was learning the game I'd see players mention them and I literally thought it was just slang.

It wasn't until I was MR22/24-ish that I learned what arcanes were.

Additionally, it wasn't until Eidolons that I learned how to properly utilize them. 

Tennokai IMPO, as a feature should be innate.

With either...

A. The mods having their own unlocked slot (like Aura/Stance Slots), cost 0 capacity to use. 

Or

B. Be a form of Enraged/Trance/'Kai' mode that players select in a fashion similar to Focus Schools.

Bottomline:

Tennokai let's call it "Trance Mode" should be something that unlocks via a quest earlier in the game.

It should function similar to how Warframe's work in The Duviri World Map (Not Undercroft). Where your actions in combat charge up a gauge that the player can trigger at will. (This case would be Melee actions obviously.)

When triggered, it should allow for lightning fast combos, guaranteed crits that ignore armor, and extremely powerful heavy attacks, blocking should reflect everything. 

iE: Make it like a powerful 30 or 60 second buff that takes time to charge via melee. 

My mind often recalls the Lotus: "I am surging your Warframe's power systems!" But in this case it's like, The Tenno surges the Warframe's systems and their minds enter perfect sync, forming a perfect storm of infested rage, and Tenno focus.

The reasoning behind this is that just like many other systems in the game, systems like this (seeing as it's literally basic combat) should be something players have time to get familiar with. 

After all the quests, Railjack, New War, Duviri, Archons, etc...to suddenly be told. "Hey you can randomly have a free heavy attack." Is kind of a let down in terms of both lore and gameplay, but also in execution. 

My stance is...

Make the free heavy attack a feature or a mod, have Exilus slots on melee from the get go (just acquiring the adapter is the trick), make Tennokai an actual mechanic that blends into gameplay and has time to be learned and understood. 

I hope DE revamps Tennokai. 😮‍💨

Edited by Aerikx
  • Like 2

I am, frankly, bemused by the popularity of Dreamer's Wrath over Opportunity's Reach. The critical damage is not that big a deal, and the increased chance isn't either, especially compared to being able to hit, like, potentially twice as many mobs with your heavy. 

35 minutes ago, quxier said:

- 1) wind up (affected by wind up speed) just before it deals damage/status, just animation

I don't know if this'll make sense to you, but the phrase in English that brings to mind is "a distinction without a difference".  

Yes I have a rough idea how different parts of heavy attacks are modified by wind up speed and attack speed.  But my response was specifically to your complaint about Tennokai heavies not being useful because they aren't faster than regular heavies.   Tennokai heavies take less time to execute than normal heavies at baseline.  Why? Because roughly half of the animation series is reduced to zero or close to it.

2 hours ago, Aerikx said:

B. Be a form of Enraged/Trance/'Kai' mode that players select in a fashion similar to Focus Schools.

Bottomline:

Tennokai let's call it "Trance Mode" should be something that unlocks via a quest earlier in the game.

It should function similar to how Warframe's work in The Duviri World Map (Not Undercroft). Where your actions in combat charge up a gauge that the player can trigger at will. (This case would be Melee actions obviously.)

When triggered, it should allow for lightning fast combos, guaranteed crits that ignore armor, and extremely powerful heavy attacks, blocking should reflect everything. 

iE: Make it like a powerful 30 or 60 second buff that takes time to charge via melee. 

I thought this was what tennokia was going to be. Just another kill bad guys with melee to activate super melee mode. It's been done so many times before that it's the obvious choice. I'm glad DE went a different way. 

IMO tennokai feels good because it plays like a max combo/heavy attack build with high efficiency. I already had similar builds on specific weapons like reaper, livia, keratinos, machetes etc that required a heavy attack efficiency riven and sometimes another efficiency mod. It's kind of cool to have the same type of build across all melee weapons now. I like having an on demand heavy attack kill shot for acolyte, demo or whatever w/o dumping combo and slotting several mods.

The only downside for me is that I now have a handful of melee rivens with some combo of efficiency + cc/cd/as/range/- that are now irrelevant. Thousands of plat just tossed into the void...again.

I don't know what's objectively best - on my side I'm almost exclusively using Reach.

1- because I'm slow, longer activation period is cool

2- because I'm using some low-range melees (everything is OP nowadays so I pick whatever fits best on the frame), it helps a lot

3- because it allows to "hold" the Tennokai a bit longer to not waste it (as it sometimes procs when you just killed the last enemy in direct range, having a few seconds to run to the next enemy is cool)

4- because pure damage increase is cool but only for very, very high levels which I don't personally need, so QoL > Damage for me

12 hours ago, Aerikx said:

I agree with this. 

Rather than build for/use a slot to speed up heavy attacks to make Tennokai worthwhile I just pull the trigger on a ranged weapon to delete whatever is in front of me. 

Tennokai is supposed to boost melee but it's approaching it wrong impo. 

Arcade slot? Yes, good Updates.

Exilus Slot? Yes, good Update. 

Random chance to unleash a free heavy attack that typically misses, gets dodged/ignored, or triggers once everything is dead/almost all dead? Eh .......

Works quite nice with that Melee Vortex arcane. Yeets stuff in to heavy attack range.

As for the poll I went Dreamer's Wrath. But just as often I use the exilus slot for Dispatch Overdrive.

I do not like tennokai as a concept for multiple reasons.

For one I would much rather that it be part of the core capabilities of melee itself.

Second I do not like the RNG nature of it , give me a gauge of sorts so I can work towards it (yeah I know melee combo multiplier already exists)

And finally I do not like the window of opportunity approach ,

Each one of them by itself I could manage , but since they all are needed to work it is really annoying.

As to the topic at hand 

I do not have the range and fixed melee hit mods (another issue with the system) , so for me dreamers wrath is pretty good so far.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:
10 hours ago, quxier said:

I don't know if this'll make sense to you, but the phrase in English that brings to mind is "a distinction without a difference".  

Yes I have a rough idea how different parts of heavy attacks are modified by wind up speed and attack speed.  But my response was specifically to your complaint about Tennokai heavies not being useful because they aren't faster than regular heavies.   Tennokai heavies take less time to execute than normal heavies at baseline.  Why? Because roughly half of the animation series is reduced to zero or close to it.

But you know that 2) takes time as well? That, not sure if all, stops your frame from moving (you can cancel with roll)?

Yes, wind up speed is faster. But you need to look at whole situation:

- on heavies that are not needed and takes time (yes, tennokai doesn't speed up heavy attack itself)

- looking for enemies to hit

- not using it

Let me rephrase it for you. You are in situation where you do Tennokai attack on weak enemy. You have faster wind up speed but your attack itself (2) is still the same. Not to mention you can be blocked (again, read above). Or you can just do normal attack and kill this and more enemies.

9 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:
10 hours ago, quxier said:

So maybe you don't see difference but I see it. I told you about Ghoulsaw already. I don't use attack speed most of the time. In case of Ghoulsaw it destroys 1 attack (riding). So my attacks are slow. Tennokai don't change it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

For one I would much rather that it be part of the core capabilities of melee itself.

Second I do not like the RNG nature of it , give me a gauge of sorts so I can work towards it (yeah I know melee combo multiplier already exists)

And finally I do not like the window of opportunity approach ,

Each one of them by itself I could manage , but since they all are needed to work it is really annoying.

Bingo. The 3 biggest issues with Tennokai as a whole. 

I realize some folks like it, as something is better than nothing. But...

A random opportunity to do a free heavy attack is not skillful nor is it game changing. It effectively is nothing. 

Already everyone I play with ignores Tennokai. Especially as the bulk of the time the proc (cause that's actually what it is. Just going to be blunt. It's a random proc.) activates at completely worthless times. 

Last time it proceed for me I got to swing and miss (was using a nikana and the heavy attack angle is weird) a charging butcher. Woo... 

My most frequent duo buddy always misses the timing so all Tennokai did for him was reset his combo counter. So he just took the S#&$ off and to quote him: "Wish I could equip a useful mod in this slot. No wonder we never heard of Tennokai until Whispers. The Tenno school of fighting couldn't fight it's way out of a Walmart."

That said, a good parallel to Tennokai is for DE to say that crit's no longer are moddable,  instead you will have a random chance to perform a "Lethal Crit" on a headshot, killing whatever you shot in the head.

So to "Proc" the lethal Crit, you have to shoot an enemy in the head. But you never get a say or strategic use out of it.

You just hope RNGesus blesses your bullet. 

....no wonder Teshin tried to mentor us. He feared the day Tenno would regress back to the days of Tennokai.

Edited by Aerikx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aerikx said:

My most frequent duo buddy always misses the timing so all Tennokai did for him was reset his combo counter. So he just took the S#&$ off and to quote him: "Wish I could equip a useful mod in this slot. No wonder we never heard of Tennokai until Whispers. The Tenno school of fighting couldn't fight it's way out of a Walmart."

So your buddy thinks it's crap because he doesn't know how to use it? Absolutely hilarious 🤣

2 hours ago, quxier said:

Yes, wind up speed is faster. But you need to look at whole situation:

No, actually I don't. :P  We're apparently in agreement  that Heavy Attack wind up takes time and  Tennokai pretty much eliminates this.  And you probably didn't mean to imply otherwise.  And that's all I was interested in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thorham said:

So your buddy thinks it's crap because he doesn't know how to use it? Absolutely hilarious 🤣

He knows how to use it. But due to the chaos of battle and movement he typically misses the attack or because the indicator is very subtle he doesn't even notice it proc'd and be used until it's too late. 

IE: Hits Heavy attack but did it too late so it ends up eating his combo. 

Something like that...

I'm in the same boat of just not bothering.

In the time it takes me to fire off 1 Tennokai attack I've fired another 2 or 3 shots and deleted all assailants. 

My RNG is also bad. I usually get procs at the very end of an encounter so end up having to use it on containers cause "Why not?"

• Like 1