Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why so many toxic players recently

Hello everyone! First time posting here... I don't know if I'm in the good place for what I want to talk about.

A little bit of context first : I've been playing Warframe for a long time now, but I'm just unlocking stuff to get mastery points, playing for fun, discovering new updates, etc. Not really into making the strongest builds. I just get what's necessary for me to complete the things I want and that's it. Now that I've been working a full-time job where I got a lot of responsibilities, I end my day being exhausted and playing Warframe is the easy way for me to think about something else for a couple of hours...

Recently, I've been encountering some really toxic players on public lobbies. During the event Gargoyle's cry, for exemple, I wasn't fast enough for some players who started insulting me and telling me they would report me for ''grief'' or something like that. And today, while I was leveling up Dante, a frame I don't even really know because I tend to just get the new ones to lvl 30 then forget about them, other players started harassing me because I wasn't doing a good job? I mean, I finished working and I'm tired. I'm not gaming to get insulted by others on a coop game, even though I might not always be that good, but I didn't die and wasn't a burden for the others during the mission... I reported the player for harassment this time, because even after the mission was over I told them to chill out and I'm just there to have fun and I got an answer in private like ''cry me a river'' or something... But I don't know if that report will do anything.

And in all my years of playing the game, I never noticed that sort of behavior, so I wanted to know if something changed in the community without me noticing recently or in the last few months (or even years)? What are your experiences with public matchmaking?

• Like 13

The unfortunate reality of having a really big internet community. Not much anyone can do about that. Just right click their name in chat and click ignore.

Edited by Tovon
  • Like 13

that's nothing new sadly.

6 years ago I downloaded Warframe on steam to check it out. I enjoyed the game and decided to purchase Chroma as he was then as a DLC with some plat and other odds and ends. Obviously I had very little knowledge of the game and entered a public mission as I had just discovered the eidolon hunts and was trying to get the sentient cores etc to level up in the quills.

the reality was that I was barraged with comments as S#&$ Chroma F-off effing ignoramus and more. I took the time to state I was new to the game and that my gameplay would be improved if they took time to explain things rather than insult me. I was simply told to piss off and go play a kids game.

The result was that I ran the entire dammed starchart solo which took for ever as I was simply afraid to enter any public missions for almost a full year.

Fortunately I believe that was an exception not a rule but indeed the toxic behaviour of some players is a downside but in todays world it has become very common.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah, usually, when someone is bothering me online, I just ignore/block that person, no big deal. It's just that I never lived that situation before on Warframe in all those years of playing it and it happened twice in a relatively short amount of time, so I was wondering if I was just really unlucky or if it was something now more common on the game. I always felt like the community was really nice, even on public matchmaking (I'm almost always playing on public unless I do relics or other specific stuff), so facing so much agressivity all of a sudden and for no reason on a co-op game just feels out of place. If there was more PvP, I could understand raging, but a game more focused on PvE? What the...?

Edited by Waethan
  • Like 3

For every toxic jerk, there are 1000 decent people out there who are genuinely nice. They are just bitter sad humans, don’t even engage with them, they lack critical thinking skills.

Personally I find that chatting usually results in toxicity. I try to be courteous and if someone loads in my mission, tell them how long I plan to stay. They get all stupid saying things like that sucks, I suck, Yareli sucks, Wukong sucks, etc. Then they stay anyway, so go figure. People say things like that everywhere and not just WF. Has to do with not being IRL so they can't get punched in the face.

Edited by MutoManiac
  • Like 4

There have always been toxic players like any other community ,

You just had the luck to get them in your session that frequently in a short time. There is a bit of a ... Debate going on with the new update so there may be general high tensions for specific frames.

If you are in a public lobby then just keep calm , ignore and carry on. If you are in a pre made lobby try to meet the expectations set for the squad.

• Like 2

Currently, the community is on nuclear meltdown because they feel cheated by a certain change to a certain Warframe. I am not surprised that this negativity bleeds into the game as well.

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

that's nothing new sadly.

6 years ago I downloaded Warframe on steam to check it out. I enjoyed the game and decided to purchase Chroma as he was then as a DLC with some plat and other odds and ends. Obviously I had very little knowledge of the game and entered a public mission as I had just discovered the eidolon hunts and was trying to get the sentient cores etc to level up in the quills.

the reality was that I was barraged with comments as S#&$ Chroma F-off effing ignoramus and more. I took the time to state I was new to the game and that my gameplay would be improved if they took time to explain things rather than insult me. I was simply told to piss off and go play a kids game.

The result was that I ran the entire dammed starchart solo which took for ever as I was simply afraid to enter any public missions for almost a full year.

Fortunately I believe that was an exception not a rule but indeed the toxic behaviour of some players is a downside but in todays world it has become very common.

Unfortunately for you, tridolons and pug squads for them are like that, elitism is pretty strong there too, seen people berate others for not having 200+ hydro caps, worst part is that solo 5x3 is a casual chill run, condolences that you got those types of people, but my personal advice, take that toxicity with a grain of salt and ignore it, it's not worth hiding in a cave over it.

1 hour ago, Waethan said:

Hello everyone! First time posting here... I don't know if I'm in the good place for what I want to talk about.

A little bit of context first : I've been playing Warframe for a long time now, but I'm just unlocking stuff to get mastery points, playing for fun, discovering new updates, etc. Not really into making the strongest builds. I just get what's necessary for me to complete the things I want and that's it. Now that I've been working a full-time job where I got a lot of responsibilities, I end my day being exhausted and playing Warframe is the easy way for me to think about something else for a couple of hours...

Recently, I've been encountering some really toxic players on public lobbies. During the event Gargoyle's cry, for exemple, I wasn't fast enough for some players who started insulting me and telling me they would report me for ''grief'' or something like that. And today, while I was leveling up Dante, a frame I don't even really know because I tend to just get the new ones to lvl 30 then forget about them, other players started harassing me because I wasn't doing a good job? I mean, I finished working and I'm tired. I'm not gaming to get insulted by others on a coop game, even though I might not always be that good, but I didn't die and wasn't a burden for the others during the mission... I reported the player for harassment this time, because even after the mission was over I told them to chill out and I'm just there to have fun and I got an answer in private like ''cry me a river'' or something... But I don't know if that report will do anything.

And in all my years of playing the game, I never noticed that sort of behavior, so I wanted to know if something changed in the community without me noticing recently or in the last few months (or even years)? What are your experiences with public matchmaking?

General toxicity rises around any kind of update, especially with a new Warframe & the retouches it gets in the following weeks.  This is going to be compounded by cross save being live for only a handful of months, sadly.  

As much as people dislike it, using the report & ignore/block function is going to be the best option to handle the worse instances as that's how these players will earn to self regulate due to DE stepping in.

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 1

After work, I just play solo exclusively.  The internet has taught me that if you are going to play online you better be minmaxxing or you are doing it wrong, lol.  That's why I actually really enjoy the solo option in the game!  No need to worry about making some speedrunner's 2 minute run a 2m30s run and I can run around the map farming Argon crystals, hunt the hidden caches, ect.  

Edited by MetalMechabolic
  • Like 2

Colder weather interacting with Toxicity makes it go Viral. Badum tish. 

Little bit of Warframe humour there for ya. Enough about my love life though, and on to more serious matters. First, I am sorry that you had to experience those toxic players. In my experience? Such players are still very rare, as in the past, and as in the present. I did experience a few when I first started playing the game, and way back, and the consistency hasn't really changed, but for me personally, its still very very rare. 

A few caveats though, I often play solo, like 50% of the time, I play Warframe, I play solo, but I also play a lot of Warframe, so its entirely possible, that 50% of my play time, is still quite a lot of interactions with randoms. I am also pretty chill, and good at defusing tense situations, and sometimes all a rude or toxic player needs, is a gentle reminder that they are playing with real human peoples. Obviously not all people are so quick to drop being toxic, but many can, if shown a shred of empathy, and kindness. Its a bit like the old adage hurt people hurt. Hostile, rude people, often end up that way because of certain experiences, and a lot of people are sort of on autopilot, and that combination can lead to people being ruder and more hostile than they necessarily realise. They get irritated or annoyed easily, and lash out at random online anonymous people, because... why not? Does it really matter? Get over it, get tougher skin, etc, but usually such justifications reflect, well deeper issues that can't really be so easily addressed, by random anonymous online people, but sometimes you can snap people into the moment, and get them to question their current attitude and actions. 

Not that its your or anyones responsibility, to have to try and deal with a hostile aggressive rude person and show them kindness, warmth, but yeah. 

So I don't necessarily think much has changed. Maybe depends on the activities you do in game. Like PUG Eidolons traditionally has been known to be a bit more tense for many, and the potential for toxicity greater, than say a premade team doing Survival Endurance. Like some people doing Eidolons are trying to do 6x3 in one night, and had to wait for an hour for Night in Cetus, and some others are doing a Tridolon for the first time and struggling, and depending on the peoples personalities... Thing is, I liked taking people struggling and helping them, not that I was a speed runner, I could just solo decently fast, so liked to give people who were inexperienced help. A lot of them ended up being really grateful, because apparently some people weren't so nice, but it also helped that I already have all the Arcanes I wanted from that mode... Not that I would be mean without them, but I can see why some others might be on edge if they felt they were losing efficiency... Also, I used to solo Eidolons, because as a newbie, I was worried about people thinking I was dead weight, but thats also because I was new to games with people you play with (usually stuck to single player RPGS). 

The Gargoyle's Cry Event, Netracells, Deep Archimedia, SP Circuit, all have certain rewards and conditions, like Eidolons, which have potential to lead to well frustrated and annoyed players, and some people don't deal with that as well as others and that can spill over... Which to be clear, doesn't excuse such behaviour, but as someone who processes frustration really well to the point I don't really get bothered, I kind of feel for people who do get hostile. Though, I do get a little bothered when they are hostile to random people who definitely do not deserve it. 

Hope you have more pleasant experiences in the future OP. Also welcome to the Forums! 

• Like 4

in my 7k+ hours of Warframe, I'v honestly never really seen any toxic players except for on very rare occasions. To the degree where it makes me start to think that when someone complains about toxic people, it just might be themselves who are being toxic. I'm not calling you a liar OP, or insinuating that you are the toxic person. Its just hard envision that there's a bunch of toxicity happening when I cant even recall 3 cases of someone being toxic in the 11 years iv been playing.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Waethan:

happens extremely rarely. Hardly anyone writes anything in my games. Most of the time chat is empty or there is something like "gg".

5分钟前 , Venus-Venera 说:

happens extremely rarely. Hardly anyone writes anything in my games. Most of the time chat is empty or there is something like "gg".

TBH I kinda always be the one who typing stuff in chat with randoms and usually get no one reply and those who replied were also usually be quite nice. Can't said that's no one acting toxic tho, but that's really hard to tell without them proving their motives themself and I tend to think they're not intentionally to do things that hurt my feeling and beside, that's my own feeling they get no response to take care of. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waethan said:

I've been playing for nearly 10,000 ingame Warframe hours screw steams stat system and I have only seen it about three times, if someone is slow pfft they might be still learning or not that good at movement skills or took a wrong turn, who cares let the whiney self centred brats whine as much as they like it's only words, I'm too old (not slow though) to put up with crap so I just ignore it if it does happen unless they are picking on a new player but the most I see in pub servers especially when I join into a group of low MR 4ish at times is wow an L4, they tell me normally for them when a high MR player joins them they leave again so me staying they appreciate it, I just tell them I'm just a noob and still learning new things like them.

The problem I think is a lot of people are in such a hurry in real life and just drag their emotions into the game IMO, or they are just self centred jerks and should set their game to solo if they don't like the other players.

• Like 2

Il y a 8 heures, IggySnow a dit :

in my 7k+ hours of Warframe, I'v honestly never really seen any toxic players except for on very rare occasions. To the degree where it makes me start to think that when someone complains about toxic people, it just might be themselves who are being toxic. I'm not calling you a liar OP, or insinuating that you are the toxic person. Its just hard envision that there's a bunch of toxicity happening when I cant even recall 3 cases of someone being toxic in the 11 years iv been playing.

But again, I was just doing my stuff, not even writing on the chat or bothering anyone in game, and they immediately started insulting my play because, for THEM, I wasn't doing a good job... If they want someone who will do exactly what they want, just make a team and don't play on public... And I played the game since release (almost) and never experienced that too. That's why I made this post. I was just baffled by that situation happening twice, even though I know it's still rare. But some people here gave possible explanations (new update, nerf, etc.) for that, so maybe it's just some annoyed people putting their frustration somewhere else. It's just sad, that this ''somewhere else'' is on another player who just want to have fun...

Il y a 9 heures, (PSN)slightconfuzzled a dit :

A few caveats though, I often play solo, like 50% of the time, I play Warframe, I play solo, but I also play a lot of Warframe, so its entirely possible, that 50% of my play time, is still quite a lot of interactions with randoms. I am also pretty chill, and good at defusing tense situations, and sometimes all a rude or toxic player needs, is a gentle reminder that they are playing with real human peoples. Obviously not all people are so quick to drop being toxic, but many can, if shown a shred of empathy, and kindness. Its a bit like the old adage hurt people hurt. Hostile, rude people, often end up that way because of certain experiences, and a lot of people are sort of on autopilot, and that combination can lead to people being ruder and more hostile than they necessarily realise. They get irritated or annoyed easily, and lash out at random online anonymous people, because... why not? Does it really matter? Get over it, get tougher skin, etc, but usually such justifications reflect, well deeper issues that can't really be so easily addressed, by random anonymous online people, but sometimes you can snap people into the moment, and get them to question their current attitude and actions. 

Not that its your or anyones responsibility, to have to try and deal with a hostile aggressive rude person and show them kindness, warmth, but yeah. 

Well, I tried to explain my situation and that I'm just there to have fun, not to be the absolute best. And that guy messaged me again in private to poke me. But this time, I just put him on ''ignore'' because I couldn't bother more than that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Waethan said:

But again, I was just doing my stuff, not even writing on the chat or bothering anyone in game, and they immediately started insulting my play because, for THEM, I wasn't doing a good job... If they want someone who will do exactly what they want, just make a team and don't play on public... And I played the game since release (almost) and never experienced that too. That's why I made this post. I was just baffled by that situation happening twice, even though I know it's still rare. But some people here gave possible explanations (new update, nerf, etc.) for that, so maybe it's just some annoyed people putting their frustration somewhere else. It's just sad, that this ''somewhere else'' is on another player who just want to have fun...

Well you also have to realize this is an objective based, team oriented game. If you are off doing your own thing while the other people are waiting in the boss room for 2+ min because they want to start the fight, then that's on you.

During gargoyles cry for example, I came across a few players who wanted to get all the voca, and find the book, which completely slowed down the mission because we had to wait for them to do what they wanted to do before we could start the boss fight. And we had to point out that this is not the mission to be doing a bunch of optional side objectives if you cant do them quickly. Now sure, this is all in pubs, but just because you are in a pub doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want at the expense of other peoples enjoyment and not expect them to be annoyed.

Lots of players have been leaving Destiny and coming warframe lately, and its not hard to see why. Directors got laid off or left, half their devs got laid off or left, its been downhill for them for a while now.

• Like 2

In a general sense, I would like to say that gaming communities have just naturally had a higher quantity of toxic interactions as 1) the amount of people that play video games nowadays is significantly greater than 10 years ago, 2) the amount of time that these people sink into video games nowadays is significantly greater than 10 years ago, and 3) and overall 'being a toxic PoS is normal' theme in certain communities. I also feel that the actual proportion of toxic interactions to non-toxic has skewed in the favor of toxicity, but I also have plenty of memories of the 2007-2010 era of Call of Duty.

I'm sorry to hear you've had that experience, I personally find Warframe to be one of the rare communities that has next to no toxicity in game. There can be some vocal toxic people on the forums/reddit/etc. however. All I can really recommend is don't let someone else's behavior ruin your time being spent on something you enjoy. Don't interact with them, report them if you feel it's heinous enough (I've only reported 1 person in my 10 years of playing the game and it was because they told me to "kys"), and ignore. Hell don't even feel obligated to finish the mission if someone is treating you poorly. Or, as some others have said, attempt to soothe over the situation. However, you are under no obligation whatsoever to do so. It is not your responsibility, nor is it expected of you, to manage the emotions and behaviors of others. There's a million reasons someone might be behaving that way and we will never know it.

The absolute one thing you should not do, is adopt their behavior. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vazumongr said:

In a general sense, I would like to say that gaming communities have just naturally had a higher quantity of toxic interactions as 1) the amount of people that play video games nowadays is significantly greater than 10 years ago, 2) the amount of time that these people sink into video games nowadays is significantly greater than 10 years ago, and 3) and overall 'being a toxic PoS is normal' theme in certain communities. I also feel that the actual proportion of toxic interactions to non-toxic has skewed in the favor of toxicity, but I also have plenty of memories of the 2007-2010 era of Call of Duty.

I'm sorry to hear you've had that experience, I personally find Warframe to be one of the rare communities that has next to no toxicity in game. There can be some vocal toxic people on the forums/reddit/etc. however. All I can really recommend is don't let someone else's behavior ruin your time being spent on something you enjoy. Don't interact with them, report them if you feel it's heinous enough (I've only reported 1 person in my 10 years of playing the game and it was because they told me to "kys"), and ignore. Hell don't even feel obligated to finish the mission if someone is treating you poorly. Or, as some others have said, attempt to soothe over the situation. However, you are under no obligation whatsoever to do so. It is not your responsibility, nor is it expected of you, to manage the emotions and behaviors of others. There's a million reasons someone might be behaving that way and we will never know it.

The absolute one thing you should not do, is adopt their behavior. 

Yep, terminally online people.

23 hours ago, Waethan said:

What are your experiences with public matchmaking?

usually, I get people that are fine, who are just looking to finish the mission. very rarely do I encounter toxicity.

when you encounter it the best thing to do is just report and ignore them. Gargoyle's cry wasn't the most fun event and Dante is not the easiest frame to understand right off the bat, on account of basically having 7 abilities, so you shouldn't have been called out on either of those. many people forget they were also new once and had to learn.