Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

Restrict Matchmaking by Research Points

I understand this might be a hot take for many, but the loophole of carrying a player through high Research Point Deep/Elite Archimedea while using any gear should be removed. It cheapens the intention of this new gamemode to have such an accessible way to circumvent the Research Points system. To me, this is an oversight.

Restrict a players public matchmaking and opportunity to start a premade squad by the amount of Research Points the squad has selected. That is all. If a player decides to tackle Elite Archimedea with 37 Research Points, they shouldn't expect (or even be permitted to recruit) the opportunity for another player to undermine the mission's selected modifiers with less Research Points.

The relative difficulty represented by Research Points should be static throughout a squad and only manipulated by gear RNG and how well a player has built out their arsenal.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 10

13 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Restrict a players public matchmaking and opportunity to start a premade squad by the amount of Research Points the squad has selected. That is all. If a player decides to tackle Elite Archimedea with 37 Research Points, they shouldn't expect (or even be permitted to recruit) the opportunity for another player to undermine the mission's selected modifiers with less Research Points.

Agree.

14 minutes ago, Voltage said:

The relative difficulty represented by Research Points should be static throughout a squad and only manipulated by gear RNG and how well a player has built out their arsenal.

Don't entirely agree. Building out the entire arsenal is unfeasible for 99% of the player base if not more, a lot of weapons just plain suck and negative modifiers like the -75% duration one severely cripple most frames to the point of uselessness.

Hey I personally have built out my operator as far as possible without crafting random amps I'll never use and yet there is a modifier that just completely disables it.

• Like 4

Cool idea. But maybe break it up into... like, blocks? Such as 0 up to 15, 15-34, 34-37. I mean, because if someone opted to not just use a particular  given frame or weapon I wouldn't really consider that leeching, looking for a carry, or a skill issue.

• Like 7

They could have some range requirements to enter yes, such as 34-37 etc, but then many will enter with everything on expecting to be carried, so what is the difference in the end?  They'll eventually get carried by someone. 

Also, I feel like this would eliminate matchmaking for lower points, with everyone feeling forced to go max and brute force it.  It would certainly make finding a party take longer, I'm sure, and then with potentially repeated failed runs and having to wait a long time...

Edited by Lord_Drod
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, L3512 said:

Don't entirely agree. Building out the entire arsenal is unfeasible for 99% of the player base if not more, a lot of weapons just plain suck and negative modifiers like the -75% duration one severely cripple most frames to the point of uselessness.

Hey I personally have built out my operator as far as possible without crafting random amps I'll never use and yet there is a modifier that just completely disables it.

My message there was just iterating how Research Points generally function. They aren't the be-all-end-all of difficulty by any means, but they are there to set a relative difficulty level to a mission. The only thing that sets 2 players apart within the difficulty set by research points is their loadout (which is a combination of RNG and their overall mastery/Forma/builds).

5 minutes ago, Voltage said:

My message there was just iterating how Research Points generally function. They aren't the be-all-end-all of difficulty by any means, but they are there to set a relative difficulty level to a mission.

Yes I agree with that, being able to circumvent the new modes mechanics is not the right decision IMO, even if I personally do not really enjoy those mechanics and feel that random gear is a bad choice without some form of factor to help mitigate bad options.

• Like 3

I dont really see a benefit in doing this. Do you not trust recruitment chat to actually do 37 points when you ask them to?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Lord_Drod:

They could have some range requirements to enter yes, such as 34-37 etc, but then many will enter with everything on expecting to be carried, so what is the difference in the end?  They'll eventually get carried by someone. 

Also, I feel like this would eliminate matchmaking for lower points, with everyone feeling forced to go max and brute force it.  It would certainly make finding a party take longer, I'm sure, and then with potentially repeated failed runs and having to wait a long time...

My guess is that the 34 to 37 jump is what voltage is most concerned about since it's the most impactful one.

• Like 2

Yeah nice punish players that accually does not bother you just you cant have people have an easy way

just because you cant feel as special about it because someone decide to do it the easy way

but limiting yourself by accutally putting in the work to find a group that likes it as difficult as yourself thats to mutch for you to do noone should force another player to play like they want them to play if it is the easy way or the hard both are bad behaviour

i do the missions in privat groups for my own reasons Because i know what a mess public matchmakeing is most of the time

if that goes on might es well remove the complete public match makeing so people have to recruit again manual if they cant be happy by public matchmaking not fitting their needs

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Drachnyn said:

I dont really see a benefit in doing this. Do you not trust recruitment chat to actually do 37 points when you ask them to?

My guess is that the 34 to 37 jump is what voltage is most concerned about since it's the most impactful one.

To me it seems complicated for matchmaking.  I'm sure there's plenty that are going for 34-37.  If they are using recruit already, they should be able to just recruit 37 only players if that's what they desire.  Simply maybe adding a way to see how many research points people are running would fix their issue.  It wouldn't really stop leeching overall, since players could continue running in other squads with everything selected, until they got lucky.

Also, if they are running pubs, I'm sure there's plenty of people that could also have less than the max on, and still need to be carried by someone with max research on.  DE would have to limit the chances you have to run it, people would still run it unprepared with max points on, and others would fail it, use up their tries and point fingers.

So really all they can do to make it an authentic challenge for him, is to allow you to see how many research points people in your squad are running, and I don't really know how to solve the other part.  I also think though, it could lead to a lot of toxicity if you could see players were constantly going down with max research points, or not pulling their weight with lower research points

Every area of the game, lets you join and get carried, as long as you're giving effort, and trying to contribute (meeting the min requirements, whatever they may be to enter), so it would be harsh to have a weird requirement for this mode.  I do think that some lesser experienced players should get max rewards if they are grouped in with some good players and can learn from them and that's kinda what the game has always been about, not just the elite playing with each other.

They could also block the trade off leeching, just by not allowing you to run it in groups another time if you have already completed it, especially for max rewards.  There's options, but it's complicated.  People that need to do this, probably have trouble completing it with one person doing all the work.  It doesn't really bother me personally, and probably isn't an oversight. 

It's kind of like eidolons, do recruit and form a squad, and people would have their requirements to weed people out in recruit there as well, which I'm sure weren't always successful.  Then some really good/prepared players would be in pubs too and carry people, while also some toxic players.  How is this mode different?

TLDR - recruit seems like the only solution, the more I think about it.

Edited by Lord_Drod
  • Like 1

What you want from DA and EDA is extremely short-sighted.

• The research points rng. All player will have week(s) where the combination is not in their favor, yet you can still circumvent that rng by being lucky/fortunate enough to get players with favorable rng. You will get carried.
  • Mission progress has surface level info. The closes thing to useful is "damage dealt" and "total kills" and I still consider the entirety of the mission progression UI to be "misleading". The oldest proof I can remember is when Augmented Enemy Shields in Sortie was literally bullet sponge. Most players back then didn't know how toxin really work and were confused when they saw a player that did the least amount of damage, yet got the most kills. In DA/EDA we do more damage to trash mobs than to Necramechs and The Fragmented; assuming the conditions are constant for both, I accumulated more total damage with 15 shots on a trash enemy than 15 shots on boss/mini boss. Which makes stats like this one below not representing what's really happening.
Spoiler

G9WdZWz.jpg

• Majority of players takes these "false" stats at some accurate measurements of performance. How many of you notice/experience the weirdness between "damage dealt" and "damage dealt to the murmur"? (look at the image below) Mission progress needs to present relative information that accurately shows a players performance and contribution to the team. Sure you got carried by the one with the most damage and kills, but a player with a lot of sustained healing/overguard was the one that made it possible, or the defensive/cc that protected the defense target allowing to focus on killing.
Spoiler

DGne0tb.jpg

"Wanting to prevent people from circumventing the rng and getting carried", I feel like is going cause the points below to grow more than what they are currently :

• Sympathizers who understands the unfortunate of unfavorable rng willing to help out
  • Players working off of unreliable stats, potentially measuring theirs and others' contribution falsely, and acting "off" from it
  • By situation, hypocritical players that won't accept being underserving of the rewards despite getting carried
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, (XBOX)RaeOvSunshyn said:

Cool idea. But maybe break it up into... like, blocks? Such as 0 up to 15, 15-34, 34-37. I mean, because if someone opted to not just use a particular  given frame or weapon I wouldn't really consider that leeching, looking for a carry, or a skill issue.

This is an interesting addition for sure. I could get behind that.

9 hours ago, Lord_Drod said:

This mode is the end of the line right now in terms of putting to use all the things you've gathered this far. If you feel "forced" into higher Research Points without having the arsenal preparedness, you should be going back to doing only normal Netracells. Warframe is finally seeing content that is for higher ranked players only, and it's been needed for years. I want to preserve that progression tier that is meant to encourage you to reach that milestone, not ask to water it down for the lowest common denominator like we see every other content update.

5 hours ago, Drachnyn said:

I don't use recruitment chat. I am looking at how the mode is intended to function and how easy it is to bypass the Research Points system. All these modifiers and rewards should be reserved for players who can handle it themselves and within a group at the appropriate settings.

4 hours ago, Keiyadan said:

Yeah nice punish players that accually does not bother you just you cant have people have an easy way

just because you cant feel as special about it because someone decide to do it the easy way

but limiting yourself by accutally putting in the work to find a group that likes it as difficult as yourself thats to mutch for you to do noone should force another player to play like they want them to play if it is the easy way or the hard both are bad behaviour

The mode did not release to be intentionally trivial. That is the entire point of Research Points. This thread is about fixing a loophole that undermines the key mechanics of the missions. I'm not asking to "feel special". I can already take care of that myself through my own progression choices. I'm asking for the mode to only reward players who engage with Research Points the intended way, not rewarding a progression loophole. Do you also support the usage of a matchmaking exploit to bypass the Rank 5 Fortuna requirement of participating in Profit-Taker? Because you're arguing the same point here. Having the allowance to be carried in this mode is corrosive to how the mode works.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Voltage said:
16 hours ago, Lord_Drod said:

This mode is the end of the line right now in terms of putting to use all the things you've gathered this far. If you feel "forced" into higher Research Points without having the arsenal preparedness, you should be going back to doing only normal Netracells. Warframe is finally seeing content that is for higher ranked players only, and it's been needed for years. I want to preserve that progression tier that is meant to encourage you to reach that milestone, not ask to water it down for the lowest common denominator like we see every other content update.

I run it solo personally to avoid a lot of potential toxicity and just not able to carry with randoms as well.  As for the loophole fix, the best solution I think is to lock people to their chosen reward tier.  If you want diamond, you can only join other players with diamond on.  If you have only gold selected, the only gold players will join you and so on.  That will fix any silver or gold or lesser players undermining the system by trading off to receive max rewards.  I'd be interested in hearing why DE hasn't done this. 

Players could always opt to turn diamond on to receive diamond, if they have already received gold etc rewards, they would just have to do so being grouped with diamond only players.

Edited by Lord_Drod

17 hours ago, Lord_Drod said:

Also, I feel like this would eliminate matchmaking for lower points, with everyone feeling forced to go max and brute force it.

This would be true if the rewards wasn’t tied to the randomized loadouts and only tied to the modifiers. Right now, it’s not feeling forced, but “all or nothing” forced

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

This would be true if the rewards wasn’t tied to the randomized loadouts and only tied to the modifiers. Right now, it’s not feeling forced, but “all or nothing” forced

Sorry, I shouldn't have tried to speculate how players are approaching the mode  There's ways to contribute with very "bad" RNG for frame, weapons, depending on modifiers and mission type. 

As for the topic, they should match you with an appropriate range, so you're only grouped within the range you select, keeping in mind the cutoff points for the reward tiers.  I'm sure DE could figure it out where it doesn't break matchmaking, while eliminating trade-off runs.

18 hours ago, Voltage said:

I get the intent behind this, but this only further segments the matchmaking pool arbitrarily. Does it make a difference if someone gets a random RNG loadout assignment of Revenant vs brings one of their own accord, when the end result is just the same? Both make your experience "easier", but one gives extra rewards to the other player that don't affect you whatsoever. The entirety of the missions can also be done by summoning your necramech, bypassing most all personal modifiers and gear loadouts - only really requiring a good build for guard mode and pressing storm shroud occasionally if using Voidrig.

Enforcing stricter matchmaking requirements based on research point count won't make the missions any easier or harder because that's already done through the random loadouts - we have many frames and abilities that in squad play provide ample buffs and will show up in peoples' weekly choices regardless. Unless you ban specific frames or weapons, there's always going to be players who get good rolls and can bring equipment that trivializes certain missions; limiting matchmaking to similar research point count won't resolve people feeling "carried" in missions or normalize the perceived difficulty.

8 hours ago, Voltage said:

I'm asking for the mode to only reward players who engage with Research Points the intended way

The way it's currently implemented seems intended to me - if a player decides to bring their own equipment regardless of loadout choices, they get less rewards, hence "personal" modifiers. If they wanted a mode where everyone had the exact same challenge, they would've released it as such without any personal choice and only the mission modifiers. All of the mission-specific modifiers still apply and create challenge, and the individual modifiers can be chosen by the player for their own additional rewards. This isn't similar to taxi-ing a player to profit taker or something similar - this is a player interacting with the system as it released, which is giving them the choice to make the mission more or less "difficult" for varying rewards.

It sounds like you want challenging content where there's no random personal modifiers or loadouts, since these will always influence the perceived / relative difficulty of the mission depending on the equipment and modifiers provided. If you want the relative difficulty to be consistent between players and for the mission, they'd have to all have similar loadouts and no personal restrictions that don't apply to any one specific individual in the squad (i.e. reduced duration modifier doesn't affect a frame that doesn't care about duration stats). That might be a fun challenge (oops, all Excals! or something), but it's not what this current iteration of DA/EDA is intended to provide, and wouldn't change significantly even with modifier count pooling restrictions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nekomian said:

I get the intent behind this, but this only further segments the matchmaking pool arbitrarily. Does it make a difference if someone gets a random RNG loadout assignment of Revenant vs brings one of their own accord, when the end result is just the same? Both make your experience "easier", but one gives extra rewards to the other player that don't affect you whatsoever. The entirety of the missions can also be done by summoning your necramech, bypassing most all personal modifiers and gear loadouts - only really requiring a good build for guard mode and pressing storm shroud occasionally if using Voidrig.

Enforcing stricter matchmaking requirements based on research point count won't make the missions any easier or harder because that's already done through the random loadouts - we have many frames and abilities that in squad play provide ample buffs and will show up in peoples' weekly choices regardless. Unless you ban specific frames or weapons, there's always going to be players who get good rolls and can bring equipment that trivializes certain missions; limiting matchmaking to similar research point count won't resolve people feeling "carried" in missions or normalize the perceived difficulty.

The way it's currently implemented seems intended to me - if a player decides to bring their own equipment regardless of loadout choices, they get less rewards, hence "personal" modifiers. If they wanted a mode where everyone had the exact same challenge, they would've released it as such without any personal choice and only the mission modifiers. All of the mission-specific modifiers still apply and create challenge, and the individual modifiers can be chosen by the player for their own additional rewards. This isn't similar to taxi-ing a player to profit taker or something similar - this is a player interacting with the system as it released, which is giving them the choice to make the mission more or less "difficult" for varying rewards.

You make great points here, but I am still solely focusing on removing the interaction where a squad can do 2 runs, switching off carrying each other, thereby undermining the Research Points system. I understand what you're getting at, but I'm not really talking about the people who are just doing the mode in the most comfortable difficulty setting. I'm discussing a way to remove the circumvention of this mechanic. I don't think this segments much to be quite honest, especially if we go with the range idea suggested by others earlier in the thread.

Players who can't handle this content's requirements should be pushed into doing normal Netracells, not become a vocal point for accessibility. That focus on accessibility is what has had players waiting for 6 years from the removal of Trials until now just to get a mode that feels like a semblance of a real end-game mode.

Maybe my suggestions are too ahead of the curve, considering how poorly aged Warframe's matchmaking system is. This is just the best idea I could come up with for fixing the dilemma I outlined in the post. If DE came up with some entirely different idea to fix the same issue, I wouldn't mind that either. It just feels really cheap when we finally get content like this, and there are glaring oversights present in this way.

4 hours ago, Nekomian said:

It sounds like you want challenging content where there's no random personal modifiers or loadouts, since these will always influence the perceived / relative difficulty of the mission depending on the equipment and modifiers provided. If you want the relative difficulty to be consistent between players and for the mission, they'd have to all have similar loadouts and no personal restrictions that don't apply to any one specific individual in the squad (i.e. reduced duration modifier doesn't affect a frame that doesn't care about duration stats). That might be a fun challenge (oops, all Excals! or something), but it's not what this current iteration of DA/EDA is intended to provide, and wouldn't change significantly even with modifier count pooling restrictions.

That's why I used the word relative. I like the way the mode is currently set up, and the whole "difficulty" discussion is relative to both what you rolled for gear, and your builds/knowledge as a player. That is what I meant with the word. You have agency over how challenging this new mode is, but some players just don't want to hear that Mastery Rank, slots, and completionism/build diversity are the solution. Personal modifiers and gear RNG are needed in the modern game for a mission to put friction on the player. This isn't 2016 anymore. We've had a one-man-army gameplay loop for several years in a row now. It is what it is.

I have my bias as someone who's built out the entire arsenal, and this mode feels good with the way it is. I want that to be preserved, even if this thread is a hot take for some and some players might see me as "gate-keeping" or "elitist" for wanting this mode to dish out the maximum rewards strictly to those who deserve it, not free lunch carries.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Voltage:

The mode did not release to be intentionally trivial. That is the entire point of Research Points. This thread is about fixing a loophole that undermines the key mechanics of the missions. I'm not asking to "feel special". I can already take care of that myself through my own progression choices. I'm asking for the mode to only reward players who engage with Research Points the intended way, not rewarding a progression loophole. Do you also support the usage of a matchmaking exploit to bypass the Rank 5 Fortuna requirement of participating in Profit-Taker? Because you're arguing the same point here. Having the allowance to be carried in this mode is corrosive to how the mode works.

what loophole players can choose what they want and de intentionaly did it that way player can interact with each other
it is not the same as going out your way to make something possible to go to the profittaker bossfight without Rank 5 in fortuna btw i dont know that method and for the most part assumed you need Rank 5

but what can i still say if you want a group that Does every modifier you can just find people to do that noone stopping you from doing so but you choose that it is not enough every one else has to play the same way as you because else it is not to your likeing

and what is about corrosive to the game mode because people like to have a easy time? while others have a challange why does that bother you in any way i mean i am not here and say your have to be a lunatic to do all modifiers i say go if thats what you wanna do go for it have fun

But beeing in the ELITE mindset that everyone has to do the same thing is toxic to the gameplay it is the same agument that people always say if you dont play how i want you to play you are a piece of .... and thats what i find mutch worse that some people doing something an easy way

all i can see is a person that cant be bothered to play privat with people that like to play the same as the player but goes into public lobbys because he is to lazy therefor public lobbys have to be forced in the same mindset of the "elite player"
in a public lobby known for chaos noone doing anything and not a single thought of planing

do you see Public lobbys as a bonus modifikator?

Edited by Keiyadan
  • Like 2

This method is very overrated.  The only people I imagine doing it are basically two friends that only have like 5-10 weapons and frames each and only the most meta stuff that masks their game knowledge.  I don't know how much of the base that makes up.  Any 4 person group that is sharing their info should easily be able to do the challenge.  Pubs are different since it will likely be lesser prepared players, who aren't communicating who should bring what.  It just seems like a waste of time for that 4 person group.  If they can do it 2 by 2, they should be able to do it 4 way.

Additionally, if they just prevented you from running again with others after receiving max rewards, this would basically put a stop to that, or at least make it a lot harder to do.  Or they could make a separate matchmaking pool for players who received max rewards already.  Or they could impose a diamond level after receiving rewards, so you could get carried, but couldn't immediately turn around and carry your friend - they'd have to find someone else.  This would basically kill it because its too much work.

Also, it still is probably worth it for only 20 research points.  You'd get two rewards from A and one from B, and that's more than two netracell runs.  So splitting up matchmaking would affect all kinds of people between 20-37.  We don't have the data on what people are doing.  There's probably some that are confused on the reward table as well and aren't doing it optimally.

If you're only matched with 37ers too, its probably more likely you will run into players that are capable, which would make it easier for you (unless matchmaking is broken).  If there isn't a cap on the number of attempts, then there isn't really a downside for players to keep running on max until they get a good squad, other than failure rates and lost time.  Time is another thing the trade-off people are losing, and its not a guarantee they will get it done in two attempts.

They could have steeper entry requirements, although I don't know what those would be.  You should have steel path completed at least.  I am sure if it's a big enough issue where people aren't really feeling much incentive to invest in anything as a result of workarounds, then I expect that to be addressed.  

• Like 1

Gear RNG is not difficulty so there is no argument for 'preserving' any difficulty at all or keeping a level playing field - these things are not there by design in the first place.
The mode is already cheap lottery and gear-hoarding-(whale)-check instead of a challenge (where player actions and decisions should matter above all, not luck with gear).
And most people who come in with lower points simply dont hoard mr fodder - thus they have to give up few points to be able to play at all and use what they already own. Locking out matchmaking in already restricted mode makes no sense and wouldn't achieve anything good. I'm playing with 37 points cause I can  - so I would be just sitting there alone, since 90% of people select fewer points. See how bad this idea is for everyone.

A good design change would be adding more modifiers to chose from so you are required to pick say, 5 gimping modifiers out of 7 available - making player decisions matter and allowing more room for loadout building yet keeping it difficult. 
And just ban all the OP gear from it - if DE is too scared to upset the easy-mode players to nerf cheese frames and weapons then at least restrict them from the 'hard' mode. Gear rng in a terribly unbalanced game is not a challenge, not 'endgame', I wish DE would understand it. 
It shouldn't be a matter of good gear roll = autowin, bad gear roll = locked out.

DE, the plat some people spend on slots or rushing for more mr fodder is not worth this.

• Like 2

Even if that would make sense, I don't think that's even possible. The matchmaking is already dead at the end of the week, if you split it in 10? sub-groups, you can be sure that thing's gonna be dead even on Tuesday, with only some 34-37 groups filling rather quickly on reset day

I don't think there's a good solution to that and that's why they opted out of it. It even makes people collaborate with others so it's not even that bad

• Like 2

No thank you

It's a squad based game and having some users with some aspects turned on or off still impacts the squad as a collective. I understand that one can just use what they want (like using abilities from the start without squad having to kill 50 enemies) in order to make things easier, but while it helps the squad, it still impacts the personal rewards.

hace 2 horas, Chewarette dijo:

The matchmaking is already dead at the end of the week

True, and thats weird because there is people that say that there is no proof that this gamemode is depised by the community.

12 minutes ago, Gaxxian said:

True, and thats weird because there is people that say that there is no proof that this gamemode is depised by the community.

It has more to do with the fact it's a one-and-done activity, which is also the endgamest we have (so not accessible to everyone).

If the sortie was a once-a-week activity & limited to MRL4, even if it rewarded 500 :platinum: per completion, the matchmaking would be dead on Sunday as well, whatever what the community deem of its intrinsic quality

Edited by Chewarette