Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ongoing: Obsolete Descriptions.

[DE]Rebecca

Not exactly obsolete, but outright wrong.

Boltor prime.

"Fires Orokin designed bolts that are faster and sharper but with reduced range"

As far as im aware theres no range limit on any weapon and if its supposed to mean dmg falloff then it also doesnt have 1.

Not exactly obsolete, but outright wrong.

Boltor prime.

"Fires Orokin designed bolts that are faster and sharper but with reduced range"

As far as im aware theres no range limit on any weapon and if its supposed to mean dmg falloff then it also doesnt have 1.

This.

There's no falloff for the Boltor Prime's projectiles and its bolts travel faster than the original Boltor's.

Wouldn't it be "Stalkers's" since it's still its name? I'm fairly certain, anyway. o 3o

I always thought you just added an apostrophe to anything that ends with an "s," though I do believe proper names are given that exclusion.

Stalker is his name, not Stalkers. If it was singular possessive and the name ended in an "s", yes, you'd be correct.

However this is a plural possessive of a name that doesn't end in "s". Thus it is Stalkers'.

Still pretty irrelevant since there is illegedly only one Stalker.

Great thread. I'll focus my attention on Warframe/Archwing ability descriptions and stats. Some of the displayed stats in the Abilities UI are indeed obsolete, inaccurate, or ambiguous, and in rare cases the stats are limited and fail to give the player a basic understanding of the ability's mechanics. Given that there appears to be a limit of six stats per ability in the UI, I will keep that limit in mind when making suggestions.

Ash

eZNFqNY.jpg

Shuriken

"Launches a spinning blade of pain, dealing high damage and impaling enemies to walls."

Impalement is an obsolete mechanic. Shurikens have not impaled enemies to walls in very long time and have since been modified to deal guaranteed bleed damage. This bleed damage should be mentioned instead.

As for the stats, Shuriken does not have infinite range. Specifying the "SEEKING RANGE (METERS)" of Shuriken (even if the value does not change with rank) and the appropriate units would be ideal here.

Smoke Screen

As there are still five empty spaces for stats in the UI, Smoke Screen's "STUN RADIUS (METERS)" and units should also be mentioned here. This is an example of a stat that does not appear to change with rank but is affected by mods. In my opinion, stats that meet these criteria should always be included regardless if they're constant values.

While this may come off as a nitpick, the "Power Duration"; stat should read "POWER DURATION (SECONDS)" or "POWER DURATION (SEC)" to specify the units of time. Seconds may be the only units of time to be concerned about in this game, but so are meters in regards to units of length, and most power range stats include the units.

Teleport

"Ash teleports towards the target, bringing him into melee range and enemies vulnerable to finishers."

There's nothing inaccurate about that statement, but the wording is a little off. Teleport brings Ash into melee range, and it also brings enemies vulnerable to finishers. See how that last part doesn't make much sense? Perhaps adding "making" before "enemies" would work better here.

Blade Storm

While the description isn't wrong, it does appear to be outdated since it's referring to the previous iteration of Blade Storm. There is no mention of Ash's clones or the guaranteed bleed damage.

Power range affects two mechanics of Blade Storm: the casting range and the attack radius centered on the selected target. The current "Power Range (Meters)" stat is referring only to the attack radius. My suggestion here is to rename the current "Power Range (Meters)" stat to "ATTACK RADIUS (METERS)" while adding a new stat named "POWER RANGE (METERS)" with a value of "50." This value corresponds to the 50-meter casting range of Blade Storm.

Other suggestion is to include Blade Storm's "ATTACK LIMIT." Ash may be able to target a maximum of 18 enemies within 25 meters of a selected target, but he does not necessarily attack them until they die. There is a finite number of attacks that Ash can make on his own, and I think including that information would be appropriate.

Banshee

alHiK9n.jpg

Sonic Boom

"Banshee emits a sonic shockwave that pushes targets in range with enough force to incapacitate or kill attackers."

This is more of a nitpick than anything else. The way "sonic" is used here can either mean the shock wave has a relation with sound waves (which would make the adjective redundant based on a shock wave's definition), or it means the shock wave is traveling at the speed of sound (which is inaccurate as a propagating wave must exceed the speed of sound in a medium to be considered a shock wave). The term "sonic" isn't needed in that sentence.

As for the stats, the "Power Strength" stat is ambiguous. What exactly is this stat referring to? The "Damage" stat is straightforward as is the "Power Range" stat. I had assumed this stat referred to Sonic Boom's push strength, but from the testing I did in the past I was not able to observe any noticeable effects. If these are obsolete parameters that are not used in the current iteration of Sonic Boom, that stat does not need to be displayed. If these parameters are being used in the code but have non-observable effects in-game, something more descriptive than "Power Strength" should define them in the UI.

Sonar

"Using acoustic location, Banshee's Sonar power finds and tracks enemies, and exposes critical weak spots to everyone in your squad.

"Banshee's Sonar power" can be simplified to just "Banshee's Sonar" or "Sonar." The comma before "and" is not needed unless the dependent clause after the comma is modified to be independent. Most Warframe ability descriptions maintain immersion by referring to the specific Warframe and not the player. So for consistency, I think "your" should be changed to "Banshee's" or "her" depending on how "Banshee's Sonar power" is simplified.

The units should also be included in the "Power Duration" stat.

Silence

Other than adding units to the "Power Duration" stat, everything looks fine.

Sound Quake

The only stat suggestion I'd make here is to include the "INITIAL RADIUS (METERS)" of Sound Quake along with the appropriate units. To clarify, I'm not talking about the damage-over-time stagger radius as detailed in the "Power Range" stat. I'm referring to the radius of the initial damage that occurs around Banshee the moment she slams her hands into the ground. This is an entirely different range stat.

Edited by PsycloneM

Chroma

Heat

hrt1kOw.jpg

Electricity

8OZFUDR.jpg

Toxin

fGINL9i.jpg

Cold

6eqEliu.jpg

Spectral Scream

I'd like to start things off by discussing percentages in stats. Percentages are not consistently displayed in the UI. In some cases, you'll have a percent sign (%) in the stat with the corresponding value displayed as a percentage on the right. In other cases, you'll have the percent sign with the corresponding value displayed as a decimal and not a percentage. In rare cases, there's no percent sign displayed at all.

For consistency, let's have all values that are intended to be percentages displayed as percentages with the corresponding percent sign in the stat. So with Spectral Scream, the stat should read "STATUS CHANCE (%)" to indicate that the value on the right is indeed a percentage.

In addition, an "ENERGY PER SECOND" stat should be added to indicate Spectral Scream's energy drain.

Elemental Ward

"Depending on Chroma's elemental alignment, an offensive area-of-effect is created. Chroma and its nearby allies are imbued with defensive energy."

"Its" should be changed to "his." Chroma is male and is referred to as such in Effigy's description.

Heat

The "Health" stat, while not inaccurate for Chroma, depends on the affected Warframe's base health. At rank 3, Elemental Ward grants a health boost equal to 200% of the Warframe's base health. Since Chroma has 100 base health, that corresponds to 200 additional health. Warframes that do not have 100 base health will not receive 200 health while in the area of effect. The "Health" stat should be changed to "HEALTH INCREASE (%)" to represent the mechanics.

The "Power Duration" stat should include units, and the "Status Chance" stat should include a percent sign.

Finally, a "DAMAGE RADIUS (METERS)" or "DAMAGE AURA (METERS)" stat should be added to indicate the flame aura's reach.

Electricity

Similar to the "Health" stat from heat, the "Shield Capacity" is actually a percentage of the affected Warframe's base shields. Since Chroma has 100 base shields, he'll have 100 additional shields when rank-3 Elemental Ward is cast. This may not be true for other Warframes. So, the "Shield Capacity" stat should be changed to "SHIELD INCREASE (%)" to represent the mechanics.

The "Power Duration" stat should include units, and the "Status Chance" stat should include a percent sign.

Finally, a "SHOCK RANGE (METERS)" stat should be included to show how far the lightning extends.

Toxin

Following the trend, the "Stamina Max" stat is actually a percentage of the affected Warframe's base stamina. The stat should read "STAMINA INCREASE (%)" for similar reasons.

"Stamina Cost Reduction" should have a percent sign included. The corresponding values should be multiplied by 100 to convert the numbers into percentages. At rank 3, the value should read "30" as opposed to "0.3." The "Power Duration" stat should include units, and the "Status Chance" stat should include a percent sign.

Finally, there is no information on the damage that the toxin aura does. From observation, the "Status Chance" stat is referring to the probability of inflicting 5% of the enemy's maximum health as toxin damage (which deals an additional 22.5% of the enemy's max health as toxin damage over 8 seconds). There should be a "DAMAGE %" stat to indicate this. I would also suggest a "DAMAGE RADIUS (METERS)" or "DAMAGE AURA (METERS)" stat to detail the toxin aura's reach, but we've hit the six stat limit.

Cold

Similar to previous cases, the "Armor" stat is a percentage of the affected Warframe's base armor. At rank 3, Elemental Ward does not grant Chroma 150 additional armor but 150% of his base armor. The stat should read "ARMOR INCREASE (%)" for similar reasons.

Vex Armor

"When shields are hit, Chroma's armor grows stronger, when health takes a hit, weapon damage increases."

The comma after "stronger" should be a period or semicolon.

Regarding stats, let me step back and discuss ability multipliers. An ability multiplier is a number that is directly applied to the total value of a specific quantity. As we saw back with Banshee's Sonar, hitting a weak spot will multiply the total damage at that spot by a specific value: the critical multiplier as displayed in the UI.

So for consistency, if a stat is a multiplier it should be represented as such. With Chroma, Vex Armor multiplies Chroma's total armor by a specific value. The listed percentages are not applied to Chroma's base armor like Cold Elemental Ward. So the "Armor Increase (%)" stat should read "ARMOR MULTIPLIER," and the corresponding values should be divided by 100. At rank 3, the value should read "3.5" as opposed to "350."

As there's still room for more stats, a "SCORN CONVERSION (%)" stat and "FURY CONVERSION (%)" stat should be added to explain how much the bonuses from Scorn and Fury increase for every point of shields or health lost respectively. At rank 3 for example, Scorn is observed to increase by an additional 0.875% for every point of shields lost, and Fury is observed to increase by an additional 1.75% for every point of health lost. The stats for Scorn and Fury would have values of "0.875" and "1.75" respectively.

The "Power Duration" stat should include units.

Effigy

"Chroma turns his pelt into a massive sentry that strengthens nearby allies and engulfs enemies in elemental attacks."

As far as I'm aware, Effigy does not activate Elemental Ward on itself. Effigy does not strengthen nearby allies. What could be mentioned here is how Effigy stuns and incapacitates enemies within range.

I would like to see information regarding Effigy's energy drain and attack range, but unfortunately the ability has already hit the six-stat limit.

Regarding the current stats in the UI, "Additional Credit Chance" should have a percent sign, and its corresponding values should be multiplied by 100 to convert them into percentages. The "0.5" value for "Armor Reduction (%)" should read "50" as it's a 50% armor reduction and not a 0.5% armor reduction. The "0.2" value for "Speed Increase (%)" should read "20" for similar reasons.

The "Credit Multiplier" stat could be reformatted for clarity. A multiplier of "1" at rank 3 seems like you are not obtaining additional credits from Effigy kills (Total Credits x 1 = Total Credits). Perhaps rewording the stat to read "CREDIT INCREASE (%)" and multiplying the corresponding values by 100 would more accurately describe the mechanics. With that change, I would assume that Effigy kills at rank 3 have a chance to yield 100% additional credits.

Finally, the "Damage" stat is misleading. Like other abilities that deal damage in ticks (not necessarily damage per second), the displayed stat refers to a single instance of damage. I know from testing that at rank 3, Effigy does not deal 400 damage per tick: it's significantly higher. I'll dive into this further in the future, but right now the stat does not properly represent the damage that's inflicted in-game.

Edited by PsycloneM

Orokin Reactor

"Reactor used to super-charge Warframes. Doubles the available Mod Capacity on a Warframe or Sentinel."

Despite the implications that sentinels are Warframes, the description needs to be tweaked to cover Kubrows, soon-to-be Catbrows, and Archwings.

My suggestion would be thus:

"Orokin modification technology used to super-charge armor. Doubles the available Mod Capacity on Warframes, Archwings, and Companions."

Nekro -

Needs added

Soul punch adds victims to SotD counter.

Archwing Alerts-

Add (AW) infront of any Archwing Alert on the Alert Menu.

I see Exterminate

Interceptiion

Sabotage I get :)

Click the dang alert to launch /check it

Q_Q because it didnt tell me at the Alert Tab 1st its NOT Archwing. If (Archwing) can fit at the end of a tile, (AW), should fit at the beginning of an Alert in the alert menu.

Archwing-not sure where this would fit exactly.

But the majority of damagage dealing powers, will destroy missiles.

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck

Ember

JTE5bCo.jpg

Fireball

"Launches a fiery projectile. It deals high fire damage on contact and moderate fire damage to any who enter the lingering flames."

"Fire damage" should read "heat damage" for consistency. "Lingering flames" refers to an obsolete mechanic of Fireball that has since been replaced. Prior to Ember's first rework, Fireball would create a small area of flames after the initial impact. Removing this outdated information and mentioning Fireball's guaranteed heat proc on impact with the initial target and chance to proc on surrounding enemies would work better here.

As for the stats, the "Area Damage" and "Damage" stats are accurate but the "Damage Per Second" stat is not. This stat is obsolete as it's referring to the area damage over time that Fireball inflicted in its first iteration (as previously mentioned). The stat is not referring to the heat proc's damage over time, which would be 50% of Fireball's damage per second. Upon inspection, one might say that the stat is fine since 50% of 400 is 200. However at ranks 1 and 2, the "Damage Per Second" stat reads "125" and "175," while the "Damage" reads "275" and "300" respectively. 125 is not 50% of 275, and 175 is not 50% of 300. The "Damage Per Second" stat is referring to an outdated mechanic and should be removed.

Other than that, Fireball's "EXPLOSION RADIUS (METERS)" should be mentioned here.

Accelerant

"Stun nearby enemies with strong accelerant. Increases all fire damage dealt."

"Fire damage" should be changed to "heat damage" for consistency.

Other than including units for the "Power Duration" stat, everything looks fine.

Fire Blast

"Slams the ground for high damage in a small radius and creates a persistent ring of fire which deals high damage over time."

The description has not changed in accordance to Fire Blast's rework in which the initial damage has been removed. Fire Blast now creates an expanding wave that damages enemies with a guaranteed heat proc and knocks them back. The persistent ring of fire in the description is fine.

Regarding the stats, the "Damage" and "Power Range (Meters)" stats are outdated.

The "150" damage seen for rank 3 is referring to the obsolete initial damage as well as the damage from the ring. The current iteration of Fire Blast also has two means of inflicting damage: the expanding wave (200 damage at rank 3) and the lingering ring (225 damage at rank 3). Both instances of damage are not only higher than 150, they are not equal values as they were in the past. So let's refer to the damage of the expanding wave as "WAVE DAMAGE" and the damage of the ring as "RING DAMAGE." These stats should be added to the UI with the current "Damage" stat replaced.

The "Power Range (Meters)" stat is referring to the blast radius of the obsolete initial damage. This stat should be replaced by a "WAVE RADIUS (METERS)" stat for the radius of the expanding wave and "RING RADIUS (METERS)" stat for the radius of the lingering ring of fire.

Let's see some units for the "Power Duration" stat.

World on Fire

"Deals high damage over time."

Compared to other ability descriptions, this description is lacking. My suggestion here to have some fun with the description while briefly touching up on World on Fire's primary mechanics.

As for the stats, there should be units with the "Power Duration" stat. The "Status Chance" stat should have a percent sign, and the corresponding values should be multiplied by 100 to convert them into percentages. At rank 3, the value should read "35" and not "0.35."

Also, now that World on Fire drains energy there should be an "ENERGY PER SECOND" stat.

Excalibur

Pending rework.

Slash Dash

Pending rework.

Radial Blind

Pending rework.

Radial Javelin

Pending rework.

???

Pending rework.

Edited by PsycloneM

Rebecca, with the probable re-addition of charge attacks, wont some obsolete descriptions be still applicable, like the Galatine, for example?

I don't know, but mentioning charge attacks on a per-weapon level seems maybe unneeded anyway if charge attacks return to melee as a whole - will lead to the question of do weapons without explicit 'charge attack' in description not have it? etc.

I think I've made about 50% progress so far from items in this thread - keep 'em comin!

Phage no longer corrodes, it depletes life with Viral damage.

etc.

Items I'm unsure of right now = Volt/Frame 'role' things but the tabs are open for ways to approach.

I feel like all the weapons that mention multi-hit like the Galatine should have their descriptions changed because as far as I'm aware, all weapons can attack multiple targets - I could be wrong, so I'd like a second opinion on whether multi-hit still exists. Unfortunately I don't have a list of descriptions that include it.

Items I'm unsure of right now = Volt/Frame 'role' things but the tabs are open for ways to approach.

Well I can understand your concern for other frames, but Volt isn't really high damage (not any higher than most frames) and with two of his powers complementing weaponry I wouldn't precisely call him an alternative to gunplay.

Well I can understand your concern for other frames, but Volt isn't really high damage (not any higher than most frames) and with two of his powers complementing weaponry I wouldn't precisely call him an alternative to gunplay.

A lot of powers meant to be damage powers really aren't due to power scaling issues.

DE has mentioned they are working on an overall fix to that. How that effects the frames, including volt, is unknown.

He could end up a high damage frame in pve just as he is in pvp (where there are no mod stacking and scaling issues)

Also, only one of volts powers improves guns. Electric shield.

But the other, speed, improves melee weapons. Melee weapons are not "gunplay" so that actually fits within the description of alternative to gunplay.

alternative to gunplay doesn't have to only mean spells....

So really. It's not hard to see how "unsure of right now" is the right response.

EDIT: but I know you guys aren't even listening..sigh.

Edited by Ronyn

The versatile warrior thing is still a good description. Replace the "powers can be an alternative to gunplay" by "Powers that increase the efficiency of your weaponry" : Volt is nowhere an alternative to guns. You may keep the "high damage" thing, but it's not a high damage from his powers. It's more high damage from the guns he buffed.

The versatile warrior thing is still a good description. Replace the "powers can be an alternative to gunplay" by "Powers that increase the efficiency of your weaponry" : Volt is nowhere an alternative to guns. You may keep the "high damage" thing, but it's not a high damage from his powers. It's more high damage from the guns he buffed.

Actual flavor text says " Volt can create and harness electrical elements. This is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play. "

And again-

A lot of powers meant to be damage powers really aren't due to power scaling issues.

DE has mentioned they are working on an overall fix to that. How that effects the frames, including volt, is unknown.

He could end up a high damage frame in pve just as he is in pvp (where there are no mod stacking and scaling issues)

But the other, speed, improves melee weapons. Melee weapons are not "gunplay" so that actually fits within the description of alternative to gunplay.

So really. It's not hard to see how "unsure of right now" is the right response.

Edited by Ronyn

Because we are clearly in disagreement, an 'alternative to gunplay' would imply that the combination of his powers alone could replace usage of guns, no matter how you look at it that is not the case, also you're picking straws here and basing your statements on hopes of things that have yet to happen, that does not justify Volt's description's innacuracy.

Volt is known right now for being a frame that is versatile (CC, buffs, defenses), not for being a damage dealer.

Because we are clearly in disagreement, 

Indeed.

an 'alternative to gunplay' would imply that the combination of his powers alone could replace usage of guns, no matter how you look at it that is not the case,  also you're picking straws here and basing your statements on hopes of things that have yet to happen, that does not justify Volt's description's innacuracy.

"power alone" is not what it implies.

1: Melee is also an alternative to gunplay factually speaking. That is not a matter of opinion, it's reading comprehension.

Unless youre going to tell me that melee is, in fact, gunplay...heh

2: Even if did mean "power alone", damage scaling problems account for a lot of weak powers in the game. Look through all of the frame descriptions.. A lot of powers are described as being good at damage yet actually aren't in the current game. Think about it...how many so-called damage powers are actually sort of weak? Is the lack of accuracy in reference to damage output unique to Volt? Not even close. So do they go through and change EVERY description of a power that says some version of "this does good damage"? Again, DE just recently mentioned how damage powers aren't scaling like they want them to.  Does that include Volts powers? does it not. WE DON'T KNOW.

3: I'm not "hoping" for anything. I'm acknowledging multiple ways it could go. If DE decides they like volt not being high damage that is cool, if they decide they want him to be high damage that is also cool. All I'm saying...is that with the current scaling issues on damage powers their intent on that issue is not entirely clear.

Volt is known right now for being a frame that is versatile (CC, buffs, defenses), not for being a damage dealer.

I am aware of what most people view him as currently. And, considering the state of him at this time, it makes perfect sense because it is true in PVE. Yet, with how much damage he can spew out in pvp without using guns...I cant help but be uncertain which way DE wants him to go.

Also note: has anyone considered that perhaps Rebecca is unsure about it because maybe..just maybe...she actually asked and there was no simple answer from the design team.  because maybe..just maybe..its not as simple as you guys think.

At the very least she has access to people and potentially information we don't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to derail the thread here. I just want everyone to remember that there is...

more to consider on this stuff.

Take EVERYTHING we know into account, put that against EVERYTHING we don't know...

and it's easy to see that being unsure is reasonable.

Edited by Ronyn

I don't know, but mentioning charge attacks on a per-weapon level seems maybe unneeded anyway if charge attacks return to melee as a whole - will lead to the question of do weapons without explicit 'charge attack' in description not have it? etc.

I think I've made about 50% progress so far from items in this thread - keep 'em comin!

Phage no longer corrodes, it depletes life with Viral damage.

etc.

Nice to know :)