The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Devaluation of Platinum

Hello everyone and good afternoon

I do not know if there's another thread with this topic. I found none, so I thought I'd start. I am playing Warframe on the ps4. And I know the PC is ahead of us with updates. Anyhow, I have been trading for a while. I will not use real money to buy platinum. I farm and farm until I get things I want to either use or sell. But I have noticed prices dropping more and !ore recently. People selling primed frames for 75 platinum when the standard version sells on the market for 375 platinum. Now I know that because it is an obtainable item that many can acquire through farming that the price will of course be lower. But I believe that people who are in a rush to sell whatever item they're trying to sell are seriously harming the value of platinum. 

I will see one person attempt to sell Trinity prime for 200 platinum. But then others eager to sell theirs more quickly will drop all the way down to 120 platinum just to make sure they get the sale. I know this can be true for real life as well. But real life has other factors, such as materials used to build the item and in turn, longevity. So that does not apply here. Anyway, my point is that I wish some would consider what they're doing before they keep lowering their prices. At this rate Mag Prime will sell for 20 platinum after they put her back in the vault. So just something to consider. I understand prices will rise and fall. But to let them fall so low is not healthy. Thank you and have a great day

Edited by NovusNova
Removed "PSA" tag

There's always another side to this argument - if your stuff sells for less, because people drop prices, then you can also buy other people's stuff for less. A devaluation of platinum really just affects buying marketplace stuff with fixed values like syandanas and cosmetic armors.

i dont see the problem. You cant enforce people to sell at prices they want it to be whether  its higher or lower. Also Mag prime set for 20p? On PC server i used to sell mag prime for around that before the vault, so thats nothing new to me, although i dont know about the PS4 side of things.

As players its much better than the opposite trend, where real money goods keep going up and the only way to get that much ingame currency is to spend roughly 6 hours a day for 10 days to get the latest cash item (*cough* atlantica online *cough*) or just buy the item from the cash shop. (and maybe pray to RNG).

Edited by dual1020

It's oversaturation of the market, from differences in drop chances and prime part locations, new primes are located in rotation Cs and wave 20s of T3 and T4 with low drop chances which are a pain in the &#! and keep the rarity up for a while, then a new prime comes out, and the previous one gets bumped down to easier missions.

Edited by rapt0rman

Prices are dropping because people are tolerating it and settling for less.  I made a post about this a few days ago, because nothing is more precious than your time.  On the pc end I see people offering less and less for stuff, and of course some of the same people don't budge on prices.  Usually a primed mod, maxed, goes for 450p to 600p.  I believe it's 1p per R5 core, and 536 to fill one.  Some people will just charge the 450p to 500p, being nice, while others will charge the 600p because of the time to grind the ducats to get the mod and the grind fest to get the R5 cores to fill them.  Someone can grind the core in a day or two, or more causal players may take longer.   So would you sell yourself short for something that took you days to fill ?  I remember someone wanting to give me 20p for an item that usually goes for 100p +,  and it took me a week to get this piece because of the RNG.  Of course I put them on ignore,  it was flat out insulting.  Syndicate mods use to sell for 15p to 20p, and was a nice way to make some plat, but now I''ve seen as low as 5p and 10p.  it could be possible that people, and their friends, are doing this on purpose to set the tone and get stuff cheap, and turn around and sell it high.   As of right now I'm sitting on tons of primed mods , and primed pieces, because of people being cheap and telling me what something is worth.  And once the new system is in place the same people who lowered the prices, and got all those cheap parts, are going to make a killing on everyone.   To me the bottom line is, what is your time and effort worth ?  If you think that 2 or 3 days, or even a week of grinding is only worth 10p to 20p, then they can knock themselves out.   You time is valuable, don't let them take that away from you.

1 hour ago, (PS4)XxCagedSoulxX said:

But I have noticed prices dropping more and !ore recently. People selling primed frames for 75 platinum when the standard version sells on the market for 375 platinum.

Not the best argument to be honest considering how many other normal variants sell for 75. Omissions of facts are never fun.

26 minutes ago, KinetosImpetus said:

High supply, low demand = low price. No conspiracy. 

^

It's not the devaluation of platinum as much as it is the devaluation of prime items. You're not the only one farming, many are. This inflates the amount of primes, driving down their value. It's basic supply and demand. Trinity prime is an old frame, many have farmed it by now. It's value is bound to drop. The amount of new platinum introduced in the economy isn't enough to offset the supply of prime items, hence platinum remaining more valuable compared to them.

The big reason why I never sell anything at greater then the price of 100 Platinum is simply because I am a man with simple needs. Slots is all I will ever want and all I will ever need. Therefore, because I find any more then this ridiculously costly for impractical accessories, this form of sales is what I will continue to do until the end of time. I'm sorry that this may be affecting your profit margins, but, I'm simply to set in my ways to change at the moment.

I feel like things should have a set price.... kinda like a Auction House in games like WoW or Rift and like the GE in Runescape were you can go -5% (or more) the base price to get a faster sell or +5% (or more) and wate a few minutes,hours ect to sell the item but at a higher price...instead of letting the players make up there own prices....just IMO though so.

The price also depends a lot on how long you're willing to look. If an item is usually sold for 70-100, you can easily get it for 40-50 if you keep asking long enough - someone is bound to either 1. have several copies and be glad to get rid of even one at a decent price or 2. be desperate enough to need that plat NOW to accept your lower offer. Supply and demand obviously drive the prices down as well, but it also depends a lot on the buyer/seller - If you have a spare part, but only one or two of them, and don't need the plat immediately, why would you sell it cheaper than what you thought you'd get?

15 hours ago, Berserkerkitten said:

There's always another side to this argument - if your stuff sells for less, because people drop prices, then you can also buy other people's stuff for less. A devaluation of platinum really just affects buying marketplace stuff with fixed values like syandanas and cosmetic armors.

This is how I've made myself filthy, smelly and dirty rich in nearly every MMO I've ever played. Buy low and sell high is a golden standard of trading.

If people sell that Prime for 120 when it's worth 200 then you best believe you better buy it. An 80 Platinum profit is a tidy sum.

Some people don't have time to trade so they go for quick sells. Don't be intimidated by it but also know your risks.

16 hours ago, (PS4)XxCagedSoulxX said:

Hello everyone and good afternoon

I do not know if there's another thread with this topic. I found none, so I thought I'd start. I am playing Warframe on the ps4. And I know the PC is ahead of us with updates. Anyhow, I have been trading for a while. I will not use real money to buy platinum. I farm and farm until I get things I want to either use or sell. But I have noticed prices dropping more and !ore recently. People selling primed frames for 75 platinum when the standard version sells on the market for 375 platinum. Now I know that because it is an obtainable item that many can acquire through farming that the price will of course be lower. But I believe that people who are in a rush to sell whatever item they're trying to sell are seriously harming the value of platinum. 

I will see one person attempt to sell Trinity prime for 200 platinum. But then others eager to sell theirs more quickly will drop all the way down to 120 platinum just to make sure they get the sale. I know this can be true for real life as well. But real life has other factors, such as materials used to build the item and in turn, longevity. So that does not apply here. Anyway, my point is that I wish some would consider what they're doing before they keep lowering their prices. At this rate Mag Prime will sell for 20 platinum after they put her back in the vault. So just something to consider. I understand prices will rise and fall. But to let them fall so low is not healthy. Thank you and have a great day

First of all, you can't point to the marketplace and non primed warframes as a price point for player trading.  We can't trade them at all, the prices are massively inflated, and only an idiot would buy one without a coupon.  The one non prime we can both trade and buy from the game is Nezha.  Cut her price in half with a coupon, subtract 20 for the potato, 20 for the slot, and 20 for the inconvenience of having to buy a separate blueprint and go through trading and you get about 80p, which is in the range of what a nezha set actually goes for.

On the other hand, I have noticed a lot of push back against prices on the XBOX trade channel lately.  Lots of hostile players trying to buy Frost/Ember for less than 1000 as they complain about prices.  Random players telling me syndicate mods are worth exactly 10p even as I'm selling to someone else at 20p.

Xbox prices tend to be much higher than PC prices.  Maybe the Xbox community is maturing.  Less new players and a higher level player base means less plat being bought, and more players who have found prime items or advanced in their syndicates.

Personally, I think you are right about sellers taking responsibility.  I have made a fortune selling syndicate mods, enough to buy all prime warframes including the vaulted ones, plus whatever mods and prime parts I need.  I will never sell a single mod for less than 20p or a bundle of mods for less than 15p per mod because I know that's what people will pay.  I turn down offers less than that all the time so I don't undercut the value of my mods.  I do think that prices are going to drop though, eventually ending up at PC prices around 10 per mod.

The start of the price dumping, at least on PS4, correlated pretty strongly with the end of the school year.  Higher population of sellers, especially one that's skewed towards a population that doesn't have the greatest understanding of time is money, is of course going to drive prices down. Just take advantage of it, buy stuff on the cheap, and when the trade channel population goes back down (i.e. start of school year), reap the profits. 

As a benchmark, ember is going for roughly 600 for us. As a slight tangent, keep in mind there's a strong likelihood she's coming back at Christmas. Inb4 new starchart is going to reopen the vault, because no, it isn't. 

If people need to undercut prices to secure sales, that sounds like offer being higher than demand. It would therefore make sense that prices would be bound to drop.
The price for items also depends on how much you value your time (which also depends on how lucky you where when farming such items) and on how much you care about having a specific ammount of extra platinum. There's no standard there, and as such a call for artificially fixing prices won't work.

Anyway, what's described in the OP is exactly the opposite of "devaluation of platinum". 

I think the OP understands the dynamics of the trade system and is just making it clear to those who may be undercutting themselves in the longrun to make a few quick plat sales immediately.

This happens irl with many freelance industries with no established price points, clients can play freelancers against each other knowing ultimately some freelancers are desperate and will take the short money. This brings the price down and often the amount of work needed to be done increases for less pay.

17 hours ago, (XB1)BULLS 0N PAR4DE said:

Plat in general is out of wack now. People are charging and paying 1500P for a Ember Prime on XB1. That is silly crazy stupid for a frame. I'm sure it's not that much on PC or PS4. It is a open market my friend prices will change regardless. Like it or not but that's just how the market rolls.

It is quite definitely that much on PC

Isn't this how a free market is supposed to operate? 

Demand sets prices, not supply. No matter how "valuable" a thing is, if there's only one buyer, and he or she is only willing to pay $X for the item, then that's how much it's worth right now.  The seller can wait and hope for a better offer, or they can accept that right now, $X is what the item is worth.

Plus, with a major availability change in the wind, maybe folk are thinking that it might be best to take what you can get (half a loaf is better than no loaf at all).  One of the things this impending update was designed to address was reducing the grind somewhat.  With that in mind, more folk may be willing to go get what they want on their own, and not buy it on the secondary market.  It's easy to imagine that having an effect on Plat pricing.

Edited by FierceRadiance