Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bladestorm rework feedback

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

3 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

Fair. Most Warframe abilities can interrupt many others. But when you compare a knockdown, status proc or whatever to an effortless instakill on the part of the second party, which is more cheap?

Well, at least Ash can use Smoke Screen and go revive (unless they coupled f^cking FE AND TF)

You can always get off the ground, or move out of range after the first fire column hits you (assuming you survive). Ash just wipes you immediately. Furthermore, "other frames can do it too" is not a justification for Ash being allowed to do it. If it's that disruptive, maybe they should rework WoF as well.

WoF just needs what Valkyr got for Hysteria: Ramp up drain as it goes eventually being impossible to sustain and only affect enemies within LoS of Ember.

These don't instakill you. Therefore they're not as bad, unless getting frozen or disarmed for several seconds is somehow worse than immediate death. And again, "other stuff causes problems too" is not an argument for Bladestorm in any way.

Sure, for melee players dissarm means jack, but for a vast majority of players is a death sentence, same for being cold proced or slowed to a crawl while taking massive damage. I'm not justifying BS being able to do that, but I'm pointing out Ash WASN'T the only culprit of friendly fire scr*wups due to mindless spam of X weapon/ability.

My initial point, if you recall, was that whether or not Ash is perfected after this update (and let's face, what Warframe is perfect?), the new Bladestorm will fix a lot of problems that persisted with the old Bladestorm. I mentioned these problems back in my initial post. Even if it's not perfect (Ash has been updated many times and I doubt this will be the last time), it's a step in the right direction.

Point is, Ash will be abandoned after that for who knows how long, that's how DE operates, they change something, give it a couple of hotfixes and then forgets entirely about it to focus on something else. An apropiate Ash full rework will be rotting on a very very long list after the tweak, even though the tweak didn't acomplish anything for the frame other than reducing the mindless spam.

If you're opposed to the change and don't like DE's decision, what do you recommend? What's a good alternative to the old Bladestorm?

- A combo like ability. Like, you mark 4 enemies (Ash+3 clones) like current bladestorm, when you are executing them you get a promt for a key (4, E, R, whatever). If you press the right key you randomly mark and execute other 4 enemies, repeat add infinitum or until you scr*w up. Can be interrupted by deliberatedly "missing" the window of opportunity and doesn't have any marking bullsh*t that takes you out of the action.

-A stance ultimate (toggled or duration based, I would prefer the latter to f^ck those zero duration full effi builds, change the meta to make duration worthwhile ye see, which is something the incoming tweak doesn't bother to adress). E-spam combo (EEE) doesn't do jack, RMB combo (E>RMB+E>E) features a lunge strike to cover ground, Pause combo (E>pause>E>E) opens enemies to Finisher attack. Doing a Stealth or Counter finisher (via teleport, BS pause combo or other sources) causes clones to spawn and do a single execution animation each on a randomly selected nearby enemy, dealing same damage Ash dealt to the original enemy. Chain Finishers for mass murder effect.

Both would be Fun, make mindless spam obsolete without adding annoying marking system and makes the whole ability interactive.

37 minutes ago, aerosoul1337 said:

I can imagine how the official mega-thread will be after bladestorm rework has been released.
1.Ash fans will point out the problems.
2.Ash haters will praise DE about the rework.
3.Some players will provide other creative ideas.
4.DE developers won't really care about that thread.

To be honest Ash needs a full rework (with real efforts) to make everyone happy.

Pretty much that's what's going to happen. Seems they've gotten lazy with the whole "reworks", judging by what they did to Nekros (though it can be said that Terrify, Soul Punch and SotD didn't need a lot of work to be done on them and none of his abilities overlapped in function).

12 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

but I'm pointing out Ash WASN'T the only culprit of friendly fire scr*wups due to mindless spam of X weapon/ability.

This is true. But it's isn't that common to see a frost based entirely around using his 4, whereas right now you almost never see an Ash that isn't based completely around using 4 and only 4. So a frost in a radiation hazard mission is probably not going to kill you, but an Ash will almost certainly wipe the entire squad, and probably more than once.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

This is true. But it's isn't that common to see a frost based entirely around using his 4, whereas right now you almost never see an Ash that isn't based completely around using 4 and only 4. So a frost in a radiation hazard mission is probably not going to kill you, but an Ash will almost certainly wipe the entire squad, and probably more than once.

And this tweak won't solve that. Seeing as the average bladespam Ash is going to swipe everything on screen, friend or foe, and oneshot everything.

13 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

And this tweak won't solve that. Seeing as the average bladespam Ash is going to swipe everything on screen, friend or foe, and oneshot everything.

Hmm, maybe. But at least I'll be able to properly blame the player for marking me.  :)

5 hours ago, (XB1)CFE Angry said:

Im sorry but how does bladestorm 3.0 fix the problems with bladestorm 2.0(current) when they are basically the same thing but with a different casting mechanic?

Here you go:

On 10/30/2016 at 11:02 PM, SenorClipClop said:

Spoiler

Even if it isn't perfect (and we're kind of hoping it is), Ash will be much better for everyone. Here are just a few problems the Bladestorm fix will solve:

• Its broken skill-input/power-output ratio. Ash can instakill a room, completely safe within invincibility frames for the entire event, with no effort and no setup. This leads to people just treating him as a burst mage and less like the assassin he's supposed to be.
  • Feeling. Involving the player in choosing targets makes the player more in control of how the ability is used, which is empowering and exciting. Pressing 4 and winning can be fun, but selecting your specific targets for your own reasons means that you can actually take credit for the work you do and the play you make, which will benefit the player experience huge. I don't really like Ash right now, but after the rework I will probably try him again for this reason.
  • Teamwork (or at least Less Team Harass). Beyond his augments, Ash is a pretty lone-wolf sort of frame, not really adding much to the co-operative efforts of the team beyond his own raw damage. In fact, many players complain that Bladestorm takes away from their fun, because Ash just presses a button and kills everything, including the enemies his allies are currently fighting with. This kills the game for many of his allies. After the fix he'll still be able to execute, but Bladestorm will give more warning to his allies. The potential added time between the mark and the execute will be more information for allies to not bother with that target. Furthermore, the squad can rest easy knowing that Bladestorm will be taking care of the enemies only where Ash is focusing his attention, and less likely to just proc on everything and anything in the room.
  • Radiation Sorties. Players handicap their team if they bring a Bladestorm Ash into a Rad Sortie and aren't godly levels of discreet, but the fix will make Ash more viable. He just has to make sure he doesn't look at his team if he gets procced.

•  

To throw my 2 cents in for the Ash Bladestorm Rework:

• Tap 4 at an enemy, and shadow clone(s) of Ash will jump from the shadows, shank all enemies in a small radius around that enemy for you, then return to the shadows.
  • Hold 4 and sweep your gaze to mark the enemies, who will then be met with a cloud of shurikens raining death upon them. Or bleeding. Lots and lots of bleeding.

I feel the personal touch by Ash is already fulfilled by Teleport (and its augment, if you feel the need to autoshank at a discounted price). Having some assassin dudes screw over one side of the map while you massacre the other side is certainly a way to get your gore on.  If you didn't satisfy your gore enough with that, the rain of shurikens should certainly get the period rain flowing quite a bit.

On 10/30/2016 at 11:02 PM, SenorClipClop said:

Even if it isn't perfect (and we're kind of hoping it is), Ash will be much better for everyone. Here are just a few problems the Bladestorm fix will solve:

• Its broken skill-input/power-output ratio. Ash can instakill a room, completely safe within invincibility frames for the entire event, with no effort and no setup. This leads to people just treating him as a burst mage and less like the assassin he's supposed to be.
  • Feeling. Involving the player in choosing targets makes the player more in control of how the ability is used, which is empowering and exciting. Pressing 4 and winning can be fun, but selecting your specific targets for your own reasons means that you can actually take credit for the work you do and the play you make, which will benefit the player experience huge. I don't really like Ash right now, but after the rework I will probably try him again for this reason.
  • Teamwork (or at least Less Team Harass). Beyond his augments, Ash is a pretty lone-wolf sort of frame, not really adding much to the co-operative efforts of the team beyond his own raw damage. In fact, many players complain that Bladestorm takes away from their fun, because Ash just presses a button and kills everything, including the enemies his allies are currently fighting with. This kills the game for many of his allies. After the fix he'll still be able to execute, but Bladestorm will give more warning to his allies. The potential added time between the mark and the execute will be more information for allies to not bother with that target. Furthermore, the squad can rest easy knowing that Bladestorm will be taking care of the enemies only where Ash is focusing his attention, and less likely to just proc on everything and anything in the room.
  • Radiation Sorties. Players handicap their team if they bring a Bladestorm Ash into a Rad Sortie and aren't godly levels of discreet, but the fix will make Ash more viable. He just has to make sure he doesn't look at his team if he gets procced.

The only thing this truly fixes is the radiation proc ash killing everyone.

1. Sure bladestorm needed to be changed, but not from a "overpowered" ability to a inferior fatal teleport.

2. This rework isn't really involving, I want to put effort into something meaningful, I mean, call me lazy, but I'll feel just as proud killing my enemies with my weapons. Also if the point in this rework is to target specific enemies, I could just use teleport.

3. Teamwork? Yeah because I expect my teammates not to kill 60% of my marked targets just like what they do now.

4. OK, you got me at the radiation thing.

Ash.

Shuriken:

- Full Heat seeking of targets.

- Multiple Target hitting. Like 3 Enemies.

- Removed cast delay.

- Low casting cost.

Smoke Screen:

- Smoke Clouds linger for certain duration which is longer than granted invisibility.

- Clouds cause enemies to loose LoS on players within or behind clouds.

- Enemies who enter clouds are disoriented (can't see) and choke on smoke (incapacitated). Which is what thick smoke does to people.

- Clouds can be linked if cast near each other, enables Ash to blanket a small area and provide cover for allies.

- Clouds enable allies to perform finishers on trapped enemies. 

- Smoke Bombs can be thrown away from Ash (alternate button press or hold or something).

- Max of 4 casts at any one time. Additional casts will replace a prior cast.

- Ash must enter the clouds to gain invisibility, but regardless of cloud's remaining duration, Ash will gain the full (modded) invisibility duration.

- Allies will only gain invisibility from clouds if Ash uses that augment.

Teleport:

- Changed to Smoke Dash and Dash Strike (or whatever better name given)

- Ash vanishes and reappears in a puff of smoke (so 1 puff for disappearing and 1 for reappearing). For physics sake, ideally, the disappearing puff would be a downcast (like smoke screen) and the reappearing would be the smoke fading away (so trailing upward and dissipating).

- When Smoke Dashing, Ash can only melee quick attack and use guns.

- To Dash Strike, Ash must equip his melee weapon. This can be done mid Smoke Dash if the player holds down melee attack. This happens during Excal's Dash attack so it would just need to be programmed for Ash, too. This will allow for fluid changeover between shooting and melee all the while zipping about avoiding damage. A player with real skill can use these mechanics to pull off some great combinations against multiple enemies all at once.

- These new "teleports" are free targeting and can be chained together to span farther distances. They also are silent and won't hurt stealth in any way. They will also break enemy targeting as they do currently.

- This will replace the need for the traditional Blade Storm as the player can combine Smoke Screen, and Smoke Dash/Dash Strike to be able to proactively target and attack bad guys as if they were Blade Storming with full control.

- Ash can Dash in any direction (up and down, included), so it is useful as a movement tool for traversal of difficult terrain. Chaining the dashes together  (up to a max of 3 times) will make it even more useful.

- Placing the cursor over an enemy will make that enemy the next dash target. This can be done mid strike as well, so Ash can be attacking 1 target see another in range and mid-swing move to the new target and be hitting him with the already wound-up swing. So he can be hitting multiple enemies, practically at the same time, and using a stunning/bleeding weapon would make this a better technique. Basically, he can target, attack and avoid all enemies within his AoE, as if he was several different people.

Blade Storm:

- Changed to a power enhancing ability. This adds sticky shadows to Ashes movements and attack. So instead of having a few additional bodies running around, Ash, himself does the running around but when he moves and attacks you will see additional shadow clone limbs (protruding from Ash) holding shadow versions of Ashes wristblades. Ashes wristblades are still revealed/equipped for this ability but they scale with the damage of the chosen melee weapon and use its attributes.

- Visually, Ash will be the same just wreathed in shadow when not moving or attacking. When moving or attacking, the shadows will move and attack with him, but at a delay of 1-2 seconds. So it would look like Ash has 6 arms when attacking but 4 will be shadows. This is a very Shinobi concept but fits Ash completely.

- While activated, the new BS will enhance the damage and speed of all of Ash's moves, while lowering the casting cost on consecutive/repeated use of other abilities, similar to other frames.

- What would be cool, would be if Ash was bouncing back and forth between 4 enemies using all of his abilities while under the effects of BS, when he moves to another bad guy in the group that he is attacking, you would see the shadow clone still on the previous enemy but be pulled away, like he was glued to Ash, gets turned around and placed on the new focus of Ash's attacks. But this is just a visual idea to keep a bit of the old BS animation but meld it into the new version.

Passive:

The current one can stay, it's fine and I don't want to get into that argument.

Notes:

- I have my own thread with many ideas, this is just a simple rehashing of those ideas. DE destroyed Ash with their new version, as I thought they would. It is completely wrong and makes him even worse than before. Instead of Ash being a nuisance and having game breaking visuals, they made him not useful at all (not to mention slower).

- I haven't added in any augments or new augment ideas, though I have plenty. I just wanted to get the ideas out there and anyone with a good imagination can see what new augment would be good for my new/changed moves and which old augment would have to go. 

That's all I got for now. Enjoy!

- G

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just do this with Bladestorm:

Activating it causes you to start burning energy. Energy will continue to burn until you deactivate it.(Holding the button for Bladestorm instead of tapping it will deactivate the ability.) The energy burn rate will be influenced by Power Duration

Ash summons clones relative to your Bladestorm level and your combo counter. As your combo counter increases, so do your clones.

• Building your combo may happen before ability activation. Dropping the combo after activation does not cause your clones to be reduced. 
  • You may increase your combo during Bladestorm's duration instead, doing so will still cause you to gain clones but dropping the combo during Bladestorm will cause your clones to be reduced respectively.

Your clones disperse into the area and freely attack enemies with the weapons that you've brought with you on your mission. The clones each will do a percentage of your damage and have a percentage of your health, shields and armor based on Power Strength. During this time, you may tap the button for Bladestorm while aiming at a target to cause one of your clones to assassinate it. During the assassination animation, that clone is unavailable. (Meaning you may not spam the key over and over on the same enemy in order to stack assassination attempts.) The same target can not be assassinated until you or a previous clone have finished their assassination attempt. Ordering your clone to assassinate a target will cost some energy. The energy cost will be influenced by Power Efficiency.

While this mode is active, Shuriken, Teleport and Smoke Screen are empowered.

Shuriken:

While empowered, Ash and all of his clones will throw a shuriken to where you are aiming relative to each of your and their positions. (Shuriken damage of clones are affected by Power Strength)

Teleport:

While empowered, if used on an enemy unit, Ash will leap to the target and assassinate the target himself. (Assassination damage relative to your melee weapon damage, combo counter and Power Strength.)

Smoke Screen:

While empowered, you and your clones all turn invisible, causing your attacks and the attacks of your clones to have a stealth bonus. (Stealth bonus damage percentage is relative to your own and based on Power Strength)

One thing I enjoyed about Ash was that he was the icon of assassination. As such, I believe this idea will cause your to work almost like the leader of an order of assassins. You will command them to kill and, through your decisions, lead your band to glory. 

I believe the randomness of allowing the clones to work on their own could weigh in to allow your team to help in interesting ways without you doing all of the work. At the same time, you have the ability to clear an entire room IF you can properly manage your clones, damage, combo and energy on the fly and each one accordingly depending on what is most important to you at the time. 

When are your clones needed the most? Should you send them out now and risk losing too much energy or hold them until it really matters? Should you let them run rampant or focus your efforts on a single target?

Let me know what you guys think.:laugh:

Rework Suggestion

1) Shuriken: it should have a chance to Crit. That would be nice.

2) Smoke Screen: a blind instead of a stunt would be better.

3) Teleport: it should naturally do what it's band-aid of an Augment mod does... nuff said.

4) Kinjutsu/ Forbidden Path: Ash shrouds himself in darkness, intensifying and adding effects to his already deadly abilities. Ash gains a speed and damage mitigation buff for the duration.

• this would be a channeled ability, consuming energy over time, and would have a casting cost of 25.

• his first three abilities now cost 50 energy to cast while in this form.

• Forbidden Shuriken: instead of a single target it now damages all enemies in a cone with increased ranged and lethality.

• Forbidden Smoke Screen: casts an AoE of smoke that provides invisibility not just to yourself but also allies within, while blinding entering foes.

• Forbidden Teleport: Ash teleports to the target's location and back; leaving behind a quickly shrinking AoE where copies of himself attack all enemies within.

Note: Basically, minor tweeks to his first three abilities and replace his 4th with magical space steroids; changing the way the rest of his kit works (less 'Press 4 to Win, and more of 4, then 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, wash, rise, repeat... problem solved!)

Just my thoughts and opinion. My suggestion for his last ability would be to make it about him creating these clones of himself, from there you can decide on a few different things.

1. Maybe a few clones are sent out and perform BS for Ash at where he targets, allowing the player to perform other actions and actually see BS from an outside perspective. This would be really cool to watch a bunch of clones slice up enemies instead of getting a jarring dose of cut scenes. I feel this would fix some issues while still keeping BS powerful and useful.

2. You could have clones spawned around his vicinity and attack enemies in the immediate area with a BS attack. Again this keeps the player free, but encourages Ash to be in the action like a the Ninja he is. Instead of a hard number of targets, u limit it by the range around him, making it smaller than the current BS area, but rewarding for the player that can get in a good position. This works well with his short duration stealth mechanics as well. He can go stealth, have a limited time to get into a good position for maximum effect, then activate his BS around him. Pretty interactive, not room clearing, and still powerful against tough mobs.

3. Lastly, maybe when you target an enemy while in shadow mode and click LMB, a clone is sent out and teleports to the target performing the BS attack. You could put a drain on shadow mode or just make it cost energy every time you click to send out a clone. The player could run around in shadow mode and "shoot" out clones at enemies.

All the suggestions of course could be balanced differently with energy costs, clone limits, and range of course. These are just my suggestions!

-Voracious

2 hours ago, Chushingura said:

In the name of Love. Ash is a pure ninja! Just give him an Exalted Glaive!!! Poof!!! PROBLEM SOLVED for 4th ability goodbye hate!!!

then who will pick him. I would pick excalibur instead.

Energy drain, no blind. You will need to smoke to make sure you are not dead on high levels

and 10 sec invi. How you going to rev ur team mates for such a short duration?

if you equip duration, you will reduce all other skils.

Technically the ash now is the most in the middle of nowhere frame.

invi it cant be compared to loki. Loki max duration can g

loki max duration 32 secs, ash is 22 secs

but loki do not need power str. Ash does.

in form of 4th skill,

Is much more trouble some than mesa.

Mesa press 4, hold left click and spin around ur camera

ASH press 4, spin aorund ur camera, each target 3 times, then press 4.

Comparing his 3rd skill and 4th skill

3rd skill max range 60 m

4th skill range only 50 m

Energy 25 - 3rd

energy 15 if non invi, 10 if invi.

the third skill will jump you over and perform finisher ( dmg depends on ur eq)

the 4th skill will do damage. ( can increase dmg by marking the target more than once)

but

any lvl 30 weapon, with dmg mod and 2 element + pressure point will exceed 300 dmg.

lowest finisher multiplier is at 1200% = 3600

This is the same damage that ash will need to do with 2 marking at 30 energy.

So gentleman, i now find his 4th skill is inferior to his 3rd skill, much more troublesome

So the new Ash bladestorm rework is an interesting decision however it generally made him unplayable as the targeting reticle is the only way to mark targets. Since the targeting reticle is so small, it makes it relatively difficult to target enemies unless you wave your mouse around like crazy and hope you targeted multiple enemies on your screen. Why not give Ash the same targeting system as Mesa Peacemaker? Like a larger reticle to target groups of enemies instead of just 1 at a time? That would make the ability much more useful and smoother rather than shaking your screen around and hope you tag more than 3 enemies.

My opinions are the same as some of thr poster here. Ash supposed to give a ninja feel, but when casting BS, i could literally fall asleep while waiting for the friggin animation. Besides, it will be faster to kill a group of enemies with my crit-bleed nikana anyways! It's nice for taking out ospreys while playing melee only tho so i give it that i guess..

Onto the suggestions.

1. Keep the current one but only let the clones do the actions. The players need to play the game, no? I got this from a certain YouTube video of an ash player which have gone to lvl 1700 on void.

2. Now this is my personal thoughts. BS looks cool, but the players themselves won't feel that way because tey have little to no control of BS. My suggestion is that upon activation, BS can only target a maximum of X (about 7) enemies, then while the animation play out, the player can press 4 again to mark X more enemies. Now this requires the camera work to be changed but i think it feels so much more ninja-like this way

i like it now. The more i play it, the more ninja like it feels. I love marking enemies. Sure, hes not he huge kill stealer he once was, but hes still very powerful. I think the new BS fits the theme more. People don't like it because its not the nuke it once was, but if this was my first time with ash, i would think it was an awesome power.

what i especially like about it:

1. i like being able to mark enemies from either side of room. I can target two areas at once now. With old blade storm, it was just 1 nuke cloud, now i can essentially make 2. This sees its biggest benefit solo of course, but even in a group i can no help kill enemies in two areas as long as i have LoS.

2. Foe me, it causes me to use his entire kit more. It does provide a sort of natural synergy IMO. When I'm in BS mode, i use my fatal teleport to kill kill high priority targets and BS to clean up mobs. I also like how I'm still marking while performing finisher during fatal teleport. SS has its obvious uses now. I use shuriken during BS mode to kill too, but it looses its luster in higher levels. Some innate utility could be added, like maybe a stagger along with the bleed. 

My suggestions for polish:

1. Enemies lock onto Ash too quickly when BS is finished, causing you to take damage (and sometimes die) before you even regain control and regain orientation. DE should either give him an extra few invincibility frames or decrease enemy accuracy on Ash for a few seconds after BS. 

2. Speed up animation a little or give a bigger work load to clones. I love the cutscene, i don't want that removed, but i do love seeing clones still killing after i return. It kind of looks like Ash is so fast, he's seeing his time-warped past self still stabbing. its cool.

3. Triple mark high level eximus enemies a bit faster or make it automatic. Its rare that i don't do it myself manually, so why not just cut out the middle man? 

suggestions for augment:

1. Invisibility after last target is killed/stabbed with BS. 

2. Turn Shurikens into clones during BS mark mode. I would love if this was just implemented without an augment though. it would give Shuriken more of a synergistic role with BS.

As I've already suggested stuff in this thread (mainly for first 3 abilities), here is an idea to improve Bladestorm a bit:

What if, during the marking phase, there was an added special circular crosshair (kind of small though, about the size of the normal crosshair) which marks anything for Bladestorming which is seen inside this circle. This circle could then be modified by Power Range! (So more power range = easier marking).

Just a thought :)

I like the idea with marking enemies, but it is still press, mark, and watch, in the place of press and watch. True, the skill requires more interaction, but it is still little interaction.

It is also too easy to mark enemies I don't want marked (like if I don't want to waste energy on trash mobs). It would be better if we had to press 4 to mark/unmark an enemy, and then hold 4 to execute Bladestorm. I think it would give slightly more control over the skill.