The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Non meta weapons = MR fodder

._.-._.

before the release of riven mods, do you believe in that statement?

then, after the release of riven mods, do you still believe in that statement?

EDIT: my own answer is just no because i just need to fave a weapon. (aka craft it / buy it from market, take it, use it, love it). yet you just need to believe that you can "unlock" the potential of each weapons...

Edited by Primbone
added my own answer

I dont want reforma a weak weapon a couple of additional times to fit that 18 point mod. Rivens further increased gap between "meta" weapons and others (150% 6x crit Dread anyone?). Yes, some weapons benefit from them more, but it wont beat straight up buffing.

Nukor.

Before Rivens: 102% Status 800 Gas, 300 Something Radiation With 4x Critdmg because i modded for raw 

After Rivens: 102% Status With 2500 Gas and 900 Radiation, Rest is still the Same.

Definately No MrFodder and capable of bursting lvl 100+ Enemies in an Insane Radius to pieces. Works even against the biggest trollunits aka the Ancients With their s#&€+!? Aura, because Radiation 

And even then it can ramp Up more damage because my Avenger-Rucksack Likes to make Crits appear Mystically

Edit// Photo: 

screenshot_20170104-04dlpg.png

Edited by tischkanteVS
Photo

Before rivens i considered that a good chunck of weapons were mastery fodder, as in both useless and boring. After rivens i still consider this, but if you get bless by rng you might make one of the useless weapons into an actual ok one, cant cure the boring factor though. 

For me Mastery Fodder would be something thats:

1) not good or decent in anyway

2) not viable for at-least a niche

3) whilst not viable for anything also not fun

edit:

@Robwashere:

I dont want reforma a weak weapon a couple of additional times to fit that 18 point mod. Rivens further increased gap between "meta" weapons and others (150% 6x crit Dread anyone?). Yes, some weapons benefit from them more, but it wont beat straight up buffing.

Dread is kinda the only exception, allot of other stuff gets to rival meta weapons thanks to rivens or make it even viable.

Example my Lato Prime, prior taking it to sortie people would say: Ow Nice lato prime, to bad it sucks doesnt it= me± yes, yes it does.

Now: Nice Lato Prime, any reason you took it with you? me: Yes thanks to a specific riven its viable [insert riven mod]

Edited by jmthebigman

Wait... Who would ever think the non meta are MR fodder? I always thought the meta weapons were MR fodder. (Like, seriously, Phage was crap, Soma just failed to give me the damage I wanted and just ate up my ammo, and I refuse to use the Simulor or Ignis because nothing is more boring than "Point and shoot to win, no skill needed.")

But in all seriousness, I was laughing my &#! off when I learned that Tiberon had a stronger disposition than Latron, considering they're practically the same gun, but Tiberon is stronger and shoots three bullets instead of one. Now that I have some Riven Mods for it,, I have no real issues taking it into higher level games. And now that they are releasing Shotgun and Secondary Rivens, "meta" is just becoming another word for "unimaginative."

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing if they'll release Melee Rivens. At this point, I'd be really disappointed if they didn't. Especially since some of the most fun non meta weapons are melees. If you ever get your hands on Vulpine Mask, give Destreza a try.

3 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I have never believed in that statement, because it's stupid. People ignore whether or not a weapon is fun purely because it doesn't do the same or more damage than the highest-tier meta weapon, which isn't even necessary.

Same here. I'm only interested in how fun a weapon is to use. I've seen people calling the Javlok MR fodder, which made me laugh tears of much sadness and contempt. It's always "well this one thing does more damage, so why use that other thing?" even if they are totally different weapons. I haven't cared about meta weaponry since I first got tired of the tonkor.

3 hours ago, RobWasHere said:

But what if I just don't feel like using the dread? Who cares if you "do the most damage" if you aren't enjoying the weapon?

Just now, Azrael said:

Same here. I'm only interested in how fun a weapon is to use. I've seen people calling the Javlok MR fodder, which made me laugh tears of much sadness and contempt. It's always "well this one thing does more damage, so why use that other thing?" even if they are totally different weapons. I haven't cared about meta weaponry since I first got tired of the tonkor.

But what if I just don't feel like using the dread? Who cares if you "do the most damage" if you aren't enjoying the weapon?

Dread was just example. And Javlok is not that bad, just need some forma work. I did yesterday eximus sortie (with nova tho) just fine, both primary and throw attack did significal damage.

1 minute ago, RobWasHere said:

And Javlok is not that bad

Yeah, I know, that's why it hurt to see people call it MR fodder. Frankly I just enjoy using it immensely, especially when I get to spear something that's flying around. I have a flight speed riven on it, and it's got a practically flat trajectory for like 50 meters.

Before Rivens?  Most definitely.  I mean, prime weapons are a wonderful example, most of them will just have generally better stats.  Some have trade-offs, but usually in the form of specialization.  There were some weapons i really wanted to love, but you have to use very specific setups to do so.  Serration, Shred, and Split Chamber are wonderful examples of mods i feel i MUST use on pretty much all my  rifles.  

Status effects may help, or be amusing in radiation's case, but it just more efficient to focus on raw damage.  Things like the grinlok are my favorite type of weapon, single shot with moderate damage and no enhanced zoom (funny as that may sound) with low recoil, moderate fire rate and reload speed, as well as decent damage.  But in the end, when i hit 80+ mobs, that weapon has to struggle.  Meanwhile, i pull out galatine prime and just do the spin combo... i just go straight through entire hordes of 100's unless an ancient is near.  That's an appropriate comparison for many weapons.  You may get a bit of accuracy, or nice ammo efficiency, but end-game i feel like if i just get a carrier prime with the ammo case, to convert ammo without losing a slot on my weapon, i can just go pure damage and use a frame that's built for the mission.  Again, galatine prime is a wonderful example.  Use frost, prime or not, and other than a gimmick boss, lua, or such then you're good for most the game sadly.

There are both weapons and frames i'd like to use, not just cuz i like it, but because it can appropriately compare with the kill rate of some massive aoe weapon.  Rivens may help with this, but i feel in the end i have too many mods that i'm just supposed to have on for my weapons, that using a point system without actual mod restrictions, or just adding another 2-3 slots in a third row would help better balance some weapons out.  But then again, you'd still hit the issue of massive aoe weapons will still outshine single target weapons unless you've got a clear line of sight for up to like 60m or something, in an effort to hopelessly outrange the aoe before it has a chance to land.

5 hours ago, Primbone said:

before the release of riven mods, do you believe in that statement?

then, after the release of riven mods, do you still believe in that statement?

no, because MR fodder has to meet a criteria: a weapon or item that is both underpowered and not fun to use, thus causing the player to only care about it for levelling Mastery rank. there's also the fact that newer players must ascend through levels of gear, starting with vanilla weapons and frames before working up to Primes, Wraiths etc. those players aren't using vanilla weapons for MR, they're using them so they can get access to better weapons, both by levelling their MR AND using them on missions to get resources for building the better versions.

that said, most weapons in the game for me are at least enjoyable, even if they aren't that effective, and there's only a few weapons I genuinely dislike that are also weak. with Rivens, I aim to make my favourite non-meta weapons even stronger, so that I can enjoy them AND kick some a$$ with them, without choosing between fun or something that actually works on higher levels.