Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banshee's name

Why did DE decide to name Banshee? In Irish legend: a banshee is a female spirit whose wailing warns of an impending death in a house. Wailing - not shockwaves from her hands. I feel that Valkyr and Banshee are both named incorrectly. Banshee SHOULD be named Quake, Soundwave , Shockwave, or something like that. If any Warframe should be called Banshee, it should be Valkyr because she actually screams when she uses abilities. Either their names should be swapped or Banshee needs to actually yell, shriek, scream, or something that requires use of her voice and her animations need to be changed so that it looks like her powers are coming from her face, not her hands. I thought this would be fixed with the release of Banshee Prime, but obviously DE did NO research before they named this Warframe. Irish people should be livid. This is blatant negligence or total ignorance to their history.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)RAVENsLEGION said:

DE did NO research before they named this Warframe. Irish people should be livid. This is blatant negligence or total ignorance to their history

Just like how everyone in Europe should be furious and appalled that the dragons in Skyrim aren't actually dragons, but wyverns?

It's just a cool-sounding name. That's all.

Edit: thought up more.

Vauban's toolkit has nothing to do with constructing fortresses/walls. Everyone who's French should be livid!

Ivara looks nothing like a yew tree, nor do her skills. Everyone who lives near one should be livid!

Atlas doesn't look like a giant naked Titan who's currently being forced to hold the world on his back. Everyone from Greece should be livid!

The Dread looks nothing like a subconscious feeling of fear. Every human who's ever experienced it should be livid!

Mesa's kit + her general appearance looks nothing like an elevated, flat-topped geographical feature. EVERY LIVING THING THAT EXISTS ON THE PLANET SHOULD BE LIVID!

Edited by Jackviator

you know that if we were to nit pick every single thing like this, we'd be sitting here for like a month straight?

look, its not worth getting bothered by it, at least its somewhat close, it could be a hell of a lot worse than it is

besides, these days legends and myths get twisted around so much in modern media that sometimes you cant even tell what the legend originally was

I am almost half Irish heritage and I am incredibly proud of my Irish heritage. I have close friends with Irish heritage who have visited Ireland at length. And I can assure you the Irish would not waste their time getting livid over the name Banshee being used to describe a sound related video game character. This is just such ludicrous outrage over literally nothing at all. 

Having a lot of Irish heritage I know what a Banshee is quite well, and I don't see how Valkyr fits the legend at ALL -- Valkyr shrieks because she was tortured, Banshee's shrieked or "keened" to warn of impending death that wasn't even directly at the Banshee's hands. The legend of the Banshee fits the one in Warframe just fine. 

This is just... so absurd. I don't even. 

Also... I suppose a Sonic Boom isn't a loud enough "shriek" for you OP? Faith and Begorrah... 

Edited by Tesseract7777

39 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Gray Silhouette said:

Aren't wyverns a subspecies of dragon, though?

But yeah, like everyone said, just a cool name for sound based.

In a way yes. A Dragon has four limbs as well as two wings.

A wyvern has 2 legs and two wings.

Its more a technicality thing. A wyvern is still a type of dragon, same as a drake or wyrm.

Edited by (XB1)DRG JupiterIvan

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Gray Silhouette said:

So then the whole "they're wyverns, not dragons" thing is only half right?

Yes. Would have been more appropriate to call the dragons of Skyrim Wyverns? Yes, but the masses know and like the word dragon more. So I honestly think that's why they went with it, plus in the ES mythos, dragons have always been armless. Take Akatosh for example. So who's to say who's right? Nirn isn't Earth therefore they can call whatever they want whatever they want. 

Anyway that was way off topic. We're not talking about Elder Scrolls here lol.

1 hour ago, Jackviator said:

Ivara looks nothing like a yew tree, nor do her skills. Everyone who lives near one should be livid!

you made this happen

According to the wiki:

As mentioned in Devstream 64, Ivara's visual design was influenced by tree frogs, with her default color scheme sharing their bright coloration

Also,  Ivara is a name derived from the Old Norse word Ívarr, which means "the bow of the warrior"

Ivara is a poor point of reference as she's literally a bow themed warrior, named for the word meaning "the bow of the warrior"

Zephyr's winds don't come from the west like her namesake! Grrr....

Hydroid is a combination of "hydro" (water) and "android", but Warframes clearly aren't androids! Grrrr...

Frost doesn't use frost, he uses ice! They should've called him "Icemaker"! Grrrrr....

Ember uses flames, not embers! They should've called her "Flamer"! Grrr....

In an electrical current, it's the amps that kill things, not the volts. Volt should've been named "Amp"! Grrr...

Oberon has ZERO fairies in his kit! Grrr....

A mesa is a flat piece of terrain made of sandstone or clay in a hot, dry climate. Mesa is not a land mass, she's a gunslinger! Grrrr....

.... does this make sense?

7 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

Zephyr's winds don't come from the west like her namesake! Grrr....

Hydroid is a combination of "hydro" (water) and "android", but Warframes clearly aren't androids! Grrrr...

Frost doesn't use frost, he uses ice! They should've called him "Icemaker"! Grrrrr....

Ember uses flames, not embers! They should've called her "Flamer"! Grrr....

In an electrical current, it's the amps that kill things, not the volts. Volt should've been named "Amp"! Grrr...

Oberon has ZERO fairies in his kit! Grrr....

A mesa is a flat piece of terrain made of sandstone or clay in a hot, dry climate. Mesa is not a land mass, she's a gunslinger! Grrrr....

.... does this make sense?

This made me LOL. And also reminded me of the time on a devstream when Scott said that if he had his way he would have named Inaros "Sandman".