Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A deep dive: The Glaive Prime Buffs.

[DE]Rebecca

T'was the week before Christmas, and the Tenno surely knew, that an Update was coming... and a buff for a weapon they threw!?

Join me as I walk through the buff that never was for the Glaive Prime.

In the last major Update of 2016, Update 19.5, the notes included these details:

• Buffed base damage from 35 to 45.
  • Increased Proc Chance from 10% to 20%.
  • Added forced knockdown and bleed Status Chance.

They were quickly redacted, and for months Tenno were left wondering 'where are they'!?

In the first major Update of 2017, Update 20, the notes did not include these details:

• Buffed base damage from 35 to 45.
  • Increased Proc Chance from 10% to 20%.
  • Added forced knockdown and bleed Status Chance.

But they should have: these buffs have been live since Update 20: Octavia's Anthem and they are currently live on all platforms!

Maybe you've been loyal enough to your Glaive Prime to know that - maybe you're wondering why they weren't included.

To dive into the history of this seemingly complicated situation, we must first look at Devstream #90:

For months we've been secretly working away on Multi-wielding (this may have a cooler marketing name closer to release, but that's what I'm calling it for now) which we showed off last week in the above Devstream. The work initially started with the Glaive + a single Secondary. In Update 19.5, the Glaive Buffs did not go live because we were saving them for the release of this multi-wielding. In Update 20, the Glaive Buffs did go live because we successfully compartmentalized the longer-than-expected work being done that was cannibalizing all things "Glaive" changes which pushed out the original change without us noticing. The original change was made outside the content window we were monitoring (Post-Glast Gambit up until the minute of release).  

So for now you've had the buffs for the Glaive Prime and may not have known it, and next you'll have the new wielding type which will include another significant review of eligible weapon types!

@[DE]Rebecca, I have a question:

As you surely know, Heavy weapons (in particularly two-handed swords) are objectively better than one handed weapons in the game. They have more damage, bigger reach, and mods make the supposed slower swing speed irrelevant. 
With that in mind, will multiwielding only be available to one-handed weapons? seems like a good way to balance things up: choose a massive, solely melee weapon, or a weaker one but capable of using a pistol too.

Also, I have no idea whether you discussed this on the devstream or not: I havent watched it, so excuse the ignorance if you did.

Just now, tnccs215 said:

As you surely know, Heavy weapons (in particularly two-handed swords) are objectively better than one handed weapons in the game. They have more damage, bigger reach, and mods make the supposed slower swing speed irrelevant. 
With that in mind, will multiwielding only be available to one-handed weapons? seems like a good way to balance things up: choose a massive, solely melee weapon, or a weaker one but capable of using a pistol too.

Also, I have no idea whether you discussed this on the devstream or not: I havent watched it, so excuse the ignorance if you did.

Single-handed melees & single-handed secondaries will be paired, they're outright worse in DPS and often utility too so getting to use them both at once seems like an incredibly fair way to make them relevant.

1 minute ago, tnccs215 said:

They stated that was the case. Single swords, Machetes, Glaives and something else I'¡m forgetting (daggers?). Basically one handed weapons only!

1 minute ago, Navarchus said:

Single-handed melees & single-handed secondaries will be paired, they're outright worse in DPS and often utility too so getting to use them both at once seems like an incredibly fair way to make them relevant.

1 minute ago, NightmareT12 said:

They stated that was the case. Single swords, Machetes, Glaives and something else I'¡m forgetting (daggers?). Basically one handed weapons only!

good to know, tbh :)

Huh, off-handed melee gun hybridization eh? I think I can work with that to come up with a few "multi-wield only" combi-weapons. Thanks for the Imagination injection Mrs. Rebecca, looking forward to what lies ahead!

I was using the Glaive Prime just yesterday in the Simulacrum for fun with Ivara Navigator.

Was surprised how frequent the bleed procs were, but since I never really used the glaive much before I though it was normal. (Without buff)

Just now, Cyborg-Rox said:

Glaive Prime (and all Glaives for that matter) should still get a seriously hard look at their Charge Attack damage though, because it's nowhere close to what the Gunblades can deal, and at a much faster rate too!

Thrown melee is getting a boost when timing it correctly similar to Dark Sector, if you throw it in the apex of the charge then it'll receive a significant damage boost.
If it's better than Gunblades in exchange for Gunblades to be more consistent and requiring less skill I won't have a problem with it personally and may give Glaive P another chance, Halikar too if they make it guarantee disarm instead of be chance based.

1 minute ago, Naftal said:

Will you also fix charge attacks?

U18 ruined them all and throwing weapons are so annoying to use now.

They plan to map it to the reload key while holding the weapon. Hopefully they can make them faster too.

ah good, forced Slash Status and higher Status has been a thematic feature missing from Glaive for quite some time.
not sure how i feel about forced Knockdown but i'll take a look and see when that applies to decide.

Edit:

that's definitely not forced Knockdown. that's forced Impact as well as the forced Slash.
but don't fix it - that's actually better. the Stagger is better than Knockdown, as Knockdown would make it harder to hit the Enemy in the future.

plus Knockdown would be superceding the forced Ragdoll Kestrel has.

Archived