Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Acrid, the forgotten

(PSN)theelix

I've become rather close with my Acrid. I wasn't part of the meta before, when Acrid was all anyone used, but now that I have it I can't understand why I don't see anyone else use it. 

Decently high status chance, and no IPS leaves it at a slight disadvantage, but also a huge advantage in that it can proc corrosive faster than many other non-shotgun weapons. Its guaranteed Toxin DoT is amazing, and its augment solidifies it. I think it's a solid contended for one of the best scaling secondaries, easily top ten. Ammo efficient, deadly, great at removing armor or procing viral. 

Why has this weapon been forgotten? 

Edit: A lot of why I'm making this thread is also because I've been fighting 135 Ambulas in Simulacrum. I find it hard to kill him with a lot of other weapons. He face tanks Zarr, Strun Wraith, Zhuge, Tenora, Supra Vandal, and a massive amount of other weapons. With Acrid I... Don't even have to try aiming for weakpoints, I just kill him in three clips using corrosive and heat. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

Well, its mostly because it was once a huge meta weapon like the S.Simulor, Tonkor and T.Boltace were:

The DoT of Toxin? It used to hit the center mass of the enemies, which is the exact location of the heads of the MOAs, and since it stacked, you can imagine the sheer power it had. It has long since been fixed.

Another reason is mostly because of more weapons added to the game, thus some others are forgotten, either because of astetics or mechanics of sheer power.

I was thinking of rebuilding my Acrid, but I have the Pox, which, even though it procs as much as the Acrid, its an AoE. And Acrid is more of a single target unless you have punch throught, the Seeker needs a lot of energy even if you dont use it maxed. Its not like the Shred, which gives you more damage in the form of a higher fire rate as well.

Its not a widely promoted "meta" gun so it gets ignored, similar to Tysis, Nukor and other useful secondaries that lack big loud noises and use mechanics to kill over time or to debuff.

EDIT: and there is the thing that a gun that was OP and nerfed to decent will be viewed less favorably than one that started out at decent.

Edited by Elvangreen

I'm not sure.

The Acrid used to be my go-to sidearm, but that died when they nerfed the dots from being buffed by all equipped mods.

I rebuilt it about two or three months ago and slapped another six forma on it, played with the augment and what should have been an extremely powerful riven, (140% Multishot/Toxin) and still found it unsatisfying to use.

Which prompted me to sell it again.

Maybe it is because I remember how perfectly it once performed, or maybe its because I had put it on a pedestal that has now inflated over time and nothing can ever compete with what I think I remember, or maybe I'm just still butt-hurt. 

I can still hear its beautiful reload animation and the sound it makes when it fires, still feel its accuracy and recoil.. still see hundreds of numbers appearing all over the enemy as the dots consume it, the sleek aesthetic, and the hypnotic toxin held within..

Holy crap. Basically fell into a nostalgic daze whilst typing the last half that. 

Brought back a lot of memories. 

<3

38 minutes ago, (PS4)theelix said:

Why has this weapon been forgotten?

I say let people forget.  It is an amazing weapon and sometimes it can bring a great joy to a player when they find a weapon like this one.  Few use it, not many talk about it, I guess I'll give it a go.  OMG, this thing rocks!  It revitalizes the game whenever I find a weapon I had forgotten about that I discover I enjoy quite a lot.

On that note, I use it quite often.  Obviously with Saryn, despite it not being an aoe, it has great toxin potential (with a lot of darts) and also with Mesa.  It turns her PM into a toxic destroyer.

I didn't forget about it, I just don't really talked about it. It is one of my kept secrets.
Revealing too much would get unnecessary attention and uncalled for nerfs for no real reasons.

Here is my tip for your Ambulas slaughtering: Use Rad instead of Corr+Heat. And I personally, melee lvl 200+ Ambulas to death.

it's beastly VS Corpus, I've met a couple people who have Acrid Rivens, and they say it's insanely good. I like mine as is, but I can understand why its so damn good with a Riven mod.

1 hour ago, (PS4)theelix said:

He face tanks Zarr, Strun Wraith, Zhuge, Tenora, Supra Vandal, and a massive amount of other weapons.

he doesn't face tank Tigris Prime so well though..

It's my main weapon to use against hard corpus missions. I use a pure toxin build with toxic sequence augment, so i can rad-proc often. To compensate the semi-auto, i use seeker to hit as many targets as possible with 1 shot.Makes short work of corporate scum in most situations, except bosses, but i bring another toys for the big ones.

As usual, there are better guns to use.

Acrid downside started to noticeable when facing a lot of high level enemies.  It has a sluggish projectile speed needed to compensate a lot, semi-Auto trigger can be tiresome when playing for a long duration, toxic damage over time is neglectable, lastly, the damage is low, I think the toxic DOT should compensate for it but it still not enough.

Lex Prime can kill what Acrid needed to dump almost entire magazine in a few shots, and it instantly hit.

Anyway, for the feeling, Acrid is quite good at being a poison dart-spewing, corpse-dissolving fun gadget.