The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

nyx or Mag would be on my list

Nyx because of the history Excal and Nyx in Dark Sector - Mag - was my starting Frame - and they can correct the

values of these Frames , first primes had values like the normal Warframes :)

:)

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

2023: update

as we are moving into 2023 , and 1st devstream is jan 27th , I am simply posting a as it is update to the current knowledge and whats going on 

prior stated the concept of Umbra frames are ones that will proceed Excalibur umbra , like primes proceeded Excalibur prime. At this time the DE team are  focusing on other projects/updates and these frames are TBD/have been shelved till further notice , when devs will get back to them or have time to dev the implementation and provide us with more info

Umbra Liches? (a possible implementation ) 

this is a  implementation that is uses  the void/zarmon paradox/eternalisim  system for canon expansion 

a fan discussion point, not official news /cannon at this time

simply a suggestion that might make this easier to implement these frames as per devs non lore/quests lines were not to be implemented for later Umbra frames , and save time while making it possible to push these frames out and have a dedicate obtainment and earning system 

in this we the players hunt similar as in sacrifice, and by some means in zarmon, chosen or find a lich

frame: this frame can be an Umbra that is not excalibur

initial implementation of 4-7 frames , and expand via updates as time allows, or themed minor update additions , possibly an eclipse paradox system or something like this using a gate that we activate 

one  basis for this idea was our milestone sigils we earn seem to depict a  gate or doorway , and an eclipse and as umbras were a darker side to primes this might help with implementing and tying to some prior ingame content 

Hide contents

(above spoiler shows said sigils im referring to) 

like excalibur umbra had skijiati , id assume each umbra frame would come with specific weapons geared for their combat style

a simple way for de to expand the umbras without having to do to much work is using the primes bodies as a basis , minor add-ons or changes, and as well a umbra scarf or arm blades in fashion or as needed , I've done some example drawings of various umbra frames prior , as fan concepts in the past 

examples below

Reveal hidden contents

Volt UmbraLoki Umbrafrost umbraoberon_umbra_by_drkmako_db2qtng-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDY4NWM0OTMtMjE1Mi00MmQ0LTk3ZGUtOWI0NjJmMTc4MmI5XC9kYjJxdG5nLTUyMjNkMzRiLTFlMDQtNDYyZS1iZDRjLTVjZmY5NWUyZWRlYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9NjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.-fkhVxzPQxRm451eNH11-WWAgS9kLHRH19BfqcHAm-4Nyx Umbradefmhip-27a1e467-46f3-4ae4-b4ea-d085862b7e86.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzA2ODVjNDkzLTIxNTItNDJkNC05N2RlLTliNDYyZjE3ODJiOVwvZGVmbWhpcC0yN2ExZTQ2Ny00NmYzLTRhZTQtYjRlYS1kMDg1ODYyYjdlODYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.d58cyJUR-1CvpekVO6gJefbkIL_wIRWenD78SwEOWkU

some simple umbra scarfs addon to prime frames as examples below  (these were done by arch111) 

Reveal hidden contents

ImageImageImage

This seems like the best way to implement Umbra frames, but the problem is that Prime frames (along with default frames) might become somewhat obsolete. 

Like imagine spending 250p for Ash Prime if I can just farm Ash Umbra in 2-5 hours for free.

Maybe the prerequisite could be that you have to have the default Warframe to summon an Umbra frame (either using a certain frames to lure in a corresponding Umbra, or using said frame with an Umbra blueprint to give it sentience, and it runs away). 

You could even have it like the Sister hounds, where killing an Umbra frame gives you the bp for it (along with a random Umbra weapon), and then you either (A) need the default frame to upgrade to an Umbra, or (B) it's its own WF farm where it drops bp/Neuro/chassis/systems. 

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:16 AM, arch111 said:

Question, would those targets have new skins? I mean patterns and colors that only aply when they are enemies? 

Or do you see them as pure Umbra just like when we own them?

Maby 3 would be a good starting number. If they go "least playd" or "most popular" is another matter altogether.

Ash, Mag and Nyx maby.

personally id assume they would be the same , maybe a helmet thats showing an eye or something to make them different as an enemy (excal umbra has 3 helmets technically) , but prior via the sacrifice it was same frame we got that we fought , that was my mentality 

id do nyx for sure, but ember is another id love to see

23 hours ago, mysty said:

nyx or Mag would be on my list

Nyx because of the history Excal and Nyx in Dark Sector - Mag - was my starting Frame - and they can correct the

values of these Frames , first primes had values like the normal Warframes :)

:)

nyx /mag are nice also

20 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

This seems like the best way to implement Umbra frames, but the problem is that Prime frames (along with default frames) might become somewhat obsolete. 

Like imagine spending 250p for Ash Prime if I can just farm Ash Umbra in 2-5 hours for free.

Maybe the prerequisite could be that you have to have the default Warframe to summon an Umbra frame (either using a certain frames to lure in a corresponding Umbra, or using said frame with an Umbra blueprint to give it sentience, and it runs away). 

You could even have it like the Sister hounds, where killing an Umbra frame gives you the bp for it (along with a random Umbra weapon), and then you either (A) need the default frame to upgrade to an Umbra, or (B) it's its own WF farm where it drops bp/Neuro/chassis/systems. 

i dont know about obsolete, as for primes we do have the capacity to earn them for FREE via relics and even twitch drops, and that can take time also ingame 2-5hrs if not more via RNG (RIP) 

id defiantly state a perquisite should be required, these shouldn't be something a new play can just get easily, it should be targeted for mr 10 + maybe? (or 16+?)

mind you, i think having all perquisites up too ,or after new war/duviri should be a given, but it should have something beyond that to hunt a specific frame , such as having built and maxed frame to 30 , or sacrifice a max rank or consume a max rank of that frame to get that "hunt" to be available , that way its a bit of work and  time sink in? 

so say NYX umbra was my desired, I could offer a rank 30 NYX to the "Eclipse Paradox" gateway (PH Name) and have the Hunt for Nyx umbra be active and available, and i can go through the gate or have it summoned to run around the system and hunt similar to a sister/lich 

youd only be able to hunt one at a time, and they must be completed were we transfer and resolve their "memories" or something like that id assume?

I do concur with you on the drops , Excal Umbra came full built with skijiati , however thats a quest mainline freebie , for the other umbras id state their BP aand weapon BP + a new Mod (+maybe a ephemera? ) would be perfectly in line with the nemesis system and allow players to get them and build them 

maybe need an umbra forma to build one , im unsure as those can be fairly rare , but then that also would link the sink in to be a bit more valued to the player possibly ?

2 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

i dont know about obsolete, as for primes we do have the capacity to earn them for FREE via relics and even twitch drops, and that can take time also ingame 2-5hrs if not more via RNG (RIP) 

A lot of prime frames are vaulted and therefore are only available once a year via prime resurgence or by trading (and rarely, they have a chance at being featured once at tennocon).

The ability to circumvent that would definitely damage the prime frame market, as a new player could go "I like Ash, Ash Prime is being sold for 200p rn, but I can farm his Umbra variant instead that's just as good as Ash Prime within 3 hours". 

Because of this, maybe there should be a way to implement trading, such as Umbra frames giving tradable blueprints (which unlike primes can always be farmed) or using the whole Kuva Lich room we already have. 

I also suggest in order to avoid burnout/needless annoyance for de, only the og 8 frames get Umbra variants as opposed to making one for every single frame. It also would create an effect similar to that of Excalibur Umbra where there will be people who main them for being a special rarity.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

A lot of prime frames are vaulted and therefore are only available once a year via prime resurgence or by trading (and rarely, they have a chance at being featured once at tennocon).

The ability to circumvent that would definitely damage the prime frame market, as a new player could go "I like Ash, Ash Prime is being sold for 200p rn, but I can farm his Umbra variant instead that's just as good as Ash Prime within 3 hours". 

Because of this, maybe there should be a way to implement trading, such as Umbra frames giving tradable blueprints (which unlike primes can always be farmed) or using the whole Kuva Lich room we already have. 

I also suggest in order to avoid burnout/needless annoyance for de, only the og 8 frames get Umbra variants as opposed to making one for every single frame. It also would create an effect similar to that of Excalibur Umbra where there will be people who main them for being a special rarity.

but again we have relics and ability to get said primes at any time with trade

as i suggested newer players dont get the option to just go get the umbra variant with what ive stated prior, the perquisites are required heavily in a few ways and prevent early access 

On de side, to prevent burnout a phase deployment is suggested , 3 frames at a time done in updates of de choosing, and possibly have them on rotation like primes, 3 go in, eclipse changes, then 3 come out type of idea can also be implemented. 

there is simply no way de can chug out 50+ frames for all umbras at once, thus I  stated the set at a time to prevent burn out.

people like rare/exclusive/posturing/posering that's more on them then players at large, most just play their own frames based on aesthetics or style of play , thus why fashion frame is such a big part of the community 

the problem is prime =(equivalent)= Umbra , they both have their benefits and downsides but are simply side grades geared for different purposes , we already have it were primes are easier to get than the normal variants  and build anyway, with this it only provides a equivalent frame thats again locked behind everything else at this point 

these are prerequisites  seem ok

• new war completion and ALL perquisites
  • zariman unlocked 
  • Duviri
  • helmith unlocked -subsume
  • liches unlocked
  • MR 10+ maybe MR 16? 
  • umbra system unlocked 
  • ?

overall this is geared for long term players and reward them with the option to obtain as such 

Edited by (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako
fixes for clarity
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

but again we have relics and ability to get said primes at any time with trade

as i suggested newer players dont get the option to just go get the umbra variant with what ive stated prior, the perquisites are required heavily in a few ways and prevent early access 

On de side, to prevent burnout a phase deployment is suggested , 3 frames at a time done in updates of de choosing, and possibly have them on rotation like primes, 3 go in, eclipse changes, then 3 come out type of idea can also be implemented. 

there is simply no way de can chug out 50+ frames for all umbras at once, thus I  stated the set at a time to prevent burn out.

people like rare/exclusive/posturing/posering that's more on them then players at large, most just play their own frames based on aesthetics or style of play , thus why fashion frame is such a big part of the community 

the problem is prime =(equivalent)= Umbra , they both have their benefits and downsides but are simply side grades geared for different purposes , we already have it were primes are easier to get than the normal variants  and build anyway, with this it only provides a equivalent frame thats again locked behind everything else at this point 

these are prerequisites  seem ok

• new war completion and ALL perquisites
  • zariman unlocked 
  • Duviri
  • helmith unlocked -subsume
  • liches unlocked
  • MR 10+ maybe MR 16? 
  • umbra system unlocked 
  • ?

overall this is geared for long term players and reward them with the option to obtain as such 

Good points, but I thought of something else, which is probably one of the reasons why we don't have multiple Umbras as of 2023: 

If too many frames get an Umbra variant, won't they lose some of their value and just become Prime Access 2.0? 

Like Excalibur Umbra has uniqueness because obviously he's the "Excalibur Prime" for the majority of the playerbase, but he's also Excalibur Umbra because it's Excalibur, the first Warframe, the mascot, the one and only. (You get the idea.)  

If everyone gets an Umbra, the whole idea of Umbra variants being unique to special frames (like Excalibur) kinda dies out, and Excalibur Umbra will just become "another one of them" or "the freebie Umbra character." 

Remember that DE almost gave Nidus an Umbra variant because of him being a "special case." 

Therefore there has to be something that keeps Umbra frames from overriding all of the Primes, and still gives them plenty of value. 

I already suggested Umbra variants being the og frames, but other examples could be the other starter frames (Volt, Mag, and Loki) or Styanax (to commemorate him being the 50th frame and to truly make him Excalibur's counterpart).

As for new players unlocking Umbra frames too quickly, most new players quickly unlock Excalibur Umbra, afterwards they go for New War, with the only HARD requisite being necramechs, meaning a new player could immediately start unlocking helminth and necramechs (since people will obviously help them learn how to get said frames; new players already obsess over Excalibur Umbra and the Primes) and then go for Umbra frames.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

4 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Good points, but I thought of something else, which is probably one of the reasons why we don't have multiple Umbras as of 2023: 

If too many frames get an Umbra variant, won't they lose some of their value and just become Prime Access 2.0? 

Like Excalibur Umbra has uniqueness because obviously he's the "Excalibur Prime" for the majority of the playerbase, but he's also Excalibur Umbra because it's Excalibur, the first Warframe, the mascot, the one and only. (You get the idea.)  

If everyone gets an Umbra, the whole idea of Umbra variants being unique to special frames (like Excalibur) kinda dies out, and Excalibur Umbra will just become "another one of them" or "the freebie Umbra character." 

Remember that DE almost gave Nidus an Umbra variant because of him being a "special case." 

Therefore there has to be something that keeps Umbra frames from overriding all of the Primes, and still gives them plenty of value. 

I already suggested Umbra variants being the og frames, but other examples could be the other starter frames (Volt, Mag, and Loki) or Styanax (to commemorate him being the 50th frame and to truly make him Excalibur's counterpart).

As for new players unlocking Umbra frames too quickly, most new players quickly unlock Excalibur Umbra, afterwards they go for New War, with the only HARD requisite being necramechs, meaning a new player could immediately start unlocking helminth and necramechs (since people will obviously help them learn how to get said frames; new players already obsess over Excalibur Umbra and the Primes) and then go for Umbra frames.

i don't know about value loss for primes :thinking:

to what i recall steve had stated a few times he actually did want umbra's to be  a "thing" like the primes, so unlike PA , in this regard they would be made as a ingame earnable setup , and i dont think that would be bad thing and would restrict it by its requirements. maybe with rotations in whos out/in or available.

problem is primes have a HUGE surplus in relics, in parts available, even if they are vaulted or not present you can easily type WTB in trade and get them for lower cost then PA and then build them and have a better starting frame.

infact PA allows new players to bypass MR limitations for bought items via this method (tested it on my pc account) , so in truth PA is detrimental to the MR system and the isolation of players to gear only within their available ranks, allowing new players to have access to weapons they wouldn't normally be able to use normally.

with the Eclipse system , we are discussing a rotation 3 frames , possibly yearly or quarterly(?) that allows players to obtain a umbra variant , this is equivalent to primes and is just for aesthetics and the weapon/mod offered with it 

i chose three as a base point for a few reasons

• variety /options
  • Mod set of three (collect all for max setup)
  • 3 weapons
  • easy creation for DE 

the issue with umbra variants in terms of implementation i can think of, is selecting which power to be the umbra special one to debuff sentients, which one is picked will help determine its play style. as an example a nyx umbra using her 2 as umbra would be a cone target while a chaos umbra power would be similar to radial howl. both would be fine but each would change how you focus and deal with sentient types 

The purpose of the Umbra system isnt to make them overly special as bragging rights, similar to umbra its to offer players alternatives/choices and variance in builds  

the problem is DE does make a lot of $ off newer players or those whales *cough* who buy items/ect , now this isnt bad as money keeps game afloat and pays staff salaries , the issue is balancing reward vs costs , in this i feel umbras should have cosmetic packs (eclipse bundles?) that offer things like Excalibur umbra's sacrifice bundle did, armor for kubrow/kavat, frame armor, skins ect , thus allowing de to monetize some new assets to newer players , but the obtainment system is still locked to its requirements, would allow players to work towards the umbra goal, so it shouldn't be paywalled , nor should it be to hard to get as if players miss a eclipse rotation that would cause salt, though possibly a alleviation of this , is to offer the sale (in trade chat) of the hunt itself such as with other liches, players can sell/share and allow others to hunt them even after rotation is gone, keeping them inline with primes. a possible solution is using the clans -void lab , to create /obtain the key/segment/device? to open the access to system, possibly clan rank to be involved.

this core issue is to keep the primes and umbras equivalent , to allow access and use is fine, but limitations must exists, to put more value on umbras by placing them behind to many grind walls, (already is fairly decent per suggestions prior)  as a prime you can simply just earn relic and crack it at a low rank MR or buy it from trade or PA . so we must not overly reach on umbras value as all that will due will lead to elitism in mentality and flaunting, and i personally dont wish to see them be used in that way. my personal belief is everyone should have umbras if they want them, but i do realize the economics and issues with such mentality, so players should have a experience hunting/earning them i think, but if we lock it to far/hard we risk loosing players interest or stroke a small precents ego for no relative back flow of cash back into the game , cost wise this doesn't make sense.

so there must be Engagement, decent percentage able to access, and utilization of said system or else it will fall through both as a game "mode" and as a profit point venture  for de. this is probably why duviri is open to zariman access iirc (per devstreams) and not behind further walls, so player base as a majority can engage and be utilized so its not a wasted venture at launch with low player number stats . I do understand the players "veteran" point of view for endgame or special rewards for long time play as time was well spent, but in effect thats a far end of the goal for profiting 

now, in regards to the benefits to the umbras that we have, below, however primes offer their own benefits/visuals that some prefer , the specter mode is good on umbras for mobs, but its not the smartest or most aggressive (unlike wukongs) and tends to die /become immobile,  in major fights with boss types ect, thus is double edged  .

• innate umbra polarity -umbra mod sets
  • can use umbra specter mode (double edge sword)
  • a sentient debuff power - umbra passive -sentient play gearing

vs primes

• death orbs (void play benefit) -prime passive
  • varied polarity setups - quick to setup with prime/standard mods 
  • no specter mode - no damage when in operator mode

this shows there is a bit of play between the frame types but overall they level out (IMO) , primes are open to all at release however if we look at the sacrifice as a introduction to umbra line , we can see that to get to excalibur umbra . a player must be rank 5 minimum(star chart requirement) and Completed Apostasy Prologue and all prior requirements , thats is a moderate amount of input time, and the reason many prefer umbra not just as a excal prime equivalent is due to his visuals, he is a very aesthetically designed frame. (is my favorite anyway...) 

now the details of system and requirements would be  up to DE, what we are discussing is simply to give them ideas, to incorporate these frames into the game, as prior they had no plan set when it was shelved/last discussed on dev 152 iirc? , and offer them some possible creative avenues 

i cant say my suggestions or anyone else's are above one another as we are all equivalent in capacity to discuss and suggest, thats the point of discussion. i just want to try and understand all points  of view and help everyone get to the end goal ^w^ which is more umbra frames in game 

in terms of the umbra frames to come i can see styanax getting one, but i dont recall the nidus incident being mentioned oddly , however i recall plenty of fan topics about it being brought up, though i do recall them discussing his lore and setup being special via helminth integration , de prior discussed an initial topic of a limited umbra frame pool in dev 58 (i do watch and document most of them since am-bunny stopped....) 

personally for umbra frames i think some OG are fine, but also giving access to newer frames that wont see a prime for some time, might also be a benefit, as then de have a premade mesh that can be altered to be the prime setup later one (two birds one stone mentality) 

• Like 2

What I'd like to see in the game:

1. No new Umbral frames.

2. Alternate Umbral skins for Prime warframes

3. Echo of Umbra done properly: a permanent removable sentience passive that can be applied to any Prime warframe. Sentience overrides death orb passive.

4. Command mode (similar to Kahl) for frames with sentience passive via Operator/Drifter 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xaero said:

What I'd like to see in the game:

1. No new Umbral frames.

2. Alternate Umbral skins for Prime warframes

3. Echo of Umbra done properly: a permanent removable sentience passive that can be applied to any Prime warframe. Sentience overrides death orb passive.

4. Command mode (similar to Kahl) for frames with sentience passive via Operator/Drifter 

well ...1: is gone off the bat id say as is 2 , as prior de staff have stated umbras wont be skins (specifically DE Danielle did a post on it regards Excalibur )  and more frames will follow Excalibur umbra this has been confirmed in 4+ devstreams , 58 is initial one if youd like to watch it its in the FAQ as is danis post screenshotted iirc 

3: it is possible if they listened to feedback and implementation setups some suggested , as a toggle on off and earnable it makes more sense then a grind fest 

4: possible but implementation needs to be tethered into the specter system in general before it can be used id assume , but no reason i can see code wise or game wise not using it down the road ? 

14 hours ago, Xaero said:

This would be the best solution imo. Give other frames the Umbra passive but without taking away Umbra's special rarity (not that more Umbra frames are bad, but I'm worried it will get oversaturated to the point Umbra rarity is no longer special).

23 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

well ...1: is gone off the bat id say as is 2 , as prior de staff have stated umbras wont be skins (specifically DE Danielle did a post on it regards Excalibur )  and more frames will follow Excalibur umbra this has been confirmed in 4+ devstreams , 58 is initial one if youd like to watch it its in the FAQ as is danis post screenshotted iirc

Been here since the start, know it all. Yet nothing stops DE from scrapping their initial ideas (as they have done numerous times) and implement the stuff in a smarter way. Why add another frame variant? To damage Prime Access/Resurgence sales if new Umbras are at least on par with Primes? Better make alternate skins, it will probably even boost the sales a bit in cases where some people don't like original Prime design yet like Umbral alternative.

And I was just voicing my own opinion, not a prediction.

4 hours ago, Xaero said:

Been here since the start, know it all. Yet nothing stops DE from scrapping their initial ideas (as they have done numerous times) and implement the stuff in a smarter way. Why add another frame variant? To damage Prime Access/Resurgence sales if new Umbras are at least on par with Primes? Better make alternate skins, it will probably even boost the sales a bit in cases where some people don't like original Prime design yet like Umbral alternative.

And I was just voicing my own opinion, not a prediction.

yes , i was just answer based on what info i have available, de do often change their minds or alter stuff later on to suit a update or style they have in mind, we wont specifically know until they do it 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

when you wish for multiple umbras is answered with another excal umbra  

no complaints ...  

GBw9LJMaMAAH3Lo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Poor Umbra's about to have an identity crisis!

I do wonder if we're ever gonna get another Umbra. The direction of the game doesn't seem to be supporting it any more, since the Space Opera angle has been replaced with more of a future fantasy type deal. But, perhaps!

(we have also been getting a lot more legends of Warframes not really acting like Warframes. Granted in plenty of cases it's implied it's just the Tenno being the Tenno, but I really, really don't want to consider Dagath's lore through that angle.)

• Like 1

On 2023-12-21 at 6:18 AM, Hexerin said:

Excalibur Umbra was a way for DE to give non-founders Excalibur Prime. Don't count on any more ever happening, especially considering how long it's been.

from the 1st discovery of excalibur umbra prime , it took roughly 3.5 years to get it separated and to global/all as Excalibur umbra , during that time many said the same thing as you have , dont think it will happen, lost cause, wont happen , give up, ECT...  so from my experience its a bit early to giveup , ill keep monitoring and waiting as long as it takes , i beat cancer already, so why not ? 

it took de 5+ years to put a bird they showed in one the OG streams into the game as a condroc ... so overall things may or may not happen but it will be at a snails pace given the staffing and development of newer stuff usually takes precedence unless they can mash it in somehow to further buff the content of the new idea but thats IMO 

the sacrifice was specifically done to appease the changeyou agreement (in the op) that umbra excalibur (not to be confused with excalibur umbra prime) was to be made available to global /everyone and could not be obtained via $ and had to make its acquirement unique to provide normal players with a direct excalibur upgrade  (side grade) to compare equally to prime (ish)  aka de was not allowed to sell or just give it away it had to be earned 

in all the devstreams following excal umbra primes discoveory they have specifically stated more umbras will come (its in the OP under news if you want to read) 

"We have had internal discussions about creating new Umbra Warframes, but there are no plans yet! It isn’t likely that any new ones would be lore dependent like Excalibur Umbra"

sheldon reading rebs notes, iirc specifically states excalibur umbra will be coming to global , more umbras will be coming following excalibur umbra.

excalibur Umbra is set much like excalibur prime to be the 1st of the new line of frames. Now given posterboy is typically the starter frame of each type its not hard to believe  excalibur Umbra was the start of a new frame line (side grade/darker variant to the primes) as i recall them described 

however due to various situations and issues that arose, they ,like many things were shelved due to covid19s impact

in a later interview it was talked by DE: pablo , (before he and reb  got promoted ) that no plans were in the making to mass create 50+ new umbra frames, also no reworks , and no channeling replacement.

players have suggested umbras much like primes should be slowly introduced, given its just redecorating an existing frame and adding a new glow effect on cast of 1 power, it shouldnt be that crazy of a implementation or burden if its done like the primes , as a yearly limit of 2-3 and drip fed in. some suggested to make it a new lich system were we beat/obtain them after fighting them like liches (id be down for that) 

at this time on reflection the statment by pablo , this was when the older devs were still in charge, however as we saw they split off to soulframe and steve eventually is also now the CEO 

steve (voice of umbra ) has specifical stated he wanted them to become their own thing originally like the primes , and afterword many of the things pablo stated in that interview were proven to be the contrary as we got a few warframe rerworks he stated wouldnt be happening (major was one finally for hydroid) , channeling seems to be reintroduced as TennoKai as in game it uses same sound effects and dissolution of enemies as channeling did

personally i hold it with a grain of salt as devs are fickle and can change their mind, but given the track record and them going to state specifically whats tome someday , it will probably appear as its own update or thing , eventually. will it occur in the next few years? im doubtful , as devs seem to finally have setup some planning ahead and trying to iron out a solid roadmap for their games developemnt for a while. i just wont lose hope tenno

On 2023-12-21 at 2:13 AM, Loza03 said:

Poor Umbra's about to have an identity crisis!

I do wonder if we're ever gonna get another Umbra. The direction of the game doesn't seem to be supporting it any more, since the Space Opera angle has been replaced with more of a future fantasy type deal. But, perhaps!

(we have also been getting a lot more legends of Warframes not really acting like Warframes. Granted in plenty of cases it's implied it's just the Tenno being the Tenno, but I really, really don't want to consider Dagath's lore through that angle.)

spiderman point at each other meme

per what i know and whats been stated repeatedly by the devs , excalibur umbra was to be the start of a new line, the problem was they wont to my understanding make more based on lore/quest , which given many new frames are mini quests or obtained via tilesets its understandable, they just tie some minor lore or story to it to make it click into the mainline 

if de was gonna make more umbras, theyd probably implement them in some eternalisim method , that we  obtain via some reason 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023-12-21 at 6:51 PM, (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako said:

I'll keep monitoring and waiting as long as it takes, I've beaten cancer already, so why not ?

Glad you have beaten cancer, always a good thing! o7

However, I do hope that at some point you'll finally stop monitoring and waiting since you'll end up waiting until the end of time, although I am a bit hopeful too that we get another Umbra Frame at least. The only Frame that feels fitting right now is Nyx Umbra (given the original Nyx was Fem Excal and to sorta give a gentle nod to that). 

I do have a solid idea/concept of what an Umbra Nyx would be like (in terms of Powers and Lore) but to be fair so does everyone and their grandmother.

New umbra frames have probably been put on the back burner much like The Sergeant rework, re-introducing raids, etc have been.

1 hour ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Glad you have beaten cancer, always a good thing! o7

However, I do hope that at some point you'll finally stop monitoring and waiting since you'll end up waiting until the end of time, although I am a bit hopeful too that we get another Umbra Frame at least. The only Frame that feels fitting right now is Nyx Umbra (given the original Nyx was Fem Excal and to sorta give a gentle nod to that). 

I do have a solid idea/concept of what an Umbra Nyx would be like (in terms of Powers and Lore) but to be fair so does everyone and their grandmother.

If they previously expressed interest then it's likely it will eventually happen. There have been other times where things DE has outright said something would never be added but ended up being added much later like dancing, so in regards to new umbra frames the situation is far more likely to actually turn out. 

Keep up that hope OP, your dedication is admirable!

• Like 1

DE have said they aren't planning on doing any more Umbra frames. it was only done with Excalibur so that non-founders could have an upgraded variant of him. 

I wouldn't say no to more Umbras, especially Umbra Rhino, but it's almost certainly not gonna happen.

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

DE have said they aren't planning on doing any more Umbra frames. it was only done with Excalibur so that non-founders could have an upgraded variant of him. 

I wouldn't say no to more Umbras, especially Umbra Rhino, but it's almost certainly not gonna happen.

I just want the Umbral passive, that would be huge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

I just want the Umbral passive, that would be huge.

They already proposed a system that'd let you do just that to any frame but it got scraped.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

DE have said they aren't planning on doing any more Umbra frames

Source on this? Because...

14 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

it was only done with Excalibur so that non-founders could have an upgraded variant of him

...this part is false. Years and years ago they DID intend on more Umbra frames as per Devstream 58

• Like 1