Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 21.4.0] Hydroid Revisited Feedback

[DE]Danielle

Hydroid Prime's tentacles are visual downgrade compared to non prime version

i mean what happened?

Normal Hydorid's tentacles : pretty and transparent with cool wattery effect , slight energy color at the bottom

Hydroid prime's tentacles : poorly patched together squid texture that looks like from a game released in 2000 , weird energy color patterns 

Edited by Lythael

Please make hydroid more active inside the puddle. Make him able to surface half of his body in the puddle so that he can USE WEAPON while inside it (this can be done by pressing Ctrl key or couching key), With this, he can be more active to shoot outside and into the puddle himself.

Edited by Windy_Wind

I know many complaints are for Undertow, but I have one personal suggestion for Tempest Barrage. Remove the charging mechanic, increase the duration, and make it an aura that follows Hydroid. If Hydroid aims down-sights, Tempest Barrage will also target in the direction Hydroid is aiming. This would make Hydroid feel more thematically powerful, the Storm Caller, the Rain Maker, every step he takes the torrential downpour will always follow.

Right now, his theme does not feel apparent in his gameplay. We've got a water pirate that commands the seas, but only Tentacle Swarm has the "oomph" to make his theme feel as powerful and  cool as we'd like. Tempest Barrage currently just feels like a second Tentacle Swarm, but with less targeting range, less reliability, less damage...you get the point. Make the skill feel like it's own, and make the player feel empowered while using it.

Hey specifically for Undertow, I thought at first that enemies were noticing the puddle and trying to keep from walking in it, then i realized though that whats really happening is that when an enemy sinks into the puddle, they sink right at the rim of it, however their collision box is still right at the edge of the puddle so enemies cant walk past them, similar to the effect of a bunch of enemies getting jammed in a door or a tight corridor. 

I think a good way to fix this would be if his puddle was modified so that enemies that have sunk into the puddle slowly gravitate to the center of his puddle. This resolves the issue of enemies jamming up on seemingly nothing, while also pitching in the bonus of having drops in a nice tidy pile at the center of the puddle where the enemies should be dying.

The effect can be seen here in these pictures, these enemies were running full force to the point and are being halted via invisible enemies at the edge of the puddle.

Spoiler

295ff7eb03f68617d6cab0b7f7daba78.jpg

415f6a6a28f559ae3610209b8e78dc83.jpg

f4626f2018189d7b566273c45d588caa.jpg

Hopefully we can get this fixed! Other then that Hydroid is fun! Great work DE! :3

Hydroid/Hydroid primes abilities glitchy on Ps4

Holding the ability button down for Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm to charge won't activate without another tap on the button. Its terribly irritating having to tap the button again to activate! No other warframe has this glitchy method to charge I really hate this feature! Please help!

It will work after spamming it once using the charge method. However, on a fresh cast of either ability it still gets locked powering up and charging without casting it.  Another press is required and its too late your vulnerable especially with the controller.

This charge method is not practical.

Any one else experianced this? Please, I've tested and tested hold/tap toggle with no satifactory fix for it.

Please fix this de.

Its easy fix - don't require another press on the controller for it to fully charge and activate completely.

Otherwise good frame good rework.

Edited by (PS4)Techmagi

Might as well bring this into this thread:

On 8/19/2017 at 1:49 AM, RunningTree3 said:

re: Undertow and companion abilities

I have been thinking about this issue that led to the decision to disable sentinel/companion abilities while in Undertow, and I certainly also feel the sentiment that losing companion support abilities is a big loss. So here is a crazy suggestion for Undertow alternative:

Hydroid only partially submerges waist deep, no longer becoming invulnerable (perhaps 50% DR similar to Inaros Sandstorm?).
Now able to use weapons to shoot, block, melee strike if it reaches.
Sentinels/companions no longer submerged and remain active, but also vulnerable.
Items can be picked up or carried; consoles can be interacted with if close enough.
Press 3 to enter Undertow, 3 again for harpooning into pool, use jump or roll to cancel out of Undertow.

Bonus: Crouch to fully submerge and become invulnerable: lose ability to use weapons; sentinels/companions also submerged, are invulnerable but also inactive; cannot pickup items or interact. Abilities and harpooning still usable. Un-crouch to return to partial submersion.

Seems like Hydroid Prime's Kraken tentacles are solid with glowy spots and patterns. Any chance we can get a toggle in Appearance page for the default transparent water tentacles (those look cooler IMO and lets me see behind them)?

Edited by PsiWarp

Through experience there is room for improvement. 

•    The first ability has always been up to debate if it should just have more base duration and if it should stay in place it was used , or follow, also determine if it will be a toggle ability with a set of energy per a second.between 1-3 energy based on the decision. Depending how the locating of the barrage goes and it's duration or toggle of the ability goes it can have 'synergy' with the Corroding Barrage augment to defeat armored enemies and still work with Pilfering Swarm to loot on top of that. This would put Hydroid in a better spotlight. The 'tool kit' would excel in a better direction, even if the wrong crowd would want to spam that Hydroid would not be 'under powered enough to their standard'. 

•    Tidal Surge does grab enemies; but it is unknown if it was meant to bring all of the enemies within Undertow or just leave out the enemies to the back of the puddle's direction. Maybe a stronger tidal wave could improve the grip on the enemies as well as to keep the enemies that are in the Undertow puddle. The improvement on the effectiveness of this ability can keep a steady flow of the 'synergy' going to grab all of those high priority enemies and to neutralize them in effective crowd controlling.

•    Undertow can use more range for it's puddle.to keep up in range upgrades. A 10 meter puddle at max range can be functional, even if it needed graphic changes to not slow down the game by any significance or use added rendering when moving in Undertow. The damage build up in the puddle is not overwhelming as criticized by some crowds, since the ability has taken time to subdue a enemy alone where the ability weighs in the amount of enemies in Undertow. When used it can not be said that Hydroid will steal all of the enemies from other player with Undertow and it's grapple ability to it to pull them in, since they can target the puddle as teamwork. It gives no grounds for it to be toned down to the preference of such crowds, especially with the option to have Undertow reach 10 meters if the range limit was not capped.

•    Tentacle Swarm, like Tempest Barrage, has received more demand to 'seek' more accurately and precisely, or in other words, be more 'aggressive' . Although a challenge to perfect for some mechanics in the game an example can be seen with Nekros's Army of Shadows, where each spawned 'specter' can perform according to their 'A.I'. Since, in that area of spawning a number of 'specter' units where update patches could not bring bigger crowds of enemies and Nekros got half of their specter units limit, maybe something can be done to increase the number of Tentacles, balance the rendering for the processing speeds to prevent the game from crashing, and still improve the A.I of the Tentacle Swarm. Also a increase in range may be helpful in making those functions add up.

•    The casting speed of charged abilities can be faster. When casting the charged abilities Hydroid is vulnerable to some attacks, given different scenarios. Although moment is allowed while charging the ability the 'Ash treatment' would help.Using a one handed sidearm could be possible to use while casting or in other consideration, allow casting and still be able to attack. That can help with a possible 25% to 30% in boosting casting speed; if shaving off two seconds on the charging would not be possible.

•    Rewording on the Pilfering Swarm augment would help with those unfamiliar with Hydroid to give the looting effect a try. Although some crowds would want to oppose the ability outright, again there have been changes to the drops to some materials over time; so they can not demand to shut it down. It helps to understand the quality of the character as of now, since the prime is out to confirm the theme of the character.

Why don't let Tidal Surge drains x energy per sec and give it full control of movement? So you can  ̶r̶u̶s̶h̶/flush through enemies on entire map  :)

also passive is a really big meh...

Passive for example: Liquid body: 10%-20% less physical damage taken

Edited by Arczi125

5 hours ago, Melos-mevim said:

I think hydroid could strongly benefit from improved scaling damage on his tentacles, currently its a lack luster ability with annoying meh CC when it could very much well be a powerful scaling damage ability

IMO they really should have made either Tentacle Swarm or Tempest Barrage into the scaling damage ability, not Undertow. 

11 minutes ago, BrazilianJoe said:

Shooting either puddle or tentacles should spread damage to all enemies trapped in both puddle and tentacles. Power Synergy!

That would be nice. Even if it's just 50% total damage like for Undertow, if tentacles had that functionality then I would love to use it every chance I get (especially when not rocking AoE weapons).

I think I figured out the "undertow bug" (if you really wanna call it that). I think AOE is calculating its damage for undertow based on n/2 x base damage, with n being the amount of enemies in undertow. So instead of the base damage getting reduced to half, which is what I think was intended, it's actually multiplying.

After some further play, Hydroid certainly has become more fun to play compared to before, with his best aspects enhanced.

A few thoughts stick out:

* Tidal Surge while in Undertow should cost half the energy cost if the travel distance is halved.

* Tidal Surge could follow the development of Rhino Charge:
Power Range is what should determine the distance travelled (not Duration), and have fixed speed [no more crashing into walls at high speed; or becoming a dribble because of low duration], with successive casts having reduced energy costs and increased effect.

* Swarm tentacles still exhibit 'clumping', especially when initial enemy numbers are few:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/848221822274044586/8F5BC45399C58E8AEC4C8A0B14350679A8C92144/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/848221822274046173/57D3B96EDE37384631B364C1358628BF3D35DC58/

Perhaps some sort of minimum spacing between tentacles, for those that do not spawn underneath enemies.

Edited by RunningTree3

Here is an idea for his passive:

Whenever Hydroid collects Credits, Common resources, Rare Resources, Endo, and mods. He gains a minor 10 second buff for what he collected (only refreshes, doesn't stack.)

Common Resource: 10% armor buff (additive, think arcane guardian but tiny) for 10 seconds.

Rare Resource: a flat pulse of health 50HP, affected by power strength and 10% movement speed buff for 10 seconds.

Credits: 5% speed boost for 10 seconds.

Endo: 10% weapon damage boost for 10 seconds.

Mods: 20M of enemy Radar for 10 seconds.

I think it would fit more thematically with a pirate, being greedy and loot hungry than... single tentacle that ends up being disappointing.

1. Holding down 1 and 4 to empower the abilities is a little awkward, my current keyboard doesn't even allow me to jump when charging Tempest Barrage and moving forward.

2. Hydroid's passive is useless to be totally honest, having to slam attack is just... mehh.

What about something like: After casting an ability, For 30 seconds a single Tentacle (which lasts 5 seconds) starts spawning automatically next to the closest enemy to Hydroid. Small duration so the Tentacle respawns and hits as many enemies as possible.

3. Tidal Surge is just... I just don't like this ability at all xD

It's my least used ability, I thought enemies would stay in Undertow even if you move, so I thought using Tidal Surge was a fast way of reaching a bunch of enemies, Though If you think about it, this could have been way too overpowered soooo... I don't know.

4. Let the Kraken be there until the ability ends pls! It's just a visual and that's why! It looks so freaking cool!!!!

At least when it is casted on the floor because on the ceiling it just looks weird lol.

Man... Now that I think about it... If only the Kraken was an actual summon like Atlas' Rumblers xD

I'm really enjoying the new Hydroid, he is way better now.

Loving the fact that you can cast any ability while in Undertow and that Tempest Barrage actually aims for the enemies.

Keep up the good work!

I am going to compile a list of all the problems i have with Hydroid that persists after his rework. I play on PS4, so some of these may or may not be present on the PC version.

1. The Charging Mechanic

- I have noticed that, when using the ability wheel, if i select one of Hydroid's chargable abilities, it will let me charge, and once the charge has ended, the ability will not actually happen. in fact, in order to cast one of his chargables WITHOUT charging, I must double tap the abilitiy's respective button. This makes Hydroid far more clunky to use, at least with a controller.

2.Tidal Surge's Anti-Synergy

-Tidal Surge and Undertow have a bit of an anti-synergy going on right now. Sure, you are able to cast Tidal Surge while in Undertow, but any enemies that were caught in Undertow will not be brought with you. This makes it so that if Hydroid wants to efficiently kill enemies, he must play passively and simply wait until he is able to grab them with a tentacle. this effectively makes casting Tidal Surge in Undertow useless, especially since it moves half the distance at the same cost.

3. Undertow's Range nerf

-why was Undertow's range nerfed? Sure, the tentacle helps make up for the lost range, but its still far less effective at picking up enemy groups than before. The biggest thing that this nerf accomplished was making Curative Undertow even worse (which is the least used augment, due to how small the AoE for the heal was even before the nerf, and how much energy it takes from Hydroid.

4.Undertow's Visuals

- Undertow still looks like  a small puddle. In order to make this ability look more threatening, it really should give the illusion that a deep ocean is within the range of Undertow.

5. Undertow's clunkyness

- Undertow moves your camera to the ground, making it hard to see anything. it also makes you unable to pick up items, which means your screen can get rather cluttered. instead of disabling vaccum, how about anything Undertow touches, Hydroid gets to pick up? its basically the same problem Old Cataclysm had.

Hydroid may or may not have even more problems than this, but these are what are the most readily apparent.

Edited by (PS4)Jennison99

I got an absolutely reasonable idea to makle tentacle swarm more usefull: allow the tentacles to submerge if they got no enemy in their grasp/just killed it and re-emerge to attack another one.this would solve ai just walking by like nothing is there

on a side note: tempest barrage effect radius isn't affected by range mods,,or is the arsenal bugged

7 hours ago, Serenna187 said:

I got an absolutely reasonable idea to makle tentacle swarm more usefull: allow the tentacles to submerge if they got no enemy in their grasp/just killed it and re-emerge to attack another one.this would solve ai just walking by like nothing is there

on a side note: tempest barrage effect radius isn't affected by range mods,,or is the arsenal bugged

Appears it is not, which is literally annoying. TBH, I only build him now for his 1st and 2nd skills, since puddle is obsolete for me, and Kraken is not good at his job anyway. (Yes, the random flailing and not grabbing of enemies, or tentacles appearing in weird places are still here)

18 hours ago, Serenna187 said:

Since 19.2.0 The War Within, Hydroid's Tempest Barrage was changed to a fixed 10m striking area, with Power Range affecting only the size of each blast.

This was missing from and added to the patch notes here (right at the end of the post):