The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Roadmap: Glassframe Quest & the Plains of Eidolon!

[DE]Rebecca

Guest Holdupnowyall
2 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Right, I'm further confused now. Nox says she will be out with PoE, Beta says, the quest will be out with PoE, yet @[DE]Rebecca says Gara has been delayed a week but will be out in the market regardless. So, early in the market before PoE or with PoE and quest delay. Once again, sorry, but Rebecca's wording confuses me.

She will be purchasedable via the market at launch and her parts will be collectable, the quest (and subsequently the blueprint) will not necessarily be available on launch because there is unrecorded dialog that they need from an unavailable voice actor.

13 minutes ago, MJ_GreenPL said:

If you're ok with that, I don't understand why you have a problem with Gara which as established is a "condensed" version of Garasu which is one of (and completely valid) words for glass in Japanese. No obscure connections and tangential themes, just straight up Glass in Japanese, shortened so it sounds more like a nickname and rolls off the tongue easily even in English.

No no, it's not a word for glass in Japanese, it's the English word for glass as it must be pronounced in Japanese, only it's not, because the end has been hacked off.

I'm personally a fan of "Glint", but my real problem with the name is that its entirely non-representative of the frame. For contrast, cut a few syllables off your favorite 3-syllable frame's name. Inar, Equin, Ivar, Ober, Titan, Octa; when chopped so crudely none of these names make any sense without jumping through hoops to bring them back to their original name or language origins. If that's the case, why cut off the end at all? It doesn't sound better; unless the intention is to make it suit some sort of pigdin talk by the people of Cetus, which by no means then would be required to be the frame's official name. You could even include it as an element of separation and cultural intrigue between the proper titles and names given by the Tenno and the local term for the same entity.

If I ran the zoo, I'd have the people of Cetus perhaps still call her "Gara", but have the official name and title by the standards of the Tenno be "Glint" or another cooler, more clear name.

Get it? Clear?

Edited by NekoWaffle
Puns are my reason for living.

POE?  Yes.  "Gara?"  No.  Please, no.  I apologize for coming off harshly here, but this is like making an artistry Warframe and then naming it "Creyola."  (Get it, because you change a single letter and it's Totally Not "Crayola.")

* Hari
  Heavily suggested by others in the thread.

* Cameo
  "Cameo glass" is an ancient Roman glass-carving style.

* Gemma
  The "Gemma Augustea" 1st century AD Roman carved relief in glass and obsidian.

* Vitreis
  Latin for "glassy" as in the shimmering surface of glass.  I heard a variation of this was actually on the vote list?

* Satsuma / Kiriko
  "Satsuma Kiriko" style Japanese glasswork-- Satsuma is also I believe one of the more famous clans/houses of the feudal era, which ties in with the samurai helmet.

There are so many insanely better names to choose from, even just disassociating it from the Naruto memes.  Please, consider pivoting on this one before it's too late-- hell, I just saw one that said "Glint"-- I'd take that over "Gara" any day of the week.

Guest TransferStable
2 hours ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

welcome to POE and glass frame \

latest.png?width=932&height=655

The love child of inaros and ember has risen. I hope she shatters all our expectations ;)

As many others stated, I'm quite discontent with the name chosen for Glassframe. Vitra was such a good pick. Distinctive name, quite clear on origin, and feminine sounding too (though femininity in a name is fairly inconsequential to myself).

I can only hope her kit is fun, though I'm not sure I will be playing her.

I am a lurker (love to read, don't like to share my opinions), but now I just can't keep silent. Whose idea was it to name such an awesome frame with terrible name like that?! I may understand, where it comes from, but it doesn't change the fact it is terrible. As other people said, you apparently had a choice of such cool, easily relatable names for it, you choose that? And if you base it in japanese, it can mean chicken bone, no one decided to check other meanings of that word?

I'm not angry about it, I'm just... disappointed I guess.

But I'm still hyped to play PoE SOON™

9 minutes ago, NekoWaffle said:

No no, it's not a word for glass in Japanese, it's the English word for glass as it must be pronounced in Japanese, only it's not, because the end has been hacked off.

I'm personally a fan of "Glint", but my real problem with the name is that its entirely non-representative of the frame. For contrast, cut a few syllables off your favorite 3-syllable frame's name. Inar, Equin, Ivar, Ober, Titan, Octa; when chopped so crudely none of these names make any sense without jumping through hoops to bring them back to their original name or language origins. If that's the case, why cut off the end at all? It doesn't sound better; unless the intention is to make it suit some sort of pigdin talk by the people of Cetus, which by no means then would be required to be the frame's official name. You could even include it as an element of separation and cultural intrigue between the proper titles and names given by the Tenno and the local term for the same entity.

If I ran the zoo, I'd have the people of Cetus perhaps still call her "Gara", but have the official name and title by the standards of the Tenno be "Glint" or another cooler, more clear name.

Get it? Clear?

First of all, I demand an apology for that pun :P

More importantly, though I would hate nothing more than for DE to use two different names in Cetus talk and Tenno talk. It wouldn't make sense and would be the first and probably only time in WF such thing has happened. I especially wouldn't want it to happen because, say, DE has all their stuff recorded and its too late to change but they have to change the Tenno name just because there was an outcry from people who haven't even given the name enough time to grow on them. At the *very* least Gara sounds like a name, it sounds like a name I could give to something like, say, a pet. One that is abstract enough to be unique but still has some reasoning behind it. As for shortening, yeah those names do sound butchered as hell, but I'd never shorten Ivara or Oberon since they're already short names (Equinox on the other hand...). I'm against shortening Valkyrie to Valkyr too, like what the hell? Why? The only answer I can think of is that DE wants to keep all their names as short as possible, 3 syllables at max, preferably 2. That is also the only reason why I would shorten Garasu to Gara, it's just something that would happen eventually through players since the last '-su' sound doesn't feel right in English. 

Majority of the alternate names suggested in the thread are either too convoluted or don't make sense. I don't think that Gara is the best name possible but I will defend it until I hear a better suggestion.

Glint isn't bad, but it honestly sounds more like an ability name, IIRC from dev stream her passive might be called that.

5 minutes ago, MJ_GreenPL said:

Majority of the alternate names suggested in the thread are either too convoluted or don't make sense.

Every single one of them is a direct reference to glass, the creation of glass, or glass themes. They all make sense, and they're all very simple to understand.

We've had various factions refer to the same thing by their own names, especially the Grineer (the wiki hasn't been updated, but both regular Grineer and the Kavor say a lot in their own language, implied or known to be things that have proper other names); I don't think it's outlandish to give a frame a lore-related name in addition to its proper name.

Ultimately in summary, I think the name does not describe the frame, it could be interpreted as racist or insensitive as a butchering of language, other suggested names were quite a lot better and I don't think the community likes the name either.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

However the quest for Gara is likely going to be delayed by a week, due to a scheduling conflict with one of our key Ostron actors… however, because Gara is ready, she will be in the Market for those able to support us. If you cannot, that’s fine too - we’ll be adding Gara’s parts to the Cetus reward tables to give you a head start for when her quest does release.

Frame Quests have this good side of rewarding the player with the parts or at least the blueprint. It is engaging in addition to discovering new stories and some lore.

Put a frame or whatever in the Market -behind a paywall- before allowing a free way to get it is a very bad move. This is disappointing from you. Sounds like a privilege given to the laziest and impatient users who buy everything and never put effort and time into your game. Do you desperately need money ? I'm not going to support you on this one because I strongly disagree with this move.

Guest The_PaStA
2 hours ago, morningstar999 said:

I still don't have harrow due to the impossible RNG on the chassis (60 runs no result) please don't keep making getting frames that hard T_T

I literally haave 20 chassis in PS4

Just now, toafarmer said:

I'm impressed that people are more concerned about the crappy name than the change in the marketing system of new frames. Wondering if lockboxes is next.

Well, they said it's because VA couldn't make it. What, you prefer whole update get delayed another week?