Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is mag a good warframe?

(XBOX)Artakka

Since the new update, I power leveled mag on Jupiter Io, with an affinity booster with nothing but the Zarr. I didn't really use her abilities, since I was so busy blowing things up. Is she worth keeping? Or should I trash her? What is she good for?

It also should be noted that I have most of the warframes in the game, so I have many alternatives to any reason I can think of using her.

Edited by (XB1)Young Boy HT
Clarification

Mag is good, but not everyone enjoys her play style. I'd say try her more to see if you like it or not, but don't make quick decision.

Here are my suggestions:

-Magnetize is her strongest ability. It works really well with Arca Plasmor or projectile weapons that has punch through in general. Try to find the weapon that works the best for you.

-Magnetize's augment Magnetized Discharge is very convenient. Most enemies won't last long under Magnetize, so manual detonation is very handy. It also disarms enemies.

-The augment Counter Pulse is highly recommended for more survivability if you are not running low duration build.

-Even though Polarize does not scale with enemy level, it still strip decent amount of armor. Also, if you are using the right weapon with Magnetize, you don't need to remove all enemy armor to kill them.

-Her first 3 abilities are one-handed ability. They can be used while reloading or doing anything.

-She uses quite a bit of energy tho.

Edited by yles9056

Mag is good, no matter what people say.

Her 1 is good for a first ability and pulls enemies ( and eventually loot ) towards you ; it can be used to knock down powerful enemies by making them ragdoll , giving you some more time to take them out.

Her 2 basically creates a bubble around an enemy which attracts all projectiles shot through it towards the center, it can be used in clusterfucks to literally stall the enemies forever ( the enemies will keep trying to run past the bubble and progressively get shot down while you take no damage since their bullets can't pass through it)  , as a realtively small safe zone ( you don't take damage while in the bubble...unless your enemies are using explosive weapons ), as a death zone...( pick a projectile weapon like the boltor and shoot at the bubble....the bullets will keep bouncing and bouncing for a while, killing all the enemies who pass through it ) and so on....it basically creates and negates room....and it's deadly if used after polarize ( Mag's 3 ).

Her is an "armor-strip" aoe which also eliminates enemy shields....as such...it deals a lot of aoe damage to factions such as Grineers and Corpus but is useless against infesteds.
This aoe now also replenishes your allies shields and creates shards which can be combined with your 2 to deal a ton of personal damage. 
The only issue is that it's not the strongest aoe ever end-game wise but you might still want to use it as a cc. 

Her now is another aoe which inflicts a knock down and moderate damage ; people used to complain about its casting being too slow and about its strenght being too low....now its casting time is quicker , it can be casted while moving ( like most of mag's other abilities, even though I haven't mentioned it ) and it adds stackable overshields to yourself and your party for each enemy damaged ; while it can be used as a damage aoe in early game this ability's purpouse is to be another really good support cc for you and for your party.

Mag's augment respectively allow her to :
- Jam enemy weapons and disable robotics for 4 seconds ( polarize augment )
- decrease the armor of the enemies hit by 50% and make them become unable to move for 7 seconds ( crush )
- pull drops towards yourself ( pull )

In conclusion....yea...I'd rate her as an 8/10 frame....she is not perfect but she is pretty good if you learn playing her.

I don't play her very often, but when I do... I really do enjoy it.

I'm the kind of person that prefers frames that have damage mitigation functions, where you don't so much tank as prevent the enemy from dealing damage to you at all, so with Mag's Magnetise up and soaking up all that damage instead of you? Great! (Remember to be standing on the other side of the bubble, even if you're inside the bubble, from the enemy, as their bullets get pulled to the middle before they become your damage, and if they hit you on the way through that can be painful.) Her CC that jams weapons and robotic enemies while restoring your shields? Great! Her 1 that puts a wide area of enemies on the ground or makes them fly through the air not shooting at you? Great!

Very useful frame to have on most missions, just don't build her for massive, massive range, or nobody's shots will hit anything except your bubbles, and that's rather annoying to most players.

You’re missing out

She’s good for exploding shields/armor with 3, relic fissures with 1 augment, camping chokpoints with 2 & now buffed 4 spam with efficiency 

Take her to plains and combine everything I mentioned. With decent duration or high range you’ll feel the power of Mag

Use Operator on squishy moments like hacks or revives though 

I think Mag is in a very good spot in that she can do her own thing and the Operator can supplement Mag's offerings.

If one played Mag before the new energy pool increase than Zenurik is not really mandatory.

Unairu -AoE Void Mode Clocking or Vazarin Focus healing/Invulnerability really help make a healthy partnership with Operator and Mag with assisting team-mates.

In addition to what Thaylien and (PS4)Chel-El said: Polarize is a useful Team & Objective Shield heal ability.

Pull combined with disarmed enemies can be melee friendly with Mag; really Mag's only weakness is fighting in Melee close quarters.

Or Void Dash with either normal Ragdoll or Stun (Naramon Executing Dash, Vazarin Sonic Dash, Madurai Void Radiance + Dash) these also allow for better Melee Survivability with Mag.

Thus allowing a 'Complete Package' with Mag Bolstering Gun DPS, stripping armor, disarming enemies, and efficiently healing Shields.

Supplemented with Operators more Tanky effective health pool, invulnerable Stealth mode, and additional CC to assist with Melee Mag play.

Yes, I find Mag to be a good Warframe. 

Mag is a high skill cap warframe, that can do amazing things... until you screw up at which you're toast.

This is really bad for a starter warframe, which is probably why she's considered bad and (IMO) either needs to be made easier to play, or swapped with another warframe that's a better starter frame.

I just decided to get Mag Prime the other day. Mag deserves way more credit than people give her. She's kind of an evasive caster in that she's super squishy but most of her abiliies provide either cc, are one handed, or provide shields. 

If I'm playing damage in a non-infested mission, I'll pick Mag. Her play style is at once fluid, defensive, and high risk/reward. I love it.

14 hours ago, TKDancer said:

her 1 being useless

Mass CC is always useful, damage is far from terrible given its range (compare either to Sonic Boom's and weep),
bonus Energy Orbs are always welcome (I believe you don't need to kill with Pull, just quickly kill enemies that have been Pull'd).

Try her e.g. in an Interception with lotsa Range, pulling enemies off the capture points (through walls / obstacles) is great :D

2 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Mass CC is always useful, damage is far from terrible given its range (compare either to Sonic Boom's and weep),
bonus Energy Orbs are always welcome (I believe you don't need to kill with Pull, just quickly kill enemies that have been Pull'd).

Try her e.g. in an Interception with lotsa Range, pulling enemies off the capture points (through walls / obstacles) is great :D

she has better CC options that dont send enemies flying around and dmg is pretty terrible

ive yet to ever see it spawn a single orb for me

thats an incredible niche use but fair enough

13 hours ago, KirukaChan said:

Get her Augments if you can, particularly Counter Pulse and Fracturing Crush. Those will give her a lot more options offensively and defensively.

FC augment may be meta but it’s the GPull aug that gives me the most fun. 

Remember that her 1 pulls both in a wide cone in front AND a small radius around her 

This means you get surprise goodies you didn’t intend to catch from the cone.

On bounties you can snatch plenty of orbs, the augment almost becomes an energy mod. And on fissures you can make it more interactive, if there’s any other frame that can interact with stuff like this I’d like to know/try